Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: The Force Unleashed – Lucas Arts – PS3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Force Unleashed – Lucas Arts – PS3  (Read 38178 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 05:49:45 PM

Hm, the demo was pretty entertaining other than the stupid QTE at the AT-ST. I wasn't expecting it and spent a long time throwing barrels at the thing. I may have to consider getting this, it will give me something else to play when I'm on living room  kittenwatch duty.

This is definately a game that's very easy to pick up and put down if you need. I'm about 80% done and really enjoying it.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 02:51:16 PM

I ended up getting Lego Batman instead (I'm such a sucker for those games, recycled gameplay or no) but this is still on my list.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #37 on: September 28, 2008, 04:23:12 PM

So here I've been defending this game.. finished it once, thought I'd play around with some of the extras. So I look up the cheat codes and what do I discover? There are something like 30 different skins you can play the game with... on the PS2 and the wii. If you have the PS3 or 360, you get about four.

What the fuck is all that about?

Those skins are mostly because of the wiis duel mode. And since the development for both the PS2 and the wii version were farmed out to the same development house... well, you do the math.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #38 on: September 28, 2008, 05:31:29 PM

Wii multiplayer is fun, but completly unbalanced. All the characters have differing stats "Force" "saber" "speed" "power" etc.

My daugher plays Aayla Secura who has a maxed-out Force bar.  She lightnings the shit out of us and there's naught we can do.  Damn kids and their min/maxing lightning whoring.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 11:09:30 AM

force rush up in her face and sith strike the shit out of her.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 03:17:53 PM

I can't get that one to fire off.  That's like 2 sabers and a force push, right?   The Wii has a horribly cumbersome use of hand-waving to get shit done.  Feel like I'm going to throw out my damn elbow because I have to punch my fist so often and fast to get off Force pushs.  The "breakout"/AOE pushback move is even worse, since you have to hold 2 buttons and slam both hands down to trigger it.  I usually wind-up waving my saber ineptly and force pushing something random instead.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 07:05:42 AM

I'm replaying it now on the wii and the story is slightly different, (A couple of different locales and cutscenes) but the thrust of the story is the same, plus there's the added value of duel mode to keep the missus occupied sometimes too.

I'm also replaying through the 360/PS3 version again too, this time, fully powered up with all the gear, powers and know-how gained from playing through the first time. All the frustrating stuff in the boss fights is virtually non-existent now. It may get old fast, but we'll see how it goes.

I didn't think there was a game+ type thing? Or are you just level selecting within your beaten game?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #42 on: September 30, 2008, 08:55:30 PM

I'm replaying it now on the wii and the story is slightly different, (A couple of different locales and cutscenes) but the thrust of the story is the same, plus there's the added value of duel mode to keep the missus occupied sometimes too.

I'm also replaying through the 360/PS3 version again too, this time, fully powered up with all the gear, powers and know-how gained from playing through the first time. All the frustrating stuff in the boss fights is virtually non-existent now. It may get old fast, but we'll see how it goes.

I didn't think there was a game+ type thing? Or are you just level selecting within your beaten game?

If you choose "Continue Game", it starts you off with the Apprentice's first mission. Only you're fully kitted out.

As for the force rush, I think it's push forward twice on the control stick.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 02:45:03 PM

As for the force rush, I think it's push forward twice on the control stick.

I meant the Sith Strike.  S'ok because I learned the subtleties of the saber and now I pwn face. It really DOES matter if you shake it up/down or side-to-side. Nifty.  Heart

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 05:54:39 PM

Slash-Slash-Slash-LIGHTING SMASH was my favourite.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: October 06, 2008, 11:59:03 AM

I'm a big fan of dash, saber, lift, lightning, CANNONBALL.  Works on those damned flamethrower troopers.

I wish they had flamethrower troopers on Endor, RotJ would have been far more metal.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 06, 2008, 12:03:10 PM

I like Grip, Saber Throw (and impale), Electrocute, Toss and wait for saber to come back.  Just because it is awesome.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: October 06, 2008, 12:32:20 PM

I'm a huge Cannonball whore.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 02:37:38 AM

I should go max out saber throw, with just one point it seemed wholly ineffective compared to other one-point skills.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #49 on: October 07, 2008, 04:24:29 PM

Saber throw is highly useful for those pesky ledge-sitters.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #50 on: October 09, 2008, 09:27:24 AM

Saber throw is highly useful for those pesky ledge-sitters.

Ledge sitters get force gripped and thrown behind me.  Choked if they're the last man standing.

Force grip/ Push is far too effective on the masses of low-end troops, even those flame fuckers.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 01, 2009, 06:53:23 PM

The game controls like shit. I've never seen a more unresponsive action game. For all my force powers, the handling is very, very slow. Maybe I don't "get" the game, but when I click Guard while I'm getting up from being knocked down and do not guard when I stand up, having to physically take my finger off the button and reapply, giving my enemy enough time to kill me, that's a problem.

It's also impossible to accurately target your Grip powers in this game, especially in boss fights with multiple opponents.

I want to 1000 this game on Xbox360 so I don't have to fucking play it anymore. At least it restarts you at check points with full health, even in boss fights.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: April 01, 2009, 06:54:28 PM

The game controls like shit. I've never seen a more unresponsive action game. For all my force powers, the handling is very, very slow. Maybe I don't "get" the game, but when I click Guard while I'm getting up from being knocked down and do not guard when I stand up, having to physically take my finger off the button and reapply, giving my enemy enough time to kill me, that's a problem.

It's also impossible to accurately target your Grip powers in this game, especially in boss fights with multiple opponents.

I want to 1000 this game on Xbox360 so I don't have to fucking play it anymore. At least it restarts you at check points with full health, even in boss fights.

Man, it's so not fair to talk about controls in third person action games after playing Demon's Souls. And you know it.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 02, 2009, 04:01:40 AM

To be fair, I haven't played Demon's Souls and even I am aware that the controls in The Force Unleashed are crap.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #54 on: April 02, 2009, 08:13:44 AM

Force Unleashed was distinctively unpolished, but I don't seem to have the control issues beyond the usual half-assed third-person variety.  The biggest irritant for me was the shit framerate.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 05, 2009, 04:52:20 PM

There's a skill that increases the speed at which your force powers charge. At 3/3 points they're more or less instant. Your character is intentionally clunky at the start, but gets better as you progress.

I'm replaying this and enjoying it. It's not a perfect game, but it's fun in a mindless and not-too-difficult kind of way. Also when you max out most of your skills you become a more-or-less unstoppable avatar of doom, and slapping stormtroopers around ad-infinitium is cheap entertainment.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 02:57:03 AM

There's no way any of this can be canonical given the sheer power and variety of storm troopers. Anti-Force Shields? REALLY?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #57 on: April 10, 2009, 08:13:55 AM

With all the movies already made, George doesn't much care anymore, as long as nothing contradicts the fillms too badly..

Anyway, /nerd on anti-force troopers would have probably been technology developed for the period between Ep3 and 4 when Vader and the boys are hunting down all the Jedi, and therefore no longer needed by the time the OT rolls around /nerd off

Besides, George lost the plot and any care long ago for the finer details of his universe.

R4-P17 started off as a traditional R4 unit, complete with the characteristic conical head, when she was nearly destroyed in a trash compactor mishap on Gyndine. While inspecting the Jedi customizations of the Delta-7 designs, Anakin Skywalker happened upon the wrecked little droid and rebuilt it. The new R4-P17 sported an R2-series dome

In a making of Star Wars books I have, the pointless and convoluted story was explained (with people quoting Lucas) based around him naming the droid in one of his scripts, but not actually knowing that the R4 droids look different to R2s. After that, one of his underlings had to write up the silly background (sorry, extra depth) so it didn't contradict everything else.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 09:12:47 AM

But could it FLYYYY??!

Srsly, I could even deal with Jar-Jar, but the flying R2 is what pushed me over the edge. Also, plucky kid Annie, but hey.

God that trilogy sucked balls.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 11:44:53 AM

Wait, what? You can't handle "That robot had little rockets on it when it's intended duty involved manuvering on the outside of a spaceship, but did not have those rockets twenty years later when it was a diplomat's pet!" but can deal with god damned Jar-Jar?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 17, 2009, 01:06:49 PM

OK, finished the game.

Yeah. Light-side Jedi are pussies and stupid. "You'll be back to where you started!" "AND THE FUCKING EMPEROR WILL BE DEAD, BILLIONS OF LIVES WILL BE SAVED, AND WE CAN UNDO THE DAMAGE THESE SITH FUCKS HAVE DONE IN THE LAST 15 YEARS, KODA!" Jesus christ it's like they can't think for themselves and that the Force dictates all their actions instead of them. Jedi as puppets of a higher power. Might as well start calling it The Forcetm.

All this stuff being canon is shit shit shit-ity SHIT.  ACK!

Only cool thing about being a Jedi is the powers and the saber. ONLY THING.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:12:42 PM by Lorekeep »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 17, 2009, 01:29:57 PM

Only cool thing about being a Jedi is the powers and the saber. ONLY THING.

What and odd thing to say.  Even just having something like Mind Trick would be basically the most amazing thing ever.  Of course, the stuff I'd do with it would probably technically be of the dark side.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 17, 2009, 02:13:51 PM

I subscribe to the Jedi School of Katarn. Using Force Lightning as a Light Side Jedi ain't hurt nobody but the bad guys.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 02:55:42 PM

I found the text version of The Force Unleashed at the library and decided to read it. Awful stuff but finding out the origin of the Rebel logo was kinda cool.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 27, 2009, 05:36:48 PM

I finally 1000'd this game and can safely put it into the DO NOT FUCKING WANT TO SEE EVER AGAIN pile.

On a side note, once you avoid the ass-tastic parts of the system, the highest difficulty setting becomes nothing special. You'll still die frustrating deaths but at that point you're numb to the pain.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #65 on: May 10, 2009, 03:23:46 AM

I'm playing through this on medium at the moment, but I'm finding the most painful part of the game (besides the sub-par controls) are the occasional holocrons that require a jump-jump-dash, yet still seem out of range.

Specifically the one in the Sarlaac chamber, and the one where the catwalks radiate out, down the lift at the junk planet factory thing.

Mob

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #66 on: May 10, 2009, 11:27:18 PM

Figured it out. got to tack a force dash blast to the end of the leap and dash.  swamp poop

That Star Destroyer bit is  ACK!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 11:10:42 AM

It's all worth it to use a jawa as a grenade to kill other jawas.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #68 on: May 15, 2009, 10:57:18 PM

If you choose "Continue Game", it starts you off with the Apprentice's first mission. Only you're fully kitted out.

Any way to play through the other difficulty levels fully kitted up? Or do you have to start from scratch?

Seems the only way to get the achievements for the harder difficulty levels is to start them up and not change them during play, but hitting "continue" from my existing finished game just plays through again on that difficulty. And fuck levelling up from zip again, along with starting from 0 holocrons...

swamp poop

On a similar note, with the DLC (which I haven't purchased) you have o "start new game" to play the coruscant temple.. but "start new game" again means "start new jedi wth nothing"...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:25:54 PM by Azazel »

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 10, 2009, 06:09:13 PM

That Star Destroyer bit is  ACK!

Yes. This could be a good contender for one of the worst set pieces in any game ever.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: The Force Unleashed – Lucas Arts – PS3  
Jump to: