Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:48:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624531 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2135 on: January 30, 2017, 05:50:28 PM

Dammit. Me too. Best casting, best interpretation of dodgy scripts. Him and Sylvester McCoy go down as martyrs to bad showrunning.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2136 on: January 30, 2017, 06:56:23 PM

Thirded. I haven't even watched the Christmas Special because Moffat. Capaldi did great with really bad material just like Matt Smith.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2137 on: January 30, 2017, 07:29:08 PM

Capaldi has announced he's leaving at the end of the year. This is a shame as I'd have liked to have seen him post Moffat.

So is this his 2nd or 3rd season?

Anyways, sometimes I wonder if it's just time to end it.  I  love the series, but it seems like they are running out of fresh ideas for scripts.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2138 on: January 30, 2017, 07:56:24 PM

He'll do the coming season, so that's 3 for him. Just feels like less because of the mixed quality. Even Smith got better Moffat development, I think.

I think if you can't keep finding new things to do with a time travelling alien who reincarnates regularly and has a deep and pretty interesting mythos, you're not trying very hard.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2139 on: January 31, 2017, 02:44:42 AM

Thirded. I haven't even watched the Christmas Special because Moffat. Capaldi did great with really bad material just like Matt Smith.

It was actually ok.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2140 on: April 06, 2017, 04:55:06 PM

I have to admit that a multi-Master episode seems like an idea a long time coming. I hope they don't fuck it up.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2141 on: April 07, 2017, 12:06:02 PM

Hmm ?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2142 on: April 10, 2017, 06:05:44 PM

Michelle Gomez and John Simm are both appearing as the Master this season, in the same episode.

If they'd just cast someone who looks like Anthony Ainsley or Roger Delgado, I'd be really sold on that even if it wasn't a particularly great episode otherwise.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2143 on: April 10, 2017, 07:36:16 PM

Michelle Gomez and John Simm are both appearing as the Master this season, in the same episode.

I'm going to hazard a guess that we'll see the Master tiptoeing across his own timeline for 2 episodes. Yay.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2144 on: April 11, 2017, 06:04:15 AM

Yeah. It's a natural idea, though weirdly enough this is the first time they really could have done it--Delgado was long dead when Ainsley began playing the role. I guess you could have had decaying-zombie Master meet up with Ainsley, but that would have taken a good script in an era where good Dr. Who scripts were even scarcer than recently.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2145 on: April 15, 2017, 01:01:36 PM

Um.

This didn't suck too much.  Lots of IP theft, of course, but you ought to be used to that by now and at least he's stealing IP from a previous Dr Who writer who's dead.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2146 on: April 15, 2017, 03:43:02 PM

I haven't watched an episode since the first couple of Matt Smith episodes. As noted, he was doing a great job with material that had just become too bad for me to watch. What should I do? Catch up on anything in particular, or just jump back in at the current season? 
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2147 on: April 15, 2017, 07:22:20 PM

Not bad.

I like Bill, I like the premise that got it started.

This may not suck too much.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2148 on: April 16, 2017, 05:20:50 AM

I haven't watched an episode since the first couple of Matt Smith episodes. As noted, he was doing a great job with material that had just become too bad for me to watch. What should I do? Catch up on anything in particular, or just jump back in at the current season? 

Don't ask me.  All of Smith was awful, most of Capaldi was awful.  The recent Christmas one wasn't awful and this latest one wasn't awful, but alas I really don't think we'll see a return too form any time soon. Moffats balls are lurking.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2149 on: April 16, 2017, 08:13:48 AM

It was pretty decent. Took me a minute to recognize that the Doctor being in the picture with the mother wasn't an attempt to set Bill up as another "magic girl" but that it was really simple--that was his Christmas present to her, to create an archive of pictures of her mother since she didn't have any. Basically I liked the whole set-up for the companion and it looks like they might have a decent enough arc.

I think re: what to watch, the only way to really do it is selective skipping to the best Smith and Capaldis--I think there are some. With Smith, it's hard because many of his good ones are tangled up in some pretty heavy Moffatry.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2150 on: April 19, 2017, 09:28:50 AM

Could've been an interesting few episodes or even a half-season of the Doctor in hiding/retirement as an English professor. Triggered pulled like a teenager with his first girl.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2151 on: April 19, 2017, 12:50:18 PM

Good episode but they are totally setting Bill up to be a magic girl.  You'll note the liquid ship remnant labelled Bill the captain when viewing her and when it grabbed Heather, she was labelled passenger.
It shouldn't be ignored that it was't just a liquid ship remnant, it was able to travel through time and space as well and how many cultures in this universe are capable of time/space travel? A handful at best?

This all leaves the greater mystery lingering of what the original ship was, where it is now and why it would consider Bill the captain of it.  Now I do like Bill, she's refreshing and charming in a way Clara never was(though she was smoking) but make no mistake boys, we're in full impossible girl territory here.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2152 on: April 19, 2017, 01:37:27 PM

Lurking, I tell you.  Watch out for his balls.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2153 on: May 06, 2017, 07:44:53 PM

You know.

This season is pretty good so far.

Bill is in the running for best nuWho companion. Very well acted, well-written, interesting interactions with the Doctor, blessedly free of the underpinnings that have wrecked every other nuWho companion except Donna.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2154 on: May 08, 2017, 03:36:41 AM

Yeah, it's ok.  The secret vault was pretty much spoiled by the very first trailer months ago, but apart from that, it's ok.

I like Bill.  When she was first shown, it looked like she was going to be godawful, but she's really not.

The further education angle has also proved interesting, thematically.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2155 on: May 14, 2017, 07:09:11 PM

I really liked this last episode, the whole season has been pretty damn good really.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2156 on: May 15, 2017, 04:10:43 AM

Yeah.  If we're gonna have an arc, having it be about the actual Doctor is probably a good idea.  I can only hope that the vault isn't as gratuitously obvious as it appears to be.

But yeah, this is getting away from the previous 3 or 4 seasons of utter shite.  Let's see what happens.  It was at least an engaging way to do zombies, I suppose.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2157 on: May 15, 2017, 05:48:19 AM

It's obviously Missy.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2158 on: May 15, 2017, 05:51:39 AM

That is, in fact, the obvious, yes.  I'm hoping that they're going to subvert those expectations, since that's lame as all fuck.  Also, I'm not sure it'll actually be her, it makes more sense to be him.  Since both were previewed in the Season trailer ages ago...

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2159 on: May 15, 2017, 07:10:11 AM

I'm enjoying this season more than the last one.  Having Nardole around to remind the Doctor of his responsibilities allows Bill to be a more likable character.   

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2160 on: May 15, 2017, 10:27:53 AM

I'm thinking it's more likely to be Simm. I would enjoy it if it was something else entirely, though, and the Master and Missy show up because they want what's in there. Omega or Rassilon, maybe. Or Susan. Something unexpected but meaningful to the character. Himself as Valeyard, maybe.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2161 on: May 16, 2017, 01:49:53 PM

I wonder if they are going to subvert expectations and also validate them.  Missy will be in the episode, it will be the master trapped in the vault.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2162 on: May 16, 2017, 06:10:05 PM

The whole setup this season reminds me some of Pertwee's Earth-bound season--that was a basically good idea. It gave the Doctor something to be frustrated by, and made him reckless in a different kind of way. Plus he had a kind of disability (the Time Lords imposing a mental block on him) which was also a good character element.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2163 on: May 20, 2017, 01:21:59 PM

And his name came up in the writing credits at the start and, well, you know the rest.

What a pile of shite.  Fuck off with your balls Moffat.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2164 on: May 20, 2017, 08:08:58 PM

Yeah, we were all like, "Well, this season has been fun right up to the 'there's a secret thing you can't see and nothing is really real' Moffaty shit. The dude is a fucking one-trick pony. I just don't know why he isn't embarrassed about it at this point. Hopefully we get back to a fun episode after next week's predictably bullshit episode, because I have been enjoying this one a lot up until now.

At least we got a kind-of explanation for why the Pope's speaking wasn't instantly translated. Kind of puzzled about why the Doctor didn't realize it too.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2165 on: June 06, 2017, 02:55:38 PM

The last of the Bloodline was a wee girl and I just pushed her into a volcano.

Missy is probably the best part of this show.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2166 on: June 06, 2017, 05:38:02 PM

I think Bill is maybe the best nuWho companion. And Capaldi is playing the shit out of the role. Until this three-part Monk thing, that was pretty fucking great. Moffat's tired script beats pretty well pulled it down.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2167 on: June 07, 2017, 02:52:13 AM

Those three episodes didn't need to happen.  And I mean that in both the real world and the Who world.  Nothing actually happened.  It was utterly fucking pathetic.

That cunt needs to stop trying to write stuff. 

Bill is great and Capaldi is great and they're both GOING at the end of this.  What the fuck.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2168 on: June 08, 2017, 07:16:44 PM

Those three episodes didn't need to happen.  And I mean that in both the real world and the Who world.  Nothing actually happened.  It was utterly fucking pathetic.

That cunt needs to stop trying to write stuff. 

Bill is great and Capaldi is great and they're both GOING at the end of this.  What the fuck.

I thought Bill was sticking around for the next Doctor. Huh.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2169 on: June 09, 2017, 03:29:49 AM

Rumoured to be going, BBC solidly stood behind her by.... well, saying 'Wait and See !!!'

Which means she gets buttfucked by Moffat right at the end when she wakes up and the Doctor was all a dream and Bobby is in the shower.

Seriously, fuck this asshole.

Have a link.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: