Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 09:04:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: NHL 09- Sports finally go MMOG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 09- Sports finally go MMOG  (Read 19743 times)
WayAbvPar

on: August 14, 2008, 09:05:33 AM

This sounds incredible. The 3x3 online MP pickup games from 08 were a blast- this will be 10x better if they can get it to work lag free. I would have bought 09 anyway (08 was fantastic), but this completely seals the deal. CANNOT WAIT.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WindiaN
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:47:14 AM

That looks pretty incredible. I hope they do that for basketball because there aren't dead positions in basketball. It would suck to be the goalie if your team is wrecking shit... Now that I think about it, I couldn't imagine it ever being really fun to be the goalie.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:12:37 PM

I was thinking the exact opposite, being a goalie would be the first position I would want to try.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:24:43 PM

That does sound pretty cool and I don't even like Hockey.

Too bad a baseball version of this doesn't make a lot of sense.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 09:34:42 PM

That does sound pretty cool and I don't even like Hockey.

Damnit man, what is wrong with you? You're going to force Oban and into beating some taste in to you.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:52:35 PM

Fascinating. Unlikely to gain traction, but fascinating. I'd love for it to make a splash - mostly because of basketball.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:13:11 AM

Unlikely to gain traction
You're so out of touch with hockey. This will draw a lot of attention from people who have given up on hockey games or hockey in general, and obviously the people who already play NHL. Being able to setup plays with other competent people is a god damned gift from God. BAH! You're touched in the head sometimes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:18:24 AM

Unlikely to gain traction
You're so out of touch with hockey. This will draw a lot of attention from people who have given up on hockey games or hockey in general, and obviously the people who already play NHL. Being able to setup plays with other competent people is a god damned gift from God. BAH! You're touched in the head sometimes.

You are canadian. And on that note, NiX, how many copies is this gonna sell? Just ballpark that shit.

Edit: Like I said, I want it to gain enough traction that shit transfers over to other sports. I'm just not deluded enough to think that it will. You can't prove otherwise, but EA can.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:23:27 AM by schild »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 01:47:34 AM

Being able to setup plays with other competent people is a god damned gift from God. BAH! You're touched in the head sometimes.

What about being able to setup plays with retards who fuck up then call you a fag? Who is that a gift from?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 07:59:15 AM

Microsoft.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 11:01:33 PM

Baseball? Fuck that noise.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 02:14:13 PM

Hmm, I'll have to be sure to give a copy of this game a spin this fall.

So who's gonna be up for some hockey?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 02:22:43 PM

I'll be good for it, though I've never played any of the earlier iterations online before. Would give me a good excuse to reactivate my gold account so I can stream Netflix too.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 09:26:31 AM

Unless we can scare up 20+ people for a team (so there are always teammates on), I will probably join up with the 2+2 folks. If I can somehow be on more than 1 team, that would be ideal.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 09:41:50 AM

I'm sure I could be scared up.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 09:56:13 AM

I'm plenty scared for this.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 11:05:34 PM

So... do we grind for Rink Points and save up for Brutal Gladiator Composite Sticks or.. how does this work? Where's the grind?

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 07:20:59 PM

No way, I'm using wood sticks - don't need them breaking on crucial face-offs.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Strazos

Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 08:05:46 PM

So, the demo is up on XBL...

At the very least, it kicks the shit out of 2k9. I have no idea wtf they think they're doing over at 2ksports.

And the new Play a Pro (or whatever) feature seems very interesting.

And a big plus; they didn't fuck with the controls too much. They changed a few little things, but apparently for the better.

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 08:11:34 PM

I still want to grind for months and months to save up points for a Brutal Gladiator Composite.

But there should be a rating for the shoulderpads. They're the most visible part.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 08:49:29 PM

That sounds amazing.  I'll wait to see how it pans out for the PS3 version, but if things go smoothly I'm down.  This will probably be the first hockey game I buy since NHL 95.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 09:38:09 PM

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 03:24:42 PM

I have been playing the everloving crap out of the demo. BAP mode is a blast, and will be like chocolate-covered Robot Jesus when I can track my stats. I am a part of an EASHL team from 2+2 (poker site); we have ~20 members so far. If possible, I would like to get an F13 team together, but I fear we may not be numerous enough to have teammates online most of the time. If we can have multiple online characters, I would love to do multiple teams.

I plan on going to pick this up early tomorrow morning (telecommute FTW!!). I can play and still monitor work stuff pretty easily. I will post the specifics on the EASHL stuff as soon as I figure them out.

Strazos

Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 07:12:39 PM

Oh shit, this DOES come out tomorrow.

Fuck.  awesome, for real

We can use created players, right? And are they finally going to put back in the whole "skill point limit" thing from earlier games? There was no reason other than "rp'ing" to not give myself straight 99's in past games.

Fear the Backstab!
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 08:50:54 PM

As I understand it, there are some ridiculous number of skills, and a limited number of points to bump them. The higher they go, the harder they are to improve (according to the IGN review), so I doubt you can crank everything to 99, at least in online play.

My first player is going to be a Bertuzzi-type power forward (#44, of course). I hope I can make a bunch, because snipers, danglers  and playmakers are fun to play as well.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 08:57:51 PM

My first player is going to be a Bertuzzi-type power forward (#44, of course). I hope I can make a bunch, because snipers, danglers  and playmakers are fun to play as well.

Sorry, he's #7 now. I always knew you were a closet Flames fan.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 08:06:32 AM

You are a cruel man.

Strazos

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 04:47:20 PM

Also, in stores 9/10...BOOOO   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 10:44:56 AM

I can't tell you how bitter I am. Every other goddamned game I have seen is available in stores ON its ship date from EBgames/gamestop/other online retailers. I telecommute Mon/Tues, so it was PERFECT! Even had my buddy come over so we could play all day. We ended up playing 08 instead.  ACK!

Gonna grab it at lunch today. If it is not available by then I may go on some sort of violent spree.

NinjaSteve
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 03:34:53 PM

Well I've already got my copy sitting here beside me while I wait for work to end.  So I'm assuming you should have yours today considering I'm in Canada and we usually tend to get things late.
WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 03:37:14 PM

Yep, I am in the same boat. My copy is sitting in my car waiting for me to drive it home and play it until my thumbs fall off.

Strazos

Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 05:12:08 PM

Doing some reading and watching Olbermann before I play.

Fear the Backstab!
WayAbvPar

Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 09:00:53 AM

Got in 3 or 4 games last night with my online team (we didn't win any, but they were close!). This is going to be really fun.

If you want to join the club, register at http://eashlforum.com and post in the recruitment forum. Mention that I invited you to join. The more the merrier, since we couldn't quite field a full team last night. Ideally we would have 3 or 3 games going at one time!

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 09:40:37 AM

Must buy XBOX360…

How is the skating, have they improved it so it doesn't feel like my dudes are going in slow-motion (I missed last season release and my last taste of EA NHL was on NHL07 on PS2 and XBOX)…?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
WayAbvPar

Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 11:01:47 AM

The past two versions are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the old stuff. Totally different feel, and the Skill Stick stuff is outstanding.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: NHL 09- Sports finally go MMOG  
Jump to: