Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624417 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: January 01, 2010, 01:40:40 PM

Bearing in mind the complete train-wreck part one was, the fact we got anything even remotely coherent in part two was a bonus, LoTR ending notwithstanding.
And hey! RTD and Murray Gold have now officially, finally fucked off!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: January 01, 2010, 03:15:46 PM

The Master was such a great character last time he was in the show. Hopefully he'll have regenerated again before we see him again, as although John Simm is great, his version of the character has been spoiled for me.

Who was that woman then?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: January 01, 2010, 03:40:35 PM

Take your pick from:
Romana
Susan
Another female relative of the Doctor (wife, or mother, or sister, or whatever).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: January 01, 2010, 10:07:06 PM

Woo spoilers...

I'll give the new kid a chance. But anyone seen the trailer? Yeesh.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: January 01, 2010, 10:09:27 PM

Take your pick from:
Romana
Susan
Another female relative of the Doctor (wife, or mother, or sister, or whatever).

What woman? The booksigning girl? Cause that confused me. Or the aid with the hands over her eyes? Wasn't that

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 01, 2010, 10:26:17 PM

Take your pick from:
Romana
Susan

When she dropped her hands and we got a look at her the first thing I thought was that it's Donna.

Timey Wimey.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: January 01, 2010, 11:36:25 PM

Book Signing Girl

Shit, if she was in it, they should have had Madame de Pompadour too.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: January 02, 2010, 04:18:23 AM

No.  You can't have Pompadour or Sally Sparrow, because that would just remind the audience of the GOOD episodes, rather than this sad old pile of utter fuckshite.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: January 02, 2010, 11:35:35 AM

I don't feel the love for the new Doctor yet. His introduction was like a bad parody of 10s introduction. And I mean both the written text and how it was played.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #184 on: January 02, 2010, 06:58:22 PM

Meh. We'll see if they can regenerate any enthusiasm with the next season.

I didn't see the preview for the next bit, but a newly regenerated Doctor stranded on Earth with a busticated Tardis has been done.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #185 on: January 02, 2010, 08:05:01 PM

I saw the preview. He uses a gun and he punches people and his catch phrase is "Geronimo" instead of Allons-y.

I'll wait and see on this one, but my hopes aren't very high.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:22:41 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #186 on: January 03, 2010, 06:45:31 AM

As my gf was saying throughout the "reflection/revisitation" part of the finale... wtf?! I figure it was because Tennant was so well received and had such a long run, but seriously, when has a doctor got to die slowly and go back to see all his former companions?

My thoughts:

New doctor has a huge forehead - aside from that, he seemed to (from the brief intro) capture the quirkiness - to be determined later
Martha and "Ricky" married . . . meh, did not like either of these characters so having them together is double the blah
Capt Jack - is this the beginning threads of a new Torchwood? - also the bar with all the past aliens from the series was  DRILLING AND MANLINESS felt very much felt like Mos Eisley in a way
Rose - given her "alter" in another continuum, I can justify seeing her retrospective of meeting the doctor, but she had a huge run and this felt fizzled/flat. And man did Billie look different
Verity Newman - no opinion other than a wtf? I guess that episode/s were bigger than I thought

I would have liked a tie in with his daughter and River Song

edit: to add links
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:49:17 AM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: January 03, 2010, 08:10:35 PM

As my gf was saying throughout the "reflection/revisitation" part of the finale... wtf?! I figure it was because Tennant was so well received and had such a long run, but seriously, when has a doctor got to die slowly and go back to see all his former companions?

Yeah the whole regeneration was covered in like 5-10mins with Eccleston. Considering its now in his 9th regeneration how is a three to four year stint more meaningful then the previous (ie the lines about how old "he" was).  There was a big focus on the end of the doctors life, but if he was obviously able to regenerate why the big worry. RTD seemed to have the episode(s) plot flirting with killing the doctor off but a viewer knew it was going to be a regeneration due to the whole hoopla of the new doctor.

It was total drivel.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: January 03, 2010, 08:19:03 PM

Because its more along the lines of cloning in The Prestige and not regenerating a damaged limb. And for whatever reason this incarnation was more attached to his person including a long time to reflect about the death. I am really not feeling the new guy all haterism aside.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: January 03, 2010, 09:17:52 PM

Since he doesn't currently have a Companion I think it's going to be a little harder to figure what the new doctor is all about. After the last regeneration we could see how his relationship with Rose changed to get a better idea of his style - plus he had more incentive to imitate the old doctor in his personality so as not to freak her out even more than she already was.

The new doctor is going to have a lot more freedom to be different this time around.

edit: snakes!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:37:41 AM by Reg »
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: January 03, 2010, 10:47:55 PM

Well, I must say I was a little underwhelmed by the final episode. It struck me that there seemed to be a lot that was cut out that may be added later in a DVD release. I got the same feeling with the third Lord of the Rings film and Watchmen. Especially the whole final confrontation scene.

That said, I liked the ending bits.  Definitely the most dramatic regen ever.

And if ever there was a question as to whether my daughter was my biological offspring, it was answered Saturday night. She positively bawled as much as I did back in '84 when I saw Tom Baker pass on the controls to Peter Davidson. Tennant was pretty much the only Doctor she'd ever known and she was heart broken. I think I even saw the wife shed a tear or three. Won't lie. I did too.

Am looking forward to the new Doctor though. His initial presence suggests a bit of a Douglas Adams touch to the character. Bit over the top but I liked it. His still photos didn't do him justice.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: January 04, 2010, 01:42:22 AM

You did hear the name.  If you'd listened carefully, you'll also have heard me throwing something at the screen.

It wasn't Rassilon.  All I can think of is that they used the name as a title later on, or some such other UTTER WANK.  No doubt RTD will explain it all eventually while doing cocaine and grapes of a wee fit 21 year old boys arse.

Sigh.

Just forget it.  It was wank of the highest order.  I thought the last two Dalek endings were bad.  This was utterly atrocious.

As to the new Doc, he reminded me of Pertwee already, despite just being handed RTD's regeneration lines to bleat out like some kind of sheep of Tenant and Eccleston.  I think he'll do fine with a good writer.  I'm looking forward to his companion (who I imagine he'll pick up 1st or 2nd episode) since she's a total biscuit.  It'll be nice to have a total biscuit again.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: January 04, 2010, 02:38:25 AM

I am on the fence regarding the 11th doctor, but I approve of his choice in companions.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: January 04, 2010, 07:46:23 AM

On Timothy Dalton
The whole thing was big but lots of felt really like they were throwing in stuff that sounded big and visually impressive but just came off looking silly, out of place and really not Who. I also kind of liked the new Doctor though as others have said we really haven't had a chance to see him yet. He used a gun in that trailer but we've no idea what he was shooting, could be a warning shot or a piece of equipment. I have enough faith that they won't completely fuck the character like that. New companion is just my type, no complaints there. Also Weeping Angels ACK!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: January 04, 2010, 08:26:42 AM

Meh. Now that it's revealed the Time Lords are locked in the Time War, they can (and probably will) bring them back all the time.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: January 04, 2010, 09:47:11 AM

[quote author=Ironwood link=topic=14493.msg750677#msg750677  I'm looking forward to his companion (who I imagine he'll pick up 1st or 2nd episode) since she's a total biscuit.  It'll be nice to have a total biscuit again.
[/quote]

I agree.  We've had enough of Welsh, old, and kind-of-pretty-in-a-London-sort-of-way (Rose).  Martha was the only hot one, and she was the companion the Doctor liked the least.  I was afraid they were going to bring in that horrible horrible gap-toothed woman from Torchwood.

And is it true that

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #196 on: January 04, 2010, 11:23:58 AM

What does it mean "we've had enough of Welsh"?  I'm not advocating more Welsh, or anything, just wondering if that means anything in particular.   

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: January 04, 2010, 11:42:48 AM

He might remember you accusing me of hating the Welsh after I commented about that horrible gap toothed woman in Torchwood.  After that, I thought you had a thing about the Welsh so I went out of my way to mention them in a negative way once in a while. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Besides, they all have silly names like Rhys and Daffyd. We don't need any more of that.
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: January 04, 2010, 12:15:59 PM

He might remember you accusing me of hating the Welsh after I commented about that horrible gap toothed woman in Torchwood.  After that, I thought you had a thing about the Welsh so I went out of my way to mention them in a negative way once in a while. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Besides, they all have silly names like Rhys and Daffyd. We don't need any more of that.

I'm sorry, Signe's avatar was distracting me... you were saying?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #199 on: January 04, 2010, 01:10:54 PM

You fuckers need to stop bagging on Gwen from Torchwood. I liked her.

But End of Time, YECH. What the fuck?

The whole Doctor visits his companions send off was definite wankery. We already had the RD farewell tour in the finale episode of the Donna season. We didn't need it again. Nice to see Capt. Jack try to hookup with the werewolf from Being Human (I wonder if he'll be a character on Torchwood next season) and I liked Mickey and Martha together. But we didn't need all that. This could have easily been an hour long show without the padding and would have been better, though still not good. I like the trailer for the new season, and have no real complaints about the new Doctor and especially not about the new hottie.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: January 04, 2010, 03:18:37 PM

Rose was pretty, Martha was definitely the hottest, but I'd totally fuck Gwen over all the rest because she seems like a freaky spanky hair puller. If you don't like Gwen you're clearly afraid of girls.

That was the werewolf from Being Human? Nice! I need to watch that show more.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: January 04, 2010, 03:36:36 PM

I didn't mind Jack's resolution

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: January 04, 2010, 04:56:38 PM

What do people mean by "RTD wankery?" Just wondering.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: January 04, 2010, 04:58:49 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: January 04, 2010, 05:18:37 PM

Rose was pretty, Martha was definitely the hottest, but I'd totally fuck Gwen over all the rest because she seems like a freaky spanky hair puller. If you don't like Gwen you're clearly afraid of girls.

Gentlemen... shortly no one will remember any of those "others." Let us focus on the future and not on the past.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #205 on: January 05, 2010, 12:11:32 AM

Gentlemen... shortly no one will remember any of those "others." Let us focus on the future and not on the past.

I was hoping for Sally Sparrow especially given that we will see the angels from Blink again.  Just finished watching part two.... and I think we can safely say we will see the master yet again /sigh.  As pretty much everyone else here has said... they threw way too much crap into those two episodes.  That said... it is what it is... hopefully Matt Smith can pick up the ball and run with it.

Also maybe it is just that photo but that ginger looks like pedo bear material to me.  She looks about 16 to 17 to my eyes.  Again I was really hoping for a Sally Sparrow re-up

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: January 05, 2010, 01:06:56 AM

Sixteen is legal over here.

Just Sayin'.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: January 05, 2010, 01:13:12 AM

Also maybe it is just that photo but that ginger looks like pedo bear material to me.  She looks about 16 to 17 to my eyes.  Again I was really hoping for a Sally Sparrow re-up

Nope she's 21-22 years old.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: January 05, 2010, 01:19:50 AM

ACK!

awesome, for real

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: January 05, 2010, 03:42:09 AM

What do people mean by "RTD wankery?" Just wondering.

Russell T Davies is the guy behind bringin the Doctor back and really managed to make it a success again. The wankery refers to his habit of doing ridiculous, grandiose things (like the massive overblown finales) or generally taking a lot of control over Doctor Who lore stuff. He's done new things like evolving the Daleks and throwing Rassilon in this that don't really fit with established lore, basically going, "I saved the Doctor and so I can change it however I like." Those moments also tend to involve the worse writing, which really doesn't help him.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: