Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624395 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: January 05, 2010, 03:47:59 AM

It's Lucas syndrome all over again.  Don't get me wrong;  massive kudos to the chap for bringing it back and so very, very successfully -  but he never learned to let go and he never learned to take advice that what he was writing was just awful.

Moffat did some of the better episodes, so it's kind of good that he's taken over, but he's also another MASSIVE ego, so I'm hoping he doesn't fall into the same trap.

Girl in the Fireplace and Blink are STILL the best Who episodes of the 'New' lot.  If I had to pick an Eccelstone one, it'd probably be Dalek, but only for the passion that our boy Chris put into the performance.

And the Dalek sucking the face off someone.  That was awesome.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: January 05, 2010, 06:40:29 AM

I'm confused about the part where the Time Lords send the 4-drum-beat to The Master when he was a child.

- Is that what made him evil / insane over the whole course of Dr. Who, or just made him 'extra'  evil / insane?

- If the drum beat signal is what made him insane, and he would have been a normal upstanding Time Lord otherwise,  then how would the Time Lords know to send him the signal, since he would not have been 'involved' with The Doctor the whole time?   

The seer detected The Master and The Doctor still out there, and they got the idea to send the signal, so at that moment in time, the Master did not yet get the signal - SO HE WOULD NOT BE THE MASTER!    Time Paradox!    Unless of course he was still the Master, still evil / insane, and the drum beats made him 'extra insane'.

BUT at the end, he blames the Time Lords making him insane via the drum beats, which contradicts that.

Dr Who series, new and old, have been pretty careful with time paradoxes, either using an alternate universe, or a rewind, or a universe corrects itself, so this seems odd to me.

No one appears to be talking about this anywhere, so I must be missing something?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: January 05, 2010, 06:42:11 AM

You're missing a vital and important point;  It's total fucking wanking hackery writing of the highest sort.

I mean, come on to fuck.  The old women with the eyes could PROJECT herself to SPEAK to fucking WILF.

So what the FUCK was the NEED for a TEMPORAL FUCKING SIGNAL Huh

IT'S UTTER SHITE.  FROM START TO FINISH.  FORGET IT HAPPENED.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #213 on: January 05, 2010, 06:48:06 AM

I liked Gwen but, on the whole, I didn't find too much to like about Torchwood.  I just thought maybe there was some sort of strange new Welshery going on that upset people.  I might have defended Gwen in comparison to other Dr Who/Torchwood actors but I'm pretty sure it couldn't have anything to do with her Welshiness.  I probably defended her teeth, mostly.  I like the gap. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: January 05, 2010, 06:50:57 AM

I liked Gwen but, on the whole, I didn't find too much to like about Torchwood.  I just thought maybe there was some sort of strange new Welshery going on that upset people.  I might have defended Gwen in comparison to other Dr Who/Torchwood actors but I'm pretty sure it couldn't have anything to do with her Welshiness.  I probably defended her teeth, mostly.  I like the gap. 

My problem with Torchwood is they were the worst secret organization dedicated to solving shit ever.

The entire first season is them failing and failing over and over, while having sex.

You just sit there screaming, "WHY DO THESE RETARDS HAVE ALL THIS COOL SHIT!  STOP HAVING SEX!"
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: January 05, 2010, 07:00:34 AM

But they're gay! What else are they meant to be doing? Ohhhhh, I see. Also the Time Lords/Master thing makes no logical sense because they never explain what the fuck something being 'time locked' means, aside from the fact that an old woman with good intentions manages to do more than fucking 'in charge of black holes and reality leaks' Rassilon himself can do. They seemed to be operating in the present (although Time Lord time has always worked in a fairly odd way in relation to wherever else the Doctor is operating.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: January 05, 2010, 07:33:21 AM

If you want, when I get home, we can actually discuss this rationally and talk about how 'stuff works' in Dr Who.

But you have to be aware that it'll merely present you with a view that totally contradicts that two parter pile of keech.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: January 05, 2010, 07:34:42 AM

You know what the 4 beat drum beat is don't you? It's not just the heart beat of a Time Lord. It's the bass beat to the original theme. I thought that was pretty neat once it dawned on me.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: January 05, 2010, 07:42:32 AM

If you want, when I get home, we can actually discuss this rationally and talk about how 'stuff works' in Dr Who.

But you have to be aware that it'll merely present you with a view that totally contradicts that two parter pile of keech.

That's obviously because the whole Time War was Time Locked with the Time Lords trapped by some form of Time Key no doubt and thus it all makes perfect sense and doesn't contradict anything swamp poop I know explanations largely rely on an inability to cross one's own timeline (except for rare exceptions made by the Time Lords). This time RTD basically seemed to use the time lock as element handwavium that makes all of this possible.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #219 on: January 05, 2010, 07:45:11 AM

Time-locked basically means that the whole of the war was locked in a bubble that couldn't be breached from without or within. Those events and those places were sort of sealed up in a pocket universe where no one could get in or out.

As for RTD wankery, of fucking course it was, it was the end of Tennant's run as the Doctor. RTD felt he had to go out by foiling someone as legendarily evil as Rassilon. The Master alone wasn't enough. Someone else here said it, it had to be Epic.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: January 05, 2010, 08:11:08 AM

It had a chance to be Epic but it ended up being wankery spankery faily waily.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #221 on: January 05, 2010, 08:11:17 AM

I have to admit, the pictures on the previous page just induced a moment of mouth hanging openess for me. I'd purposly avoided looking for pictures of the new companion up until now, just wanting to be suprised.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #222 on: January 05, 2010, 08:16:12 AM

Oh, no doubt. Compared to Billie Piper, I'd hit that like the fist of an angry timelord.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #223 on: January 05, 2010, 09:17:31 AM

Oh, no doubt. Compared to Billie Piper, I'd hit that like the fist of an angry timelord.

Soulja Boy Rassilon that ho?

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:09 AM

LMAOx10!

Regarding the wankery, I thought people were talking about the angst, which is the real meat of the character for me. But some of that big splosion crap is okay too. Not all of it though. I'm glad I don't know who Rassilon was in previous series, otherwise I'm sure I'd be pissed right now! I don't even remember him being referred to as Rassilon. It was just The President. Don't tell me who Rassilon was! I'm happy in my ignorance! (Okay, I'll look it up later.)

Was that glove of his the matching pair of the Ressurection Gauntlet from Torchwood?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #225 on: January 05, 2010, 09:26:22 AM

Negative, the second of those gauntlets was used to resurrect Owen.

Soulja Boy Rassilon that ho?

Indeed. But only after I knocked four times.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:47:23 AM by Surlyboi »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: January 05, 2010, 10:55:40 AM

Would seem that all the pics are coming out of the woodwork now...

Low quality, of course, but it does give one....ideas.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #227 on: January 05, 2010, 11:02:42 AM

Would seem that all the pics are coming out of the woodwork now...

Low quality, of course, but it does give one....ideas.

Stop god damn you...   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: January 05, 2010, 11:02:51 AM

Ok, so, I just watched the 'new' season trailer for the first time.

Hmmm.

There would seem to be a lot to like in there.  He doesn't look as bad 'in motion' as stills would make out and the assistant has a real 'Polly' vibe going on.

Also, Skaro.  Clearly.  Or Old 'new' Daleks at least.  Plus, what looked like Sea Devils.

Hmmm.

Dammit.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: January 05, 2010, 11:10:35 AM

I get the feeling that he was so young that the costume designer decided the 'Old Professor' look was needed.
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: January 05, 2010, 11:12:17 AM

I figure the trailer should be represented... albeit youtube'd.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #231 on: January 05, 2010, 12:15:43 PM

Well, the trailer looks like fun.  Sometimes all the best bits are on the trailer.  Let's hope that's not the case will this.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: January 05, 2010, 12:18:12 PM

Soo I wonder what the Tardis is gonna look on the inside.  I wonder if they are gonna revamp it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:31 PM

Apparently so.

Which is why, I think, you see him working on the underside in the trailer.

It did get bashed to fuck in the last one.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: January 05, 2010, 12:49:16 PM

I figured when they had the whole regeneration part trash the Tardis.  I don't really think they needed to, but I'm sure it's all part of the "New Who".
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: January 05, 2010, 01:37:56 PM

Have to have a new "modern retro" TARDIS that the kids can get behind  why so serious?

But seriously... Dr Who v11.0?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: January 05, 2010, 02:10:35 PM

Have to have a new "modern retro" TARDIS that the kids can get behind  why so serious?

But seriously... Dr Who v11.0?

Well aren't they calling this Season 1 again, or something like that.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: January 05, 2010, 05:38:23 PM

I'd be happy with a Tardis redesign. I've been annoyed that it was only *slightly* bigger on the inside in the new series. The old series made it out that it was HUGE inside. And I really didn't like the organic feel to it. I hope they change the desktop theme from the current coral motiff.  ;)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: January 06, 2010, 04:33:54 AM

That's the second time you've said something daft.

The new control room is probably twice the size of any of the previous seasons.  You realise you're just seeing the control room, right ?  Some of the episodes took you to the other rooms.

Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: January 06, 2010, 05:56:40 AM

There was a whole Tom Baker era series spent in the Tardis, going down like 20 floors or something.   

I think another series he had to jettison a whole block of it.

I need to look up and buy those episodes on DVD.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #240 on: January 06, 2010, 06:54:06 AM

And didn't watsisname, you know, Tristan- rummage through other rooms to find something nice to wear?  Or was that the other one?  Paul Merroney? 

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: January 06, 2010, 02:20:52 PM

Was that glove of his the matching pair of the Ressurection Gauntlet from Torchwood?

Rassilon was the first Time Lord to master the power source that lets Time Lords travel through time, basically he's the guy recorded as leading them from being Gallifreyans to being Time Lords. Also meant to be a long time dead, he's been portrayed as a great hero and a crazed despot (though not actually in the series, only as part of the related history) The Lord President was the name of the office of the leader of the Time Lords, Tom Baker Dr. was Lord President at one point. The glove he was holding is probably the glove of Rassilon, the staff is probably the staff of Rassilon and if he has a sash on it's the staff of Rassilon. The Time Lords named a lot of shit after him and then kept it around.

The new Dr.'s look is (according an interview I read) because they want to focus on the character as being at once young and old. I'm thinking they're going to take Tennant's moment with Wilf at the end and expand on that as the direction for the new Dr.'s character.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #242 on: January 06, 2010, 03:26:43 PM

There was a whole Tom Baker era series spent in the Tardis, going down like 20 floors or something.   

I think another series he had to jettison a whole block of it.

I need to look up and buy those episodes on DVD.

I think it was in a Pertwee episode that they actually showed the original Hartnell (Doctor 1) era control room, and Pertwee said something like "oh yes, this old thing, I didn't care much for it so I made a new one).  Hmm the is a bit of a non-sequitor, but the point being that the inside of the tardis is immense. I enjoyed those old episodes that revealed parts of the tardis beyond the simple control room.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #243 on: January 07, 2010, 08:13:25 AM

I'm looking forward to his companion (who I imagine he'll pick up 1st or 2nd episode) since she's a total biscuit.  It'll be nice to have a total biscuit again.

Of whom Steven Moffat says:

We saw some amazing actresses for this part. But when Karen came through the door, the game was up - she was funny, clever, gorgeous and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it."

So true.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: January 07, 2010, 11:36:20 AM

That's the second time you've said something daft.

The new control room is probably twice the size of any of the previous seasons.  You realise you're just seeing the control room, right ?  Some of the episodes took you to the other rooms.

Only the second? I'm going to have to try harder. (not sure what the first one was).

I honestly don't remember any of the other rooms being shown. I just remember that the older series usually showed more of the inside than the new ones do.  Watching it here in America hasn't been kind in the way of continuity. Syfy had it a while ago and then I just started catching up again on BBC America (just got that). There's a lot of the new series that I've either forgotten or missed due to the programming schedule over here. And me being daft as well.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: