Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624416 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: April 12, 2010, 01:03:33 PM

I didn't have a huge problem with it, I enjoyed the episode it just didn't seem to make any sense afterwards. I can understand why they had things like the smilers and what it was meant to be it just made as much sense as having monitoring devices that looked like ice cream vans. It looks sort of creepy but why would any sane person ever think it made sense as a monitoring device?
Because Good Queen Lizzie X and her maj's govt were clealr going for the whole nostalgia shtick with the look and feel, so why not have their CCTVs/help points/etc. look like demented end-of-the-pier automata booths?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: April 17, 2010, 08:03:34 PM

Just saw the BBC America of "The Eleventh Hour".

Pretty durn good, I thought. I get that there's some plot holes and shit, but really they didn't worry me. Most things clicked very well. I could have done without Amy ogling the Doctor's ass, maybe, but otherwise...

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #317 on: April 17, 2010, 09:03:59 PM

The show's formula is beyond tiresome when the Doctor doesn't have a strong, unique trait. File this guy in the already forgotten generic Doctor bin. The next incarnation of the doctor needs to be a smoking hot half asian, half indian/arab girl. Instead of wearing dumbass bowties or sweaters that make the doctor look like an even more spastic Tucker Carlson, she could wear a hot teacher outfit. Or even better, a hot schoolgirl outfit. Either way, glasses and spikey punk bunches/angel wings are a must. And instead of fixing stuff with a sonic screwdriver she could just tie something together with her panties - like in Operation Petticoat with the bra.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #318 on: April 17, 2010, 11:29:03 PM

The Dalek episode was pretty weak IMO.  The Eccleston episode "Dalek" was awesome, but ever since then the Daleks have been getting increasingly lame.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: April 18, 2010, 12:55:00 AM

Something went wrong there. Amy seems to be the Doctor while the Doctor is just a companion. I'm all for empowered women, the Doctor gets more and more useless through the episodes. Maybe thats a reason he appears so unremarkable, he is neither witty not a quick thinker anymore.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: April 18, 2010, 01:31:28 AM

Dire.  Fucking Woeful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: April 18, 2010, 04:02:39 AM

The show's formula is beyond tiresome when the Doctor doesn't have a strong, unique trait. File this guy in the already forgotten generic Doctor bin. The next incarnation of the doctor needs to be a smoking hot half asian, half indian/arab girl. Instead of wearing dumbass bowties or sweaters that make the doctor look like an even more spastic Tucker Carlson, she could wear a hot teacher outfit. Or even better, a hot schoolgirl outfit. Either way, glasses and spikey punk bunches/angel wings are a must. And instead of fixing stuff with a sonic screwdriver she could just tie something together with her panties - like in Operation Petticoat with the bra.

Sadly, the show is Dr Who, not angry.bob's sunday morning wank-fantasy. I actually really like Matt Smith's Doctor, definitely the most eccentric for a while. His style might be geeky and dated, but it's purposeful. Nobody in the UK knows who the flying fuck Tucker Carlson is, btw. He'd be refused entry on the basis of that hideous fucking name, for a start.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: April 18, 2010, 04:09:18 AM

Something went wrong there. Amy seems to be the Doctor while the Doctor is just a companion. I'm all for empowered women, the Doctor gets more and more useless through the episodes. Maybe thats a reason he appears so unremarkable, he is neither witty not a quick thinker anymore.

As for Amy - it's early days (like the third episode, you act as if we're mid-season). They're really trying to establish her as someone who actually belongs at the Doctor's side for once, someone who can see the things he can't - usually on an emotional, human level, someone who can see the little details in the Doctor's big picture. The entirety of time is a bloody big canvas, after all - and he's all the more disoriented by the fact that a: he's newly regenerated and b: he's discovering that the time-line has been royally fucked with.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: April 18, 2010, 04:17:56 AM

Just saw the first episode and I liked it. I'm not going to let myself be biased by the 'early reviews' popping up here. I've learned from 25+ years of watching the show that it doesn't matter who is playing the Doctor, only that the Doctor is still around. I think most here are having much the same reaction to the transition of Tennant to Smith as I did when it went from Baker to Davidson. Baker and Tennant were the apex of the actors portraying the Doctor. We'll have ups and downs with each new guy, but as long as the show goes on, that's all that matters. Well, to me at any rate.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: April 18, 2010, 04:37:08 AM

Right, I want to dispel this myth RIGHT AWAY.  I thought I already had, but hey ho.

Matt Smith is FINE.  He's doing FINE.  He's OKAY.  I don't mind him as I thought I would.

But these episodes thus far have been DREADFUL.  The I-Mac Daleks were a fucking TRAVESTY of design.

That is all.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: April 18, 2010, 05:22:29 AM

The I-Mac Daleks were a fucking TRAVESTY of design.

Colourful Daleks are hardly new, nor the rightful recipient of such angry angry bile  why so serious?

Seriously, the Daleks have been peacocking about for fucking years.

This movie poster was the direct inspiration for the new look - colourful, and threateningly large.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: April 18, 2010, 06:03:36 AM

I like Matt Smith's doctor. He's more like a young and enthusiastic academic than an action hero, and that's great. I'm hoping the daleks go back to being bad-ass in their new primary colour incarnation. They are meant to be waging war on the entire galaxy and winning, which is why the Doctor fears them so much (although even in the classic series they were usually in some sort of trouble and not at their full strength somehow).

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: April 18, 2010, 08:19:50 AM

I to am a bit concerned that not 3 episodes in to a new doctor, fucking Daleks.

DIDN'T WE JUST DO AN EPIC, AND I MEAN EPIC SHAKE UP/SHOW DOWN WITH THEM WHERE EVERYTHING CHANGES?

We just had the end all be all showdown top of the Daleks list drag out. The fuck? Need new enemies before bringing the Daleks.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #328 on: April 18, 2010, 09:14:25 AM

The Dalek episode was pretty weak IMO.  The Eccleston episode "Dalek" was awesome, but ever since then the Daleks have been getting increasingly lame.

That Dalek episode was astonishgly good, this was like watching the tardis jump an intergalactic space shark.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: April 18, 2010, 09:40:48 AM

Right, I want to dispel this myth RIGHT AWAY.  I thought I already had, but hey ho.

Matt Smith is FINE.  He's doing FINE.  He's OKAY.  I don't mind him as I thought I would.

But these episodes thus far have been DREADFUL.  The I-Mac Daleks were a fucking TRAVESTY of design.

That is all.
The original designer of the Daleks disliked the RTD-era look, incidentally. He felt that the Daleks should always be smooth and hi-tech, not rivets & bolts on hammered bronze.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: April 18, 2010, 09:52:51 AM

It's not the colour.  It's the DESIGN.

They now have a humped back.  They are ribbed, for you pleasure, the gun/sucker raised outward area is stupid.  They're less sleek and more blocky.

They look STUPID.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:58:41 AM by Ironwood »

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: April 18, 2010, 10:25:55 AM

I'd ask to subscribe to your newsletter, but this is the only one of your beliefs I can get behind. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #332 on: April 18, 2010, 12:34:30 PM

I actually dig Matt Smith's Doctor, just from the first episode. Something about him appeals to me. Not sure about the bowtie. Thought he looked better as the raggedy Doctor, but I suppose he can't run around in cut up clothes all season. The companion is every bit as yummy in motion as she is in pictures. Seriously, she can wear that police outfit the whole season, especially the fishnets and it'd be worth watching.

The first episode villain was /meh, but first episode villains usually are.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #333 on: April 18, 2010, 01:37:58 PM

They now have a humped back.  They are ribbed, for you pleasure, the gun/sucker raised outward area is stupid.  They're less sleek and more blocky.

They look STUPID.

Really? They look like Alessi salt and pepper shakers. Not looking forward to that episode.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: April 18, 2010, 02:17:12 PM

Glad I caught the Saturday night run of the episode. They're re-running it now on BBC:A and so far quite a bit of the Doctor meeting little Amy has been cut out. All the important bits are still there, but a lot of the little funny things have been cut. The grappling hook scene, most of the 'Cook me this yuk I hate it' scene. Makes me wonder now how much of the other episodes I've seen on SyFy/BBC:A have been cut all to hell.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: April 18, 2010, 02:21:32 PM

Why ?

Why would they do that ?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: April 18, 2010, 03:16:31 PM

That particular episode was longer than usual. Maybe BBC:A wanted to show a normal-length version so they cut it down.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #337 on: April 18, 2010, 03:17:45 PM

They look STUPID.

FAT DALEKS
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: April 18, 2010, 05:59:48 PM

Plus, y'know. Fuckin' toys, man.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #339 on: April 18, 2010, 08:05:14 PM

Fortunately neither the writer nor the director of this Dalek episode is involved in any further Doctor Who episode.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: April 19, 2010, 01:04:40 AM

Matt, that's absolute bollocks.  Really.  You wasted your time and finger energy typing it.

swamp poop

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #341 on: April 19, 2010, 02:17:45 AM

I've been scarred by the bizarre volume of bulbous blimps over WWII London (they didn't look like that, nor were they that low or clustered), formation diving Stukas over the city (that's not how London was bombed), Churchill the jovial jowly Doctor-aware pickpocket (he was a serious, conservative politician) and so many other things that were just stomach-churningly bad.

I find many younger people have a fantasy view of WWII and a poor grasp of associated concepts (e.g. Hitler, Hiroshima), and this depiction only reinforced it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:22:14 AM by Tale »
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: April 19, 2010, 04:11:59 AM

Fortunately neither the writer nor the director of this Dalek episode is involved in any further Doctor Who episode.

You may be right on the director, but the writer was Mark Gatiss, who has not only written 3 episodes since the series was rebooted in 2005 but also 4 Dr Who novels and 2 Dr Who radio plays to date (and is also one of the main writers/actors in The League of Gentlemen). Gatiss isn't going away - hell, he even appeared as Dr. Lazaruss in one episode.

Matt, that's absolute bollocks.  Really.  You wasted your time and finger energy typing it.

You'll have to catch the Confidential, I guess. Sorry, old chap.

Churchill the jovial jowly Doctor-aware pickpocket (he was a serious, conservative politician)

I find many younger people have a fantasy view of WWII

These two sentences. I think you need to look at them carefully. Churchill was an incredibly complicated man. Of all the silly things to complain about in this latest episode, Churchill being portrayed with a sense of humour and a dark wit is not one of them. I really enjoyed the idea that he and the Doctor had a rapport, a mutual respect and friendship. They share a great many character traits.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: April 19, 2010, 04:19:05 AM

You'll have to catch the Confidential, I guess. Sorry, old chap.

Yeah, what I really want to do is a catchup of the people who wrote, directed and designed this horseshit to take my through what they were thinking and feeling as they kicked me in the crotch.

No wonder your post made no sense and was bordering on stupidly offensive.  You'll be chanelling Moffat.  Heh.

There have been Dalek episodes right at the damn start before any genetic tampering.  They still looked cooler and not at all hunchbacked.  Defend it all you like;  the episode was ultra retarded.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: April 19, 2010, 04:27:21 AM

Yeah, what I really want to do is a catchup of the people who wrote, directed and designed this horseshit to take my through what they were thinking and feeling as they kicked me in the crotch.

No wonder your post made no sense and was bordering on stupidly offensive.  You'll be chanelling Moffat.  Heh.

There have been Dalek episodes right at the damn start before any genetic tampering.  They still looked cooler and not at all hunchbacked.  Defend it all you like;  the episode was ultra retarded.

Oh for god's sake, stop being so aggressive. It's a fucking family show designed to scare 7 year olds into hiding behind the sofa. It's one of the greatest cultural crossovers in television history and you're bitching about 'roid Daleks. You know who else is fat, colourful, extremely right-wing and above all, terrifying? Cartman.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: April 19, 2010, 05:26:35 AM

No.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: April 19, 2010, 05:34:05 AM

why so serious?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #347 on: April 19, 2010, 05:43:30 AM

I finally get to sit down tonight and watch all the episodes my DVR decided to record. Which also means I can actually read all your comments instead of skimming through the rabble.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #348 on: April 19, 2010, 06:08:30 AM

The new Dalek master race. Guaranteed to slaughter everyone in the universe, just so long as they don't have small door frames.

I was coming here hoping to hear that the writer and or director of episode three was a one off, because really, that episode was all over the place in a really bad way.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: April 19, 2010, 07:06:29 AM

Jesus, you'd think that when some of the best episodes from the previous few seasons have been the smaller scale not ridiculous in-your-face crap they'd take that as some sort of hint about what direction to take the show in but no. Instead we have giant Daleks and spitfires in space with "lasers".  Big exciting event episodes have a place but we haven't even really gotten to know this Doctor yet and after a big introduction and the crazy non-sensical space whales we get brand new Daleks? It feels like he's gotten access to the toy box and rather than planning any cool games the writers are grabbing the biggest coolest looking toys and banging them together going *kerplow*. Which is a shame because Smith seems like a decent Doctor and the new companion is not only sexy but so far a reasonably interesting character.

Maybe the next one will be better though I'm worried it's going to be like someone just repeating the best bits from Blink and the Library. Though even if it's that unoriginal the moments might be good enough to make it work anyway.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: