Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Funcom's new retention method: GMs who cyber with you. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Funcom's new retention method: GMs who cyber with you.  (Read 6023 times)
Kirth
Terracotta Army

on: August 11, 2008, 05:19:40 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 06:22:31 AM

awwwwww i put it in the What Went Wrong thread, heh.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:34:07 AM

I felt it deserved its own special thread.  awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:35:49 AM

Well, it certainly is special.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:59:57 PM

Thats kind of crazy.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:25:54 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Vetarnias
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 12:41:37 PM

Rather sad, if only because there are some who obviously believe that acting in vindictive pettiness towards GM's is going to have any impact on the game and its developers.

Now, the GM should have been smart and never have done it, even though it seems clear that the GM knew it was a joke and decided to respond in kind.  But I'm a bit wary of those who would claim from doing such a thing that they have struck a major blow against Funcom and that Gaute is hiding under his desk as a result.  Now all they've managed to do is to get a GM to lose his job while giving Funcom the opportunity of demonstrating that, contrary to popular rumour, it is acting promptly on something.

I think it sadly demonstrates that some players just need to step back from their computer and go for a walk or somethin'.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 12:49:21 PM

^ A Lot of that going around.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:23 PM

Now, the GM should have been smart and never have done it, even though it seems clear that the GM knew it was a joke and decided to respond in kind.  But I'm a bit wary of those who would claim from doing such a thing that they have struck a major blow against Funcom and that Gaute is hiding under his desk as a result.  Now all they've managed to do is to get a GM to lose his job while giving Funcom the opportunity of demonstrating that, contrary to popular rumour, it is acting promptly on something.

To be fair, in the long run this is probably a good career move for the GM.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 07:42:09 PM

To be fair, in the long run this is probably a good career move for the GM.
I like this guy.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 09:09:17 PM

[|GM|]: um WOw this is turning me on lol.
[|GM|]: ROFL
[|GM|]: lol you like?
[|GM|]: oh…
[|GM|]: I’ll just have to tear them off and have my way lol

GM from Hell...  awesome, for real How do people like this get hired in first place? (serious question)

I might have had pleasent thoughts about talking naughty things with cute GMs during lonly nights spent grinding rep in WoW. But this guy? ewww *shudder*
My 'GM = All powerfull yet friendly and caring knight in shiny armour' illusion certainly has been shattered. :(

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 05:58:01 AM

A friend of mine's brother was a GM for EQ1 way back in the day... I dunno if things have changed (or if he was full of crap) but according to him, they just hired him off the street and they didn't pay much more than your local McDonalds would... so I wouldn't expect much from GMs.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:21 PM

When I was there (at launch, it was still Verant), everyone below me was working for SOE (which at the time was a New York based web games portal) through a temp agency, and most of them were straight from the agency (there were a few carpet-baggers like myself, who moved from other states just to work in games).  Being the most junior person who was a Verant employee (and salaried where they were hourly and no overtime was allowed) is how I wound up with so many 90 hour weeks and overnight stays in the server room.  So no, he wasn't full of it.  I think I'm still not allowed to say how much they got paid, but although it was better than McDonalds, it wasn't by a lot.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Funcom's new retention method: GMs who cyber with you.  
Jump to: