Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Otherland MMO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Otherland MMO  (Read 19731 times)
naum
Terracotta Army

on: October 01, 2008, 11:05:10 PM

Must not. Get Excited. It's not going to happen.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=249125

Otherland depicts a near-future world where the net rules all, and virtual-reality headsets that turn it into a surround sensory experience are commonplace. Everything from shopping to games has become an all-consuming alternate reality played out by humans ("Citizens", inhabiting their "sim" avatars) and computer-controlled AIs called Puppets.

In this world, the ultimate status symbols and playthings of the super-rich are their own personal virtual realities, tailored to their interests and specifications. But these come at a human cost. Without giving too much of the books' plot away, a sinister secret cabal of net overlords is feeding on the consciousnesses of innocent humans, trapping them in virtual space to make their personal fantasies that little bit more real.

You start the game as one of those consciousnesses in a place called the Land of the Lost, a nightmare scenario which you're trying to escape. You'll run, be killed, and reborn in a "baby" state as a simple, low-rent sim (though we suspect the game won't be using that term, for obvious reasons) - a blank, featureless avatar that can be male, female or even neither.
'Otherland' Screenshot 2

Flight tubes shoot you between sections of the Mall and other virtual realities.

As you increase in power, you learn to manipulate the appearance and properties of yourself and the world around you, and you learn to work with the "code" that underlies and defines everything in the Otherland multiverse (well, it's one hell of a rationale for levelling up). Only then will you be able to take on a more defined appearance, and this could blend you in with your surroundings, or express your wildest imaginings.

On rebirth, you'll arrive in what Real U calls "a chunk of real estate", a virtual space that becomes your own and that you'll return to in order to rebuild yourself - from scratch, but via shortcuts - every time you "die" in Otherland. This is connected to the game's hub, a neon-edged, Bladerunner-style virtual shopping and entertainment complex called Lambda Mall.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:38:14 PM

It better happen so I can gank the stupid monkey character.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:09:52 AM by Krakrok »
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 01:17:41 AM

As I said when I got the PR, something furry this way comes.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 05:53:49 AM

So...Second Life meets the Matrix meets .hack... Ohhhhh, I see.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:06:33 AM

I don't know. Either this game will be in development for 10+ years or they simply won't have anything that comes near the worlds those books draw for their readers.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:51:28 AM

Interesting. I don't see where the "game" is here, but it's an interesting setting.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:23:42 AM

It's pavlovian.  I saw "Otherland MMO" and I was immediately excited.  But I dunno, is there a game in this?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 11:35:24 AM

I thought that book was unreadable and I have read all of Tad Williams' other stuff.

I have never played WoW.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:06:19 PM

There is no way this can be anything but disappointing in scope compared to the books.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:00:34 PM

Can't wait to have my avatar play the World of World of Warcraft mini-game in Lambda Mall!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 07:34:36 PM

They should have just based the game off of the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG.

I'd love to play a cyberpunk type mmo, but that article doesn't make it even sound interesting.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 07:40:16 PM

I thought that book was unreadable and I have read all of Tad Williams' other stuff.

Yes.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 08:02:57 PM

Odd.  I really like his Otherland books

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:40:08 PM

Yes. Otherland is my favorite all-time sci-fi/fantasy book series. Better than LotR, WoT, C.S. Lewis, Dune, etc.…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 09:19:50 AM

They should have just based the game off of the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG.

I'd love to play a cyberpunk type mmo, but that article doesn't make it even sound interesting.

Amen. Shadowrun would be fun too, but a pure cyberpunk game would be the nuts.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 10:01:55 AM

Yes. Otherland is my favorite all-time sci-fi/fantasy book series. Better than LotR, WoT, C.S. Lewis, Dune, etc.…

Well I wouldn't go that far.  As far as Sci-Fi goes, Snow Crash is my personal favorite.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 10:44:24 AM

Game elements sound familiar, cause alarm.

1) "Character birth" recalls Dawn.
2) Towelhead screenshot looks like Tazoon from Horizons.
3) "Adapted from a book" has odor of Ragnar Tornquist and Peter S. Beagle.
4) Freeform avatar customization is unlikely due to Erect Penis Factor and Infringement Lawsuit Factor.
5) Land of the Lost... Sleestak?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 01:25:24 PM

A Diamond Age MMO would be more interesting to me.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 02:50:09 PM

I don't know about all of the Diamond Age, but turning the Young Lady's Illustrated Primer into a virtual world would be interesting.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 12:03:27 PM

This has apparently progressed enough that another story was posted on the web about the game, complete with some what confusing video. Not having read the book, I can't comment on what if any kind of gameplay is being displayed here.

EDIT: Also a website, and the game will be F2P.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:34:22 PM

This has apparently progressed enough that another story was posted on the web about the game, complete with some what confusing video. Not having read the book, I can't comment on what if any kind of gameplay is being displayed here.

EDIT: Also a website, and the game will be F2P.

Still skeptical, considering I've never heard of this game developer/publisher, and also the sheer scale of implementing and incorporating multiple virtual worlds (and the system of "jacking" in/out), let alone creating worlds.

Video was indeed confusing, other than showcase concept art, though a few of the Otherland worlds were represented, and got a glimpse of the fat/skinny twins (that pursue Paul Jonas throughout the series saga). If you not planning to read the series, you can attain a synopsis (and spoilage) from the Wikipedia entry.

Not holding my breath for this.

But I'd relish just one of the VR realms, the Iliad world, coming online…

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 12:38:30 PM

Due to be released this year, so what you see is probably close to release.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 01:51:54 PM

Once upon a time, there was a version of schild that enjoyed the idea that indie teams (and by Indie, I mean people we've never heard of, certainly not BIG Publisher) were making MMOGs. That the investors who funded them were truly good people who wanted to create a better gaming world for us. Or something.

That schild was wrong. Indie MMOG devs are bad, will mostly bite off more than they can chew, and their investors are plum stupid. They are the Looney Tunes cast of the gaming industry and they need to fucking stop. People need to stop making MMOGs and Idea #4,837,918 in an online/social gaming variant. They need to go back to making fucking games. Maybe multiplayer, maybe not, whatever sort of game the design fits into. If you're designing an MMOG/Online/Social, just stop. You're going to fail. Unless you're the anomaly, but much like being that ugly dude that got Christina Hendricks - you're not the anomaly, he was. So, stop.

Otherland falls under the second paragraph here, not the first one.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 03:44:36 PM

Warners, Lin off to 'Otherland''

Warner Bros. is heading to "Otherland," acquiring feature rights to Tad Williams' sci-fi book series and setting it up with Dan Lin to produce.

Studio has tapped John Scott III to script the film, based on the four books published by DAW-Penguin USA between 1996 and 2001 as "City of Golden Shadow," "River of Blue Fire," "Mountain of Black Glass" and "Sea of Silver Light."

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 08:48:42 AM

Nothing good can come of any of this.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 02:30:12 PM

Join the Otherland Alpha!

Otherland fans... your time has come! We are now recruiting players to become a part of the Otherland Alpha Team. As an alpha tester, you will be asked to focus-test specific game elements, document your user experience and fill out in-depth surveys each week. Alpha testing is hard work, but if you think you have what it takes, fill out the application below and e-mail it to otherland@gamigo.de with the subject “ALPHA-RECRUIT-EN: <Real Name>”. Slots are limited and not everyone will be selected. Good luck!

Please Note:
All applicants MUST be 18 years of age or older. Proof of identity (passport / driver's license) is required. The signing of a strict Non-Disclosure Agreement is required, which states in legal language that the sharing of any information from the Alpha Test is punishable by law. Only those who accept these requirements will be considered.

DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION

It's 2012 and I have to download a PDF file, fill out, and attach to an email?  WTF?

And that link did not work for me -- it did nothing at first, then on subsequent clicks, bounced me into Google Docs PDF that just displayed a bunch of Javascript and HTML comments.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 04:17:40 PM

I don't know what's wrong with your system but I clicked on that link and got a mediafire download link for a doc file that was easily editable in notepad for pasting into an email. Sounds like you've screwed up your browser's file associations.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:58:05 PM

Even that is pretty  swamp poop. Web forms, how do they work?!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52:02 PM

I don't know what's wrong with your system but I clicked on that link and got a mediafire download link for a doc file that was easily editable in notepad for pasting into an email. Sounds like you've screwed up your browser's file associations.

No. Worked in Safari. The culprit is Chrome that auto-launches Google Docs Reader.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:02 AM

Even that is pretty  swamp poop. Web forms, how do they work?!

Yeah, that. If you can't even figure out how to do a beta app with a web-based form, you will likely fail at account creation/management.

Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 01:38:59 PM

If you are going to adapt Tad Williams, oh why couldn't it have been the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.

Osten Ard was a pretty well-detailed world. And playing RvR with Sithi/Qanuc/Hernystiri vs. Norns/Thrithings vs. Rimmersmen/Nabbani/Wrannamen could have some great lore and motivations.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 11:55:21 AM

Arise!

So, apparently this was still being worked on quietly somewhere, as I received an email today announcing it was going in to open beta.  Should be interesting to see how badly they managed to mangle things.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 04:24:59 PM

Wow, 8 years later, and still in development.

The reviews on Steam are not kind.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 05:02:54 PM

I don't know. Either this game will be in development for 10+ years or they simply won't have anything that comes near the worlds those books draw for their readers.
It seems the answer was "both."

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 07:00:59 PM

Once upon a time, there was a version of schild that enjoyed the idea that indie teams (and by Indie, I mean people we've never heard of, certainly not BIG Publisher) were making MMOGs. That the investors who funded them were truly good people who wanted to create a better gaming world for us. Or something.

That schild was wrong. Indie MMOG devs are bad, will mostly bite off more than they can chew, and their investors are plum stupid. They are the Looney Tunes cast of the gaming industry and they need to fucking stop. People need to stop making MMOGs and Idea #4,837,918 in an online/social gaming variant. They need to go back to making fucking games. Maybe multiplayer, maybe not, whatever sort of game the design fits into. If you're designing an MMOG/Online/Social, just stop. You're going to fail. Unless you're the anomaly, but much like being that ugly dude that got Christina Hendricks - you're not the anomaly, he was. So, stop.

Otherland falls under the second paragraph here, not the first one.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Otherland MMO  
Jump to: