Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Medical question. Cut my hand open. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Medical question. Cut my hand open.  (Read 46170 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 23, 2008, 06:34:32 PM

So, I just cut my hand by accident on a knife. Sort of. I didn't actually know the knife was there. Picked up a paper towel and it was under it and it sliced into my palm. It's a pretty long gash but super super clean, and barely bled at all. I do not have insurance. I am not going to get stitches. That said, is there anything in particular I should do to deal with it. Right now I've got bandaids holding the wound shut. That said, I took a look and it looks like unless I move it doesn't open, and it only really moves when I grip something hard or use my mouse and have my palm resting. As such, any advice or should I just keep it clean and keep bandaids on it to hold it shut?
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 06:49:26 PM

All advice would likely hinge on the size, location, and deepness of the cut.

General advice would be to go ahead and keep it super clean, don't eat much sugar or drink much alcohol (depresses immune system), and, well, probably go to the fucking hospital.

Unless it's a really small cut and you're just a big pussy.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 06:54:40 PM

You should get some of those adorable little butterfly bandages.  Maybe you can even get them in cool colours.  You could make a fashion statement.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 06:55:50 PM

Post pics, and superglue.

Really, superglue, the insta-setting shit, called CA, just hold it together and glue it shut.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:00:56 PM

Go to a clinic.

Now that that is out of the way, I would suggest using:

http://www.bandaid.com/productList.do?typeId=4#anchor14

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:04:17 PM

Really, superglue, the insta-setting shit, called CA, just hold it together and glue it shut.

DO NOT USE STANDARD SUPER GLUE ON YOUR WOUND!  The chemicals in super glue are very toxic once broken down by your body.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:23:09 PM

DO NOT USE STANDARD SUPER GLUE ON YOUR WOUND!  The chemicals in super glue are very toxic once broken down by your body.

Should someone have to say that?

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:31:40 PM

Should someone have to say that?
[edit] Medical uses
The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together after surgery. In 1964, Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Soon afterward Dr. Harry Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam—reportedly in 1966, cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results. In an interview with Dr. Coover by the Kingsport Times-News, Coover said that the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposable cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battlefield.

“ If somebody had a chest wound or open wound that was bleeding, the biggest problem they had was stopping the bleeding so they could get the patient back to the hospital. And the consequence was—many of them bled to death. So the medics used the spray, stopped the bleeding, and were able to get the wounded back to the base hospital. And many, many lives were saved. ”
—Dr. Harry Coover

The original Eastman formula was not FDA approved for medical use, however, because of a tendency to cause skin irritation and to generate heat. In 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Just don't puddle it or you'll burn the shit out of yourself.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:33:30 PM

if it is fairly shallow and not actively bleeding you can try liquid bandaid.  Otherwise I'd suggest neosporin ointment and tape+gauze.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 08:41:32 PM

if it is fairly shallow and not actively bleeding you can try liquid bandaid.  Otherwise I'd suggest neosporin ointment and tape+gauze.

It wasn't all that shallow, but yea, liquid bandaid working OK thus far.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:13 PM

Tetanus shot and the rest hinges on depth.  If you just hit the superficial tissue, I'd use butterfly bandages to connect regular edges, ice it down with immobilization and some triple antibiotic ointment.  If it's deeper, you'd be silly not to see an MD for assessment and stiches. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 08:52:53 PM

Tetanus shot and the rest hinges on depth.  If you just hit the superficial tissue, I'd use butterfly bandages to connect regular edges, ice it down with immobilization and some triple antibiotic ointment.  If it's deeper, you'd be silly not to see an MD for assessment and stiches. 
Exactly.  Cut my hand open a few years back in just the same way.  Neosporin, bandaids, and immobilization fixed everything good as new after a few weeks.  Still have a scar that is hard to see.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 08:54:32 PM

I dont' know what just superficial means, but I couldn't see muscle, but I wouldn't call it entirely shallow either. The only thing this wound would keep me from doing is play Diablo at length.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 09:05:04 PM

Can you move all of your fingers? Are you bleeding like a pig?

If not, just watch for infection.

This is only, of course, if you absolutely refuse to go to the hospital. I usually do too, so.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 09:11:00 PM

Can you move all of your fingers? Are you bleeding like a pig?

If not, just watch for infection.

This is only, of course, if you absolutely refuse to go to the hospital. I usually do too, so.

I have full hand movement, there's almost no pain, there wasn't any when it was cut either. I mean, it was a cleeeeeeeeeeeean cut. We're talking almost no blood as the skin naturally pushed back together. I had to pull it apart to make sure the bleeding wasn't heavy. Knife was clean also, hadn't cut anything with it since cleaning it last.

Honestly, I'm not worried. I'd planned on cleaning it and putting a liquid bandage on it, just wanted to know if there was something strange/off the beaten path that works better.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 09:55:45 PM

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/SH/SkinHealth/brands/steri-strip/

These.

My mother is a nurse, and whenever I used to get cut, and it didn't warrant stitches, she would use them.

I don't have any idea how deep it is or if it DOES require stitches, so I would suggest a doctor. Might cost money, but it beats horrible infections and amputation.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 10:30:20 PM

I had one of these back high school, used sterri strips and triple antibiotic. was fine, although I did develop a small but noticeable scar.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 10:35:07 PM

If its throbbing its a good sign in my experience, means its fighting infection. If it is the case apply antibacterial salve of some sort.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:37:37 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 10:36:43 PM

I spell gud
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:13:59 AM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 10:41:11 PM

No throbbing, not warm or even red around the wound. I don't think it's going to be a problem it's barely bleeding at all if I don't twist my hand a certain way with the bandaid off, thanks all.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 10:49:36 PM

I've cut my hands open a lot.  Keep it clean, keep anti-biotic on it, try to keep it closed.  If it starts throbbing, turns a deep red or purple, feels hot to the touch, or starts leaking pus (not clear lymph fluid or the dried crusts of the same, but cloudy or thick yellowish discharge you can squeeze out), get to a doctor or an urgent care facility.  Oh, and when was your last tetanus shot?  A clean knife isn't a likely vector, but by the time you feel any symptoms of tetanus, it's probably too late to save the hand.

--Dave

EDIT: Also, clean it well right before you go to bed, then make sure it's dressed such that it won't open in your sleep.  If you don't have gauze and surgical tape, a sterile bandage with antibiotic on the wound and then paper towels and duct tape (*loosely* wrapped) will do the trick.  Yes, you really can fix anything with duct tape.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:53:40 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 12:52:49 AM

Make sure the duct tape isn't touching skin though.  That glue will leave a nasty chemical burn.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 01:42:43 AM

Masterbating?

Lrn2spell.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 03:14:16 AM

Getting medical advice from the Internet rather than going to a clinic/hospital for something that may negatively affect your ability to masturbate is awesome, for real.

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 03:49:31 AM

So, I just cut my hand by accident on a knife. Sort of. I didn't actually know the knife was there. Picked up a paper towel and it was under it and it sliced into my palm. It's a pretty long gash but super super clean, and barely bled at all. I do not have insurance. I am not going to get stitches. That said, is there anything in particular I should do to deal with it. Right now I've got bandaids holding the wound shut. That said, I took a look and it looks like unless I move it doesn't open, and it only really moves when I grip something hard or use my mouse and have my palm resting. As such, any advice or should I just keep it clean and keep bandaids on it to hold it shut?

I work in a pro kitchen and we see cuts all the time.  And usually they are like your situation, where you aren't actually slicing, but get cut in a stupid way.  Just keep it clean.  SCrub it with soap and then use some antiseptic ointment.  No one goes to the doctor unless they slice off a finger or something.

The worst I ever did was when I was going diving.  The dude ahead of me had newer style booties that have treads like tennis shoes.  He jumped onto a wet log and was fine.  I hald oldschool booties, jumped onto the same log and both my feet flew out from underneath me.  I threw my arms out to keep my head from getting smashed, and got a super nasty, mangled left palm to pay for it.

It was ugly.  I don't even think they could have stitched it if they wanted to.  I was a sharp rock and my palm dug in and twisted.  It was an ugly mash of pulp.

I cleaned the thing up, but the next day I woke up with a red line going up my forearm.  Scared the shit out of me.  I cleaned it again, grabbed a Sharpie and drew a mark where the red line was at.  If it went any higher, I was hightailing it to the emergency room.  But it didn't; it went down.

The scar has faded mostly, but it's pretty nasty.  Like a big X, with a line going through the middle.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 05:07:59 AM

Hey Schild, look for a free clinic if you want a chance to have it looked at for free, or a nursing school or med school, where are you at in TX?  Nebu covered a lot of it, but I'll add, if you use a liquid bandage don't get the adhesive of another bandage on it as it will pull off when you change it, nor should you get the liquid bandage wet.  Do keep it immobilized for about 24 hours, then just check the wound for infection.  The big thing is you tetanus immunizations, when was the last time you had one of those?  If it is less than 7 years we recommend getting your booster shot (if you are unsure get it anyway, better to have a sore arm than lock jaw).  I know the CDC says 10 years, but our hospital has moved to a 7 year, that way we keep the immunizations booster up and running, heck the pro staff has thought of 5 years for high risk patients.  Oh, you can get Td shot at the health clinic for usually $5 or check and see if any of the schools will give it to you for free or at cost.

Sometimes I wish they would put Dermabond over the counter, but I'll have to check out the liquid bandage from Band-aids, I usually sweet talk the Dermabond rep for free samples to help friends and family out.  Heck, I've gotten to where I keep a med kit in the car because I'll get asked by all kinds of people sometimes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 07:24:35 AM

I like the sup cat but I like the pirate cat better.  You can be the pirate cat now.  Maybe you'll get lucky and lose an eye.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 08:53:19 AM

Sometimes I wish they would put Dermabond over the counter, but I'll have to check out the liquid bandage from Band-aids, I usually sweet talk the Dermabond rep for free samples to help friends and family out.  Heck, I've gotten to where I keep a med kit in the car because I'll get asked by all kinds of people sometimes.

You and I both know why Dermabond isn't available over the counter.  How many people do you see each week with self-treated wounds oozing puss because they didn't properly irrigate and clean their wound before dressing it?   Yes, cleaning a wound hurts.  It's better than getting lanced/drained a week or two later. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 08:54:29 AM

I know an old Indian trick that works wonders...
first make a slurry of Tabasco and table salt
then liberally fill the wound with it (you might need someones help, it'll sting a little)
Let it soak for a while, then rinse with vinegar.  
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 08:58:50 AM

That sounds insane.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 09:07:02 AM

I think he's trying to kill you.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 09:08:14 AM

then liberally fill the wound with it (you might need someones help, it'll sting a little)

This doesn't surprise me.  Capsaicin (the oil in peppers that makes them "hot") has been known to have anticancer and antibiotic activity.  Add in some vinegar (also in Tabasco) to drop the pH and you have a decent antiseptic.  Sure would sting like a bitch though.  I'd still go with antibiotics  awesome, for real

-  Mark Twain
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 09:24:21 AM

This doesn't surprise me.  Capsaicin (the oil in peppers that makes them "hot") has been known to have anticancer and antibiotic activity.  Add in some vinegar (also in Tabasco) to drop the pH and you have a decent antiseptic.  Sure would sting like a bitch though.  I'd still go with antibiotics  awesome, for real

lol, I totally made that shit up. Don't actually do it.
Or if you do it, post a video, I wanna watch.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 09:28:08 AM

You're a bastard, CharlieMopps.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 09:33:20 AM

Wtf I sliced a piece off of my index finger yesterday about an hour after you made this thread. It finally stopped bleeding this morning, I was getting a little worried. Bled like a motherfucker for the first half hour.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Medical question. Cut my hand open.  
Jump to: