Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624393 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: April 05, 2010, 10:07:48 AM

Ah ok, so it's not the idea of story arcs just complaints about badly done ones. I've only been watching for the last few years since the series came back. I thought maybe story arcs went against how the series was originally and that was what was pissing people off.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: April 05, 2010, 10:32:43 AM

The thing with the arcs is that they often involve characters in the early episodes who seem mysteriously to know what's going to happen later and drop cryptic hints, to which the Doctor looks worried, and then whatever they've been talking about eventually happens. It just seems clumsy sometimes.

I'm going to give Moffat the benefit of the doubt on this one for the time being.  Unlike RTD, he generally remembers that the Doctor is a time traveller, with all that entails.  Hopefully the overarching plot makes a bit more sense this time around.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: April 06, 2010, 04:30:45 AM

I fucking doubt it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: April 06, 2010, 04:32:05 AM

Playing along with the foreshadowing (I agree it was clumsy), what was he doing at the end with that equipment in the Tardis? It looked to me like he was maybe taking her voiceprint, as he waited for her to say something close to it before fiddling with it.

I like Amy as a character. She's a lot like Rose in that she has a useless boyfriend and seems to fancy the Doctor (although Mickey became a great character over time), but I'm guessing Amy is going to be more than Rose mk. 2.

In that scene they were both lying.  An interesting start to the relationship.

She's got a wedding to go to and he knows more about her than he lets on.

Wish I did.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:45 PM

A co-worker tried to get me to watch the first episode today. I watched up until the opening credits before I stopped the player. I want to see this with the wife and daughter with no spoilers. The opening was cool enough that I will wait and watch this as intended. I like where it's going. Except the new opening theme. That's going to have to grow on me.

And now for a brief comic interlude (although I'm sure most have probably seen it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q88kt_Vtyl4

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:08 PM

Are you talking about the first episode of the latest series reboot from 2005 or the first episode in the current season?
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: April 07, 2010, 03:43:09 AM

Are you talking about the first episode of the latest series reboot from 2005 or the first episode in the current season?

Current season. It doesn't premier until 4/17 over here.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: April 10, 2010, 11:16:42 AM

That felt a bit like a lost McCoy episode, but in a good way.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: April 10, 2010, 11:18:31 AM

Hmmm.  'In a Good Way' is mutually exclusive to a McCoy episode.

It was Ok.  I liked it well enough.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: April 10, 2010, 11:49:35 PM

I think Sylvester McCoy gets too much of a bum rap. As I've later watched the Colin Baker and McCoy episodes, they weren't bad candidates for the Doctor. The writing, directing and production had gone to such shit by that point that no one could have saved the show from cancellation. There were some brilliant premises in the last few years of the original but the execution was just horrible. I think my favorite McCoy episode was The Curse of Fenric. It came soooo close to being on par with the best of the earlier years.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #290 on: April 11, 2010, 02:15:48 AM

I wish he would stop saying things like "I am The Doctor and this is what I do". We fucking know that's what you do and we're well aware you're the regenerated Doctor. Enough affirmations, just get on with it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: April 11, 2010, 02:57:52 AM

At least he's not going on and on anymore about his people burning.  "There was a bad day" seems to cover it.

You know what bugs me about Moffat stories ?  The way they seem fine until you think about them and then you realise they actually made no fucking sense whatsoever.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: April 11, 2010, 03:09:10 AM

I'm not big on the new "Geronimo" catch-phrase. Hopefully, once they've established it they can cut way back on its use.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: April 11, 2010, 03:10:59 AM

On a related note, Confidential made it abundantly clear that the Doctor is totally tapping that IRL.

Lucky Bastard.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: April 11, 2010, 10:49:43 AM

You know what bugs me about Moffat stories ?  The way they seem fine until you think about them and then you realise they actually made no fucking sense whatsoever.

Ignoring everything else I think my favourite thing being
I'm still not completely convinced about the new Dr. but I think he's going to grow on me. I just hope the rest of it works slightly better than these first couple once they're happy that the characters have been introduced.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: April 11, 2010, 10:50:44 AM

The Smilers were never actually explained.

Like, at all.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: April 11, 2010, 10:55:25 AM

They were chilling and scary. Just like the statues in that episode that every one liked so much. Hopefully the new producer doesn't think things like that are going to be necessary in every single new show.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: April 11, 2010, 10:57:23 AM

Neither was
I'm not really holding out much hope that British Daleks will make a lot more sense, on top of the fact that he seems to be taking one of the older episodes and just putting it in WWII.
They were chilling and scary. Just like the statues in that episode that every one liked so much. Hopefully the new producer doesn't think things like that are going to be necessary in every single new show.

The difference being that the weeping angels were weird alien things that don't really need an explanation beyond what they are. Why the fuck did they decide to build smilers and what the fuck were they? The Angels got more and needed less in terms of explanation.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: April 11, 2010, 11:08:29 AM

Again, don't get me wrong :  Did what was required.  Elena spent most of the episode hiding behind her hands.  That's what Dr Who is all about.

But usually the adults don't come away with that WTF feeling.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: April 11, 2010, 11:19:09 AM

Hah, until you mentioned it I didn't even notice that the smilers made absolutely no sense at all. I can sort of rationalize Liz 10 not remembering she'd been ruling for 200 years but the smilers - especially the half smiler / half human ones were completely explanation free.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: April 11, 2010, 12:09:06 PM

The episodes have been ok enough- I like Amy.  But Matt Smith doesn't seem to manifesting an actual personality, like 9 and 10.  He just kind of sloshes through. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: April 11, 2010, 05:12:02 PM

Honestly while I might be disappointed I get the feeling he's going to grow into the role and I get the impression they're going to be taking him more in the direction of 'grumpy old bastard with a heart of gold' despite the obviously young appearance. They've made it clear the character is still coming to terms with who he is so I'll give him another couple of episodes before I'm going to say if he's doing a decent job. Frankly Ecclestone never really grew on me so I'm hoping to like him more.

I did enjoy both episodes but I'm quite aware that I've been waiting for a Who fix for a while and I don't think that I'd really want to watch either of them again. I'll enjoy this series but I'm still hoping it's going to improve.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: April 11, 2010, 06:23:05 PM

I'm loving Matt Smith as the Doctor. Loving. I thought Tennant had a good scrape at it, but his angry shouty wrathful oh ok let's be friends schtick was becoming more and more jarring, and by the end, while I wasn't grateful to see the back of him, I was really looking forward to a fresh face and approach. 2 episodes into the new series, Matt Smith has really struck a chord - a much more old school, eccentric style Doctor, more Troughton and Baker-ish.

His first line in episode 1 was simply killer - totally left-field, led on to some expertly timed comedic getting-to-know you scenes, and created an indelible emotional link with his new Companion. I watched the first episode twice - not something I've felt compelled to do with Dr Who for a while.
I don't mind the obvious set-up of a series arc mystery - especially as I think there's actually more than one. MYTH, anyone? Plot-wise, it was a little hokey, but far from the worst - the final encounter was gloriously camp, profoundly Dr Who-ish and a loving nod to all who came before Matt Smith.

Second episode was very enjoyable, but mostly for the interaction between the Doctor and Amy. The actual plot of the episode was beyond daft, the mystery ridiculous, the whole set-up was inherantly dreadful, but it established Amy as something way more interesting than most of the Companions we've had before. I loved that last bit. I was just rather disappointed with the lead-up. Still, early days.

Also, Doctor totally looking up Amy's nightie at the start. Totally.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: April 12, 2010, 01:28:51 AM

Episode 2 made no sense whatsoever. You could drive a space whale through the plot holes, the whole premise was stupid. Feeding the kids to the beast even if they know the beast doesn't eat them? And thats just the most bantant one.

I am cautiously optimistic about the new doctor and heart the new companion, but they have to get a grip on storytelling!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: April 12, 2010, 06:04:30 AM

Finally got to see the new doctor, I cant say I hate him, and there was definitely a good energy to him. The new companion, wow, shes fiery, with what seems to be a bit of a condition caused by the doctor.  awesome, for real

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: April 12, 2010, 07:02:48 AM

Geez, did you even watch the episode?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: April 12, 2010, 07:10:13 AM

No shit, Sherlock. Did you figure out these obvious things for yourself? How then could you miss that the DIDN'T get rid of the children though, because they were just running around in the lower decks. Clearly visible to the "command staff" not subjected to memory wipes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: April 12, 2010, 07:24:37 AM

Totally logical that they'd replace CCTV with fairground style boxes with three faces  Completely made sense, and the extension of surveillance was the confusing bit not what the fuck they were or why you'd make something like them. I don't mean to be a dick but while it was all atmospheric and works if you don't stop to think about the details that episode really didn't make any sense. Like did pushing forget also

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: April 12, 2010, 07:39:24 AM

No shit, Sherlock. Did you figure out these obvious things for yourself? How then could you miss that the DIDN'T get rid of the children though, because they were just running around in the lower decks. Clearly visible to the "command staff" not subjected to memory wipes.

Nowhereman apparently had issues with these you jack booted nazi, also please learn to communicate in English if you wish to participate on this forum.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: April 12, 2010, 07:40:33 AM

Gentlemen, no fighting in the war room.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:44 AM

And you don't answer his question.

They were aware that the space whale didn't eat the children, so they didn't get rid of the lesser members of society in that case, they just moved them somewhere else.

Edit: Oh nice stealth edit. Not being able to communicate in English? I'll laugh at that for weeks. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:51:24 AM by Tebonas »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: April 12, 2010, 08:03:22 AM

YOU SEE WHAT MOFFAT HAS DONE ? ? ?

Heartbreak

Gatiss wrote teh Dalek one coming up next though.  Might not be shite.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #312 on: April 12, 2010, 08:18:20 AM

Love is over.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: April 12, 2010, 08:48:05 AM

I didn't have a huge problem with it, I enjoyed the episode it just didn't seem to make any sense afterwards. I can understand why they had things like the smilers and what it was meant to be it just made as much sense as having monitoring devices that looked like ice cream vans. It looks sort of creepy but why would any sane person ever think it made sense as a monitoring device?

Of course if they have something insane like a gold dalek taking orders from a red dalek in the next episode I'll really put a rant together about how awful this whole thing is why so serious?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: April 12, 2010, 09:10:18 AM

It really made no sense if you stopped to think about it, but Dr Who is often like that and it's still fun.

I liked the way that Amy figured out the solution to the problem rather than the Doctor.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: