Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:13:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Fantasy Hockey '08-'09 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Hockey '08-'09  (Read 97005 times)
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: March 03, 2009, 05:12:20 PM

Actually, he waved goodbye to the Penguins bench last game they played after celebrating a goal.

Guy is a showboater, plain and simple.

But he can do no wrong at the moment, so whatever.

He's also have the Hart handed to him this year, despite being on a VERY good team and getting owned by Malkin in points.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #281 on: March 03, 2009, 08:13:55 PM

Well that's over the line then, and probably deserves a 2 minute minor for misconduct or something.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: March 03, 2009, 09:06:49 PM

As much as I love watching the kid, I'd also like to see someone maul him, at least once.

Someone just needs to line him up and deliver a crushing blow. Again. And again.

But he's a monster, and not many are gifted enough to (a) be able to skate with him and (b) have enough physical prowess to connect a check once they do get him in their crosshairs…

I know when I played I relished going after hotdogs, and didn't have to embark upon a special mission (and which I always instructed my guys as captain to never retaliate but wait for the spots which would come), just there'd be opportunity where he's fumbling with the puck in the corner, or striding across neutral zone with head peering in exact opposite direction. Boom.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: March 04, 2009, 05:54:18 AM

His act wears very thin when he's pumping his fist and flailing his arms on a 5-0 goal.

Oh yeah...Happy 2nd Christmas everyone!  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:05:49 AM by Special J »
Strazos

Reply #284 on: March 04, 2009, 03:35:46 PM

Ugh, Flyers trade Upshall away in a purely cap-motivated move.

I don't like it, but at least I can understand it, as the Flyers were practically on top of the cap number. The move gives them perhaps JUST enough room to call up a minor leaguer if someone goes out with someone minor enough to keep them off IR.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: March 05, 2009, 05:27:50 AM

Jokinen!

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: March 05, 2009, 07:22:06 AM

I got a dented goaltender!  awesome, for real

Actually I'm happy with it.  Pascale Leclaire is probably the best goalie available between now and October.
WayAbvPar

Reply #287 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:23 AM

Jokinen!

Yeah, not so excited about that. Although the division race was decided when the Canucks forgot how to play hockey during the entire month of January.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: March 05, 2009, 09:59:18 AM

Jokinen!

Maybe a change of scenery will reignite his scoring prowess but he was a dud in Phoenix.

They still strengthened themselves, IMO, with getting Leopold back, who I've always liked and addressed a hole in their blueliner composition, from the games I've watched the Flames…

Good move by Bruins to pick up Recchi, Pens should have nabbed him…

Speaking of Pens, don't get why they went after Guerin — is he an upgrade from Satan who they waived? It would have been a great deal in 1999… …their other move, picking up Craig Adams off waivers, /yawn…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: March 05, 2009, 10:37:53 AM

Because it cost them a conditional draft pick.

I'm going to guess Gaborik and Boumeester didn't move because their GMs were asking for the stars and the moon. Which is ridiculous because neither one of them is resigning.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
WayAbvPar

Reply #290 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:41 AM

Rumor was that they were asking for Raymond, Bieksa and a first for Boumeester. No chance I make that deal if I am Gillis unless I get Boumeester to agree to an extension before the trade is finalized, and maybe not even then. First rounders are precious, and the old Canuck GMs pissed them away like a sailor on shore leave. 

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: March 05, 2009, 11:50:53 AM

Florida couldn't move Bouwmeester. They're trying to make the playoffs.  Unless a deal actually improves those chances they have to stick with him.  Unless they'd like their building to be even emptier from bailing while sitting in 6th.  They may as well pack it in if they sent him off for a couple prospects.

Gaborik has played six games all year and the Wild need goals so it was combination of them them needing his offense and I'm betting crappy offers.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: March 05, 2009, 12:03:34 PM

Top 10 first rounders are precious.

Go take a look at the rate of picks 20-30 turning into NHL players. It's pretty awful.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: March 05, 2009, 12:06:54 PM

Florida couldn't move Bouwmeester. They're trying to make the playoffs.  Unless a deal actually improves those chances they have to stick with him.  Unless they'd like their building to be even emptier from bailing while sitting in 6th.  They may as well pack it in if they sent him off for a couple prospects.

Gaborik has played six games all year and the Wild need goals so it was combination of them them needing his offense and I'm betting crappy offers.

Do you think a short playoff run is going to be the cure to the attendance woes in Florida?

But yes, the offers for Gaborik were very likely quite lame.

But you take the best one.

It's known very well that Gaborik ain't resigning.

He was also quoted recently as saying he hasn't watched a single Wild game since being injured.

Guess how much he cares, and guess how much use he'll be IF he comes back. If because, well, frankly - he doesn't give a shit about coming back. Expect a late return, if he returns at all.

I'm willing to bet someone offered at LEAST a second round pick. At LEAST. Hell, I'd be surprised if someone didn't offer a first.

YOU TAKE THAT SHIT.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: March 05, 2009, 12:19:17 PM

No it won't cure anything. Trade him for a sack of magic beans though and you'll be an also-ran forever.  You have a responsibility to the people that actually do pay. 

If you take that mentality then they should just take the bottom 20 teams' UFAs and let the top 10 draft them, with the order set by who puts up the most picks.  Edmonton, Columbus, Dallas, NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Carolina, Montreal were all buyers.  They're can't all go deep so why didn't they throw up all their UFAs?  They're all in the same position or worse.

A first rounder for Gaborik and you don't even know if he can skate?  Wild should have traded him right when he turned down $80 miliion bucks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:24:17 PM by Special J »
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: March 05, 2009, 12:24:07 PM

No, they're in different positions. They're in markets that give a fuck.

Until Florida relocates, short playoff runs at the expense of crippling your immediate future isn't going to help.

So next season they have the same team minus their best defenseman - and they got nothing for him.

Boumeester was THE premier player on the market yesterday. They could have gotten multiple picks, a prospect, and a roster player. Instead they get jack shit, and they miss the playoffs next year because they're barely going to make them (if they do) this year.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: March 05, 2009, 12:32:27 PM

They've been in that cycle of mediocrity for years.  It's just a continuation. 

It's a shit market, I agree, but if you're going to stay there you have to make a go of it some time.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: March 05, 2009, 01:06:40 PM

The bottom line is that you have to move.

At some point you have to make a go of it, fucking up seasons to come. Or you can trade your UFAs and keep rolling for the future, hoping for a team that can actually be consistently good.

Either way, nobody in Florida gives a fuck.

Since you HAVE to move, it's better to build a good team up. Nobody in Hamilton gives a fuck about Florida having five games in the playoffs this year, and neither does anyone in Florida.

This is an entirely different situation if we're talking about New York or Chicago or Philadelphia or whatever. At that point, we can consider holding onto Boumeester for a playoff run - which is essentially renting your own player. But not in Florida.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #298 on: March 05, 2009, 02:39:12 PM

Yes, please, go ahead and trade the Wild something for Gaborik. He was my favorite player, now I can't wait for him to get out of Minnesota. Motherfucker has a glass vagina. He's got fantastic talent and a body that will not last through an NHL season. I am so glad Minnesota failed to extend his contract, and right now, I'd take a 3rd liner or a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick just to get him off the Wild's books. He can go sit on IR on some other fucking team.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: March 05, 2009, 03:43:11 PM

People can speculate whether or not he'll play full seasons and be great now that he's had his surgery, etc. I can tell you he won't.

Which is too bad. He's got incredible talent and speed.

He's just doesn't give a fuck.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #300 on: March 05, 2009, 04:03:18 PM

Daigle Redux?

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: March 05, 2009, 04:08:11 PM

Oh no, not at all. I honestly think he'll go somewhere and be a GOOD player. Not great, but good.

But he'll continue to tweak his vagina and be out two months, etc.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: March 05, 2009, 05:41:10 PM

Wow.

Ironically, I'm watching the Panthers play the Penguins at the moment. It would seem that at least the lower bowl is mostly filled up because the Penguins are in town.

But the announcers. Wow.

I've honestly never seen some shit like this. Crosby has the puck alone infront of the net. Campbell comes in, slashes his stick with a vicious two handed overhand chop, the stick lays in two pieces and the refs call a slashing penalty.

The Panthers announces:

"WHAT? How is that even a penalty! That's not a slash! These refs are awful."

Replay rolls.

"SO WHAT. So the stick broke. That's not a penalty. These refs are awful. Why, I've seen a stick break just from taking a shot!"

Yeah, dickhead. That wouldn't be a penalty. Sort of a different situation.

Fast forward. Letang picks up the puck in the defensive zone. Weiss comes charging in from the blueline and labels him as hard as he can directly from behind.

"WHAT? How is that a penalty??! That's about the LIGHTEST check I've ever seen! He hardly touched him! Are you not allowed to hit in the NHL??? HE HAD THE PUCK!!!"

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: March 05, 2009, 07:46:21 PM

Wow.

Ironically, I'm watching the Panthers play the Penguins at the moment. It would seem that at least the lower bowl is mostly filled up because the Penguins are in town.

But the announcers. Wow.

I've honestly never seen some shit like this. Crosby has the puck alone infront of the net. Campbell comes in, slashes his stick with a vicious two handed overhand chop, the stick lays in two pieces and the refs call a slashing penalty.

The Panthers announces:

"WHAT? How is that even a penalty! That's not a slash! These refs are awful."

Replay rolls.

"SO WHAT. So the stick broke. That's not a penalty. These refs are awful. Why, I've seen a stick break just from taking a shot!"

Yeah, dickhead. That wouldn't be a penalty. Sort of a different situation.

Fast forward. Letang picks up the puck in the defensive zone. Weiss comes charging in from the blueline and labels him as hard as he can directly from behind.

"WHAT? How is that a penalty??! That's about the LIGHTEST check I've ever seen! He hardly touched him! Are you not allowed to hit in the NHL??? HE HAD THE PUCK!!!"

Funny,  I watched the game listening to Pens announcer team. And Steiggerwald (play-by-play) guy is starting to grate on me… …I wish Mike Lange was calling the game (think he still does the radio broadcast), and Steiggerwald wasn't bad as color commentary, but that spot now is the obligatory ex-player. And Bob Errey isn't bad at it.

Yeah, noted lots of Penguins fans there, it seemed to be more black and gold than Panther red… …I remember from my stint in Miami (I worked a contract at University of Miami) being told how most Miami folks shunned the Panthers after they headed north to Sunrise (honestly, didn't know they got much support when they played in Miami Arena)…

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:53 PM

Dude, everyone in Pittsburgh hates Steigerwald.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #305 on: March 06, 2009, 06:41:22 PM

While I totally understand you and would agree, I think the stick penalties are a bit excessive at times. I really think you should be able to attack the stick without penalties. A bit of stick-on-stick slashes should be fine, as should holding the stick away from the ice/puck with your own stick, but that's apparently hooking now.

Fear the Backstab!
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: March 06, 2009, 07:53:30 PM

While I totally understand you and would agree, I think the stick penalties are a bit excessive at times. I really think you should be able to attack the stick without penalties. A bit of stick-on-stick slashes should be fine, as should holding the stick away from the ice/puck with your own stick, but that's apparently hooking now.

Yeah, officials have been a bit overzealous in those calls this season. But indiscriminate, wild swipes at the stick should be whistled, still. And it's in the rules now.

Strazos

Reply #307 on: March 06, 2009, 11:45:52 PM

Yeah, that kind of stuff breaks a guys wrist. But the kind where you basically just put your stick down, with force, on another guy's stick so he can't move it much unless he overpowers you or moves? And the stick happens to break when you come down on it from waist height? That's not a penalty, or shouldn't be.

Fear the Backstab!
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: March 07, 2009, 12:07:58 AM

Composite sticks present a problem.  If they get weakened enough then anything will shatter them.  It's not even that unusual to seen one disintegrate just from making a pass.  So now the refs are left with a judgement call: did it get chopped in two or did it fall apart from a regular stick on stick play.
Strazos

Reply #309 on: March 07, 2009, 06:17:57 AM

What sucks is that they call it pretty much every time; can you remember the last time a guy slapped another player's stick, the stick broke, and a penalty was NOT called?

I wouldn't be surprised if when a team desperately needs a PP, a guy will switch to a stick that's ready to break.

Fear the Backstab!
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: March 07, 2009, 06:00:50 PM

As much as I love watching the kid, I'd also like to see someone maul him, at least once.

Zdeno Chara.

Ding. Ding.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: March 07, 2009, 06:04:46 PM

Also, the dumbest penalty calls this year have been the phantom holds.  A guy touches another guy at any time with both hands and its an instant penalty.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: March 07, 2009, 07:13:07 PM

The thing is that Ovechkin has shown he's prone to break down when you attack him physically (See World Juniors 2005).

Thing is that I don't think I've seen ANYONE seriously engage him physically. Malkin would try a bit when OV started to run him constantly, but Malkin isn't really a rough and tumble type of dude.

We'll see, depending on what team he draws in the playoffs. I'd like to see what the consequences for him in a WSH/BOS second or third round matchup were if Washington went up 5-0 or 6-0 in the first game and he started whooping it up and jumping around, etc.

But honestly, I think the fan backlash on any player that hurt him at this point would be so severe that people take it into consideration and wouldn't do anything too dirty to him. Although when Crosby was the popular one he was getting sticked and speared and crosschecked and slashed and punched in the mouth constantly, so who knows. One just wonders why Ovechkin doesn't seem to get much of that. Because I think it's been established that the antics aren't really appreciated when your team is up by five goals and he's jumping over the boards, etc. I'm honestly surprised nobody has run him or sticked him up nice.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:15:33 PM by Azaroth »

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #313 on: March 08, 2009, 04:30:20 AM

Didn't Richards push him around and make him sorta cry in World Juniors or something once?

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: March 09, 2009, 01:42:05 PM

The entirety of Team Canada basically ran him every time he touched the puck.

I don't think he came out for the second period.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Fantasy Hockey '08-'09  
Jump to: