Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:17:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Open and Core. SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS SHIT. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Open and Core. SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS SHIT.  (Read 13978 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 24, 2008, 11:31:12 PM

Ok, so I made a post saying I understand it. Ok, I don't

I'm not going to set the server type IN STONE until I get a LIST of what each one means. Not a pro/con. I just want something like this.

Core
-

Open
-

I don't understand the fucking rules. No one discuss here, there's a thread for that. I just want it explained. Goddamn Mythic.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 11:50:03 PM

They keep changing the rules so it's kind of hard to answer your question properly at this point in time.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:51:32 PM

Core:
1. You are unflagged in the PVE areas, if you attack or heal some one who is PVP flagged, you will also be flagged.
2. When you go in a RVR area, or in a Scenario you will be boosted up in level to 2/3rd max of your current tier.
3. When you level out of a tier, you may go back to the PVE parts of the zone just fine, but if you flag for PVP, or enter a RVR area, you will be turned in to a chicken, which basically makes you a 1 hit kill.

Open:
1. Like Core but you are ALWAYS flagged for PVP.
2. There is no level boost in open world RVR, only in scenarios.
3. If you return to a lower tier zone, since you are always flagged, you will always be a chicken, so you are unable to explore or help a lower level friend with anything.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:52:24 PM

Oh wow. These rulesets suck ass.

Neither one is good.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:02:39 AM

Supposedly as well in Open a character of any level entering the opposing side's Chapter 1 area (not Tier 1 area) will be turned into a Chicken.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:05:20 AM

I don't understand how these design decisions came to be. It is, in fact, the biggest set of flaws in the game.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:12:18 AM

It all seems to be an extreme anti-ganking mindset gone wrong.  Open just allows you to go into others PvE zones when you are at the correct level, but penalizes you for not being able to help out your lowbie friends whatsoever.  In the end, the anti-ganking concept remains untouched....except for those level 20s camping level 12s in their PvE areas of couse.

Open seems like epic fail at this point IMO.  I'm absolutely sure things will change however.  Mythic is going to have half of the population join open servers, not because of any information about WAR itself, but just because of WoW's PvP/PvE server ruleset split.  Then, when customers get pissed about the ridiculousness of open servers, things will certainly have to change.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:13:56 AM by trias_e »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 12:13:27 AM

I don't understand how these design decisions came to be. It is, in fact, the biggest set of flaws in the game.
Instead of doing the hard work of making a game that let's players move up *and* down in level/ability so they can compete "fairly" in all the Tiers they came up with this bizarre chicken mechanic to make sure the lower levels aren't simply steamrolled by the higher levels. Doing it the hard way would also make all the RvR areas "meaningful" all the time unlike the way it is now where the lower levels ones will mostly empty in a few months except for alts and a slow trickle of incoming new players.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 12:15:22 AM

Well put.  These rulesets will change shortly or WAR will fail.  Honestly, it's not that hard to see coming, and it's not that hard to fix.  It's a very big deal, so I wouldn't decide whether one wants to play open vs. core at the moment.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 12:36:26 AM

Core:
1. You are unflagged in the PVE areas, if you attack or heal some one who is PVP flagged, you will also be flagged.
2. When you go in a RVR area, or in a Scenario you will be boosted up in level to 2/3rd max of your current tier.
3. When you level out of a tier, you may go back to the PVE parts of the zone just fine, but if you flag for PVP, or enter a RVR area, you will be turned in to a chicken, which basically makes you a 1 hit kill.

Open:
1. Like Core but you are ALWAYS flagged for PVP.
2. There is no level boost in open world RVR, only in scenarios.
3. If you return to a lower tier zone, since you are always flagged, you will always be a chicken, so you are unable to explore or help a lower level friend with anything.

WAR is harsh. I was leaning toward Open because of the complete Tome of Knowledge it provides but... I'm also the guy who enjoys learning about a game and helping out the newer players. Sounds like the system will depend on a constant flow of new characters starting out in the beginner areas.

Core, OTOH, reads as being restrictive at every level. I must be missing something, since I haven't been a part of beta.

edit: I'm sure this will all change before official launch anyhow.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:48:35 AM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 01:12:33 AM

You're not missing anything. As Trippy said, they're changing the rules. Right now they simply make no sense.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 03:56:32 AM

Reading the forums some more I now don't think they are going to change things. There's confusion from the players but the responses from Mythic people have been consistent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 03:56:59 AM

Maybe I'll try and get Mark on the phone today to explain it.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 07:23:21 AM

The Core ruleset seems reasonable to me, although ideally you would only chickenize if you actually attacked a player or buffed a flagged player or something.  It does sort of suck how you can't explore the old zones (fully) without becoming a chicken.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 09:54:17 AM

The Core ruleset seems reasonable to me, although ideally you would only chickenize if you actually attacked a player or buffed a flagged player or something.  It does sort of suck how you can't explore the old zones (fully) without becoming a chicken.

That is exactly how it does work on Core.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 09:59:32 AM

It's pretty much the same as the WoW PvP & Normal servers, with the added twist that if you go pvp flagged in a zone below your level you turn into a chicken.
As such, there's no real point to the Open servers at all.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 11:16:33 AM

If the masses understand that the Core server provides a ton of option for PvP as well as PvE than there is no problem.  If they get the idea that Core = PvE and Open = PvP than they could be a problem. 

In my opinion OpenRvR should be the RP server. Because once you subtract griefing (which I don't think their will be much of given the layout of the zones), the only other reason for it to exist is because meeting enemy that you can't kill upsets "WAR is everywhere" purests. Which is fine. I am glad they will have a place.

"Me am play gods"
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 11:53:09 AM

Yea, so far that is the only meaningful difference from what we have seen... some people just cannot stand seeing an "unflagged" enemy.  Personally I think it will be a non-issue for 90% of the time you play the game if you last more than 2 months, because at the end game everyone is flagged almost all of the time.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 02:44:44 PM

That is exactly how it does work on Core.
No it's not. You can't wander around in the lower Tier RvR areas if you are too high level without turning into a chicken, even if you just wanted to look around and not attack anybody.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 02:52:10 PM

I think you guys are confusing Open and Core. Open is flagged for RvR all the time, thus unable to back to lower tiers. Core is where you can go back to lower levels, but if you get flagged for PvP you turn into aq chicken. The beta servers are all Core. I may have misread this thread, since I am browsing on a Blackberry, but it seems to me there was some confusion about which was which.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 03:05:08 PM

Entering an RvR area in Core auto-flags you for RvR.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 03:11:06 PM

meeting enemy that you can't kill upsets "WAR is everywhere" purests.

You'd think that RP purists would be upset by this "you turn into a chicken for OOC / game balance reasons" mechanic.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 03:12:44 PM

Simple.  Have GW some lore for the chickens.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Me am play gods"
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 09:45:06 PM

meeting enemy that you can't kill upsets "WAR is everywhere" purests.

You'd think that RP purists would be upset by this "you turn into a chicken for OOC / game balance reasons" mechanic.
When I started MMOG's I would have thought RP purists would be upset by any limitation on attacking anyone, anywhere, except for reasonable in-character consequences.  It still occasionally makes me boggle when I see some so-called hardcore RPer in one of these games that runs screaming at the very concept that HE MIGHT POSSIBLY BE HURT by a character that is supposed to be his enemy.

Conclusion: There aren't many real RP purists in MMOG's.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 08:28:50 AM

"Flagging" for pvp is retarded. I think WoW already proved that. Either no world pvp or full world pvp. Those are the options.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 08:37:12 AM

What I'd like is a ruleset as follows:

Always PvP flagged (with inability to attack friendlies, only opposing factions)

Chickened if you enter RvR zones where you are X level above the specified range (7? 10? 15? I dunno)

Chickened if you enter the PvE area of the opposing faction where you are X level above the range. Might only apply to Chapter 1 areas.

Never chickened in your own faction's PvE areas, regardless of level.

Respawn in enemy PvE zones is at distant point, preventing zerging.

=====

The goal here is: allow large groups of level-appropriate warbands to enter the PvE zones of the rival faction and attack opposing players, but give the "native" faction a big advantage in that they can recruit very high-level defenders to come and ward off the invasion.  It's total fun to allow players to attack each other in PvE zones as long as you make it relatively easy to repel the invasion, and don't allow a permanent zerg to form.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 08:40:20 AM

I wouldn't mind to debuff to people who attack noobs X number of levels below them. Something that stacks and increases damage taken and decreases damage output. That would help a bit on the griefing, perhaps. The whole 1 shot kill thing is a bit over the top though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:42:07 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 08:44:33 AM

Chickening shouldn't exist. End of story. Delevel to max of that area. Done. Not complicated.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 08:48:09 AM

People will whine about the gear, but just put a scaling debuff that counteracts the gear or something.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 08:53:26 AM

Delevelling/descaling of gear is also fine. The big thing if you've got world PvP is to prevent high-level gankery, because that kills the game.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 09:18:08 AM

Chickening shouldn't exist. End of story. Delevel to max of that area. Done. Not complicated.

Not complicated to say maybe.  Programming it is probably a whole different problem. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 09:32:25 AM

The item system wasn't designed with "leveling" an item in mind.  As such, you can't "DE-Level" an item.  If things were designed on a % based system instead of straight numbers (like CoH did) then it would be easily accomplished.

Of course, that does away with the "lootz" aspect of things (as a weapon that does x% and adds y% of a stat will do that at ANY level) but that doesn't belong in a PVP-centric game anyway.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 09:40:36 AM

Deleveling works in COH because it doesn't have gear.

Anyway, deleveling in WAR wouldn't be *that* difficult - they'd just need to set (not scale, set.. higher levels have access to better gear in more slots, so scaling it back would be a nightmare) stats to a tierX template, and disallow all skills/morale abilities/tactics that were obtained after that level. Every damage ability scales with level and has no ranks [unlike wow], so that part is not a problem.

-- Z.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 09:43:27 AM

Yes. I don't know why that's such a hard concept to understand. Same goes with the gear - surely there is a max level standard everything can be dropped down to in order to compensate. Or maybe it's the deleveling makes level-restricted gear not work thing - which is pretty simple to get around in the design phase if you care to think about it.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 10:01:35 AM

in the design phase if you care to think about it.

You just hit the problem.

They level you up in scenarios and RVR because that's easy.  You get X HPs at Y level based on your stats.  Your abilites will now do Z damage.  You don't get the abilities you would have gained actually leveling up and your weapon still does shit damage.  (As a level 3 Ranked to 8, my Ironbreaker could wail on an actual 8 or 9 for a good time and do almost NO damage.. so yea I was useless.)

Items and weapons weren't considered for part of the leveling-up at the design stage. As a result they're not going to be able to de-level them using whatever mystical coefficients you all seem to think they can apply.  Particularly since deleveling was something they DIDN'T want to do. (MJ has a few quotes about that somewhere.) Adding any of it in now would create even more headaches in regards to gear.

Deleveling works in COH because it doesn't have gear.

Enhancements are your gear.  They work on percentages rather than straight number buffs.  You don't get a SO that does "+1000 to damage" it does "+25%" so deleveling means it's the same power increase, just that your base damage is lower because of your lower level.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:04:20 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Open and Core. SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS SHIT.  
Jump to: