Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:55:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Keep sieges 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keep sieges  (Read 3300 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: September 27, 2008, 07:21:04 AM

I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that you've basically got to have a really, really big group to carry off a siege. I was in about a 15-man warband of fairly good players that was a little light on the healing and we experimented a lot with getting at the keep lord. It really turned out to be impossible because there was almost no way to control the 4 champion mobs and the keep lord for long enough. You'd basically have to have 5 tanks each with their own healer, and maybe a second healer on the tank holding the hero mob. We tried getting out on the balcony and forming two tank walls with all the squishies in between, but the mobs kept coming through the walls (this happens a lot elsewhere in the game). The rest of the process of taking a keep isn't too tough though I get really, really sick of the level 20 mobs that rubberband all over the place. Basically Mythic seems to have decided to prevent smallish groups from using standard pull and focus-fire tactics from methodically working their way through a keep.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 09:50:34 AM

I could swear we took a T2 with about that many players. In any case, I think anything that prevents single groups bumping off keeps like dominos is a good thing. There was way too much of that in DAOC.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:13:38 AM

I haven't seen T4 yet so I don't know what to expect, but I was very surprised in the transition in time spent taking keeps from T2 to T3.  T3 has an extra door to break down, so it's that much longer the owning faction has to respond. 

As we found out last night, if they get 4-5 defending a keep, it's nigh impossible to take without a zerg.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 12:25:14 PM

I was impressed with how well the defenses of the t2 keep I defended worked, from the doors to the guards to collision detection on the stairs. It should be that way, that's sort of the point of a keep. It always felt in DAOC like they were minor speed bumps. We'll see though, we're all undergeared and low realm rank. (Or whatever it is here.)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 03:23:53 PM

I just call it realm rank. I even call it realm points. Fuck renown!

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 03:26:48 PM

It'll be doable by less and less as people learn the In's and Out's of keep assault. When DaoC first started, keep attacks were grand events. Not so much these days.

The real question is speed. Numbers aren't as important as ensuring a keep take, takes a decent amount of time. You can't have keep fights if the defenders don't have a prayer of actually reaching the keep and organizing a defense.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 11:06:04 AM

Speed is the key, I agree. If the defenders get even a small team in there, you're really in trouble. All they need to do is distract you, or focus fire on healers or the MT and the keep lord will eat you for lunch.

On the whole, I think it's working out pretty well that keeps are highly defensible. About the only thing that is really cheesing me off is:

1) The keep lord and champions can walk straight through walls onto the balcony. Very annoying.
2) Turrets will shoot at enemy players through walls. VERY VERY annoying.
3) Pets will chase you through walls. ALSO VERY VERY annoying.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Keep sieges  
Jump to: