Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: "eMotive" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "eMotive"  (Read 5625 times)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

on: November 07, 2004, 12:46:03 PM

Big fan of Tool and APC, so I naturally snatched this one up.  Apart from their seemingly elitist attitude towards american politics(which I suppose is helped with the founder being a frenchman), I'm enjoying it, with my prevailing  thoughts being that their version of Imagine doesnt really do justice to the original Lennon song, while their rendition of Devo's "Freedom of Choice" is concentrated awesome.  I also like the remix of War Drums from "Thirteenth Step", with it's industrial slant.

Anybody know when Tool will come out with their next?  Listening to music that denounces religion is so much more interesting, in my opinion.

EDIT: Thesaurus is your friend, redundancy is not.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 01:21:40 PM

I heard they're gonna enter the studio early next year, so by my calculations, they'll release something in 2019, and it'll be AWESOME.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 02:11:33 PM

Final Conclusions:

Best song is a tie between "What's Going On"(Marvin Gaye) and "Fiddle and the Drum"(Joni Mitchell).

Least enjoyed: "When the Levee Breaks"

Overall: I felt the album was quite enjoyable for being mostly covers, and do not feel like my $10 was extorted from Virgin Records.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 12:34:14 AM

Fiddle and the Drum and Passive were decent, Freedom of Choice was tolerable. The rest was utter shit.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 04:11:14 AM

Heh, I guess I'm easily placated, musical-wise.  Probably has to do with the fact that everything today sounds like unoriginal garbage.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 06:31:34 AM

I've never heard anything Maynard J Keenan has done that is 'utter shit'. That man takes a dump and it sounds better than most band's best albums.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 01:38:37 PM

Seriously, listen to eMotive. It's just lazy and unimpressive. I suppose part of the problem is all the stuff they covered were all songs I liked, but the songs where they actually bothered to try musically were great.
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 05:05:46 PM

Apparently Maynard didn't do all the singing, so that may explain a bit.  I haven't heard it yet myself though.

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 03:11:14 AM

I agree with Joe, partially at least.  It is the most half-assed of Maynard-related music I've heard to date, even though many of the original songs are classics.  It really does feel like they were desperate to make everybody know for 100% certain that they are politically minded, but instead of new material they cover a bunch of vietnam-era protest songs and actually carry over a remixed song they just did on their previous album.  I don't feel cheated out of my ten dollars, as I have enjoyed listening to it, but I am disappointed, knowing what these musicians are capable of.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: "eMotive"  
Jump to: