Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:04:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Art Games - Thanks But No Thanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Art Games - Thanks But No Thanks  (Read 21533 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: August 27, 2008, 12:05:58 AM

Art Games - Thanks But No Thanks

Submitted by Margalis.

Every so often some corner of the video game world works itself into a tizzy trying to answer important-sounding questions like "are games art?" or "can games be art?" Most recently, spurred on by games such as Space Giraffe, Everyday Shooter and Braid, this discussion has introduced a new entry into our vernacular: the "art game."

My purpose here is to argue that there is no such thing as an "art game" and that the use of the term is a poor idea for a variety of reasons.

» Read More
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:20:16 AM

Very good article I must say. Though I think you know you're basicly talking to marketing types who understand all this and don't care, or gamers who know all this and are just as annoyed.

Minor points:

I think you could use better examples than torture and sexual harassment; how you've used them there strikes me awkwardly. I don't think the intention is to belittle feminist criticisms of the seriousness of sexual harassment, but it does come off a little like that.

Typo with Don DeLillo I assume.

And if you attend arthouses and watch "art films" you know that art films are not so much great films or artistic films as they are films with artistic pretensions and recurring stylistic choices.

You forgot the and/or "in a foreign language, has no marketing budget, or whatevers". There are great films lumped under "art" just as there are great films lumped under "hollwood shit".

EDIT: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200107/myers is a good read. Never read it before, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 04:50:42 AM by lamaros »
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 11:40:21 AM

Interesting. It's good to read a well-thought rebuttal.

Something I've noticed generally is as games progress, their sequels tend to play better, and look and sound better, than their predecessors. Not always, but mostly. They're also rarely innovative, whereas back in The Day, sequels were all about innovation. It wasn't just making things look, sound, and play better. It was about adding new stuff, experimenting, and sometimes failing. But gamers were much more forgiving back in The Day, because the market wasn't so glutted.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but Braid looks like a side-scroller. 'Kay. It looks nice, sounds nice, and it probably plays nice. But if you're gonna call something "art," you gotta do a little more than that. Even that grainy little B-movie "Star Wars" invented a few new techniques of cinematography.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:28:14 PM

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but Braid looks like a side-scroller. 'Kay. It looks nice, sounds nice, and it probably plays nice. But if you're gonna call something "art," you gotta do a little more than that.

This is one of those times where it would probably help to play it first.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 02:07:40 PM

I think you could use better examples than torture and sexual harassment; how you've used them there strikes me awkwardly. I don't think the intention is to belittle feminist criticisms of the seriousness of sexual harassment, but it does come off a little like that.

I threw in the second bit so people wouldn't accuse me of making it overtly political. Probably could have had better examples.

EDIT: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200107/myers is a good read. Never read it before, thanks.

It was turned into a very good book which is well worth reading. Called "A Reader's Manifesto". Or maybe "The Reader's Manifesto."

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:45:57 PM

Good article, Marg.  Damn hippies need to get off our lawn.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:58:57 PM

To be honest the whole 'its not art just cos some art fags say it is' is a cliche in itself.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:45:26 PM

Boston.com recently ranked The Thing as the scariest movie of all time

I've been saying this forever.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:15:18 AM

Good piece. I liked it.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:01:46 PM

To be honest the whole 'its not art just cos some art fags say it is' is a cliche in itself.

Yep.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Geralog
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:15:36 AM

Necroposting here, sorry.

I like the article though. I think the real dark cloud over the 'are-games-art' debate is that most art games suck. For every talented game Auteur, you get about as many weird brother-in-laws going on about how the world needs a game about the plight of Esperanto speakers or something just as nebulously poignant.

A devilish combination of slightly bored and quite hungry
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:23:18 PM

I just saw this topic at the top and read it (including the article) without looking at the date. I was going to post a response and then as I scrolled down I saw that I already had over a year ago. Godfuckingdamnit.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:06:45 AM

Were you going to post exactly the same thing you posted a year ago?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Art Games - Thanks But No Thanks  
Jump to: