Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Holy fucking Christmas in November, Batman! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holy fucking Christmas in November, Batman!  (Read 4850 times)
schild
Administrator

on: November 03, 2004, 08:29:32 AM

I'm sure everyone noticed the stellar (and pricey) upcoming weeks, but for the sake of consolidation:

Week of 10/24:
GBA
Castlevania
Zelda II
Metroid

XBox
Dead or Alive: Ultimate
Fatal Frame II: Director's Cut
The Bard's Tale (also PS2)

PS2
GTA: San Andreas

PC
Rise of Nations: Gold
SW:G Jump to Lightspeed

Week of 10/31
GC
Alien Hominid

PS2
Guilty Gear Isuka
Killzone
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
King of Fighters: 2002 & 2003

All Platforms:
LotR: The Third Age

PC
Ultima Online: NINJAS EVERYWHERE! (tentative title)

Week of 11/07
All Platforms:
The Urbz

PS2:
Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex
Growlanser Generations (also in a deluxe version)
Jak 3
Rumble Roses
Shaman King (new anime-ish tactics game loosely based on a hit tv series)

Xbox
Halo 2

Gamecube
Mario Power Tennis

PC:
Painkiller xpack: Battle out of Hell
Vampire: Bloodlines

Week of 11/14
GBA:
Metal Slug Advance

GC
Baten Kaitos
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

PC:
Everquest II
Half-Life 2
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

PS2:
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater

All Platforms:
Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
Need for Speed: Underground 2

Edit: I left about 20 games off, I'll revise it in a little bit.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 08:44:18 AM

Half-Life 2 and NFS:U2. And latter one only if it supports free-roam in multiplayer (since fucking GTA doesn't support multiplayer). That's about it. Maybe Vampire:Bloodlines, too. The rest? Meh.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 08:50:28 AM

Vampire and EQ2, that's it for me. GTA:SA next spring when it hits the pc.

Nice list, full of original titles (17%). Even the two I like are sequels.
(since fucking GTA doesn't support multiplayer)

I'm pretty sure there's two player co-op.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 08:56:53 AM

Multiplayer as in playing over LAN and Internet.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 09:00:16 AM

Only thing I've committed to buying is Halo 2. I need something brainless and fun.  Plus, I limit myself to one title a month (being on a budget sucks, but having no savings sucks worse I suppose), but I'll likely be able to squeeze in WoW also this month.

This means Mario Power Tennis, Metroid 2, and a host of other games get put on the ole Christmas list. People will most likely just buy me DVDs because they're cheaper. /sigh

-Rasix
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:19:38 AM

Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 for me.  Though there are other good games coming out, they all pale to the stack of games I already have and want to play more of.

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 09:23:56 AM

Shaman King (new anime-ish tactics game loosely based on a hit tv series)

This is a weird 'toon.  I'd check it out, but it's on the PS2. I just haven't had the itch to play anything on mine recently, the GBA's & Gamecube's  been more fun.

WoW for me, unless anyone knows what Metal Slug is and if it'd be a decent game to play on my lunch hour.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 09:50:29 AM

I'm picking up Third Age today.

Will probably hop on the bandwagon and order up Halo2 while I'm at EB.

Then Halflife 2 is currently sitting on my HDD waiting to be unlocked.  Vampire:Bloodlines will probably get my other cash.

Other than that, god I hope I don't buy anything else.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 10:04:18 AM

The only thing on that list that I will buy for sure (if it will run on my decrepit PC) is Vampire: Bloodlines.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 10:05:51 AM

I got GTA: SA, next will be Vampire Bloodlines, Half-Life 2, and possibly WoW. Also maybe Metroid for GC.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 11:12:40 AM

My lack of gaming time is really hitting me hard right now, it's really depressing. I'm limiting myself to WoW and Halo 2 for the rest of the year, despite other games releasing that I thought I would have never passed up ... oh well.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 11:13:57 AM

Halo 2, WoW, and MechAssault 2 in late December here.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 12:37:48 PM

Please send your donations to:

Ardent's Gaming Fund
Mission Viejo, CA 92692

In the meantime, I'll be working on mastering quantum phyisics so I can create an alternate reality where I have the time to play everything I want to.

Um, never mind.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 12:51:55 PM

Times like this, I miss being employed.

Although really, the only game I've been really wanting is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door for Gamecube.

Oh, and Half-Life 2 when it comes out Real Soon Like.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 04:26:34 PM

I'll be staying away from Metal Gear Solid 3 unless I hear some great things about it, I was bored to tears by the first Metroid Prime game, and EA is trying to use the Goldeneye name despite the fact that none of their Bond games have been anywhere near as good as Goldeneye.

This month I'll probably go for Vampire and maybe Sid Meier's Pirates if I see it cheap somewhere.  Other than that I'll wait till next month for KOTR II and Gran Turismo 4.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 06:54:47 PM

Hopefully all these games can hold me off of WoW for several months. I'm tempted to check it out at release, but there's a enough things around to keep it off the radar, I think.

Halo and KoToR are the only ones of my list for the xbox, with Vampire and Pirates on PC. I also bought Ace Combat, Katamari, Hot Shots, GTA, and one of the new PS2's today. Then there's MGS and Gran Turismo waiting in line. If those don't hold me off, nothing will.

Add to that: I haven't played a PS2 game in a couple of years, so I'm sure there's catchin' up to do. Recommendations? Best Turn-based RPG's for example?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 07:00:57 PM

Halo 2 (collectors), Half-life 2 (collectors), WoW (collectors) and KOTOR2 are the only ones I'm buying. I looked at GTA: SA but I hate the thug hip hop culture and would probably be trying to get my guy killed at every chance. DOA ultimate sorta appeals but none of my friends really plays fighting games, except one (Aslan on these boards) and frankly he's no fun to play because he's alot better than I am.

Metal Gear appeals but I'll wait for them to port it to XBOX

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 08:13:53 PM

I'm looking forward to KotOR II, Pirates and Gran Turismo 4. I'm intrigued by Children of the Nile, which supposedly shipped today.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
jwinston2
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 10:00:15 PM

HL2. Did anyone buy the online steam version? I am thinking about going with the silver package and was wondering if anyone else has done it and what they think about it?

WoW is preorder but I am afraid it will suck after reading some of the nay sayers.

KOTOR2 looks good but I think I will wait until I read some reviews and comments about the game.

One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continuously stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 10:13:46 PM

I did the silver package. Best value all around - mostly because I couldn't find my Half Life or CS cases.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 10:53:59 PM

Quote from: stray
Add to that: I haven't played a PS2 game in a couple of years, so I'm sure there's catchin' up to do. Recommendations? Best Turn-based RPG's for example?

Well on the SRPG side there's Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, La Pucelle: Tactics, and the recently released Phantom Brave, all from Nippon Ichi. I've only played Disgaea but from what I've read of the other games, it's probably the best of the three. La Pucelle was actually done before Disgaea even though it was released after Disgaea outside of Asia so it lacks some of Disgaea's refinement. Phantom Brave is trying to advance the genre by doing away with a grid but a lot of reviewers complained it causes all sorts of movement and targeting issues. The story in Phantom Brave is also apparently a lot more somber compared to the humerous storylines of the other two (Etna's interludes in Disgaea are laugh out loud funny).

If you like mechs there's also Front Mission 4 from Square Enix. The gameplay isn't as interesting as the Nippon Ichi titles but it has that usual Square Enix polish to it and it has, well, mechs (Wansers in Front Mission terminology).

There are of course a ton of regular RPGs for the PS2 if you like that sort of thing.

If you like button mashers, I'd also recommend Devil May Cry (the first one).
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 02:56:48 AM

Quote from: jwinston2
HL2. Did anyone buy the online steam version? I am thinking about going with the silver package and was wondering if anyone else has done it and what they think about it?

Bought the Bronze version on my regular Steam account. Now, it's like a Silver account without HL:S and DOD:S. Since the retail game needs activation too, there's pretty much no difference in the Steam and Retail versions, just the delivery mechanism. The Steam version costs a bit more, but you're saved from any hassles to get it.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 05:54:24 AM

This year's season has already peaked for me, with Rome, DoW, and EG within 8 days of each other (though the second half of EG was something of a let down).

Still moderately interested in HL2, and DAoC:Catacombs if that ever turns up.

I was keeping an eye on JtL, but given the comments here and elsewhere, I'm going to pass.

For next year, I'm looking out for...

City of Villans
GTA:SA PC
KotOR2
Star Wars : Austrailian Storm Troopers (or whatever they are calling it)

That three of them are sequels/expansions, two are console ports and one is only on the list in the hope that it craps all over GL's vision is a little depressing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Holy fucking Christmas in November, Batman!  
Jump to: