Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:08:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: So, how casual is it? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, how casual is it?  (Read 7154 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: August 25, 2008, 02:45:45 PM

Can I jump in, kick ass for 20 mins, and jump out?

Can I level reasonably if I play 20 mins every couple nights?

PS: Fuck you schild and morfiend for making me even consider it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:00:50 PM

Can I jump in, kick ass for 20 mins, and jump out?

Maybe.  Depends on where you logged out in relation to the RVR area and where the zerg is at in that moment for the open field stuff.  Depends on what the queues will be like for your server at the time and level range you're logging in for.  Most folks will cap fairly quickly, so the L40 stuff should be quick on the queue tun around unless there's some horrible, horrible pop imbalance.  Or you're in the wrong zone for the Scenarios that are being queued. (Biggest flaw in their system, IMO.  Let everyone queue for all the scenarios regardless of what area they're in.)

Can I level reasonably if I play 20 mins every couple nights?

What's your definition of reasonably?  You can level pretty quick in PVP if you're winning.  If not it'll be a long and painful process.  If you're going the PvE route.. well, it'll take a lot longer than getting a WoW toon to 40 did at release using the same play schedule

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:25:46 PM

Thanks for the answers.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:44:55 PM

20 mins is pushing it.  A scenerio is 15mins, so you'd have only a 5 minute window to hit one.  Varies a lot on population.  PQ kinda relies on momentum to build enough people to actually finish it.  You would have to be lucky to do it in 20min.  You could solo PQ exp (Influence) no problem, but its slow.  I can't say much about RvR because I only recently been able to do without crashing.  And of course there is the standard Quests.

I wouldn't want to log-in unless I had 45 to an hour.

"Me am play gods"
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:48:55 PM

You could get through most PQ's in 20 - 40 mins.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:59:36 PM

20 mins is pushing it.  A scenerio is 15mins, so you'd have only a 5 minute window to hit one.  Varies a lot on population.  PQ kinda relies on momentum to build enough people to actually finish it.  You would have to be lucky to do it in 20min.  You could solo PQ exp (Influence) no problem, but its slow.  I can't say much about RvR because I only recently been able to do without crashing.  And of course there is the standard Quests.

So, is there a big reward for finishing it? Or do you get the reward gradually?

Basically, I don't want to feel like I have to stick around.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 04:03:15 PM

20 minutes every other night isn't going to get you very far. If you hit queues that were popping immediately and you won and fair number of them, you'd probably be ok, but I'm not sure this genre is really geared towards the '20 minutes at a time crowd'.

I usually get in 2-3 hours a night a couple times a week and I was keeping up pretty decently with the friends I play with, but I think you'd struggle while playing at 20 minute intervals.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:05:26 PM

At the end there's an average of 3 rewards handed out.  Everyone who participated and is still in the area gets an automatic 1-1000 roll generated for them.  This roll is modified by your "Contribution bonus" (I still have no idea how that's figured, but I think it's primarily damage done)

Even if you have the #1 slot for the contribution bonus (about +400 to your roll) you can still get a shitty roll and lose to some slackass who stood around and hit 2-3 mobs in total.  This happened to me several times this weekend.  Highest contrib 3 times in a row, got rolls of 100, 250 and 375.. meaning I lost to rolls of 850-1300.  awesome, for real

If you win you get a 'loot sack' which you then open to pick from a list of about 10 goodies.  The top item is usually a really good quality green item for that level range, but there's also crafting mats and cold hard cash as options.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 04:07:51 PM

How much is the bonus worth vs. the points/time.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 04:08:36 PM

So, is there a big reward for finishing it? Or do you get the reward gradually?

Basically, I don't want to feel like I have to stick around.

There's sort of two rewards, the influence rewards, which once you hit the max of that you can wander off and get your stuff from the influence dude, but when the PQ completes, a chest drops and everyone involved at all that's still in the area gets a roll (modified by how much you participated, apparently) and a number of people (I *think* it varies on how many people are around) get a bonus prize from that, although it seemed to me it pretty much was a "nice extra" rather than anything you absolutely had to stick around for.

I agree that I'd probably say an hour of time is a good chunk, 20 minutes is kinda like one BG and that's it. I like to play anything for an hour at least, though, even shit like Bejeweled, so I'm probably not a good judge anyway.

Fake Edit: Other people answered while I was typing this but I don't care, nyah!

God Save the Horn Players
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 04:17:38 PM

How much is the bonus worth vs. the points/time.

Well, there's no contribution/ time bonus, so I'm guessing you're talking about influence/ time.  It's not worth worrying about, really. Just something nice to have so you've got a little armor upgrade when others are using quest rewards or old RR items.   The influence rewards are usually a lot better as they're (I think) always a blue item vs the 'high end' green items of PQ loot.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 04:23:30 PM

The rewards aren't wholly dependent on the number of people participating - I did two Troll Country PQs 5 people last night, and we all got rewards in both of them. I came in first on one of them and had my choice of a purple belt, a blue weapon, and some other random stuff. The belt was *very* nice, it had resistance bonuses of like 40-50, where regular stuff of that level was in the teens.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:32 PM

And you can level purely on PVP?

And PVP is fun?
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 04:32:34 PM

you could do nothing but pvp scenerios and still keep lvling.  Is it fun, well I think its fun, but uhmm hard to say if that means you would find it fun.

However, just like WoW, scenerios are going to be full of farm teams.  And just like in WoW being in a pug and being stomped on by a full guild team pretty much sucks no matter how you look at it.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 07:16:45 PM

I probably wouldn't want to play this game without having a stable group of players to play it with and a decent amount of time to contribute to it.  If you play 20 minutes every other day you will likely be missing out on tons of PQ content as everyone out levels you, and RvR is just not going to be fun without some sort of cohesive group once people start organizing them.  I would say the game is strikingly casual in potential (a solo player can join anything, anytime, anywhere, and PQs are great for solo players if the zones are heavily populated), but in reality will be an excersize in frustration.  Maybe this will not come to pass, certainly some speculation here.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 08:24:57 PM

How about 2 people? Can they get by?  With just PUG's occassionally on the side?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 08:32:29 PM

How about 2 people? Can they get by?  With just PUG's occassionally on the side?

if you go healer/tank yes you should be fine.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 07:52:21 AM

You can play this game solo, with a group, and even PVP 100% to level/make money.

Its casual friendly in the aspect that you aren't forced to group, and you can level at a decent rate. It isn't friendly in the aspect of having higher level friends game with you. The game has 4 tiers , one for every 10 levels, so a level 30 can't come to the level 10 zone to help.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 10:45:55 AM

It's a very casual game in my opinion.

I even wrote a review about my time and talked about it somewhere in there.
http://waaaghhammer.com/2008/08/26/review-of-the-preview/

Anyway, basically you can get something doing in even a 30 min. gaming session.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: So, how casual is it?  
Jump to: