Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Lockpicking? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lockpicking?  (Read 16797 times)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

on: September 10, 2008, 03:42:44 PM

Okay wow, my free trial expires in a couple days and I don't wanna stop playing. Dammit I'm actually into UO again.

That said, any tips on raising lockpicking? I tried making myself some locked boxes, but those were too easy. I made a tinker/carp alt, 50/50 skill, but those were too hard. Then I discovered I can pick locks around town, which was actually kinda fun. I'm gaining skill, but it's slow going. I'm up to about 30 now. Any tips?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:41:17 PM

You are playing on the actual Origin/Mythic servers?  Are they any good?  Is there a semi-decent population?  With so many freeshards I don't even think about the paid to play ones anymore.

I'm not sure how the EA/Origin/Mythic/whoever has it now servers work so I don't know what to suggest.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:24:03 PM

Dungeon chests maybe?  Hmm.  I know lockpicking is one of those super beastly horrible skills to raise, like poisoning.  Let me see what I can look up...

Okay, the tinker skill with which a lockbox is manufactured matters.  Boxes crafted by a GM tinker can take you all the way up to 95 lockpicking skill, and after that it's gotta be dungeon chests and treasure map chests.  They've removed the old anti-macro code, so you can gain all the way to 95 just picking the same box over and over again.

I'll PM you something that may help with the tedium.  Wink wink.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:31:22 PM

From what I have read my guide will lead you to GM.  Even though its on a free shard, same rules apply.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:27:52 AM

You are playing on the actual Origin/Mythic servers?  Are they any good?  Is there a semi-decent population?  With so many freeshards I don't even think about the paid to play ones anymore.

I'm not sure how the EA/Origin/Mythic/whoever has it now servers work so I don't know what to suggest.

They're fun, but they're a wasteland of nobody. I literally have Trinsic to myself. (I started there back in beta, so I tend to gravitate there for sentimental reasons.)

Okay, the tinker skill with which a lockbox is manufactured matters.  Boxes crafted by a GM tinker can take you all the way up to 95 lockpicking skill, and after that it's gotta be dungeon chests and treasure map chests.  They've removed the old anti-macro code, so you can gain all the way to 95 just picking the same box over and over again.

I don't seem to gain any skill trying to pick high-level boxes. I went through 20 lockpicks, trying to pick a skill-50 locked box, with no gains. Unless it takes more than 20 tries...?

From what I have read my guide will lead you to GM.  Even though its on a free shard, same rules apply.

Wha guide where?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:50:01 AM

What's your lockpicking skill at when you try to pick skill-50 boxes?  And what shard are you on?

Population's undoubtedly well down from what it once was, which is part of why I play Atlantic, but I can't imagine how many people you'd have to flood the game with to get Trinsic inhabited under the current rules.  Britain, Luna, and New Haven would all have to become totally uninhabitable for lag.  Then probably Umbra, Skara Brae, and some others.  When everyone can recall with zero chance of failure thanks to how runebooks work now, why go anywhere but Luna?

It's not like anyone is hunting near Trinsic and walking to town.  Fucking crybabies these days pitched a fit when the devs nerfed Bags of Sending so people couldn't just sit in dungeons and actually had to make bank runs again.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:55:20 PM

I'm on Pacific at the moment. My lockpicking is at 30 now. Wooo!

I don't understand half of what you said; Luna bags of runepicking? I don't even know where to get a runebook. I'd want an empty one and fill it myself because that's fun. Currently I'm hopping from one town to the next, picking all the locks I can, then carrying on to the next one. It's kinda slow going, but it's working.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 04:43:49 PM

You charge runebooks by dropping recall scrolls in them, and as long as you're expending a charge your recall will always succeed.  Luna is one of the two cities in Malas.  It consists of a moongate, bank, stable, and NPC shops all in a tight central bundle, surrounded by a ring of player housing within the outermost walls.  It's the player vendor capital of the game, and the only place you really need to go for anything.

This site is run by some shady goldseller types, but it maintains a frequently updated index of everything for sale in Luna on a bunch of different shards:  www.searchuo.com

By selecting Pacific, searching on "runebook", and jumping to the last page (they're sorted by price) to skip the more expensive pre-filled books, I can tell you that the first shop on the north side heading out the east exist of the central NPC part of Luna has blank runebooks for sale for as little as 500 gold.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 07:14:14 PM

Interesting. I thought runebooks were books of recall locations, and you dropped runes on them to add places to recall to. Or am I thinking of something else?

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:24:51 PM

No, you're right.  But additionally, you can put recall scrolls in them to give them charges.  You can either simply use the runes to cast recall or gate as normal, or expend one of the charges to recall without fail even if you have no magery skill.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 08:29:48 AM

Ah, sweet.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 05:25:24 AM

They're fun, but they're a wasteland of nobody. I literally have Trinsic to myself. (I started there back in beta, so I tend to gravitate there for sentimental reasons.)

So the servers are fairly empty?  I think I just found a freeshard that is pretty damn cool and MUCH more populated than Angel Island.  Its is a T2A shard.  http://uosecondage.com/

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Lockpicking?  
Jump to: