Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624517 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #525 on: June 19, 2010, 01:51:51 PM

Where are people watching this in the states
Tor...
other than torrents?
Ohhhhh, I see.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: June 19, 2010, 02:56:08 PM

Great episode. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: June 19, 2010, 03:51:48 PM

BBC-America, it's about 2 or 3 weeks behind Britain.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #528 on: June 19, 2010, 08:46:16 PM

Is is possible to split this into a UK and US thread? It's somewhat hard to read otherwise.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: June 19, 2010, 09:21:38 PM

That's why we have spoiler tags!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ugh, it's about 20 minutes into the Dinopeople Part 2, and I'm flipping through my D&D books, eating a Hostess apple pie with a very noisy wrapper, replaying the Scott Pilgrim trailer in my head...every once in a while Karen Gillan comes on the screen and I marvel at her awesome legs. But UGH I'm just not into it. And I think people are accurate when they say it's not about the Doctor, because most of this episode is people sitting in a freaking basement talking about a damn taser.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #530 on: June 19, 2010, 09:53:33 PM

BBC-America, it's about 2 or 3 weeks behind Britain.

Thank you! Now I don't feel too bad about, uhm, you know. Especially when I am making Steve Jobs cry when I convert it to a file I can then watch on my iPad.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: June 20, 2010, 04:38:31 AM

We're only up to the drilling episode in the States, so...do they ever get rid of Roy??? Ugh. I see no need for him to be there and he's actually making Amy Pond look unattractive.
Ugh, it's about 20 minutes into the Dinopeople Part 2...
There you go, your Rory dilemma is solved.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: June 20, 2010, 11:15:51 AM

We're only up to the drilling episode in the States, so...do they ever get rid of Roy??? Ugh. I see no need for him to be there and he's actually making Amy Pond look unattractive.
Ugh, it's about 20 minutes into the Dinopeople Part 2...
There you go, your Rory dilemma is solved.  awesome, for real

Yeah, I just wish I cared enough about the characters to feel whatever it is I was supposed to feel.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #533 on: June 21, 2010, 08:39:12 AM

I was actually starting to like Rory. I finished watching the Siluarian episode part 2, and while it was certainly better than the ending of the Weeping Angels two-parter, it's still missing something. Matt Smith is coming into his own as the Doctor, but it's really never been about the Doctor all damn season. We're obviously leading up to the Doctor's fuckup creating everything that we're seeing with the crack, but they really are overdoing the crack thing. It has only marginally been all that interesting.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: June 21, 2010, 10:25:16 AM

It gets worse.  Moffat manages to outdo RTD in the retarded finale 'Throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks' stakes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #535 on: June 21, 2010, 10:40:12 AM

FYI for us Yanks... Blink is showing again tomorrow evening on BBC America. I missed it the first time around and only caught a piece before.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #536 on: June 22, 2010, 07:59:03 AM

The finale came across like they were hoping that just throwing everything Who at us at once would make it cool. It wasn't all bad, but it didn't really have the emotional impact some of the previous finales have had.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: June 23, 2010, 03:06:59 AM

Just watched Silurians part deux last night and so far, that story has been my favorite of the new season. It just felt like classic Who. It was somewhat better paced than the earlier episodes. Shame about the Rory though, he was much better than Mickey, or at least much less annoying.

Someone clear something up for me though...how come anything the crack light touches vanishes from existence but the Doctor can just stick his hand in? Was that explained before? I sometimes have trouble with comprehension and miss details as everything seems to go by at a mile a minute in the new Who.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: June 23, 2010, 03:11:25 AM

Because of shit writing.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: June 23, 2010, 03:26:55 AM

So was that the actual season finale or just part one of it?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: June 23, 2010, 03:43:38 AM

Part One, I thought.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: June 23, 2010, 03:46:29 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bang_(Doctor_Who)
SOMETHING HUGELY RETARDED.

Minor info on the last episode, which even someone with lemons in their head will have figured out.  Fuck, I could tell you exactly how it's gonna go.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: June 23, 2010, 03:58:29 AM

If this means what I suspect it does this is unintentionally funny.

The season where the doctor basically gets sidelined by his companion(s) all the time is the season everybody decides he is a danger to the universe.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: June 26, 2010, 08:02:45 AM

Because of shit writing.

...or maybe it's because HE'S A FUCKING TIME LORD.

swamp poop

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: June 26, 2010, 11:11:59 AM

I've just seen the final episode of the season.

My prediction is that in three years time Richard Curtis takes over executive production of Doctor Who and we all eagerly look forward to the guy who wrote the decent stories in the Moffat era finally having a chance to impose some sort of quality control on the scripts, only to be bitterly disappointed.

I did enjoy some of the emotional stuff in this episode but
i) the story made no sense at all
ii)
iii) River Song is still annoying.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:13:34 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: June 26, 2010, 11:26:40 AM

The story made perfect sense. There were just a few temporal causality loops all running at once, that's all.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: June 26, 2010, 02:41:13 PM

Haters still gonna hate, but that's because they want Doctor Who to be something it isn't. Sucks to be them.

Fantastic finale, probably the best since the reboot. Lots of lovely wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff to get stuck into. Christmas feels like a very long time away.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: June 26, 2010, 03:23:46 PM

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: June 26, 2010, 04:31:54 PM

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: June 26, 2010, 04:34:43 PM

Haters still gonna hate, but that's because they want Doctor Who to be something it isn't. Sucks to be them.

Fantastic finale, probably the best since the reboot. Lots of lovely wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff to get stuck into. Christmas feels like a very long time away.

I actually liked most of the series. I just think that this episode didn't make sense.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: June 26, 2010, 09:14:12 PM

The only part about this episode I didn't like was that it violated all the stuff that came up during the father's day episode in season one where people aren't supposed to interact with their own past.  However, I did much prefer the whole Bill and Ted approach to this one.  At least they remembered that asynchronous time travel was possible again.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #551 on: June 26, 2010, 10:42:25 PM

Watched the Van Gogh episode. Best episode of the season, hands down. No time crack shit, which is starting to be a good sign. But for some reason, BBC America isn't showing it next week, so I'm without Doctoring for that long.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: June 26, 2010, 11:00:50 PM

Woeful.  An entire season of ego wank.  This guy makes RTD look humble.

Dr Who isn't about Fairy tales.  Moffat thinks it is.  This is why I don't like his season.

Utter rubbish.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: June 27, 2010, 03:03:23 AM

Dr Who isn't about Fairy tales.  Moffat thinks it is.  This is why I don't like his season.

Utter rubbish.
You are Lawrence Miles and I claim my UK £5.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: June 27, 2010, 05:02:42 AM

Utter rubbish.

People like you are responsible for Midichlorians.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: June 27, 2010, 05:31:38 AM

I'm not interested in arguing with you.

Thanks for the link Simond.  He's clearly BONKERS, but makes a lot of good points that I agree with.

Not sure what that means about me.   why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: June 27, 2010, 05:36:41 AM

I've liked a good deal of this season. I think the weakness is in the plotting, often particularly the pacing of the plotting and the conclusion to most episodes. Performances are solid, some of the story concepts are good, and the dialogue is often great. I can't see the nerd rage about its horribleness, but neither is it the greatest season evah or anything.

The Van Gogh episode is the highwater mark, though.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: June 27, 2010, 05:39:35 AM

Lawrence Miles is hilariously bitter and insane with jealousy that first RTD then Moffat got to run the show AND HE DIDN'T. (He used to be an author for the Dr Who books but when the BBC retconned his works out of existance he took his ball and started wrting fanfiction with the serial numbers filed off his own novels). He's one step from writing letters to the editor in green ink.

One step beyond that, natch.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: June 27, 2010, 05:51:06 AM

His paragraph about Venom was right on the money though.

awesome, for real

PS - Has anyone read Black Company ?

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: June 27, 2010, 06:13:28 AM

Laurence Miles is a horrible waste of meat and air. Seriously, the bitterest, most self-delusional failed writer out there.

The series was good. Not 'omg teh greatest EVAR' good, but then, y'know, I'm an adult who grew up watching what I could of Doctor Who as it all but ended early on in my childhood and I therefore had to piece things together from occassional BBC2 saturday morning repeats and videotapes. I can judge this season on something I have done for every episode, unlike all previous post-2005 seasons - I watched all the Confidentials. That says something to me, that I was compelled to find out more.

It's true to say this season has been responsible for probably my least favourite Who episode to date - The Beast Below. It could have been something, but it was very clear that it was only included in the season because time constraints and budget precluded the notion of scrapping it and making an entirely different episode. It just simply doesn't make sense in any fashion. To be fair, it would appear that Queen Liz 10 is meant to be a recurring character (the end of the season finale hints at a reappearance from her in the next season) and I can't fault them for needing her to be part of things, it's just a crippling shame that the episode couldn't live up to what Moffat and the writing team needed her to be.

The season also granted me, however, one of my very favourite episodes - Vincent and the Doctor. It could have been disastrous; Curtis hasn't been on top of his game for a very long time, but he was clearly having a very good day when he wrote that episode, to the point where it even gave me a touch more appreciation for an artist and school of painting I have never loved or had much time for (Impressionism starts and stops with Monet as far as I'm concerned).

The finale, though, was far and beyond better than any since 2005. For once, we actually got to see the good Doctor manipulate time in a clever fashion that appears outwardly logical (though won't bear close scrutiny, as is the case with any time-travel story) and lives up to his title. That so much of the previous episodes informed its unfolding was a beautiful piece of close to the chest writing by Moffat and team, not content with a simple montage of 'Bad Wolf' signs, it actually showed us some new footage and relayed some old that previously didn't make sense, and really cemented the relationship between the Doctor and Amy, as he sees it - much closer to an uncle or grandfather trapped in an young man's body - a slightly febrile version of Hartnell's First Doctor to Susan, perhaps.

Moffat's writing for the long haul. RTD had a conclusion in mind but didn't really know how to reach it in an intelligible manner, he just dotted clues here and there that often had little implication to the episodes themselves up until the big 'reveal'. Moffat has been far more clever this season, and will continue to reap the seeds he's sown well into the next.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: