Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624365 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2170 on: June 09, 2017, 05:35:07 AM

Rumoured to be going, BBC solidly stood behind her by.... well, saying 'Wait and See !!!'

Which means she gets buttfucked by Moffat right at the end when she wakes up and the Doctor was all a dream and Bobby is in the shower.

Seriously, fuck this asshole.

Have a link.

Or Bill is actually the next Doctor and the time travelling goo from the first episode that recognized her was actually Tardis fuel

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2171 on: June 09, 2017, 05:59:31 AM

Oh for Fucks Sake.

awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2172 on: June 09, 2017, 06:30:37 AM

Oh for Fucks Sake.

awesome, for real

Its a completely stupid theory but....can you put it past Moffat?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2173 on: June 09, 2017, 07:01:38 AM

NO.  I can't.

That's why the ffs.  It ain't pointed at you.  Right now you can't rule out ANYTHING retarded, up to and including the Doctor Regenerating into The Master.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2174 on: June 09, 2017, 07:09:52 AM

I though Moffet was leaving after this season?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2175 on: June 09, 2017, 07:13:42 AM

The Valeyard

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2176 on: June 09, 2017, 06:59:54 PM

Rumoured to be going, BBC solidly stood behind her by.... well, saying 'Wait and See !!!'

Which means she gets buttfucked by Moffat right at the end when she wakes up and the Doctor was all a dream and Bobby is in the shower.

Seriously, fuck this asshole.

Have a link.

WTF, Bill's been a fantastic companion so far.

I mean if she's leaving for her own reasons, that's just how it goes with actors, but if it's a show decision it's retarded.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2177 on: June 10, 2017, 07:35:09 PM

That Martian episode was astonishingly shit. If Gatiss never does another episode post-Moffatt, I think that will be a mercy. It was so shit it made the previous Monk three-parter seem great by comparison.

Fuck, this season really was going gloriously well for all of five episodes, until boom, shit and more shit.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2178 on: June 11, 2017, 12:37:43 AM

Gatiss has a real fucking problem ;  Spitfires in Space and Zulu on Mars.  He loves juxtaposing the absurd and no-one tells him to fucking stop. 

That said, the call back at the end was at least welcome.  Shame everything before it ... wasn't great.

Also, why did you change the Ice Warrior Claws ?  WHY ?  In the previous bringing them back, you kept the claws but now you don't ?  WHY ?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2179 on: June 11, 2017, 04:12:20 AM

The call back to the Curse of Peladon was clever, yes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2180 on: June 25, 2017, 11:28:04 AM

"I'm Doctor Who and this are my disposables Exposition and Comic Relief" lines like that make up for a whole lot of crap.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2181 on: June 25, 2017, 01:07:24 PM

Which was fortunate because there was a fuckload of it.  Fuck that egotistical arsehole.  Stop bringing your twitter fights into your scripts, you cunt.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2182 on: June 25, 2017, 06:03:21 PM

Twitter fight?

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2183 on: June 26, 2017, 04:10:13 AM

Basically the entire 'Doctor Who' scene at the start is his twitter fight writ large.

At one point he decided that putting 'Doctor Who' in as a phrase to the show that had since eschewed it as being 'tacky' was something he wanted to do.  He got ... a little pushback.  You may have noticed since then he puts it in as frequently as he can (phrasing) and every time he does it's utterly lame.  I thought the worst one was the screaming blue head, but he managed to top that now.

Having an argument between Missy and Bill about 'Doctor Who' is him attempting to be a total wankbag about it, casting Bill as his critics and Missy as him.  I was cringing the entire time.  And while 'Exposition and Comic Relief' was actually a good line, it just shows the contempt that he has for the whole thing.  It's always about how clever he thinks he can be with 'The Formula', not realising that he's pretty much managed to fuck up The Formula with his constant ball-showing.

Hardly surprising, then, that this has turned into another 'Dear God, Please Stop Writing Moffat' rant, since he's a huge egotistical wank that can't even write terribly well or originally and I fucking hate him.  This season has been actually ok until he starts with his shit.  There are 3 episodes that are rendered unwatchable due to his wank and I had high hopes for this two parter, but his ego just shines through and really sours it for me.

He has a stellar cast and an excellent premise for this season and I'm seriously worried that Saturday is going to come and I'm just going to be sitting here with an enormous sigh at the end.  The actual story itself could work - clever black hole science (though again ripped off and obvious to us), a returning enemy that is not only scary, but can mine a lot of old timey good feeling, not one but two Masters, both of whom can act when they're allowed, a companion we actually give a shit about and a Doctor that's only slightly weary of the role.  (Which is noticeable - you can tell Capaldi is weary of being given the same lines, especially since he's actually genuinely repeating things from the Master/Clara/Dalek episode that was also meant to be good, but vanished into a pile of Moffat.  Indeed, one could very easily argue this is the same story...)

Maybe it's just me.  I do hope so.  I truly hope that everyone in the world bar me enjoys it all mightily and loves it.  What's not a good sign is when my daughter turns to me after the Monk two parter and says 'That was Total Moffat, wasn't it Dad ?'

Who says you can't teach your young'uns to swear ?

Anyway, this is why I tried to stop posting to this thread.  Same complaints, same issues, boring as fuck to write and, I'm sure, to read.

(Also, Chibnall wrote that Moon Story, so I think I'm just fucked for a good long while...)

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2184 on: June 26, 2017, 08:28:29 AM

Actually, I quite like your rants about Moffat, not only because they are right, but they are dripping with utter Scottish-ness.  why so serious?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2185 on: June 26, 2017, 09:58:06 AM

I don't even watch this show anymore and I like reading them :D

Hic sunt dracones.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2186 on: June 26, 2017, 04:37:39 PM

I gave up seasons ago, but still read the thread for the Ironwoodness.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2187 on: July 01, 2017, 12:22:54 PM

He has a stellar cast and an excellent premise for this season and I'm seriously worried that Saturday is going to come and I'm just going to be sitting here with an enormous sigh at the end. 

Sigh.

What a bunch of shite.  Even the Greeks, originally writing the very first Deus Ex Machina would have turned to each other and said 'Do you think it's a little too Moffat ?'

Fuck this cunt.  Fuck it all.  Don't even fucking watch this one chaps, it's brain cancer.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2188 on: July 01, 2017, 07:32:02 PM

I didn't like the specific deus ex Moffat used with Bill, but I did think there were some good scenes/character work. There's also an interesting arc with Capaldi's version that gets pretty well capped off in a good way.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2189 on: July 02, 2017, 06:10:42 AM

The only thing that gives me hope after the last episode is the fact that Moffat is leaving.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2190 on: July 02, 2017, 09:26:33 AM

I wish the incoming person was someone with a really different sensibility, though. Chibnall's work on Broadchurch is really uneven, though I think he's got a better sensibility on gender than Moffat.

Still, the worst thing about Moffat is simply the contrained range of his repeated tropes. By comparison, RTD's obsessions with hateful plutocratic greedbags and so on are minor hang-ups. Moffat's such a one-trick pony with some of this stuff that by the time you've seen too many of his episodes and his general management of the show, it actually starts to spoil even some of his genuinely good scripts because they feel retroactively stale and repetitive. So *anyone* else except maybe Zombie John-Nathan Turner would be an improvement.

What I hope for in a new showrunner is:

a) Some new ideas about companions. Have an alien in the Tardis. Have some older people. Have some people from times and places other than 21st Century England. Don't insist on giving them a season-long arc. Never have them fall in love with the Doctor. Work on some new ideas for relationships with the Doctor--rival? person who needs healing? person with a singular quest? someone like Ace or Leela who is prone to violence? straight-up comic relief? etc.

b) Capaldi's Doctor was a good step-back from The Oncoming Storm and all that--the "idiot with a box", the man who just wants to help out if he can, the judgmental eccentric--those are good. Build on those. But maybe give the Doctor some new problem or challenge to think through. Some character-rooted problem.

c) Give him some new kind of antagonists. Moffat had some interesting ideas occasionally that he was incapable of really developing in smart ways. A religious crusade would be interesting. Maybe some polyglot alien civilization that are Time Lord groupies who are trying to recreate Gallifrey's technology where the Doctor has to wrestle with whether he has the right to interfere. I dunno. Just some new thinking about enemies.

d) Some better world-building. Always one of the weaknesses of this show--so maybe it's time to address it.

e) Let the Doctor be righteous, now and again. I've really come to hate the idea that the Doctor has to feel guilt even if he's trying to stop genocidal maniacs from killing billions of sapients.

f) Just better scripts overall. Showrunner should stop writing scripts for the most part.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2191 on: July 02, 2017, 10:28:17 PM

I knew they were gonna pull some bullshit out from the first ep and what bullshit it was! Seriously, the companion becomes immortal and goes off on a space/time adventure with her new girlfriend? That's literally the same ending as last season.  I think at this point they are doing their best to sabatoge their own show.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2192 on: July 03, 2017, 03:32:21 AM

It's not "they". It's the head honcho.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2193 on: July 03, 2017, 03:57:17 AM

Word.

Also, this Cyberman Episode with Bill was the exact same as the Dalek Episode with Clara.

I mean, literally, beat for beat with Capaldi and Missy there too.  It's amazing how many fucks that lazy arsehole just does not give.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2194 on: July 03, 2017, 04:13:45 AM

Yeah, he's just damn lazy. He really should be a guy producing scripts for a boss who demands his best work and who is willing to slap him down hard when he reuses the same shit. He's actually got a good ear for snappy, fun dialogue; some of his ideas about character arcs aren't terrible. He's not a completely worthless scumbag hack like John-Nathan Turner. But he shouldn't be in charge, because it lets him indulge his worst tendencies.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2195 on: July 03, 2017, 04:38:14 AM

I don't disagree.  Indeed, part of my huge problem with all this is that Blink is still one of my very favourite episodes.  And, despite now having some quite wearying repetition since, Girl In The Fireplace is also enormously good.

But he got put in charge and he's the type of Ego that should not be in charge.  It allows his worst traits to shine through.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2196 on: July 03, 2017, 12:27:15 PM

That whole thing was Moffatt wishing he hadn't wasted his good ideas on shitty actors.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2197 on: July 03, 2017, 01:23:24 PM

Which shitty actors?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2198 on: July 03, 2017, 01:53:57 PM

The previous ones whos names im having a hard time remembering.

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2199 on: July 03, 2017, 03:30:28 PM

The one thing that pisses me off, to the point where i am unsure if ill keep watching the show is that Capaldi got wasted on Moffats term.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2200 on: July 04, 2017, 12:25:55 AM

As did Matt Smith.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2201 on: July 04, 2017, 09:08:15 AM

It's a credit to both actors that they still managed to establish really strong 'versions' of the character in spite of rather than because of the scripts.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2202 on: July 16, 2017, 08:28:49 AM

Holy Crap.

A woman.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2203 on: July 16, 2017, 09:07:28 AM

Yeah the wife just read me that story. That will be interesting and I'm looking forward to it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2204 on: July 16, 2017, 09:39:04 AM

They telegraphed woman hard in the last episode but im fine with it and its hilarious to see all the nuwho ladies jumping ship now that theres no one to swoon over.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: