Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:44:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Eureka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eureka  (Read 19151 times)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 10:56:21 PM

Been a fan or Eureka for a long time. I am not sure that I like the current direction. Going to have to see a few more episodes to decide.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 11:41:34 AM

One thing the new direction does, makes sure the stories and character interactions don't get stale. They'll probably still go with "invention of the week fucks up" stories, but all the character relationships we're used to got tossed up in the air and landed all jumbled. Extremely risky, but I think it'll pay off well. I love that they brought Sheriff Andy the robot back.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 08:17:59 PM

I'm loving it that Eureka and Warehouse 13 have been brought back. Both goofy little bubblegum shows that provide a pleasant hour of silly escapism. I loved the concept of the Escher Vault on W13.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 09:28:29 PM

There's gonna be a Eureka/Warehouse 13 crossover later in the season.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 11:45:27 PM

Up to now I love the new season, its wicked fun. I expect great things from Gaius Balter, Eureka Founder. And Andy the Deputy, the earnest puppy dog robot.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 07:29:19 AM

Andy is awesome!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 10:57:43 PM

Best line of the series so far: From the Ex-Files: When Grant (James Callis) is asked who he's seeing when he hallucinates, "Tall, leggy blonde, slinky red dress..."  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 06, 2010, 05:01:05 AM

Best line of the series so far: From the Ex-Files: When Grant (James Callis) is asked who he's seeing when he hallucinates, "Tall, leggy blonde, slinky red dress..."  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Oh oh oh ...

NOW I get it....

awesome, for real Heart awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 09:04:09 AM

Necroing, but new episodes start Monday - July 11 at 8pm.  Along with Warehouse 13 right after.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:12 AM

And Eureka gets shitcanned.

Enjoy it while it lasts, the winter 2012 season will be its last.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:55 AM

WTF.....

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 11:49:02 AM

The Syfy Channel .  swamp poop

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 12:05:51 PM

Isn't warehouse 13 the same production group?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 12:10:18 PM

Don't know. Warehouse 13 got picked up for another season, but Eureka gets axed. I don't get it.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 12:11:14 PM

They need more money to make movies like Giant Snail vs Mega Seagull.   why so serious?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 12:46:52 PM

Don't know. Warehouse 13 got picked up for another season, but Eureka gets axed. I don't get it.

Welcome to how Farscape fans felt.

You'll see W13 shitcanned as well in the next year or so.  Probably in favor of more wrestling.  The channel will then change its name to SF

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:15 PM

WTF.....

Seriously.  WTF.  Syfy's only ratings all year round from our house come from Eureka and W13.  This actually fucking pisses me off.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 12:52:45 PM

Found this tidbit on wiki

On August 8, 2011, it was announced that Eureka would be cancelled after five seasons. Syfy gave this statement “After painstaking consideration, we have had to make the difficult business decision to not order a season six of Eureka. But Eureka is not over yet. There is a new holiday episode this December and 12 stellar episodes set to debut next year, marking its fifth season and six memorable years on Syfy. The 2012 episodes are some of the best we’ve seen, and will bring this great series to a satisfying end. We are very grateful to Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia, their team of incredible writers, and an amazing cast and crew who have consistently delivered a series we continue to be very proud of. We thank the fans for their support of this show and know they will enjoy its final season in 2012.“

The following day, Eureka writer Amy Berg elaborated about the reason for the cancellation on twitter. "Everyone is asking why. It's simple, really. We are the network's golden child in every way, except profit margins. Fact is, Eureka is an expensive show to make and we could not maintain the quality of our show with the cuts it would take to make us profitable for Syfy's new parent company. Our creative execs at Syfy fought hard to keep us. Trust me, they LOVE us. We just couldn't make the numbers work."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 12:55:49 PM

And sanctuary gets to live.  swamp poop

Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 02:50:19 PM

And sanctuary gets to live.  swamp poop

Sanctuary is done against a green screen, so has very little in the way of set budgets.  :)  But I agree, Eureka > Sanctuary in terms of entertainment.  

The most annoying part of this is how they did it - the people involved found out about it through social media at the same time the fans did.  

Edit: I am inequality sign challenged!
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 03:02:20 PM

Found this tidbit on wiki

[...]The 2012 episodes are some of the best we’ve seen, and will bring this great series to a satisfying end.[...]
Emphasis mine. If they pull this off, I am ok with the cancelation. I HATE shows that end a season on an obvious pitch to get renewed for another season (Reaper, Lie to me, Flash Forward and many many many many many many more.]

Not that I am bitter or anything.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 04:03:57 PM

I really liked Lie to Me, stupid Fox.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 07:38:16 AM

From what I've read the cast and crew found about about the cancellation with only two or three weeks left on the shooting schedule for season 5. Coming up with a good ending in that time frame are really bad.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 02:45:29 PM

The cancellation is still bullshit, but just saw this come across twitter from one of the producers

jaimepaglia
Thrilled that our network and studio are giving us another episode to make a #Eureka series finale. The fans and show deserve it. Thank you.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 03:47:54 AM

After my initial froth, I decided that I'm okay with it ending as long as they do the end justice.  It *has* been on for a few years now. 

Over the past few years I have been whittling down the number of shows we watch, with Eureka/W13 in the summer and House/Fringe the rest of the time.  With House likely going into its last season next year, and Fringe teetering on cancellation every year, I suppose this is the reasoning I need to just start cutting out cable in the next year or so. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 06:27:53 AM

I'm not ok with it, its a fun show that always makes me smile, no matter how stupid it gets. I don't want more "Reality" TV, or ghost shows or wrestling.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 06:32:11 AM

I'm not ok with it, its a fun show that always makes me smile, no matter how stupid it gets. I don't want more "Reality" TV, or ghost shows or wrestling.

A-fucking-MEN. What the hell happened to the evening sitcom or the prime time drama? Replaced by human cartoons.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:57 AM

Human cartoons are extremely cheap and get as much or better ratings.  Why the hell would any tv network spend more money for less viewers.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 08:33:03 AM

Those complaining about the shift to 'human cartoons' forgot or never learned that TV is an advertisement delivery system.  It's not about the shows as much as we'd really, really like it to be.

Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 09:30:15 AM

Those complaining about the shift to 'human cartoons' forgot or never learned that TV is an advertisement delivery system.  It's not about the shows as much as we'd really, really like it to be.

What does this have to do with it? A good show gets ads, regardless if it's a caricature of some homeless orange people with silly accents, or a comedian with a show about nothing. I will agree that profits mean cutting shows with bigger budgets. I miss the days of the sitcom: Cheers, Night Court, hell even M*A*S*H ... Things took a turn after Seinfeld though... I blame the Real World and normal tv's bastardization of it... hell even Mtv's bastardization of it after the second season.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 09:34:06 AM

Human cartoons are extremely cheap and get as much or better ratings.  Why the hell would any tv network spend more money for less viewers.

Don't care!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 10:11:15 AM

I had revenue in there at first and changed what I was saying to take it out. I should have left it, it made more sense.

Yes, it's all about the Benjamens.  Jerry Seinfield & the Friends cast were getting millions per episode. Millions that could have been kept in the company's sphere instead each week.  Not only that but with reality you also get to delete writers and cut a lot of the set designers, costumers and other overhead as well.  It's all-around win for the company.

It'll stay this way until people stop watching or there's a shift to something else we haven't yet conceived.  I wouldn't expect to see the return of the days of the sitcom any time soon, though.

Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:23 AM

I had revenue in there at first and changed what I was saying to take it out. I should have left it, it made more sense.

Yes, it's all about the Benjamens.  Jerry Seinfield & the Friends cast were getting millions per episode. Millions that could have been kept in the company's sphere instead each week.  Not only that but with reality you also get to delete writers and cut a lot of the set designers, costumers and other overhead as well.  It's all-around win for the company.

It'll stay this way until people stop watching or there's a shift to something else we haven't yet conceived.  I wouldn't expect to see the return of the days of the sitcom any time soon, though.

Oh I don't know... how else do you explain Two and a Half Men being still on the air?  why so serious?

I figure it's mainly due to the fact that there is no other sitcoms out there and people are clinging to the last vestiges of an antiquated design.

And by the way, I completely understand why TV has gone to shit in programming, I agree with what you are saying. I am more pissed off that society accepts this drivel and continues to follow it unconditionally. Sometimes I wonder if I am missing something - I watched AN episode of Jersey Shore. I was open-minded about it as well but still did not see the draw at all to it. Nothing about it was salient with me, though most of the facebook people on my list remark about it, and other empty shows, all the fucking time. The only thing keeping me from dropping them off my list is the fact that they post other shit I am slightly interested in and the fact that I have some nostalgic strangle hold around my throat for well over 25 years.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 11, 2011, 11:07:14 AM

After my initial froth, I decided that I'm okay with it ending as long as they do the end justice.  It *has* been on for a few years now. 

Over the past few years I have been whittling down the number of shows we watch, with Eureka/W13 in the summer and House/Fringe the rest of the time.  With House likely going into its last season next year, and Fringe teetering on cancellation every year, I suppose this is the reasoning I need to just start cutting out cable in the next year or so. 

See....  I don't think there has ever been a better time to watch TV.  The explosion in cable channels moved away from three big networks shooting at the lowest common denominator and gave us the era of niche TV.

FX has been producing great shows for years.  The Shield, Rescue Me, Sons of Anarchy, Sunny, Justified, Louie, Archer, the League and so on.  AMC has given us Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and Mad Men.  HBO and Showtime have both been churning out well regarded shows for a decade, from the Sopranos and the Wire to Game of Thrones or Californication or Dexter.

Any of those shows would have never gotten the green light under the old system.  Reality TV has basically killed off many of the filler shows... the bland sitcoms and many of the me-too! dramas which used to be cut in the first season or two. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:30 AM

The draw of Jersey Shore is "i wish i was them so i could party all the time and everyone would pay attention to everything i do".  Specially that shaved ewok, teenage girls look at her and think "if a fat ugly obnoxious midget can be rich and famous why can't i".  It's pure escapist fantasy.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Eureka  
Jump to: