Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Umm...Tennis anyone? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Umm...Tennis anyone?  (Read 4451 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: August 28, 2008, 12:07:37 PM

Yeah, well, the lack of topics dedicated to it should be a strong enough hint, but...Anyone here like to watch tennis? (men's or women's). I've been an avid watcher since the late eighties, and it's my favourite sport beside football (the real one, that you play with your feet :P).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:08:57 PM

ACK!

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:07:25 PM

Yah, I'm a tennis player and fan.  Rare breed nowadays.  They wanted to tear down some of the courts at the club I played at in order to add more parking and expand the yoga studio.

-Rasix
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 03:00:12 PM

Tennis is a really underrated sport, there's a lot of psychology involved as well as the athleticism.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:48:24 AM

So, Agassi's mullet was actually a wig. That disappoints me nearly as much as his meth use.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:41:12 AM

Yeah, well, the lack of topics dedicated to it should be a strong enough hint, but...Anyone here like to watch tennis? (men's or women's). I've been an avid watcher since the late eighties, and it's my favourite sport beside football (the real one, that you play with your feet :P).
I like to watch pictures of Anna Kournikova. Does that count?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:52:28 PM

Probably my favorite sport to play these days, especially since I've gotten back into shape.  Tempted to join one of the leagues around here, but just haven't done it since I've mostly been playing golf or in a flag football league.  The flag football is fun, but it just isn't the same (no contact :( ).  I  do know I need to look at getting some up to date gear as my rackets are probably 10 years old.  I don't even know what's good anymore.

Can't stand to watch it, though.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 09:20:05 PM

I play tennis a lot, been having fun lately as I feel my game is suddenly becoming better after a long plateau at 4.0-ish play. Tendonitis in my Achilles' is starting to be an issue, though. I sometimes enjoy watching it, but it's an off-and-on thing for me. Depends a lot on the personalities of the players and whether there's an interesting contrast in styles (like Federer/Nadal).
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 07:07:17 PM

I haven't played in a year after somewhat peaking (won a 4.0 singles tournament without dropping a set or serve I think).  The toll on my body was just ridiculous.  Every week something new hurt (mostly knees, abdominals), and I was starting to have really bad shoulder problems serving. 

The real reason I quit is that the social aspects of it started to annoy me.  Sure, I could do the club men's league, but that only ran for about 10 weeks at a time and it's once a week.  Plus it's doubles and singles, and I hate doubles.  Oh, and if you want to play regularly, you really have to play doubles with people. I dislike doubles enough that I passive aggressively got myself replaced from my weekly doubles match. Also with tennis on the wane, it's very difficult to find a regular singles match (or just a hitting partner) with someone my own age.  And.. Tucson, ever play a 3 setter in 100+ degree weather.  It's dandy.

I would like to get back to it, but right now with an infant, it's hard to commit the time to it.  And unless I can put in 2 hours 2-3 times a week, I'll just get pissed off with my game. 

If you want some advice, don't do league unless you're really sure of where you're currently rated. I had no idea when I did a mixed doubles league that I was a 4, so in a 7.0 league I had to be placed with the 3.0 on the team.  And boy was she ever a 3. Worse player than my wife and my wife has played less than a handful of real tennis matches.  I was incredibly pissed off at the end of that league and the experience was just miserable. 

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:16:20 AM

Yeah, it's one of those sports where matching with people who are just right for your game is incredibly crucial. It's not even that you need roughly the same ability, it needs to be a compatible style of game. I play a slice-and-power game mostly with relatively little topspin; a player who relies on a lot of topspin and placement can be a frustrating matchup for me. I completely accept it in a league, but I wouldn't want to hit with that person for fun that often.

I do like doubles, and it's often easier to find players if you'll do doubles--many people dislike the feeling of exposure and intensity that comes with singles. Plus doubles is a bit easier on the body--when I've had a hard singles game of 3 sets or so, my 45-year old body really lets me know about it. I'm lucky, there's a group of men and women at work who play doubles and we're reasonably evenly matched. Getting harder for us to find younger players who will join us, though--I think the sport is dying a bit for under-35 people.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 10:21:23 AM

Oh, Miloš.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Umm...Tennis anyone?  
Jump to: