Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:36:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 627905 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1295 on: June 04, 2013, 08:59:41 AM

I believe they already established that timelords can regenerate across sex.

Um ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1296 on: June 04, 2013, 10:38:43 AM

Yes, she's a Time-Lord with 11 or 12 regenerations left.

However, there's something 'odd' about her that we're not yet privvy to.  It's possible due to the duplicate nature of the DNA, The Doctor can't sense her.  He's still of the opinion that he's the only Time Lord, despite us knowing different.

It would be really, really good if she could come back as a companion at some point.  Especially given that you have total leeway with casting as it's in built handwavvy at this point.  Romana was awesome and even the nonsense that was The Rani had enough meat on it to be fun.

Khaldun has an interesting story there, so it'll almost certainly be rejected.  There's also the issue that you can't really retroactively make regenerations, since up to 5, The Doctor himself stated that he hadn't had one, if you follow me.

Yeah, but they've already covered themselves on this one: Hurt isn't "the Doctor" exactly. All his later regenerations renounced him (however many are "later", depending on when he happened in the Doctor's timeline) so they'd not count him and not even want to ever let anyone know about him.

I really like the idea of the Doctor as a political dissident disowning not just his people but his earlier self. It doesn't just enrich the character, it enriches his mythos--it begins to make the numbers of Time Lords who went renegade in one way or the other make a new kind of sense.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1297 on: June 04, 2013, 11:37:23 AM

I dunno.  I'm with Ockham on this one.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1298 on: June 04, 2013, 01:54:36 PM

Occam thinks Moffat is simple?  why so serious?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1299 on: June 04, 2013, 02:39:13 PM

No, he thinks he's a hack that's going to rip off the Valeyard shite.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1300 on: June 04, 2013, 02:54:20 PM

The Valeyard is not a good idea and they'd be wise to stay far away from anything in that era of the show. It's one reason I'm more sanguine about Moffat even when I don't like his approach--I really think the people flipping out need to watch late-period John Nathan-Turner Who to get a better sense of proportion about what badness can be.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1301 on: June 04, 2013, 03:00:14 PM

You don't need to tell me about Pants Baker and Awful McCoy.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #1302 on: June 06, 2013, 08:23:36 PM

Perhaps Hurt is playing a later version of the 8th (doubtful) or someone between 8 and 9 who actually led the charge in the Time War. Perhaps The Doctor ended the Time War because he himself caused it or made it worse in some way in a regeneration that he is trying to hide?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1303 on: June 07, 2013, 01:18:02 PM

I think you have to imagine that the Time War has been going on at least since "Genesis of the Daleks"--in fact, that the Time Lords, knowing something about the likely evolution of the Daleks, were the initial aggressors in the war in "Genesis" but only succeeded in giving Davros and the Daleks an early awareness of the existence of time travel. The Time War that the 8th or 9th Doctor fought more actively in seems to me to be some kind of escalation or all-out intensification of an ongoing conflict.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1304 on: June 07, 2013, 04:38:44 PM

Stop trying to puzzle it out with logic.

This a Moffat plot line. It won't make any sense.

I don't really have any problem with him being the valeyard. It was terrible first time around because the scripts of that era were terrible, not because the idea is especially bad. It will probably be terrible this time as well, but because of the writer, not because of the idea.

A doctor regeneration who shows up to end the time war and then develops such self loathing he becomes an antagonist for the other regenerations sounds like a decent premise. The issue is going to be the execution. There is no way Moffat can write a satisfying time war, or a satisfying way to resolve the meeting of the doctors with the Valeyard. Writing mechanics based episodes is hard at the best of times.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1305 on: June 17, 2013, 02:09:55 PM

So since I'd seen so little of Colin Baker's run and the Valeyard keeps getting brought up, I Netflixed Part 1 of Trial of the Time Lord.

Yeah, it wasn't very good. Even in relation to the Baker "guys wrapped in bubble wrap," it was not good. Peri is fucking annoying as shit. I can imagine Brits getting up in arms about an "American" being a companion but really, she was just irritating. And when they wrote Colin Baker's version of the Doctor, was their starting baseline "raging dickhead?" Because he was. He just left Peri to wander on a mysterious planet alone like that ever ends well and didn't give two shits about her bad feelings. The only other episode of his I saw also portrayed him as a total tool. Were the writers just tired of the Doctor being liked?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1306 on: June 17, 2013, 07:04:56 PM

Actually, pretty much exactly that. The plan for Colin Baker was that he would be enormously unlikeable and unstable in his first year and then essentially be broken down and built back up again--that the character would have to earn his likeability through dramatic travails. The problem with that was: an incompetent producer, an actor more or less incapable of pulling it off, wretched scripts, a thoroughly unlikeable companion who was just tits and screaming, and bad adversaries. Trial of a Time Lord was their attempt to get the plan back on track--too little too late. Then you get the Cartmel Masterplan with McCoy, but the first year of McCoy's scripts and characterization weren't in synch with the better ideas of the masterplan. He was kind of sort of getting there when the show got cancelled but the scripts were still pretty weak.

In many ways, nuWho is many the good ideas that were utterly lost in horrible horrible execution in the last 3-4 years of the old show brought forward with better scripts, better show-running, better effects and better actors.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1307 on: June 18, 2013, 12:23:58 AM

And then Moffat happened and we ended up right back in there again.

I never minded Peri that much.  The tits were, in fact, utterly fantastic.  There's a line from Peter Davidson about his regeneration scene, in which he mentions the sadness of leaving the role was overshadowed by her leaning over him as he died.  Spectacular view.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1308 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51:01 AM

Neither Colin Baker nor Slyvester McCoy were bad actors.

I agree with the rest of what you said, but there has never been a run in Who that was bad because of the doctor's performance.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1309 on: June 18, 2013, 05:11:53 AM

Oh come on, there are actors that just aren't suited to particular roles.  While McCoy had some 'good' Doctor moments, I watched the entirety of Colin Baker and there wasn't a good bit to be found ANYWHERE.  It was a big, big mistake putting him there.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1310 on: June 18, 2013, 05:52:22 AM

A doctor regeneration who shows up to end the time war and then develops such self loathing he becomes an antagonist for the other regenerations sounds like a decent premise. The issue is going to be the execution. There is no way Moffat can write a satisfying time war, or a satisfying way to resolve the meeting of the doctors with the Valeyard. Writing mechanics based episodes is hard at the best of times.

That could be a good story.

I'd got the impression though that the Ecclestone Doctor was already supposed to be something a little like that. At the end of Journey's End, when Rose goes off to live with the human Doctor, the real Doctor gives a little speech about how the human Doctor was kind of evil because he'd been born in a war and suggests basically that Rose's love would save him, and if I recall correctly he says something to the effect that Rose has already done that once before, which seemed to be a reference to the ninth Doctor, as I understood it anyway.

Moffat has done some good stuff in the past though. Let's hope for a return to form! So we can be horribly dissapointed
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1311 on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:21 PM

Speaking of probable disappointments, that rumours of someone finding 90 of the 'lost' episodes just refuses to die.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1312 on: August 02, 2013, 02:17:49 AM

I gather the new doctor actor is being announced on Sunday.

Peter Capaldi and Idris Elba lead the betting. I would assume Elba is only there because he gets mentioned for literally every conceivable role. Capaldi would be an interesting choice, I really struggle to picture him in the same Tennant/Smith hyperactive big kid mold. If they want something a little darker in the vein of Hartnell/Baker/Ecclestone he could be a great choice, whether Moffat can write for that is another matter.

Also worth noting I've hated every doctor choice in the history of the show when they were announced, and every actor has proved me wrong (despite often terrible material to work with). So my opinion on this subject is broadly unsound.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1313 on: August 02, 2013, 02:30:03 AM

I know they used actors as companions that had different roles in the past, but John Frobisher as the Doctor? The big man himself recycled?

But then I am partial to Idris Elba as Doctor, not that this would ever happen...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1314 on: August 02, 2013, 03:17:14 AM

Being the doctor is a 6 month/year commitment that is likely to typecast you for both TV and film work. Elba would be daft to take it if he wants to build a film career. Especially if the bond rumours are true.

The Doctor is a much better proposition for a career stage actor who could use a TV gig to pay bills in the short term and ramp up his box office pull in the long term, while still giving him enough of the year free for a turn in the west end during the off months. Hence Tennant, Smith, Capaldi.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1315 on: August 02, 2013, 03:22:15 AM

Romana did it.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1316 on: August 02, 2013, 06:38:02 AM

I'd still like to see Rupert Grint get the job.   awesome, for real
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1317 on: August 02, 2013, 06:43:32 AM

In the meantime, it's also clear from the folks who saw the trailer for the 50th at Comic Con that Hurt is the Time War Doctor--maybe even the person who started the Time War with an all-out attack on the Daleks.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1318 on: August 02, 2013, 10:39:16 AM

I'd still like to see Rupert Grint get the job.   awesome, for real

I have my doubts about Mr. Grint's actual acting ability, so no.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1319 on: August 02, 2013, 11:06:17 AM

Peter Capaldi looks to be the most likely candidate.  I guess they've stopped letting people even bet on him being named on Sunday.  Not really familiar with who he is and I don't know if an older Doctor will really help the show in the long run.
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #1320 on: August 02, 2013, 11:17:03 AM

Peter Capaldi looks to be the most likely candidate.  I guess they've stopped letting people even bet on him being named on Sunday.  Not really familiar with who he is and I don't know if an older Doctor will really help the show in the long run.

I don't know if I can buy Capaldi as the Doctor after him being so damned good at Malcolm Tucker.  I'll be expecting a torrent of profanity coming out of his mouth every time he's on screen.  Plus, will they make him Un-Scottish? 
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1321 on: August 02, 2013, 01:14:07 PM

I'll guess they'll pick Bill Bailey for the next doctor! why so serious?  (I doubt anyone else would even think of that one...)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1322 on: August 03, 2013, 04:44:14 AM

For anyone who doesn't know about Peter Capaldi, he's best known as a character called Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It, the British version of Veep.

Malcolm Tucker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjAyazqtQj8 (Not work safe because of very bad language)

He appeared in The Fires of Pompeii as the father of the Roman family.

And he was civil servant John Frobisher in Torchwood: Children of Earth, where I personally thought he was very good. To refresh your memory if you've seen it:

Peter Capaldi in Torchwood.

I'm sure he could do it in an English accent but if they do cast him, I don't see why he couldn't play Doctor Who with a Scottish accent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1323 on: August 03, 2013, 05:00:40 AM

It's not as if his accent is any stronger than Christopher Ecclestone's.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1324 on: August 03, 2013, 05:15:29 AM

I wouldn't be unhappy if they cast Capaldi--it's time for the Doctor to be older again, and I've liked him in what I've seen him in--but I do sort of wish they'd be ballsy enough to cast a non-white actor. I also don't mind a woman at all, except that I think Moffat would screw it up with a lot of the Doctor groping himself, etc.--the important thing, jokes about ginger or nose size aside, is that the Doctor be essentially somewhat unconcerned with his body. If he/she is non-white or a woman, it's really important that the character act like that's no big deal and that his companions more or less get on board with that right away. It would be especially tedious if the Doctor's adversaries spent two seasons saying stuff like, "The Doctor is a FE-MALE! EXTERMINATE" or "Ah, Doctor, so I see you have become a Negro! It will not save you from my tissue compactor!"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1325 on: August 03, 2013, 05:24:24 AM

You all know Tennant is Scottish right ?  Some of the stuff you're saying here is just stupid, given that.

I mean, fucking Paisley accent.  If you can hide that, you can hide fucking Greek.

Actually, McCoy as well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:34:23 AM by Ironwood »

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1326 on: August 03, 2013, 07:26:11 AM

I wouldn't be unhappy if they cast Capaldi--it's time for the Doctor to be older again, and I've liked him in what I've seen him in--but I do sort of wish they'd be ballsy enough to cast a non-white actor. I also don't mind a woman at all, except that I think Moffat would screw it up with a lot of the Doctor groping himself, etc.--the important thing, jokes about ginger or nose size aside, is that the Doctor be essentially somewhat unconcerned with his body. If he/she is non-white or a woman, it's really important that the character act like that's no big deal and that his companions more or less get on board with that right away. It would be especially tedious if the Doctor's adversaries spent two seasons saying stuff like, "The Doctor is a FE-MALE! EXTERMINATE" or "Ah, Doctor, so I see you have become a Negro! It will not save you from my tissue compactor!"

Unless they are human themselves, it wouldn't make sense for his adversaries to have the same bizarre superstitious fetish about skin tone as we do.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1327 on: August 03, 2013, 07:48:43 AM

Don't look at this spoiler if you hate them. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1328 on: August 03, 2013, 10:35:42 AM

I... what... why?

I'd be fine with Capaldi - it's time we got back to a Doctor that was a bit older. I'd also have no problem with Elba since he deserves any role he wants. But that spoiler? There's no fucking way that wanker Moffat doesn't fuck that up royally.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1329 on: August 03, 2013, 10:53:24 AM

Don't look at this spoiler if you hate them. 

I'd like that, mostly because it can't be worse than the entirety of Shite that got churned out through Smiths stuff.

That said, it sounds like pre-rumour shite.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: