Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:52:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fringe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fringe  (Read 94775 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: September 09, 2008, 01:28:57 PM

Ok I saw the pilot months ago when it was leaked on the Net.

It has the potential to be a pretty good show, I liked what i saw and will definitely give it a good viewing.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:36:40 PM

From the adverts it looks like it's going very heavy on the Science is Bad!

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:39:01 PM

It's going to have more of an X-files feel it seems.  It is a J.J. Abrams show, so you never really know.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:11 PM

Every character in Fringe is poorly cast except the old guy from what I saw in the Pilot.  Joshua Jackson, I mean really?  And then there's that random lead chick who can't act, they should of made her boyfriend (the awesome Mark Valley) the lead.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:59:52 PM

Is Mark Valley the guy with the charisma of a plank of wood from Boston Legal?

Fake edit: and he was the lead in 4400 too, no?  I liked the show but he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag there either.

Over and out.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 02:06:19 PM

Oh I never saw the 4400. Maybe he just does well with fantastic writing, because he was great on Boston Legal.

schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 02:21:43 PM

Mark Valley was Buzz Lightyear.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:27:29 PM

Mark Valley was Buzz Lightyear.

Lies!  That was Tim Allen!   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 05:08:55 AM

Watched it last night. Looks like it has potential, though the pacing of the pilot felt slow at points. The acting was averageish.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 02:09:04 PM

Every character in Fringe is poorly cast except the old guy from what I saw in the Pilot.  Joshua Jackson, I mean really?  And then there's that random lead chick who can't act, they should of made her boyfriend (the awesome Mark Valley) the lead.

Pastey?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 08:26:20 PM

Dude, this acting is shite.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 08:37:20 PM

I'm more offended by the fact that the pilot has the same general plot as the pilot for Alias.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 08:38:20 PM

I am not offended by that. At least JJ Abrams is staying in his comfort zone whereas Joss Whedon is just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks (Fucking Dollhouse is replacing the second half of terminator season 2, REALLY?)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 08:42:21 PM

It's FOX...  They probably only ordered like 8 episodes or something because they think its gonna bomb.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 08:43:09 PM

I KNOW RIGHT FUCK. I JUST HAD THAT CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE. YEA KEEP GIVING THE FUCKER SHOWS JUST TO CANCEL THEM. FUCK.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 01:38:33 AM

Bad acting, bad script, invasive and nonsensical music cues. (Like the final "DUN DUN DUN" as the image of the leaf spins) So many things about it didn't work. Jackson is horribly miscast, him calling the female lead "sweetie" was idiotic considering that she looks older than him. His only purpose was to babysit and he spent most of the episode doing one-note delivery of snarky comments. I liked his dad at first but he went from crazy guy to pretty normal over the course of it.

To me it was a bad amalgamation of X-Files, Lost and the 4400. Hell, one of the incidents they mentioned at the end was exactly the 4400. No compelling reason to watch IMO. Then again pilots are often fairly different from the following regular series.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 07:18:26 AM

I enjoyed it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 04:08:08 PM

So 'Jericho' bad then?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 04:51:36 PM

Watched it.  It was very meh.  Acting was noticeably sub par, and the main chick is a really bad actor.  Plot really wasn't very well done, except for the overall conspiracy angle (which I'm always a sucker for).

Having said that, it does have potential, and could pick up.  The feel I actually got from it was that Abrams was sort of trying to go for a Planetary (the comic) feel/story.  Some super scientist guy at the top of a corporation, hording all the major scientific breakthroughs for themselves and/or testing them on the globe.  Good guy team is constantly racing to beat them to new discoveries, etc.  That could be pretty cool if he does try to copy imitate that.  Or it could just suck.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 06:42:19 AM

Saw this last night.  I really liked the science stuff and the old crazy guy.  But i do hope that the crazy guy stays crazy.  The scene in the mental ward cafeteria was great. 

"science talk, science talk...They have the most dreadful butterscotch pudding on mondays here"
"Its thursday"
"Yippie!  no scary butterscotch pudding!"

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 06:47:10 AM

The wife watched it and said I had to watch it so I could explain the gaping plot holes to her.  I refused and said I am not capable of explaining away someone else's bad writing.  She also says it's trying hard to be X-Files but failing.  I plan on staying away.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 07:13:38 AM

Science of the Lambs?

Definitely poorman's X-files. Hell near the end, the bald guy pulls them out and starts reading them.

"Me am play gods"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 09:11:44 AM

I thought Denethor was good but Galadriel's younger sister wasn't particularly compelling.  I think Gene may be the breakout star.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 11:39:39 AM

I've watched about an hour of this and really like it so far. The chick is fairly interchangeable, but I like Joshua Jackson and Denethor. I look forward to seeing more of both.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 10:51:44 AM

Someone should do a show like this but make the female AND male lead actors FBI agents.

Oh, and instead of having one crazy scientist, maybe have three out-there-super-genius types.

Maybe change the old and wrinkly one armed woman character into a smoking wrinkly old male character.

Yeah, that would totally rock.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:03:20 AM by Oban »

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 10:59:50 AM

On tonight, yes?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 11:26:03 AM

Yes. I finished the first episode and liked it a good bit.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 01:45:22 PM

Someone should do a show like this but make the female AND male lead actors FBI agents.

Oh, and instead of having one crazy scientist, maybe have three out-there-super-genius types.

Maybe change the old and wrinkly one armed woman character into a smoking wrinkly old male character.

Yeah, that would totally rock.

That was pretty much my thoughts on the show. I really cant see myself watching any more of it. Not with all the other good shows about to start.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 08:45:11 AM

The lead chick is not likable in any way, they really should kill her off and replace her with a better actor/actress.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 10:36:24 AM

The lead chick is not likable in any way, they really should kill her off and replace her with an better actor/actress with bigger tits.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 10:39:22 AM

The lead chick is not likable in any way, they really should kill her off and replace her with a better actor/actress.

That's my biggest problem with the show.. she's crap.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 10:40:15 AM

I missed it, going to have to watch it tonight on the stream.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 01:15:19 PM

Except for the shows I already liked, Dexter, House, Californication, I haven't liked any of the new ones I've seen.  Granted it's not much, Fringe, True Blood, I can't remember what else, but I thought they all pretty much sucked in every way possible.  Of course, most tv shows always seem to be a snooze fest for me.  Luckily the Showtime ones I enjoy are included in that On Demand service so I don't really have to remember anything.  The only thing worse than most of these tv shows is my memory.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 07:29:40 AM

Watched it last night, i agree there isn't much to make you like the lead lady (yet?), but the rest of the cast is interesting. I enjoy the shades of lost and X-files of this show, and the episode was good IMO.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:46 AM

I watched most of Fringe and it wasn't as bad as I thought.  Not as good as Supernatural, but that's probably very debateable.  It has potential but this point has already been touched on by previous posts.  Better casting for Woman and Black Man would have helped.  I like Ewan McGregor and Crazy Man.  It would be cool if Woman was replaced with Afro Assistant, she seemed OK from the bit of screen she had.  However, probably it will turn out that Cow talks and they gain Spunky White Sidekick.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fringe  
Jump to: