Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:05:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Champions has destroyed my limited rating 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions has destroyed my limited rating  (Read 6675 times)
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

on: November 07, 2004, 09:55:06 PM

... well not destroyed, but I went down almost 50 points in one day.  pain.

On Sunday, my release league that I lucked into a 5-0 finish ended, so I had 12 free packs (didn't feel like playing endless hours of tie breakers to get more).  And since I was recovering from being sick and not quite feeling human yet, I decided to spend the day getting my draft on.

I thought the drafts themselves went pretty damn well.  In each one of my four drafts, I managed to pull a dragon - TWICE in my main colors, and other other two times it was the easily splashable red or blue one.  Killer, yes?  3 of my 4 drafts decks were heavily black (generally agreed to be the best color in limited at the moment), had great creatures and removal.  The fourth deck was a blue-green house with 3 red burn spells splashed.  I had elder, I had reach, no worries though, right?  Right?

I somehow managed to lose EVERY SINGLE DRAFT in the first round.  twice to under-1700 scrubs (one sub-1600!), and twice to people at or above my rating.  I'd either have a fast deck that would stall and just draw land after land, or I'd have a slower deck and fail to draw any kind of early game at all.  Only once did I face a 'killer' deck- a U/B spirit based monstrosity that managed to beat me repeatedly down with Jade Idol, of all things.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is.  I guess I need to study the format more.  I'll just mention a few things I learned yesterday.

-the zubera draft deck WORKS.  devouring greed, the red +3/0 spirit sacrifice - arrgh it was brutal, a deck I otherwise thought was solid had no chance.
- green isn't as good as I thought it was.
- red can ONLY be splashed, never a base color
- white is good, really good, but apparently everyone is drafting white, so it sucks.  yes.  Samuri with tricks is good stuff.  
- black has very little late game plan, except for a few oni demons, which require living ogres to work well.  
-  hideous laughter is every bit as good as people say.
- blue is very playable, but takes planning as you HAVE to stick to a archetype plan (unlike green or black), such as blue spirit tricks.  U/B spirits is very nice.
- Last, and most important, there are several mid-to-late game 'I win' cards in the set, which I hate (flashbacks of OLS Insurrection).  I lost count of the time when I lost to a devouring greed when no other card would save the other person.  Dance in Shadows is similar.  if you're not black, there's really nothing you can do, except side in some blue counters.

I'm not how much you guys care about drafting.  Let me know if you think me ranting like this is interesting or not.  I did, at least, pull some nice rares - the four dragons I mentioned and several other very decent ones.  whenever wizards sends my 8.5 avatar to my account so I can sell it, I'm probably going to be doing something like this again.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:24:59 PM

It seems to me black has one of the best late-games, with Dance of Shadows and Devouring Greed. Devouring Greed kicked my butt in my release leagues.

Getting the mana curve right seems pretty hard, I guess especially after Mirrodin and a lot of artifacts. There are no accelerators or color fixers outside of green really, and a lot of mid-tier guys with soulshift are dramatically overcosted.

I haven't done any CHK drafts yet, will soon.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 01:23:15 PM

Kamigawa is super beefed up when you mix in old mana acceleration like Harrow (among other things). Unfortunately I have far too much fun in standard right now using Mirrodin block as nothing more than supplement.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 10:07:01 PM

Standard is some good shit.  Been playing a Gifts Ungiven deck,  all 5 colors,  and even if I lose I have a blast.  Nothing like a deck that plays 1 of alot of cards.

Broken card of the set?  Tie in my eyes right now between Kodama's Reach and Sakura Tribe Elder.  Man, these are great commons....  Should make alot of Green or G/X decks viable.

My thoughts on Cranial Extraction:

Real interesting card.  It's viable in a multi-color or black splash deck.  I have noticed that it's the ultimate equalizer between rogue black decks and the "tier" decks.

With the tier decks,  you know exactly what to extract:  what is necessary to their game plan,  or is their win condition.  Against rogue decks,  I find myself fairly often either extracting something not important, or sometimes even missing with it,  because you have not idea what your opponents game plan is.

Too bad it's at 10 ticks and rising....
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 08:01:57 PM

I just drafted a cranial extraction.

That is all.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 04:56:47 PM

Finally got the credit card situation figured out (fo' reals this time, yo.  I hope), so I've been drafting again lately.  still getting my ass handed to me, but I guess I can find a little solace in the fact that MTGO always pairs me with 1800+ players.  

U/G Spirits of B/x Spirits seems to be among the better archetypes, with U/W evasion being fairly solid as well.  Or those are the decks that I keep getting pounded with, at least.

I've been mainly hitting the 4-3-2-2 tables, anyone know how they compare to the 8-4 tables?  Seems like 4322 is always about 2 1800+'s and the rest are under 1700.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 09:08:41 PM

Quote from: Raging Turtle
Finally got the credit card situation figured out (fo' reals this time, yo.  I hope), so I've been drafting again lately.  still getting my ass handed to me, but I guess I can find a little solace in the fact that MTGO always pairs me with 1800+ players.  

U/G Spirits of B/x Spirits seems to be among the better archetypes, with U/W evasion being fairly solid as well.  Or those are the decks that I keep getting pounded with, at least.

I've been mainly hitting the 4-3-2-2 tables, anyone know how they compare to the 8-4 tables?  Seems like 4322 is always about 2 1800+'s and the rest are under 1700.

Bushido is kicking my ass in draft.  It's a huge mechanic in limited,  making alot of creatures unkillable to other creatures.

I've definitely found white to be strong, and works great in conjunction with black removal.

Made the mistake of drafting what I thought was a real solid B/U deck, with 4 pumpable creatures.  Got destroyed out of the gate by a fast W/R lots of samuri build.

Unlike mirrodin,  CHK seems to have a shitload of mediocre cards.  I hated drafting/sealed Mirrodin because you had to play so many completely shitty cards,  and hope you drafted one or two of the bombs.

As for Type 2,  looks like alot more rogue decks are viable, thank god.  Haven't done too many type 2 events yet, though.  Was getting pretty tired of the pre-CHK scene.

Nothing like joining a tourney with 30 plus people and seeing everyone play Ponza, Ravager, or Goblins.....  God I hated Mirrodin block.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 11:00:00 AM

I SUMMON THE BLUE-EYES WHITE DRAGON FOR TEH WIN!!!1!

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 05:43:32 PM

I SUMMON THE BLUE-EYES WHITE DRAGON FOR TEH WIN!!!1!

I like the blue one better.  I've been playing mono-blue shackles with 2x Keiga and 1x Meloku as a serious deck lately, good times.  Although that damned counter-killing Boseiju in TnN is a pain in the ass.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 06:46:37 PM

Really?  Because I prefer the 2x purple monkey 4x Punky Brewster, with the motor-killing Sushi Toyota and the elf boobies.

Just because I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about doesn't mean I won't hold up my end of the conversation.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 07:25:38 PM

Really? Because I prefer the 2x purple monkey 4x Punky Brewster, with the motor-killing Sushi Toyota and the elf boobies.

If I give you a shiny penny, will you go away forever?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 04:51:54 AM

Bulbasaur, GO!!!

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 06:47:50 AM

Alright, not funny anymore. Stop.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Champions has destroyed my limited rating  
Jump to: