Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:41:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Beta Client vs. Release (use them DVDs) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beta Client vs. Release (use them DVDs)  (Read 7551 times)
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

on: September 30, 2008, 05:28:37 PM

not sure if this has been mentioned here yet.

If you are still using the beta client to play release, like i was up until yesterday, and are having issues (CTDs etc.) do yourself a favor.

Uninstall the beta client and use the DVDs that came with yer box.

Someone mentioned this to me in vent saying it did wonders for him,  I did the same and it has significantly improved things.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:09:21 PM

Hm, what if you bought the D2D version?
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:28:24 PM

Hm, what if you bought the D2D version?

Re-download. They changed the D2D build between the 15th and the 19th. I re-installed fresh (10GB Dload) and did find that the D2D release build solved some of my issues. Tweaking video settings (8800GT) solved most of the rest.

EDIT: Clarification. I didn't pre-order and then on the 15th I thought I would, so I ordered from D2D and got a pre-order key. The download then was the Fileplanet one - essentially the beta. About a week ago I went back and downloaded the file they had, not from Fileplanet, and it has helped somewhat.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:31:09 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:38 PM

Tweaking video settings (8800GT) solved most of the rest.

Anything to share from that?

I'm re-downloading right now.  I was retarded and bought from the EAstore.  Forgot at the time of purchase that I could have gone with D2D.  Ohhhhh, I see.

-Rasix
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:50:39 PM

I reinstalled today and could tell the difference as soon as I logged in.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 09:05:20 PM

I downloaded on D2D like two or three days ago... so I guess I'm covered. But I gotta say... I'm not impressed with their client. Very chuggy, random weird loading issues, not a lot of video options to tweak. Seems very unfinished. I hope they polish it a lot more. I won't last past the free trial very long if it persists.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:11:32 PM

The first 30 days isn't a free trial, as such I have no clue what you're talking about.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:46:38 PM

Tweaking video settings (8800GT) solved most of the rest.

Anything to share from that?

I'm re-downloading right now.  I was retarded and bought from the EAstore.  Forgot at the time of purchase that I could have gone with D2D.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeah for me it was a few things. My gaming PC also acts as an HTPC so this:

If any of you guys are rocking multiple monitors, be sure that in the nvidia control panel, under 3d settings / manage 3d settings / global settings that you set "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" to "single display performance mode".

This is not the default setting. This might be changed if you have a new fancy monitor (maybe even that first gen 8800 GTX) that does some video output so it 'detects' a multiple monitor, even if you don't have more than one hooked up.

Made a huge difference as I was running a 56" TV as well as my 21" gaming monitor. Also, update to 178.13 and then set all settings to LOW. Then go back and turn up the things you want. After all that and dancing with my cousin the game runs pretty good.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 11:28:50 PM

The first 30 days isn't a free trial, as such I have no clue what you're talking about.

err, yeah. first 30 days. that's what I meant.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:45:52 AM

I've been hearing about this but I've also seen people say it doesn't do anything. I have my disks but never bothered to install them. So...why would this help? Is there a ton of crap in the beta build that would be choking the client? The only issue I really have to be honest is the memory leak that builds over time.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 06:59:45 AM

They may not have repacked everything (remember the beta patch that was pretty much just removing old shit and recompressing the archives? took the client from some 15 gigs to 8?)

That said, I'm running the beta client still, and it's fine except in altdorf, where OH DEAR GOD LAG I LAGGED I WAS AUTORUNNING AND I LAGGED I JUST CLIPPED THROUGH A WALL I'M FALLING OH DEAR GOD I DIED AND HAVE TO DO THIS OVER AGAIN FUCK IT I'M HEARTHING TO SIGMAR'S HAMMER
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 08:49:56 AM

The client automatically compresses files and removes outdated stuff so I don't see how this would help.  I'm going to go with coincidence for people reporting improvements.  Having said that if you're really having a lot of issues it certainly doesn't hurt to try this.

most often known as Drevik
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 08:51:55 AM

I deleted my beta client, defragged my HD, and reloaded the DVD's.  I'm interested in seeing if this helps... if it does, it's probably because of the defrag.

I'm getting serious slowdowns in pvp (on "best framerate" settings) and almost always crash the first time I log onto the game. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 09:08:35 AM

a reinstall of anything usually is good to "Refresh" it all.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 11:07:33 AM

My beta client works just dandy.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:42:34 AM

My client was an abomination patched up from Beta 2.0 - I figured I'd reinstall it.

I finished patching, but I haven't logged in yet. I'll know soon enough after I get home.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 11:46:15 AM

I got a performance boost on the beta client simply by deleting the cache folder and letting it recreate a new one.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 01:26:21 PM

I got a performance boost on the beta client simply by deleting the cache folder and letting it recreate a new one.

That's what I did and I noticed a slight increase in performance.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 06:13:45 AM

I've been hearing about this but I've also seen people say it doesn't do anything.
Internet myths without any factual proof.

There may be something related to clearing the cache, or having the drive heavily fragmented for installing the game through the torrent (that if set incorrectly would fragment everything around).

The rest is a myth, unless proven. For me it didn't make a slight difference.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 06:26:36 AM

I'm still playing with the beta client and I do ok except for some performance issues in Tor Anroc.

I did go into my Nvidia settings and make the tweaks mentioned here and put in the latest drivers. I have an 8800 GT, which is still a good card IMHO.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 06:29:22 AM

I did go into my Nvidia settings and make the tweaks mentioned here and put in the latest drivers. I have an 8800 GT, which is still a good card IMHO.

Tweaks?  Please to explain.  Have a link to some good video card optimization suggestions?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 07:10:02 AM

Did that last night, good stuff.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Beta Client vs. Release (use them DVDs)  
Jump to: