Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Anyone playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone playing?  (Read 14150 times)
Tige
Terracotta Army

on: August 23, 2008, 12:26:01 PM

I just picked this game up yesterday on a whim after coming across some news of a new update later this year. 

I'm going to goof around with the different races and classes for a couple of days before settling in so can start up on any server if anyone still playing ddo.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:11:41 AM

Let me know if you're able to level up to 10 without repeating any quests more than, say, twice.  I had a lot of fun in the alpha and would have bought the game if it hadn't turned grindy right around level 6.  I figure that's just a matter of adding more content as long as they don't steepen the levelling curve to compensate, so I'm curious if things have gotten any better since release.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:05:39 AM

The harbor is saturated with quests, you could get to level 4 easily without any repetition.  I moved from the harbor to the market last night with a lvl 4 mnk so can't speak to the amount of quests outside the noob zone yet.  Will keep you posted if I hit the wall you mention at lvl 6+.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:51:45 AM

Thus far your experience mirrors my own, so I'm very curious to hear whether it continues to do so or whether they've brought the other areas up to the same standard as the starting area.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:51:38 PM

I made the rounds in the Market grabbing quests and completed the catacombs quest line.  It looks to me there are plenty of quests to get lvl 6+ but will be at least a week before I know for sure.  Overall they seem to be getting longer and I'm guessing they will require more grouping.  Fortunately finding a group has not been a problem, there is usually a group running a hard or elite version of a quest you need.  Better loot and more xp. 

Pick up groups are of two flavors.  The slower, methodical, well rounded grp disabling traps and doing all the optional stuff.  The second is the group of virtual 10 year olds, slap fighting their way from one end to the other as quickly as possible. 

I'm on the Khyber server as Tige, lvl 4 Mnk.  As soon as I settle on a Ranger build I'll have Scurvy Wench Skurvee on Khyber as well.  I can handle not being smart enough to use a scroll or too weak to turn a valve but for some reason it irks me I can't find secret doors and disable traps. 

I'm pretty sure you can get a 10 day free trial at ddo.com but if not and you want to try it I think there is a referral I can send you.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 04:58:58 PM by Tige »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 01:53:40 PM

There's more then enough quests to get the XP you need now.  The thing that you are missing out on is that repeating the quests on the higher difficulties gives you xp bonuses for your first time through and also increases the level of loot that drops out of the chests.

For instance:

First time on normal = +25% xp
First time on hard = +25% xp
First time on Elite = +50% xp

Those bonuses can be a big help especially on the bigger xp quests.
The biggest questing problem you will have is most of the vets skip 80% of the content heading for the big xp quests.  

Your biggest problem leveling will usually hit you in that 8-10 range.  That seems to be the biggest dead zone on my server at least.  When you hit 10 most of the groups you will see will be in the Gianthold.  That's because of the quests called Crucible and Madstone give craptons of xp for their level.  

I still love the game for it's combat system and quest design.  I just can't get back into games like WoW, LOTRO, AOC anymore because of it.  

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:57:45 PM

BTW Tige you'll see alot of Monk hate later on down the line.
The main problem is their lack of DPS especially towards endgame.
I personally love my monk, but I don't play him as much endgame.

Rangers are excellent.  Especially the current set of Tempest Ranger builds.  I highly suggest looking at the class forums and checking out the builds out there for ideas.

One of my favorite characters right now is a 10 rogue/6 ranger.  I also have a straight class ranger at level 16.

P.S. If you have problems later starting out, Clerics are a good way to go... you'll almost never have problems getting a group that way.  Since clerics in D&D aren't just straight healbots you can also give them some decent melee skills.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:59:53 PM by Evildrider »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 02:08:05 PM

Oh and Dwarves are godly.. nuff said.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 02:23:48 PM

Thus far your experience mirrors my own, so I'm very curious to hear whether it continues to do so or whether they've brought the other areas up to the same standard as the starting area.

I'd suggest giving it another try.  If I were you though maybe wait a month or two to try it when Mod 8 hits.  It's adding a more player friendly beginning experience as well as a revamp of the harbor.  Last Mod they also upgraded the Three Barrel Cove area and thats in the level 4-6 area.  They've also added lots of explorer areas now that allow you to gain xp by finding rare encounters and explorer points as well as for killing certain amounts of monsters.  These are good to help out soloers or places to go when you don't have time for a full quest or even while waiting to find a group.
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:02:31 PM

I've seen that angst about monks on the boards you mention.  My monk is going down the water/tortoise path with a quarterstaff and I really won't care if I don't squeeze out every last bit of dps in the long run.  I'm keeping the stats required for monk as high as possible, especially wis in this case, but if he is not uber at level 10+ I seriously doubt I'd reroll. 

I can see why you like the game mechanics and play style.  There is enough there to seperate it from the crowd, especially playing either solo or with a slow moving group where you can use the skills you've trained the way they were designed. 

Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:29:12 AM

I'm just a couple hundred from level six and I don't forsee any issues as far as the amount of quests.  The problem is finding a group that will do different quests outside a handfull of the most popular ones.  The closer you get to level five the lower the chances are you will be able to solo quests so you are grouping a whole lot more. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 09:18:41 AM

If you haven't reached level 6 yet, I don't think you can prognosticate on whether the game will turn more grindy after level 6.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Although it sounds like it's already gotten there.  The existence of other quests doesn't count if you can never do them.  (And if no groups run them, it's probably because they're poorly designed and give shitty XP/loot for their difficulty.)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Anyone playing?  
Jump to: