Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624488 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1575 on: January 09, 2014, 01:32:54 PM

Yes, but he's a wizard with a magical blue box that can violate causality (except for when it can't.  Plus the times where it shouldn't be able to, but suddenly is, because reasons.  Also, SHUT UP.)

None of which is a problem, except when it becomes the focus of the show:)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1576 on: January 09, 2014, 02:13:58 PM

I get the impression that no one currently involved feels bound by anything so prosaic as established continuity and so they just make it up as they go along.
I think Moffat should have stuck to this continuity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1577 on: January 09, 2014, 02:29:54 PM

Yes, one gets the impression, putting everything together, that both The Doctor and the Timelords were forced into being very, very, very bad bastards.

I always got the impression that the Timelords themselves kind of lost the plot and started sacrificing people out of expediency rather than necessity. As such, the Doctor took them out with the Daleks to save more people - i.e. what he always does, just harder, more brutally and to his own people. That's one of the reasons I hated them giving him that out in Day of the Doctor. Nothing he did in the Time War was out of character - just out of the normal scale of things he's used to. I think of things like what he did to the Family as an example.

Yes. I honestly preferred this sense, reinforced by some of the lines in The End of Time Part 2, that the Time Lords had completely lost any relative benevolence and had become as dangerous and morally vacant as the Daleks, so the Doctor did what he had to do in order to save everything.

It's not even inconsistent with being a Doctor, e.g., a healer. Healers sometimes amputate if it's the only way to save a patient's life.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1578 on: January 12, 2014, 04:06:35 AM

Rewatching Eccleston and it's just a polar opposite.  He was a bad bastard tho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1579 on: January 12, 2014, 04:29:50 PM

Eccles is too busy starring in GI Joe films to come back to Doctor Who though.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1580 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:23 PM

Eccles is too busy starring in GI Joe films to come back to Doctor Who though.

I believe there was more to it than that...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1581 on: January 12, 2014, 05:32:06 PM

He actually wanted to chose the director for the 50th anniversary special to be on it.  As much as i wanted to see him there that was simply an idiotic request.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1582 on: January 13, 2014, 08:34:42 AM

That meant he really didn't want to fucking do it, because he felt like he'd been fucked over by many of the other directors on the show in his time there and wasn't about to step back into the role unless the producers showed they wanted to be accommodating of his past issues. He's clearly stated in the past that the role wasn't the problem, the showrunners were.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1583 on: August 11, 2014, 04:39:39 PM

New series trailer. 30 seconds long, contains a few mild spoilers and you probably shouldn't watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Fhr-HapZE

The new series starts on August 23. I'm surprised Ironwood hasn't resurrected this thread yet. The BBC have been hyping it up by showing the first episode to selected journalists, and it's had very good reviews. The first episode is 80 minutes long (without adverts of course).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1584 on: August 11, 2014, 07:16:20 PM

Saw a report this weekend about Moffat wanting to muck around with a Who/ Sherlock cross-over.

So someone in the UK stop his reign of terror before it starts.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1585 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:21 PM

First off, we need a madman with a magic box...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1586 on: August 12, 2014, 01:35:10 AM

I'm surprised Ironwood hasn't resurrected this thread yet.

I shall, of course, watch it in hope.  As far as I can tell, the look and feel of Capaldi is top notch, but what hope can I have if the scripts are just the same as the last couples of seasons ?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1587 on: August 12, 2014, 08:29:05 AM

^ THIS. ^

I'm not exactly hate-watching it because let's face it, I'd watch it just for Hot Companion and Peter Capaldi. If the scripts don't improve, it'll be just like Smith's run - well-acted, well-shot trash that continually makes me go BWAWHU?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1588 on: August 12, 2014, 04:05:15 PM

Here's my take, Smith let the Moffatry happen because he was young and eager and, "Holy shit, I'm Doctor Who!"

Capaldi will have less of that because he's fucking Capaldi. At least, that's my hope.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1589 on: August 12, 2014, 05:38:52 PM

Here's my take, Smith let the Moffatry happen because he was young and eager and, "Holy shit, I'm Doctor Who!"

Capaldi will have less of that because he's fucking Capaldi. At least, that's my hope.

Well Capaldi should be familiar with the show enough to know when to raise the eyebrow.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1590 on: August 12, 2014, 06:04:45 PM

Capaldi eyebrows are already stuff of legend, add doctor gravitas to it and I am unsure if the earth can handle it.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1591 on: August 13, 2014, 01:54:35 AM

I wish, I wish, I wish I had your hope.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1592 on: August 13, 2014, 05:28:45 AM

I still think you guys are overly hard on the show under Moffat, but I do hope he restrains some of his own wretched tendencies, and I do hope that he hands off the reins to someone else while Capaldi is still in the role.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1593 on: August 13, 2014, 08:11:52 PM

I'm seeing the season premiere tomorrow night with Capaldi and Coleman. If I get to actually talk to him, I'll tell him to kill Moffat in his sleep.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1594 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:15 AM

You're what with the who now ?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1595 on: August 14, 2014, 10:26:33 AM

He's namedropping again, just nod and move on.

awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1596 on: August 14, 2014, 10:35:34 AM

I am indeed namedropping. It's one of the perks of being me.  awesome, for real

That said, it'll be a few hundred other people too, so I probably won't be able to get a question in.

edit: I gave my tickets to a couple of people that would've geeked out on the experience bigger than me. They instagrammed selfies with Capaldi and a cyberman.

And then there was the lone shot of Moffat. Damn me for being a good guy. I could've ended the Moffatry once and for all.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:46:28 PM by Surlyboi »

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1597 on: August 14, 2014, 07:02:15 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1598 on: August 14, 2014, 07:28:34 PM

Heh, Moffat's looking up Jenna's dress.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:36:22 PM by Surlyboi »

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1599 on: August 14, 2014, 08:07:41 PM

Poor girl can't afford shoes that fit.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1600 on: August 15, 2014, 01:15:26 AM

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

I just want the caption on that last picture to be 'Take The Shot !!!'

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1601 on: August 15, 2014, 07:09:25 AM

You're not.  It's actually the first thing I noticed.  Geez, they look painful, too.

As much as I like Peter Capaldi (The Thick of It was one of my fav programs... except for the YEARS in between seasons), I'm not sure even he can convince me to watch Dr. Who.  He's in that new Musketeers series, too, which is on my list to watch. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1602 on: August 15, 2014, 07:40:05 AM

He's a bit of a bastard in that too.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1603 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:57 PM

He's really good in the Musketeers series as Cardinal Richelieu. He has the perfect blend of dickishness and B-movie mustache twirling villainy.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1604 on: August 18, 2014, 07:39:13 AM

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1605 on: August 18, 2014, 07:55:09 AM

Regardless of the actress, once she ascended to be his guardian angel she should have been done. I'd like him to take on an apprentice or android. I am so done with pseudo-love interests.

"Me am play gods"
Terracotta Army

Reply #1606 on: August 18, 2014, 08:32:12 AM

Regardless of the actress, once she ascended to be his guardian angel she should have been done. I'd like him to take on an apprentice or android. I am so done with pseudo-love interests.

In terms of the show, I fully agree. But I will miss the eye candy...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1607 on: August 18, 2014, 08:36:54 AM

Donna was the best for reasons that ought to be obvious to everyone.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1608 on: August 18, 2014, 08:42:09 AM

Donna was the best for reasons that ought to be obvious to everyone.

She was.  Does anyone know why she left the show? I imagine it's cause moffat thought fans only want super hot companions.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1609 on: August 18, 2014, 08:54:37 AM

It's because she turned into The Doctor.

Oh, you mean the real life reason, not the fucking retarded 'I can't write for fucking shit' reason.

Um.  Dunno really.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: