Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: VE War Review levels 21 - 30, is T4 better? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VE War Review levels 21 - 30, is T4 better?  (Read 2262 times)
waylander
Terracotta Army

on: October 06, 2008, 06:26:57 AM

Review Article Here

I'm hitting level 30 tonight, and I know some of you are into T4 already.  It seems that the issues listed in the review span across both T3 and T4 content. Honestly this has me worried because right now there is no way in hell I'd ever roll an ALT in this game with the leveling system as it currently stands.

My biggest game related concerns to date are:

1. Quests, Exp, Rewards
Massive exp drop off starting in T3. Quest rewards are way too low, and don't give out enough gear as you advance.  Public Quests in the higher tiers are usually done by very small groups, and stage II and III become virtually impossible. The influence needed to gain the rewards is also very high, and contributes to the idea that PQ's are a boring grind.

Imagine having to level an ALT in this game without scenario PVP exp rates as the game ages and new players aren't plentiful at lower tiers. I can't, and that's why I'll never roll an ALT unless they make PVE advancement better.

2. Gearing Out and Itemization

Renown gear is just terrible starting in T3, and the game forces you into long PQ grinds, PVE questing, or farming something like Mount Gunbad.  I'm looking at level 30 PVP gear for accessories with leading stats like +30 Initiative or +30 Ballistic skill and unimpressive resists. The gear just doesn't seem itemized correctly for most classes, and the PVE gear oddly enough does. Talismans are neat, but they can get very expensive on the auction house just for the temporary ones. But the PVP gear is so bad that even Talismans really can't help much.

General gearing out via Scenarios, RvR seems slow. I wish they could increase the frequency in which loot drops on player corpses.  Elf scenarios drop mostly elf based loot, same with the other races. I wish they would mix it up a little more considering each tier seems to have a favorite PQ and the others get abandoned.  When loot does drop its almost always green con stuff, and maybe its just me but tons of healer, engineer, mage junk drops while few tank weapons seem to drop.

3. Knockbacks and Roots vs diminishing returns

The more people hit level 30, the more these things seem to be out of control. We were fighting a lot of Zealots over the weekend, and they seemingly have some pulsing knockbacks. The result was that when I wasn't being chain rooted, a single Zealot (or maybe more..its hard to tell) could knock me back 3-5 in a single action.

Then there are the never ending roots. You can be chain rooted and they vastly overpower the skills used to mitigate them. I'm an Ironbreaker, so I get rooted and then hit Juggernaut to get out of it. I'll be rooted 5 more times before that skill even recycles.

I love the knockbacks and understand the need for roots, but there needs to be some serious consideration for some diminishing returns code or improvement of existing code if there is any.

4. Keep Upkeep

6 Gold per hour and 144 Gold per day for a keep that 6 people can ninja, and benefits that don't appear to be very tangible. I've been on record for a while as hating a siege system with Windows of Opportunity (Woo's) like Shadowbane and Age of Conan had, but I've also hated the fact that DAOC and now Warhammer Keeps change hands so easily. Part of that I think is because the guards in the outer/inner walls are so easy to take out compared to the mobs around the Keep Lord.

Bottom line is that it should take a real force, not 6 people, to take a keep, the upkeep should be more like 6 gold per day, and there should be some obvious benefits to owning one.

5. Scenarios and RvR

Scenarios that are popular are popular simply because of the exp/renown per hour potential.  The other scenarios force you to play the full time and if your team is getting rocked, your rewards are pretty bad.  The bauble and king of the hill scenarios are the most popular, so Mythic should consider that before making any adjustments.

RVR is picking up, but nowhere near as rewarding as just sticking with scenarios if you want to level via PVP with a decent rate of speed.

Mythic did it with DAOC with the RVR Zones, but maybe they should look at clustering scenarios so that you are queuing with a pool from multiple servers. That might help more scenarios pop, and might give a larger pool of players to still level via PVP with as the game ages.

Verdict

Much like AOC shined in the 1-40 range and lost its luster afterwards, Warhammer starts to smell a little once you move into Tier 3.  The way that PVE/PQ's and Gear are currently configured, leveling ALT's when the game is no longer new doesn't look appealing at all.

Considering AOC's great launch sales and then catastrophic retention rate it shows that a game has to get its act in gear much sooner than in the past or risk losing lots of people. The lower tiers are fun in WAR,but the real end game is in T4 so Mythic needs to really look at the issues that keep cropping up and figure out how to get people there better while also ensuring that people have the right amount of gear so they aren't insta kills when they show up.

We have folks in T4 and we have a T4 keep, but its slow since most of our server is still in T2-T3. Can anyone here give a good T4 overview?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:30:59 AM by waylander »

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:55 AM

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=14830.new#new

>_>

Direct conversation there?

In fact, I'm just going to C&P over there and lock this one.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: VE War Review levels 21 - 30, is T4 better?  
Jump to: