Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:53:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age  (Read 2656 times)
Ardent
Terracotta Army

on: November 02, 2004, 11:18:10 PM

This RPG was supposedly released today. If anyone has any preliminary reports, I would love to read them.

Reality seems to be getting darker and darker, so a Tolkeinesque retreat into fantasy could be a nice escape. (Then again, I suppose I could just read Tolkein ... hrm, actually not a bad idea ...)

Um, never mind.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 07:01:50 PM

It's good.

It's exactly like Final Fantasy N, without the epic.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 12:55:42 PM

I thought it sucked ass, like Mr Hat said it was a Final Fantasy. All the crappy combat, none of the great graphics/audio though.

Wiiiiii!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 02:39:37 PM

Quote from: Rodent
I thought it sucked ass, like Mr Hat said it was a Final Fantasy. All the crappy combat, none of the great graphics/audio though.

For the record, great graphics/audio = epic :)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 11:26:44 PM

Doesn't surprise me in the least.  EA will do as EA has done.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 07:29:59 AM

I like it so far (2% into it, 1.5 hours), except all the "epic" optional cut scenes are just cut from the movies, with new voiceover. However, it has far more game in it than FFX, which has overlong cut scenes and precious little actual gameplay. Combat is standard turn-based console fare, which may or may not be to people's taste. The desire for skill points leads to lots of insane overkill attacks, though, since APs restore so easily (chicken-shit me play on Easy).

Then again, you play a band of adventurers following the trail of the Fellowship - how heroic is that? It's second-class hero-ship, you get to mop up the orcs that were too late for the party.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age  
Jump to: