Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:21:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 628055 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: May 01, 2011, 12:21:14 AM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: May 01, 2011, 12:23:56 AM

It was the TARDIS in the lodger episode.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: May 01, 2011, 02:26:39 AM

The Silence's pseudo-TARDIS was in The Lodger last series - you know, the pilotless one that kept luring humans up as replacement pilots and then killing them because they weren't capable of actually being pilots.

Speculation: And now we have Amy's Schroedinger's fœtus, who is the daughter of two time-travellers and being gestated inside a time machine, and also has other wibbly-wobbly...stuff going on. So the Silence kidnap her and plan to use her as their pilot. Except she's dying, so they build a superadvanced life-support system and cram it into a space suit. And then cram her into the suit. And the plot goes from there.

E: VVV Why? It's all speculation based on stuff that's already aired (Amy is pregnant...ish, the kid has a picture of Amy + baby, we know 'normal' humans can't pilot a Silent-TARDIS, etc. etc.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:37:59 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:58 AM

Some people are gonna be mad if you don't spoiler that.

I don't care, since it's clearly all shite, true or not.

why so serious?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:34:44 AM by Ironwood »

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: May 01, 2011, 04:02:10 AM

I thought the concept of the monsters was interesting but the story gave us more questions than answers and I don't know how confident I am that we'll ever get answers that make sense.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: May 01, 2011, 04:07:23 AM

Really ?  Fair enough.  Confirming that would require me rewatching it.  Don't intend to.

I'm still stuck on how the hell they organised themselves against an enemy that makes you forget they exist.  Really.  I had major problems with that.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: May 01, 2011, 04:17:16 AM

I'm almost certain the Doctor's daughter regenerated way back when. They all left her dead and were :sadf: then after they left she regenerated and blasted off into space in what I had expected to be the launch of a new spin-off featuring a scantily clad hot girl/kids show (that's either/or not a combination).

The two parter really did need a few bits of the Doctor staring at walls going, "There are holes, holes in the plot and they're spreading!" That would have been a series reference I'd have appreciated Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? I'm also wondering if the more gung ho, "Kill them all and let God decide!" Doctor is a deliberate thing for US audiences or just how Moffat wants the Doctor played. He seems to be trying to tread a line between the Doctor not liking guns and violence and still getting into firefights and fucking up his enemies in a manner I don't really think works. Gah, the story for this gets worse and worse as I notice things and think about it. It was at least entertaining enough at the time but I can never really shake the feeling that that's down more to the actors than the writing.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: May 01, 2011, 04:31:06 AM

I like the idea that the Silence had always been there, manipulating human history. It made no sense that the Doctor had never noticed this before, especially if they have been there for thousands of years, but Dr Who always put a good story ahead of continuity and that's ok by me.
How do you know the Doc has never met them before?  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: May 01, 2011, 04:36:36 AM

The Doctor was able to tell the Daleks were manipulating the Earth by looking at it's tech level for five and a half seconds.

Even if he didn't remember what was doing it, the fact of it being done should be canonically apparent.

Ahem.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: May 01, 2011, 05:55:51 AM

Moffat fucks with continuity way too much. His "Doctor Who as Fairy Tale" approach kills internal consistency of plot and characters. While if you don't think about it Moffat Who works, he is way too ready to piss all over established lore for too little payback.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:58:51 AM by Tebonas »
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: May 01, 2011, 10:55:15 AM

Weird. I totally didn't make the connection between Amy's pregnancy, the time lord kid, and the kid in the space suit. I figured it was going to be another completely unrelated time lord, like maybe the Master or someone. Even the Doctor's Daughter.

I thought the Silence being foreshadowed last year was a kinda "Oh...really? Um...ok." moment.

I'm still stuck on how the hell they organised themselves against an enemy that makes you forget they exist.  Really.  I had major problems with that.

I don't think it was so much organized warfare, as looking at the TV, seeing someone who's going to destroy you, then turning around and seeing them right there. After long enough, the Silence have to either leave, or keep dieing off one by one.

Honestly, I freaking loved how that was done. I was all "OH MY GAWD" when I realized what he was doing, the likes of which I hadn't had in a long time.

Yet I'm hating the screwdriver as a pewpew device. And also hating the Doctor being ok hanging around with with a murderer.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: May 01, 2011, 11:15:26 AM

I don't think you understood what I was saying.  I was talking about the Doctor and Co.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: May 01, 2011, 12:07:41 PM

And furthermore, in reply to Ironwood

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #783 on: May 01, 2011, 03:22:11 PM

Yeah, the more I think about this one, the more it annoys the shit out of me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #784 on: May 01, 2011, 08:28:34 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: May 02, 2011, 01:16:21 AM

I don't think you've been erased from existence when there's a pile of your ashes on the ground.  I think you just got Burned.

/Michael Westen

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: May 02, 2011, 05:20:50 AM

I don't think you understood what I was saying.  I was talking about the Doctor and Co.

It's hardly the first time, though. See: Vervoids, Ice Warrior fleet, Racnoss, the whole "ending the Time War" thing...

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:57 AM

The Doctor is demonstrably inconsistent about killing. He is certainly willing to allow UNIT or other associates to fight back when necessary. He himself will pull the plug on an adversary that is threatening genocide with no other solution presenting itself--I thought his anguish over the killing of the Daleks in "Journey's End" was more inconsistent than otherwise. (His anguish over the Time War's end is now clearly much more about the fact that he had to genocide his own people, including his family.) But in this case, I think it's also clear that he's looking to checkmate the Silence and force them to stay away from humanity rather than getting them all dead.

I did find the sonic screwdriver pew pew really oddly filmed--I assumed he was trying to disable the fake Tardis. But it was badly staged.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: May 02, 2011, 05:48:35 PM

I don't think you understood what I was saying.  I was talking about the Doctor and Co....

Ahh yeah, I didn't understand. Interesting point.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: May 03, 2011, 04:42:03 AM

Honestly, try to imagine the Guy from Memento organising a resistance movement.  Yeah.

And it was never explained what the fuck.  I entirely expected them to 'cop out' with 'Timelords are immune' but they actually made it clear that it affected him too.  So, I repeat, what the fuck ?

Another Moffat that has some shine to it but built on a foundation of quicksand.  I almost wish the guy wrote novels so I could rip the cunt out of them too.

(Also, they moved too fast.  The whole 'cut away, cut back and they're gone' just didn't make any sense.  Sure, if the person affected is losing time, that's fine, but it shouldn't happen when there's multiple people in the room, all of whom are looking in different directions.)

This is officially my last Dr Who Post of the Season until the end.  I really, really can't rant anymore, it's tired even to my ears and, frankly, I'm actually a really positive guy.  There's just so much shite out there right now in books, TV and films.  I may still answer questions tho.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: May 03, 2011, 06:06:48 AM

Wait, so you're still going to watch the show? Why bother, given the intensity of your feelings about it?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: May 03, 2011, 06:09:56 AM

Because I've watched it all my life and, even now, there are some hidden gems of episodes.

I really don't wanna miss the Gaiman one !

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: May 03, 2011, 06:10:36 AM

Alternative fuel in Scotland is rage. Probably just refilling the tank to heat the house next winter.
adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: May 03, 2011, 09:11:16 PM

Because I've watched it all my life and, even now, there are some hidden gems of episodes.

I really don't wanna miss the Gaiman one !

I'm sure the Gaiman one will disappoint you as well.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: May 04, 2011, 12:39:46 AM

I'm sure it will.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: May 04, 2011, 07:29:35 AM

Ironwood is holding out for the repeal of Sturgeon's Law.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: May 04, 2011, 11:33:25 AM

But I don't even like caviar...

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #797 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:25 PM

No one does, people just eat it to prove what posh gits they are.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: May 05, 2011, 04:03:56 AM

I have to ask, for those of you who watched the original broadcast on the BBC, how long was it and was it broken up over two episodes? On BBC America we had the first hour one week and roughly 45 minutes for the conclusion the next week. There just seemed to be pieces missing between the two episdoes (either that or I need to watch it again to fully grasp it). I've seen BBC:A edit the hell out of the new episodes before and was wondering if they did it again.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: May 05, 2011, 08:33:17 AM

They took out a 15-minute scene of Amy Pond's tits.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: May 05, 2011, 10:01:03 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: May 05, 2011, 11:02:19 AM

I have to ask, for those of you who watched the original broadcast on the BBC, how long was it and was it broken up over two episodes? On BBC America we had the first hour one week and roughly 45 minutes for the conclusion the next week. There just seemed to be pieces missing between the two episdoes (either that or I need to watch it again to fully grasp it). I've seen BBC:A edit the hell out of the new episodes before and was wondering if they did it again.

There were two episodes and both were 45 minutes without adverts. The opening of episode two has Amy being chased in a desert.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #802 on: May 05, 2011, 11:09:27 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Oh, like you wouldn't line up to see that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:47 AM

Indeed.  Which is why I can assure you it wasn't in the BBC version I saw.

Heartbreak

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #804 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:05 PM

A 15-minute segment like that would erase all Moffat and Davies's sins combined.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: