Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:28:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Battleforge - Modern TCG (Yes) by EA (NOOOOOO) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battleforge - Modern TCG (Yes) by EA (NOOOOOO)  (Read 67786 times)
Aez
Terracotta Army

on: August 17, 2008, 12:53:18 PM

This game looks awesome : must.resist.the.hype

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

EDIT : OK, vader was overkill.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:06:05 PM by Aez »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:26:13 PM

I have no idea what any of that means, but it does look pretty sweet.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 02:03:45 PM

Is that some kind of bukkake attack?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:43:47 PM

It looks interesting, but I don't know why it's in the MMOG forum.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 03:18:04 PM

Yeah,  MTGO was in regular gaming.  My bad.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:10:33 PM

New trailer up

Beta access for preorder - North America only.

No date for the beta yet.

EDIT : gameplaytrailer
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:29:43 PM by Aez »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 07:49:45 PM

[update... thread resurrection]

Beta for this started today.  Fileplanet and pre-order folk get access.  Initial DL is only like 70MB, but the patch is quite huge so far. (i'm still patching)  Will report after I have a taste.  Been waiting for this one for a long time.  The fact they're even trying this little "experiment" of theirs deserves some merit, we'll see if they execute properly.  Hopefully it's more fun than Pox Nora (that game sux bawls).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:22:36 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:51:07 PM

Ah shit, nice.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 07:53:04 PM

You know, now that EA is on Steam, they should really do their betas through there. I'm tired of buying PC boxes.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 08:11:53 PM

You know, now that EA is on Steam, they should really do their betas through there. I'm tired of buying PC boxes.

Well, that wouldnt help Fileplanet (Fox Media) gain subs.  And EA needs to justify their own DL manager (which is part of this game).  I'd like to know who's running the servers for this thing though... Gamespy, EA, a small hovel in Germany?

I agree with you though, as much as I kinda despise Steam (you know how I believe all information should be free).

Anyways, nice tutorial vids to watch while you patch.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:39 PM

They did a pretty dang good job on the music for this (shows a professionalism I wasnt expecting):
http://www.ea.com/eatrax/preview.jsp?soundTrackId=battleforge&curPage=1

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:41:58 PM

Welp, finished patching and going through the Intro. area and...  this, my friends, is a well made game, so far... w/o a doubt.  I foresee come Spring this will be the new Cracktastic Voyage for all to play.   If you value your meagre savings, stay far far away from this game... dont even try the beta (I'm being serious).  The beta will compel you to buy the game, which will in turn compel you to sell your soul (once the game releases) in order to buy cards or gold (which you'll be able to get anywhere/anytime/anyhow)... then once you have those cards, you will never sleep again because at its core it's a collectible MMORPG (with coop single, dual, and even raid lvl gameplay... along with laddered PvP in a pretty slick community format).  It's the absolute worst (errr.. best, depending on your outlook) combination of gaming one could present to "gamers."  If I had kids, they would not be allowed to play it. 

Anyways, if I'm wrong, I'll change my avatar to a flaming pile of rhino dung for a month.  But really, Phenomic is onto something here.  The game even oddly enough has an MMO feel to it (I have to dig into it some more though to fully realize this).

More later, getting late.  Lot to talk about with this one.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:45:00 PM by Ghambit »

ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 11:40:00 PM

cool

World of Blizzard is delayed a year, retooled into an MMOTCG, and smashes all your dreams into a monthly payable bill
vos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 12:20:54 AM

Just got done playing the tutorial myself. Very slick. Game plays like a simplified RTS with standard movement and controls, although the ranged cards spells might add a layer of strategy outside unit special abilities. It's basically exactly what I would expect from merging Warcraft 3 and MtG. I think the turning of the Mana/lands into the RTS resources is particularly clever.  If you add in unique units to loot/buy/trade it could be seriously addictive.  I wonder how they are going to treat the overpowered/rare card issues common to CCGs in balancing a RTS though?
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 12:21:10 AM

Welp, finished patching and going through the Intro. area and...  this, my friends, is a well made game, so far... w/o a doubt.  I foresee come Spring this will be the new Cracktastic Voyage for all to play.   If you value your meagre savings, stay far far away from this game... dont even try the beta (I'm being serious).  The beta will compel you to buy the game, which will in turn compel you to sell your soul (once the game releases) in order to buy cards or gold (which you'll be able to get anywhere/anytime/anyhow)... then once you have those cards, you will never sleep again because at its core it's a collectible MMORPG (with coop single, dual, and even raid lvl gameplay... along with laddered PvP in a pretty slick community format).  It's the absolute worst (errr.. best, depending on your outlook) combination of gaming one could present to "gamers."  If I had kids, they would not be allowed to play it.  

Anyways, if I'm wrong, I'll change my avatar to a flaming pile of rhino dung for a month.  But really, Phenomic is onto something here.  The game even oddly enough has an MMO feel to it (I have to dig into it some more though to fully realize this).

More later, getting late.  Lot to talk about with this one.

This post. It's frightening.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 05:31:57 AM

It's good.  It's also pretty easy to get into the beta.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:34:09 AM by Aez »
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 05:37:07 AM

I wouldn't call ordering directly from EA (who has the worst download service in the world) or joining that godawful Fileplanet "easy."
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 08:46:17 AM

Most of the game is patched in, not from the initial DL.  As far as I can tell they have their own launcher/patcher and isnt using EA (the game is really 3.6GB to DL and 9GB install)... which kinda doesnt explain why they included EA's DL manager in the install, unless later on they plan on autofeeding people patches ala Steam.  A bit confusing who's going to do what with this game.

There's a slight risk with this title getting bigger than they can handle, since I believe there's only going to be one massive server (their servers are already pretty on their knees).  The slick part is since it's setup somewhat like an MMO, you can actually navigate the "gameworld" through the map UI so as to not flood one general location.  There's even an offline area where you can practice on your own, fighting against yourself... tweaking your deck.

Nevertheless, I cant seem to find any real info. on how the server structure is going to be with this one, which is obviously pretty important seeing as how it's a TCG.  My bet is there will have to be multiple servers with separate markets; intermaket sales will have to be done via 3rd party and with retail cards (they will have a Facebook appy btw, which of course links with Ebay).  Game isnt roomy enough for only 1 server, even with the myriad different zones to play in... so at the very least perhaps an Asian, EU, and NA server.

p.s.
This game is an MMO and perhaps should be in that forum section - although sometimes I think anything that touches that forum becomes unclean.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:18:07 AM by Ghambit »

schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 09:43:41 AM

Patching now, CAN'T F'ING WAIT.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 10:00:16 AM

Oh hell I did not need to see this...

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 10:02:25 AM

Guys. I'm gonna say something obvious.

Wait for them to announced a collector's edition with a preorder deal so you can get rare cards. No doubt they WILL do that.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 10:18:51 AM

Anyone see any mention of an NDA?  I cant seem to find one on the forums.  There's an agreement at the install, but as usual I didnt read it. Ohhhhh, I see.
Oh well... my in-game character is "Ghambit" if anyone else plays.

Btw, there are (castle)siege elements (like every good RTS) and I believe dungeon runs in this game as well. (if you were wondering)  Stay away from the forums if you value your sanity, a lot of younglings in there.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 10:21:53 AM

Are there guilds and such? This game is up a lot of Bat Country's alley. I would not mind running it in this game. DO WANT.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 10:25:28 AM

Moving to MMOG.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 10:42:59 AM

Whats with the popularity of card based systems recently? Game looks cool though.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 10:43:54 AM

This game is fuckawesome.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 10:51:53 AM

It's best if I never knew this game existed.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 10:53:31 AM

HmmMmm... I need to be a paying member of FP to try this?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:30 AM

Ok you really shouldn't have posted that trailer.

I hate you.

I want to play this now.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 11:01:15 AM

If by chance you have comcast as your internet provider you have  file planet subscription privileges, at least until the end of the year.  I'm patching now, if I understand the beta agreement correctly, there is an NDA (described under confidential information IIRC) that basically allows you to say that there is a beta and you are in it.  
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 11:04:32 AM

I'm using comcast.  How do I get an account?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 11:25:55 AM

This was it.  http://www.comcast.net/gameinvasion/setup/index.html  As you can see, the link to activate is empty.  Sorry. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:27 AM

I'm not sure, I signed up a while back, I think it was under games or downloads on the comcast site.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 11:43:18 AM

I signed up years and years ago, too.  It was a Founder's Club bundle offered by Comcast.  They actually got rid of it in August and even though I switched
to FIOS months ago, it was still good.  Recently I had a letter from Fileplanet stating they were going to cut all the Comcast people off at the
end of the year. 

Oh, if you want to continue, FP has a special offer.  You sign up and it's free for a month but then they'll charge you $40 or something if you don't cancel within the allotted time.  FORTY!!!   ACK!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:46:38 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 30, 2008, 11:43:26 AM

I wouldn't call ordering directly from EA (who has the worst download service in the world) or joining that godawful Fileplanet "easy."

I got it by posting a silly picture of me imitating a Juggernaut in the forum.  It was not random, you had 100% chance of getting in if you posted a picture.  I imagine it should turn into an open beta pretty soon.

I stopped playing because  you can't buy cards for the beta.  You're pretty much stuck playing with what you have with the few free starting packs, which is a shame since a huge part of the game is building your deck and improving your cards.  Might be just me though, I never grind past the early levels in mmorpg's beta because I find it pointless.

This game will live or die by their ability to release new cards.  I wouldn't bother with the actual game if there was no other card set planned.  The actual cards aren't leaving much place to innovation right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Battleforge - Modern TCG (Yes) by EA (NOOOOOO)  
Jump to: