Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:11:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Anything Different about starting at L1 ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anything Different about starting at L1 ?  (Read 5476 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: November 06, 2004, 12:43:46 PM

Have you guys noticed anything different about starting at L1?
Shaftoe

Email
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 03:56:46 PM

I haven't noticed anything different, game-mechanics wise.  The intro/prequel is exactly like the L15 one, but with different texture sets and critter levels, of course.  Kind of clever on their part, actually,

It's the same deal at the starting town -- there's an instanced 'explorable area' and the beginning of a linear chain of instanced missions.  I haven't found a second skill trainer yet, but I didn't explore too much either.

The starter town/area seems to be missing a material trader (or I just haven't stumbled across them yet) and doesn't seem to have expert salvage kits for sale.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 05:30:46 PM

The first non-mission explorable area after the tutorial is a lot like the E3 preview complete with stone elementals and gargoyles (including the annoying rez ones). It even has the same lodestone quest.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 07:01:11 PM

Do you get more attribute points if you level from lvl 1? it doesn't seem to me a level 15 starts with 25X15 points spent.

I am the .00000001428%
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 07:35:20 PM

- Attribute points: have have 0 at level 1 and earn 5 and levels 2 and 3 -- by the time I hit level 6 I think I had earned 25 of 200.

- expert salvage kits weren't available in the starting town, and not really needed. I'm guessing there is a place to buy them later on or in a nearby explorable area.

But don't get hung up on any specific content -- no new character can go to Lions Arch or the WPE areas, and vice versa. They have essentially separated the two spaces for now -- which I doubt will be like this for release.

- low level adventuring, to me, is just as fun and rewarding as higher level -- and maybe even more so -- by having such a limited spell selection, even after buying a few new spells, I am really forced to learn to play with these spells and learn how to use them rather than just pick and choose what looks good on paper without having learned how to play it. There is a drawback to this though for warriors you are forced to start with hammer skills -- and there's no way to get enough sword or axe skills early on to make it worth playing axe or sword.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 07:57:35 PM

Quote from: Threash
Do you get more attribute points if you level from lvl 1? it doesn't seem to me a level 15 starts with 25X15 points spent.

You don't get the same amount of attribute points each time you level. At level 3 I have 10/200 (you start with 0) and at level 19 I have 175/200.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 06:59:39 PM

I found it fun. The expert salvage kits about five or so missions in.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 12:16:28 AM

Is that past those damn 100+ hitting centaurs on the ice pass over the mountains? I tried doing that mission a few times and got totally owned by the centaurs every time.

Oh and are you sure the two areas are seperated? Did you finish all the missions? I really like the icy mountainous areas, the dwarves looted cool too.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 06:12:40 AM

No -- it just seemed the asreas are separated -- when I tried creating a new level 15 I saw I could go from Ascalon to Lions Arch -- guessing there will be some kind of 'path' to follow to open up each area and eventually connect all the places

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Pelias

Email
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 03:58:25 PM

You can get to Kyra in two ways. Either doing missions (I heard), or making the run through explorable areas.
5 or 6 explorable areas w/o savepoint to be precise:)

My party finished it at first try, having 0-3% death penalty at the end. But that was beacuse we got balanced team (with tanks, healers nukers and ranger who lured stuff) and we're cautionous as hell. Ie: instead just charging every beast we meet it was like: "Ok,  we stay and defend this point A, after I lure him tanks advance to point B to take over the ettin, while elementalists fall back to point C, preparing speel to nuke the bastards";-)

Experience with ettins gave us treademous advantage in gate of Kyrta mission with lighting drakes, who were hitting for 200+ dmg:) While all the noobs just charged them and died in seconds, we killed all w/o loses, collecting insane loot (10-17 staff;-).

Centaurs are easy, trust me. Wait till you see snow ettins hitting for 150+dmg:) Then ighting drakes(yess, the same lv18 lighting drakes you'll find in explorable area after final mission in entire game:P)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Anything Different about starting at L1 ?  
Jump to: