Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: C# and sound 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: C# and sound  (Read 6981 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: August 21, 2008, 07:32:21 AM

I was looking over the .NET Framework Class Reference material and was pleased to find System.Drawing, but I didn't see anything (obvious) that looked like it pertained to audio.  I am specifically interested in generating sounds, not playing existing audio files.  Any tips?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:03:18 AM

Generating sounds... you mean like MIDI? As I understand it, most game audio these days isn't "generated," it's a pastiche of preexisting samples on multiple output channels.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:53:22 AM

Yea, I assumed sound was all pregenerated these days.  Sounds like I will have to look into some separate noise-generating application.  I'd really like to program my own beeps and whistles, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:50:02 AM

Well if you want to use what the cool kids are using these days learn this:

http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:18:03 AM

That looks like a winner.  Thanks much.

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:36:23 PM

Max/MSP is nice too.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:58:58 PM

Max/MSP is nice too.

SOMEONE ELSE THAT KNOWS MAX/MSP! AWESOME!

(for serious)

Did you use it in conjunction with Jitter or did you just use it for procedural audio stuff?
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 04:50:30 PM

SOMEONE ELSE THAT KNOWS MAX/MSP! AWESOME!

(for serious)

Did you use it in conjunction with Jitter or did you just use it for procedural audio stuff?

I just used it for procedural audio.  I haven't touched it in about a year, but you can write some crazy shit with it.  Heart

schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 04:51:45 PM

Yea, it's amazing. If you ever get a chance to fiddle with the visual shit of jitter, take that chance.

I keep it on my resume simply because no one knows how to use it and it's the ultimate in high-brow effete procedural bullshit.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 04:59:02 PM

I'd love to play with Jitter.  Unfortunately I haven't messed around in my studio much recently.  The demos I've seen are incredible though. 

I mainly used it as a VST plugin for Sonar and generated randomized pops and clicks to accompany my hardware synths.  The tools are there to do just about anything you want audio wise.  It's the ultimate modular synth IMO.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 10:18:32 AM

Max/MSP is nice too.

That looks like some Serious Shit.  I'll give that a look as well, seems to be more developed than ChucK.

schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 10:20:34 AM

Max/MSP is a project on it's own. You could spend a whole year learning it. Just the basics. Hell, I did. When you pair it with actual machinery though (like pressure pads, levers, etc) in REAL life, that's when it gets fucking awesome.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 10:02:14 AM

Ah, I don't want "fucking awesome", I want "I made my own music like John Carpenter but without talent".

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: C# and sound  
Jump to: