Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:07:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Statesman comments on balance and update 3 priorities 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Statesman comments on balance and update 3 priorities  (Read 2199 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: November 09, 2004, 03:38:38 PM

1. DA, Ice Armor, Stone Armor - the f/x are going throug a redo and the powers will be made stackable. I'll tell you when as soon as the schedule is solid.

2. The changes to Fear are being worked on now.

3. Tankers have top priority post Update 3 to get their increased mob control abilities. I'd love to tie this to some twinks to Controllers - so that both have a good role in mob management - but I can't make any promises about that in particular.

4. Many upper level villain groups will have the # of minions w/ a stun power decreased dramatically. More specifically: Carnival of Shadows, Malta. Sappers will one to a spawn, rather than a current maximum of two.

5. The massive AOE Alpha Strikes will be addressed shortly after Tankers get their due.

6. I do know that Unyielding Stance and its immobility is an issue. I'm going to be thinking about that a lot in the coming week.

Here's an Update on other things....

1. We're not changing anything imminently on Electricity Blast. But we know that many Blasters find that it's sub par.

2. After analysis, Scrappers CAN NOT reach the same levels of resistance as a Tank. Regeneration, though, is a small concern.

3. +1 level mobs are now appearing in the numbers that we had wanted in missions.

If you've got anything else you want an update on, feel free to post and I'll TRY to answer questions. Please don't ask things about future features...I'll be happy to communicate the status of the "big" questions that appear to come up over and over again.

Expansion 3 has two Epic Archetypes AND many, many Epic Power Pools.

I'll say just two things.

Peacebringers.

Warshades.

LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!  

Both Archetypes are considered types of Kheldians. So hitting level 50 opens BOTH.

Both Archetypes have brand NEW power sets.

In fact, there's 16 Primary Powers and 16 Secondary Powers.

Yep. Not 9. 16.

And there's Shapeshifting. Of a sort....

No new level [cap] in the immediate future (i.e. the next couple updates).

Also,

Earth controllers 'animate poo' pets to get the ability to benefit from group fly (like other pets)

PvP arena for hero vs hero not likely in patch 3, but probable before CoV.

Out of combat skill system not coming in patch 3, definitely coming before CoV.

Supergroup alliances and alliance chat on its way in update 3.

Update 3 to include rework of some existing zones.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 04:57:38 PM

There's more goodness at Warcry.

Quote from: Statesman
Once you’ve gotten a single character up to level 50, you can make as many of these Epic Archetypes as you want – on any server. The Epic Archetypes introduced come in two varieties: the Peacebringers and the Warshades. Both are different factions of an alien race whose existence has just become public knowledge. They possess mixtures of powers that are otherwise impossible in the City of Heroes. But Peacebringers and Warshades desperately need energy to power themselves. As a result, their power level is directly linked to the number of teammates they have.
The play experience will grow along with the mythology of the game. The new Epic Archetype in Update 3, for instance, is intricately intertwined with the history of the City of Heroes universe. This is something I really want to delve into over the coming year. We have a 560 page story bible for the game; it’s now time for us to allow the players to begin exploring this vast background.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 07:47:54 PM

I hope those "tweaks to Controllers" include upping their damage a bit.  

Right now I've just two choices: Take the Scrapper if I want to solo, take the Controller if I want more satisfying gameplay that is crippled to join a group due to abysmally low damage output.

So far the Scrapper's outleveled the Controller by 5 levels.

Maybe I should have been an Illusion Controller instead of a Mind Control one.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 01:21:27 AM

More Statesman quotes....

1. We're going to be re-evaluating ALL the armor sets - not just changing their art. So EVERY issue involved with Ice, Dark, Stone, etc. is going to be looked at.

2. Fear changes are across the board. Any power with fear will change from "foe running away" to "foe cowering and not moving."

3. Mission Slider - Update 3.

4. Yes, I'm still worried about Super Reflexes being a tad gimped. We're watching it.

5. Yes, we'll do trenchcoats - not in Update 3, but soon after.

6. We're done with Blizzard - for the moment.

7. We are not looking at Flight or Energy Blast.

8. I do want to tweak Shadow Shard and Rikti Crash Site so that they're more user friendly - and worthwhile. I can't give a time table yet, but I want to squeeze in a couple of changes as soon as possible.

9. We will have a system to do missed lower level content - eventually.

10. The DVD special edition xtras will be available to current players - we haven't yet decided on how we're going to get it to them.

11. We aren't planning on adding more Pet Controls anytime soon, but they are definitely needed as we expand pets (remember what I said about adding a 10th power to every set....)

12. I'll note that people want the Friends list expanded.

13. I'll also note the auto decline for team invites.

14. Same with a better UI for buying several Enhancements.

15. Weather effects aren't scheduled any time soon.

16. Adding Tanker damage has become a little problematic. It makes the almost too powerful...but it's an ongoing issue internally. We are definitely adding more aggro control to the Tanker.

17. Mind Control - outside of Fear - there are not any more changes planned in the immediate future.

Bases are in City of Villains.

The ONLY thing about Regeneration is that internal playtesting has shown that it MIGHT be a little too good. But that's an impression - there will be nothing immediate changed and there might be nothing at all. It's just on my list of things to look at, that's all.

Supergroups will not get larger...

We will have some stuff for high level groups...not Hamidon class (not even close) but tough. That's a planned tweak for Rikti Crash Site and Shadow Shard.

We're working (or more precisely our wunder-programmer Martin) on a change to melee combat that will enable you to hit runners. No more angling just in front of the fleeing foe - yep - you can punch him from behind!

We hope to get this into Update 3, but it needs testing. But I thought you'd like to know.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 03:50:18 AM

16. Adding Tanker damage has become a little problematic. It makes the almost too powerful...but it's an ongoing issue internally. We are definitely adding more aggro control to the Tanker.

That is a good and bad idea.  I hate that I can hold argo by yelling at the mobs (I rember a quote, how many times did you read in a comic about Tom the Tanker yellin' "Yo Mamma" and wavin his fists to keep the villians occupied while Barbie Blaster blew 'em up?) and not because I am a force to be recogned with.  How to fix it?  I personally would have had a bit more damage and more knockup, knockdown, knockback, stun, and disorient added to our blows.  I know most people hate those (well except the knockup and down), but they seem more comic book in nature (we can't have them doing as much damage as a scrapper, but it should be close).  That and maybe a status effect resistance, where it takes 3 casts of a stun to stun you, scrappers could have it so it takes 2 stuns to stun them...kinda like the bosses and some lts have now.

We're working (or more precisely our wunder-programmer Martin) on a change to melee combat that will enable you to hit runners. No more angling just in front of the fleeing foe - yep - you can punch him from behind!

We hope to get this into Update 3, but it needs testing. But I thought you'd like to know.

Very nice!  I hate that I have to really aim my attacks, by running in front, hit follow, then smacking 'em.  But the really nice thing to do would be get everyone and early short range attack (like spines and claws have).  Just a decent 40m attack (Impale from the spines line is the best example) that you get before level 10 and helps you deal with all the pain in the butt runners that run.  After playing numerous tanks and scrappers without a ranged attack, it is like a breath of fresh air to not have to chase runners around when I play my spine scrapper or blaster/controller/defender.

1. We're going to be re-evaluating ALL the armor sets - not just changing their art. So EVERY issue involved with Ice, Dark, Stone, etc. is going to be looked at.

Whoohoo! I have rerolled my stone tanker too many times trying to get it so I didn't have a pool power I couldn't use with my primary powers.  That and I was a little vain, after seeing my neat looking character that I put so much time in his outfit turn into a walking turd...well...reroll time.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 08:32:25 AM

Go Cryptic!  Back to kicking Freak butt; lvl 29 will be mine today. :)

Wonder how that "energy tied to number of teamates" will pan out.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
rscott
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 09:19:32 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich
I hope those "tweaks to Controllers" include upping their damage a bit.  

Right now I've just two choices: Take the Scrapper if I want to solo, take the Controller if I want more satisfying gameplay that is crippled to join a group due to abysmally low damage output.

Heh.  I'm a mind controller too.  It fit my character.  But it isn't as great for soloing as my scrappers are.  

If I was to pick the biggest design mistake for coh, it would be choosing one AT to be good at soloing and the rest not so great.

On the plus side, i hope they have real cool origin related missions, unfortunatly magic won't be going in until later.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Statesman comments on balance and update 3 priorities  
Jump to: