Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:54:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Open Beta Update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Open Beta Update  (Read 8143 times)
fuser
Terracotta Army

on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:21 PM

Two days into open beta and there's a status update online

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=244

Here's a fun change.

"You've given us your feedback and we've listened! Open RvR servers will now allow you to play one tier below your current level without turning into a chicken. This will allow you more time to experience the PvE content of the first 3 tiers, and it also adds more danger to the mix."  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:25:07 PM

farming lowbies ftw?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:18:10 PM

Don't let Non see this. Bat Country might go this way.

Bazooko's is DEFINITELY LIKELY to go this way.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:19:11 PM

Don't let Non see this. Bat Country might will probably won't go this way.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:13:38 AM by Nonentity »

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:21:27 PM

HAH SERVED.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 07:25:18 PM

Nevermind. Neither guild is going this way.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 07:29:17 PM

I strongly disagree!

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 07:30:30 PM

7 Words that End This Discussion:

You can get ganked in PvE zones.

Ohhhhh, I see.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 07:34:20 PM

You can kill people in PvE zones.

Seriously, though, I'm strongly for an Open RvR ruleset - regardless of how much you play the game, or how many hours you put in, it really makes the world more cohesive and you get a better attachment to your character if you've really fought tooth and nail for it. That has nothing to do with being 'hardcore', it's just learning when you fight. There's no better way to become a good player then to be forced into weird situations.

I'd like to think I enjoy being good at the games I play - I'm not even all that hardcore, to be honest, what with my job and weekend stuff, but with the hours I put in, I want to have good competition.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 07:36:03 PM

7 Words that End This Discussion:

You can get ganked in PvE zones.

Ohhhhh, I see.

I'd prefer Core then.. I mean there's so much PvP as it is, I want at least some haven from it.  Usually when I PvE I'm doing it solo so I can go afk for 5 or something if I have to.. and just to plain relax.  I don't want to have to look over my shoulder all the time.  Besides you can always just flag yourself RvR if you really wanted to.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:43:53 PM

Here's a fun change.

"You've given us your feedback and we've listened! Open RvR servers will now allow you to play one tier below your current level without turning into a chicken. This will allow you more time to experience the PvE content of the first 3 tiers, and it also adds more danger to the mix."  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Wow, this sounds like exactly the opposite of what I'd enjoy.  So, you're still cut off from low level content, still stuck with that stupid chickening mechanic, but now you can be ganked by players who are twice as strong?  Awesome.  This solves nothing, and multiplies the whole "why PvP unless I'm near the max level for my tier" problem into a "why PvP at tier X at all since I'll just get owned by players who are at tier (X+1)" problem.  Ugh.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 07:48:01 PM

That's only on Open servers not Core.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:28 PM

Wow, this sounds like exactly the opposite of what I'd enjoy.  So, you're still cut off from low level content, still stuck with that stupid chickening mechanic, but now you can be ganked by players who are twice as strong?  Awesome.  This solves nothing, and multiplies the whole "why PvP unless I'm near the max level for my tier" problem into a "why PvP at tier X at all since I'll just get owned by players who are at tier (X+1)" problem.  Ugh.
I agree entirely with this, this is the stupidest change I could imagine them making at all.  It's like combining the worst problems of both having and not having the chicken mechanic without -any- of the benefit whatsoever.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 02:34:16 AM

Wait, so this doesn't affect the scenarios, too, does it?
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 02:41:57 AM

I agree entirely with this, this is the stupidest change I could imagine them making at all.  It's like combining the worst problems of both having and not having the chicken mechanic without -any- of the benefit whatsoever.
Agreed. Open PvP servers in this case are to avoid like the plague.

And this from someone (me) who loved and still loves the PvP servers in WoW.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 04:35:38 AM

Could someone link me to / explain to me what this chicken mechanic is and how this change affects low level players ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 06:26:49 AM

I have to be missing something. That sounds  swamp poop

Anyways, chicken means if you're say, level 13 and go into the level 1-11 rvr zone, you'll get Chickened. You turn into a chicken model, and can't use any skills/attack. It's kinda annoying, and I'd far prefer a downlevel debuff that drops all your stats/skills/etc to max for that rvr area.

Chickening is HILARIOUS however when it happens in the middle of a fight and you ding 12.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 07:40:44 AM

If you happen to be playing on Open, it's not just the RVR zones, either.  ANY zone lower level than your current tier (or with this change, two tiers lower) you get chickened.  Everywhere in the zone.  So you can basically never set foot in an older zone again.  Ever.

The new system doesn't help this at all - you're still restricted from going to older zones, ever.  Except now, you also have to deal with gankers from the tier above yours while leveling up.  So at 1-11 you can have a level 20 or whatever kicking your ass, but once you level to...what is it, 22, 23?  You can't go back to the 1-11 zones.  Worst part of both systems.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 07:45:45 AM

Mark Jacobs:  Okay guys, having two rulesets is proving to be too hard and too much of a strain on our resources.  Good news though, I've come up with an idea that is SURE to kill off any hope of a player rolling on an Open RvR server!

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 07:50:15 AM

If you happen to be playing on Open, it's not just the RVR zones, either.  ANY zone lower level than your current tier (or with this change, two tiers lower) you get chickened.  Everywhere in the zone.  So you can basically never set foot in an older zone again.  Ever.

The new system doesn't help this at all - you're still restricted from going to older zones, ever.  Except now, you also have to deal with gankers from the tier above yours while leveling up.  So at 1-11 you can have a level 20 or whatever kicking your ass, but once you level to...what is it, 22, 23?  You can't go back to the 1-11 zones.  Worst part of both systems.

Yeah, I don't understand this either.  Thsi change seems to piss off botht the folks who wanted to remove chickening, and the folks who wanted to keep it.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 07:51:10 AM

Oh please. This is still a lot less prone to ganking than WoW's open PvP servers. You know, where groups of level 70's routinely come in groups and completely trash lowbie towns.

But yeah, I'd rather play core myself too.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 07:51:24 AM

That's what you jackholes get for complaining.  No company in their right mind is going add a huge system like deleveling a week before release.  Also it is good change for people who wanted the OpenRvR server to be more hardcore/ganky/dangerous. Level 20 gank squads roaming through Ch. 2 willl certainly do that.

"Me am play gods"
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 08:17:38 AM

I'm glad I'm rolling on a Core server.

Honestly, levels and gear matter in this game. Already a level 11 is nigh invincible in T1 situations for anyone under level 9, so I could imagine a level 12 just plowing everything.

Oh well.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 08:20:56 AM

Chickening is HILARIOUS however when it happens in the middle of a fight and you ding 12.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

AHAHAHAHAHahahahahhhhhahhhh........... Ohhhhh, I see.  swamp poop  ACK!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 11:11:50 AM

The reason downleveling probably wouldn't work well in WAR is the same reason upleveling doesn't work well enough - it doesn't do anything about your skill access. (Which is why it works decently in CoX. Have an ability that you couldn't have for that level 20 pvp zone? It greys it out.) Maybe if we're lucky and Mythic starts working on making that work properly it could be ready in a few months.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 11:31:59 PM

Bazooko aside, on EU I'll go open.
I love the smell of ganking in the morning.

It's a multiplayer, sloooow game. Fuck PvE, let's enjoy drama!

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 12:06:36 AM

It's likely a misconception to think that people are going to play on Core for the sake of PvE.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 12:37:51 AM

Didn't mean that, Rasix. I was talking about having a slightly safer environment for PvE.

Anyway it's me: in videogames I don't like safe environments.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 03:40:22 PM

Anyway it's me: in videogames I don't like safe environments.

Just open up the firewall on your Windows box.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 03:43:47 PM

Hey ho!
That's not a game, dood.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 05:12:52 PM

It is to them.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 07:53:52 PM

FYI: New patch seemed to introduce some new bugs with the fixes.  One I noticed in particular was the inability to gain morale.  Crashing more often isn't fun either.

Still having fun... just like to see some things streamlined.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Open Beta Update  
Jump to: