Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Spore - Maxis - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spore - Maxis - PC  (Read 27310 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 10:39:20 PM

I haven't played much in space yet because I got bored and wandered off to play EvE or something.

This sentence is hilarious.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 04:18:07 AM

I haven't played much in space yet because I got bored and wandered off to play EvE or something.

Play in space.  The first four phases are all a cruel trap set by Will Wright to keep you from getting to the real game.

Introducing species still in the tribal phase to pew-pew is almost as hilarious as using your terraforming tools as WMD.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008, 11:37:10 AM

I like to set up the monolith, wait for them to just get into space age, then bomb them.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 01:44:08 PM

I don't know. It feels so much more evil to ruin their planet with terraforming tools.  awesome, for real
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 03:01:56 PM

I don't know. It feels so much more evil to ruin their planet with terraforming tools.  awesome, for real

Inconvenient Truthing my enemies is one of my favorite ways to kill them, although it's less efficient when you're just trying to exterminate a troublemaker. It's also a good way to clear out tribal/civilized planets, since bombing 30 tribal villages sucks, even if it only takes one bomb each.

If only the Scientist superweapon didn't cause half the galaxy to want your ass on a platter.  undecided
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #40 on: September 15, 2008, 02:56:31 PM

I'm enjoying it, and I don't particularly care for the Sims. Yeah, the tribal and civ phases could use a little more depth.

I would like to revise this statement. The only truly brilliant part of this game is the cell phase. Every other phase, when I'm playing it, I find myself wondering why I'm not just playing another game that does that phase better. I hate the space phase, I think.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008, 05:07:53 PM

I got to spend a few hours with the space phase yesterday and I didn't really enjoy it either.  I tried attacking a neighboring planet and got absolutely stomped by the defenders.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 06:23:35 PM

The space phase frustrates me because I don't like being in the middle of doing something and having my homebase be all OH MY GOD PIRATES HALP HALP or whatever. It's EXTRA irritating when some dipshits decide they want to go to war with me. I JUST WANT TO TRADE SPICE LEAVE ME ALONE.

God Save the Horn Players
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 06:30:03 PM

I would like to revise this statement. The only truly brilliant part of this game is the cell phase. Every other phase, when I'm playing it, I find myself wondering why I'm not just playing another game that does that phase better. I hate the space phase, I think.

The cell phase is just fl0w with more powerups.  :)  I like it, but I'm more a fan of the creature and space phases.  Well...  That and dinking around in the creators.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 07:20:33 PM

Calling the Spore cell phase fl0w with powerups is like calling Half-Life Quake with a crowbar.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 12:10:47 AM

Calling the Spore cell phase fl0w with powerups is like calling Half-Life Quake with a crowbar.

So, it's accurate?

HAHAHAHAHAHA SO EASY.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 09:10:56 AM

The crowbar makes all the difference.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #47 on: September 19, 2008, 08:00:22 AM

So this crow walks into a bar....
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 21, 2008, 01:50:20 AM

I stuck it out for the space stage which made me want to play Sins.  Grrrr!  I really want to like Spore, but I don't.  I'll probably keep it installed to mess with the creator when I'm bored, but other than that... blah.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:16 AM

Congratulations, you are EA's target demographic.  I predict Spore will get both expansions and content packs like The Sims does.  Expansions add new areas and activities, like pets and college life and running a store, and content packs just add clothes and furniture, like the Ikea pack.  I'm actually cynical enough to wager that Spore was shipped with gaping holes by design, and I use the number of The Sims expansions to date as Exhibit A.  Welcome to "It's Not A Barbie Dollhouse, It's the GI Joe Action Base", assholes.

Your cynicism is completely justified! There are command line switches to access an expanded Cell Creator (functional, but useless, as no custom content shows up in Cell Stage) and a totally non-functional Flora Creator (which I'm sure worked at some point, but was most likely intentionally disabled for release).

I'm sure the Flora Creator will be functional when they release "Spore: Flora Mania".

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 11:34:01 AM

Congratulations, you are EA's target demographic.  I predict Spore will get both expansions and content packs like The Sims does.  Expansions add new areas and activities, like pets and college life and running a store, and content packs just add clothes and furniture, like the Ikea pack.  I'm actually cynical enough to wager that Spore was shipped with gaping holes by design, and I use the number of The Sims expansions to date as Exhibit A.  Welcome to "It's Not A Barbie Dollhouse, It's the GI Joe Action Base", assholes.

Your cynicism is completely justified! There are command line switches to access an expanded Cell Creator (functional, but useless, as no custom content shows up in Cell Stage) and a totally non-functional Flora Creator (which I'm sure worked at some point, but was most likely intentionally disabled for release).

I'm sure the Flora Creator will be functional when they release "Spore: Flora Mania".
I suspect it was cut for time -- Spore was pushed back a LOT -- but don't doubt those will show up as the bulk (or totality) of the main content of the first expansion pack.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 04, 2008, 06:18:17 PM

On first glance it really reminds of a SNES platformer called E.V.O. then it turns into Megalomania, both fun games in their prime. EDIT: The SNES game I'm talking about you started out a kind of trilobyte creature  and as you devoured your way through the ocean you gradually evolved gaining new skills and body parts until eventually you became a land creature and so on.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:25:46 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #52 on: October 05, 2008, 10:36:45 AM

I uninstalled it ages ago. I'm sure whoever that was yammering at me in the other thread will come in and tell me that I'm just trying to assuage my guilt at having been a naughty pirate, but the fact is that the whole thing just gets rather laborious in short order. (I can see your aircraft and tanks zooming around, you fucking colonists can kill your own god damned 5 space deer to prevent a plague.) Now EVO, that was a fun game.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 05, 2008, 12:15:35 PM

Wow you sure are clever for having stolen it then! Pay no attention to your detractors! They are just jealous of your incredible cleverness!!11!

edit: degreened
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:00:40 AM by Reg »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06:27 AM

Can a pirated version even get buddy content?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 06, 2008, 10:53:23 AM

I uninstalled it ages ago. I'm sure whoever that was yammering at me in the other thread will come in and tell me that I'm just trying to assuage my guilt at having been a naughty pirate, but the fact is that the whole thing just gets rather laborious in short order. (I can see your aircraft and tanks zooming around, you fucking colonists can kill your own god damned 5 space deer to prevent a plague.) Now EVO, that was a fun game.

Defensive much?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 06, 2008, 01:21:07 PM

Can a pirated version even get buddy content?
I don't know. I'm still waiting to see if I can log in seperate spore accounts to the same install (like, say, me and my son's).
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #57 on: October 06, 2008, 03:26:08 PM

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 07, 2008, 12:31:42 AM

Nice screenie  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #59 on: October 07, 2008, 02:44:16 AM

Wow you sure are clever for having stolen it then! Pay no attention to your detractors! They are just jealous of your incredible cleverness!!11!

Piracy is awesome. Spore is stupid. Fuck you.

You have twelve hundred posts and I don't even know who the hell you are.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 07, 2008, 03:14:36 AM

Piracy is still what brought us DRM and so you fucked us plenty already, you cheap little fuck.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 07, 2008, 03:47:53 AM

And that's just another reason that I so deeply, deeply admire you! I mean, you're so terribly famous on a website forum with a urine coloured name and a title that made you sulk and run away for a few months and cool stuff like that! And what am I? 1200 posts and nothing!!!1!!

I just hope that my supply of exclamation marks holds out!!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:01:10 AM by Reg »
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: October 07, 2008, 03:50:56 AM

I hate that green shit. Figured I'd need to say it for a 5th or 6th time. /snarl
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 07, 2008, 04:00:01 AM

Sorry, I always kind of hated it too which is why I never used it.  For some reason I decided to try it out this time. Consider that experiment ended.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 07, 2008, 06:44:36 AM

Piracy is still what brought us DRM and so you fucked us plenty already, you cheap little fuck.

DRM is just a scheme to allow pirates to feel good about stealing shit.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 11, 2008, 07:43:50 PM

DRM is just a scheme to allow pirates to feel good about stealing shit.
It works, too.  I used to feel so dirty about buying all my games.  Then they started to place nasties on my computer and have annoying hoops to jump through.  I got rid of all my guilt by downloading the clean, craked versions.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 11, 2008, 11:27:32 PM

And that's just another reason that I so deeply, deeply admire you! I mean, you're so terribly famous on a website forum with a urine coloured name and a title that made you sulk and run away for a few months and cool stuff like that! And what am I? 1200 posts and nothing!!!1!!

I just hope that my supply of exclamation marks holds out!!

Give it up, you will never convince a thief that he or she is wrong for being a thief. They can justify anything.

P.S. Buying the game and then downloading the cracked version for clean installation. I see no problem with this. They key point though is the not stealing part.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:29:15 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #67 on: October 12, 2008, 10:29:12 AM

DRM is technically lazy.  They could've released the client, toolset and settled on online activation for every session um like an MMO.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 12, 2008, 09:34:37 PM

DRM is technically lazy.  They could've released the client, toolset and settled on online activation for every session um like an MMO.
Which is great unless you are on dial-up or have no internet at home. Internet ain't cheap, and there is a recession on.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 14, 2008, 03:35:28 AM

Or want to play a 5 year old game where the publisher has either gone out of business/been bought up and discontinued support.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Spore - Maxis - PC  
Jump to: