Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:37:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624330 times)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: January 07, 2010, 01:27:46 PM

And didn't watsisname, you know, Tristan- rummage through other rooms to find something nice to wear?  Or was that the other one?  Paul Merroney? 

Tennant did that. Heh. He found Tom baker's old scarf, that was funny.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #246 on: January 07, 2010, 01:53:19 PM

And didn't someone get lost in the Tardis in one show?  I don't remember which Doctor, though.  Probably one with or after Tom Baker.  I didn't really care much for the show before him.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #247 on: January 07, 2010, 01:57:52 PM

There was one episode during the Baker years where they went through a good portion of the Tardis trying to find someone for something. I think they even spent a few episodes in an older, Pertwee era control room (with the wood paneling that looked like a 1920's cruise ship cabin) because of it.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #248 on: January 07, 2010, 04:19:36 PM

The Master was such a great character last time he was in the show. Hopefully he'll have regenerated again before we see him again, as although John Simm is great, his version of the character has been spoiled for me.

Who was that woman then?

from Gallifrey Base forum:

CONFIRMED: "The Woman" IS "The Doctor's Mother":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

I managed to get an early copy of The Writers Tale 2 today and in the cast list right at the start, it has:
"Claire Boom - the Woman (the Doctor's mother) in Doctor Who 4.17/4.18"

Most of us already knew it of course, but it's really nice to have one of The End Of Time's biggest mysteries cleared up!
There's no proof of course to say that I've got it, but I work for a newspaper who do book reviews, and I was kindly allowed the duplicate copy, which I was thrilled about!
If it's under any kind of embargo, then I do apologise.  

Perhaps I am missed something but how the hell were we supposed to know it was his mother?

*edit* not sure just how reliable this source is.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:54:01 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #249 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:37 PM

Fuck that noise. As far as I'm concerned, it was Romana. Even if RTD himself walks up to me and says, "It was his mum." I'll punch the fucker in the throat.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: January 08, 2010, 12:36:05 AM

I approve of that logic.  Take what comfort you can from shitty, shitty writing by making the thing your own.

Of course, two abstentions, one male, one female, both older.  The symbolism was fairly clear from the start.  However, it's just shite.  Utter, utter, utter shite.  It makes no sense to suddenly pull parents out of the closet, which means it's almost certainly what RTD was trying to do.  ARG.  We owe him SO MUCH for bringing it back and all I want to do is HIT HIM WITH A BIT OF WOOD.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: January 08, 2010, 10:57:37 AM

I'm still convinced it was Wilfred's wife because it makes more sense to me that Donna is the granddaughter of a Time Lord. (Time Lady?)

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #252 on: January 08, 2010, 12:07:01 PM

This thread has inspired me to rewatch the Key of Time story arc on Netflix

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #253 on: January 09, 2010, 01:18:38 PM

Of course it was the Doctor's mother. I don't see how you could think it was anyone else based on the doe-eyed look the Doctor gave when she was mentioned. Are you pissed that he had a mother or that Davies teased us with it and then didn't rub it in our gobs? Yes, it's shite - it was in the End of Time. There was maybe 3 minutes of good writing in End of Time, the rest was as Ironwood said, utter shite.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: January 09, 2010, 02:31:09 PM

Of course it was the Doctor's mother. I don't see how you could think it was anyone else based on the doe-eyed look the Doctor gave when she was mentioned. Are you pissed that he had a mother or that Davies teased us with it and then didn't rub it in our gobs? Yes, it's shite - it was in the End of Time. There was maybe 3 minutes of good writing in End of Time, the rest was as Ironwood said, utter shite.

It's probably something most won't consider as canon (and probably want to forget) but wasn't it revealed in the '96 movie that the Doctor's mother was human making him half human?

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: January 09, 2010, 06:13:49 PM

I think that's one thing they've essentially said was a mistake, you didn't hear it, it was a metaphor or something.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #256 on: January 09, 2010, 08:31:05 PM

Watching the final 'Confidential' has made me hate RTD even more. Fuck.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #257 on: January 10, 2010, 04:17:45 PM

Watching the final 'Confidential' has made me hate RTD even more. Fuck.

really I was going to download it in the hopes that he would explain that shaggy dog of a story. All it did was piss you off though?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: January 10, 2010, 06:23:06 PM

So what was that woman going on about when she said she was "lost for so long" or whatever it was? Romana was lost in E-Space but we've never heard anything about the Doctor's mother being lost anywhere. Ah well, who gives a shit.

I've been watching older episodes recently on iPlayer and there were some great storylines in the earlier seasons.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #259 on: January 10, 2010, 08:30:50 PM

The missus and I just made it through the halfway mark of season one of the new series. She'd never seen the Eccelston episodes (with the exception of Boomtown, and the only reason I showed her that one out of order was so that she could make sense of the shit we saw in Cardiff.) They're definitely better when Davies isn't writing.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: January 10, 2010, 10:33:01 PM

Eccleston was great as the Doctor. We were lucky to get two in a row as good as him and Tennant.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: January 11, 2010, 01:19:37 AM

Oh wow, okay yeah, I just looked up Moffat to see exactly what he's done, and he wrote most of my favorite episodes. Wow. I'm surprised he only wrote five episodes total. His was some good stuff.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:10 AM

Well.

Ok.

Fair enough.

Next ?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: April 03, 2010, 12:06:20 PM

Right.

The problem wasn't the Doctor.

Oddly.  He was okay.  Strangely.

Seriously worried about Moffats ego.

I may just post to this thread all night in a kinda stunned and annoyed way.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: April 03, 2010, 01:59:08 PM

Arrrgh. Must find it somewhere, or else wait another two weeks for BBCAmerica to air it.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #265 on: April 03, 2010, 02:08:58 PM

That was... odd. Matt Smith was better than expected, girl was cute. Plot was thin, preview clips of the season looked awful. And another sweeping story arc, telegraphed blatantly from the first episode. oh joy.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: April 03, 2010, 08:06:19 PM

Holy crap, everywhere I look it's some odd compression that makes it like two or three frames per second and also look like ass.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #267 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:22 PM

It's feelgood pantomime for all ages.

Done quite well, I must admit. But still about "HE'S BEHIND YOU!".

New Doctor needs to gloat less and find his dark side.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:53:13 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: April 04, 2010, 12:28:59 AM

And another sweeping story arc, telegraphed blatantly from the first episode. oh joy.

Yes.  This was clumsy, obvious and, above all, entirely unwelcome.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: April 04, 2010, 06:57:45 AM

I thought it was pretty good overall. The new Doctor is all right after all, loved the "here's all the past Doctors, and now here I am" bit, and Amelia is  Heart faaaaaantastic Heart

I don't mind the Doctor being so smug, but the "oooo something's coming" bit, I agree, was an eye-roller.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: April 04, 2010, 09:26:10 AM

I just finished watching and enjoyed it. The new guy is an acceptable Doctor.

What's the problem with sweeping story arcs? Is this something you guys generally dislike or is it an old-school Doctor Who thing?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: April 04, 2010, 10:43:48 AM

The new doctor got me with the redhead companion and he himself has his own manic energy that is different enough from 10 to not dislike it.

Of course, the overall arch hints were quite heavy handed, and of course there will be new Cybermen and new (british) Daleks, but for now I give it the benefit of the doubt.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #272 on: April 04, 2010, 11:43:12 AM

I liked it. But I do agree the anvils were falling like rain.

There was a better way of handling that.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #273 on: April 05, 2010, 05:31:01 AM

I hate you all... I have to wait till BBCAmerica starts it up since I am not allowed to watch it without the gf considering she got me into it. So this doctor, did they resurrect the scarf yet?  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: April 05, 2010, 05:32:55 AM

Yeah, thats pissing me off too, I can't find any legal way to watch this.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: April 05, 2010, 06:01:13 AM

I've already paid for it with my licence fee.

You have my permission.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #276 on: April 05, 2010, 06:07:03 AM

I loved it, faults and all. Probably partly due to withdrawl, that I was able to look past any problems.

Now if they had only found a way to have her

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: April 05, 2010, 07:59:07 AM

Yes plz.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: April 05, 2010, 09:53:51 AM

Playing along with the foreshadowing (I agree it was clumsy), what was he doing at the end with that equipment in the Tardis? It looked to me like he was maybe taking her voiceprint, as he waited for her to say something close to it before fiddling with it.

I like Amy as a character. She's a lot like Rose in that she has a useless boyfriend and seems to fancy the Doctor (although Mickey became a great character over time), but I'm guessing Amy is going to be more than Rose mk. 2.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59:21 AM

I just finished watching and enjoyed it. The new guy is an acceptable Doctor.

What's the problem with sweeping story arcs? Is this something you guys generally dislike or is it an old-school Doctor Who thing?

The thing with the arcs is that they often involve characters in the early episodes who seem mysteriously to know what's going to happen later and drop cryptic hints, to which the Doctor looks worried, and then whatever they've been talking about eventually happens. It just seems clumsy sometimes.

I enjoyed the arc in season three (the Martha season) because it was a bit more subtle and you could see with hindsight how the events in the various episodes fitted together.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: