Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:06:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: (WoW) File Planet subscriber stress test open now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (WoW) File Planet subscriber stress test open now  (Read 12687 times)
Phred
Terracotta Army

on: November 02, 2004, 08:33:27 PM

Looks like if you have a file planet account you can get a week's jump on open beta.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 09:14:20 PM

fileplanet is incarnation of everything evil and vile with internet, it is like N dimensional goatse stretching its anus into incomprehensible ways only theoretical mathematicians can understand.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 11:03:23 PM

Didn't we already do this thread?   They must have an endless suppy as it's been going on for a couple of days and still not depleted.  Evidently, people who are new subscribers aren't getting the keys in a timely manner.  Support has told some of them they could have to wait up to 2 days for the keys.  Who would spend money on a 4 or 5 day stress test... open beta is right around the corner.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 01:14:41 AM

I skimmed the end of the wow beta ends thread before posting. Didn't see any mention of this, unless you're referring to the previous fileplanet is evil stress test thread.

According to a friend the open beta has limitted slots open when it arrives, so that will probably encourage some people to do the file planet thing as well to guarantee their spots in open beta. I wonder who sold this to fileplanet, blizzard or vivendi?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 04:47:27 AM

Quote from: Phred
I wonder who sold this to fileplanet, blizzard or vivendi?

VU.  Given that the "almost ready" patch isn't available yet, and I wouldn't expect one until next week.  You could tell from some of the Bliz dev replies they don't think the game is ready to be seen by their fanbase. It's just not done, and I don't think they're happy.

However, they need to get their asses in gear.  I think WoW might wind-up being the first game I don't play not because I hate it, but because they're so god damned slow to fix things.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 05:44:56 AM

It might have been that, Phred... I don't remember.  I just remember it being bandied about.  I don't mind Fileplanet, I've subscribed to it for years and even use it now and then.  I don't think it would be quite so 'evil' if the last couple of give-aways had gone smoother technically.  It looks like a very large amount of people, mostly new subscribers,  kept getting errors or hangs, things like that, to turn the contests into rubbish.  Instead of beefing things up in preperation for the onslaught that they must have known was coming, it seems Fileplanet were happy to let frustrated people refresh over and over... gee, I wonder why?

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 06:18:43 AM

Fileplanet is for the stress test.  Open will be free from there website.

"No, you do not have to play in the final stress test to participate in the open beta. However, if you wish to play in the open beta, you will have to wait until its start is announced, and then visit www.worldofwarcraft.com to begin downloading the open beta client and creating an open beta account."

Directly from the horse's mouth.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 06:54:14 AM

Of course, there is this bit from the same FAQ:

Will there be a limit to the number of people who can play the World of Warcraft open beta?

Yes, we will have to limit the number of players. However, a maximum number of players has not yet been determined. At this time, we simply recommend that if you wish to play in the open beta that you download the game and create an account as soon as the open beta is ready. Once we fill our servers to capacity, we will remove the World of Warcraft downloader and account-creation pages.

Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 07:48:51 AM

I find I don't even care anymore. Blizzard has beaten the beta/stress test horse to death, and I'm sure Fileplanet has made out like a bandit after hopping into bed with them. It frightens me that the hype juggernaught can still be rolling.. how many "exclusive access!" chances do people need to realize it's not that exclusive at all? Does someone know ANY online gamer who hasn't played it already?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 08:03:16 AM

Me.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 08:04:08 AM

*raises his hand with the rest of europe*

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 08:27:41 AM

Me.

That was the easiest 7.90 i have ever spent. I am glad to get to try it out early just in case I hate it.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 08:47:11 AM

I haven't played WoW.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 08:57:23 AM

Haven't and won't.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 10:04:06 AM

Haven't played WoW, saw it played by a friend once.  Not willing to pay to get into a 1 week stress test.

I have played EQ2 for a week, tho, and it seems to be a pretty nice game.

I'll give getting into the open beta/trial thing for comparison purposes.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 10:04:47 AM

Quote from: Shannow
Haven't and won't.

Ditto.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 10:44:28 AM

I haven't and I probably won't buy WoW or EQ2. I only ever got to ~10 with a couple characters in CoH release and I can't say that WoW or EQ2 would be any different. Leveling just sucks ass, period.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 11:03:06 AM

OK, except for most everyone, does ANYONE know an online gamer who hasn't played it? :D

I suppose this is a good way to show off a moderately completed product to the perspective audience all while footing the bill for it. Maybe I'm just pining for the fjords of meaningful beta, lost in a sea of evolving consumer relations.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 11:08:23 AM

I hadn't played until last night, thanks to the Fileplanet deal. So far the game is just what I hoped it would be, I'm really looking forward to retail, it's kind of a downer working on characters that will almost certainly be wiped.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 11:19:54 AM

havent played it.  Will probably check open beta when it hits, and quite possibly will subscribe.  I like CoH, but i also crave me some actual Exploration type stuff.

AcidCat: LOVE the avatar.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 12:31:13 PM

Quote from: SurfD
I like CoH, but i also crave me some actual Exploration type stuff.

AcidCat: LOVE the avatar.

Heh, thanks. I also really liked my time with CoH but felt the exploration element lacking. I guess I'm more of an explorer type in these games and WoW is right up my alley, I love this world - even the small part I've just started exploring is just so full of character and atmosphere.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 12:52:28 PM

I'm an explorer type as well. For some reason I like mining as well, don't ask me why it's a sick sick habit. WoW, from what I hear sounds like it will play into that, plus I like quests.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 01:01:50 PM

I'd argue that EQ2 is a better game for explorers but.. a worse game for casuals and in worse overall technical shape.

Still, IMO, it(WoW)'s the best MMORPG on the market in its current incarnation.  I'd also imagine fans of CoH would find the game quite to their liking (just a hunch).

It'll tide me over until GW if I decide to play final.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: November 03, 2004, 02:23:50 PM

Quote from: Rasix
I'd argue that EQ2 is a better game for explorers but.. a worse game for casuals and in worse overall technical shape.

I'd argue that as well if..

Exploration weren't directly limited by achievement.  EQ2 is an achiever's game first and foremost.  In WoW a lot of the achievement can come from the exploration. Not all of it, but a good chunk.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 03, 2004, 02:26:00 PM

Quote from: Rasix
I'd argue that EQ2 is a better game for explorers but.. a worse game for casuals

Well I'm a "casual explorer" and the fact that EQ2's world is ugly and boring and leaves me with zero desire to explore it further kinda seals the deal.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2004, 03:25:41 PM

I find WoW very casual, sort of in the same way of CoH.  Of course, that makes me wonder how long it'll last for me.  CoH lasted about 2 1/2 months or so but I did have a lot of fun and don't feel as if I wasted my money.  It never presented with the decision I've had to made in other games of whether or not I wanted to stick around to see if it would improve.  I know it will improve, especially with the expansion next year, and I won't have a problem jumping back in... mainly because of the nifty keen sidekick feature.

I've not experienced WoW's PvP yet.  I'm hoping to during the open beta but I'm not sure there will be enough time.  The game is so easy and fun that I reckon I'll fiddle with it for a few months in release.  EQ2, however, is ordered but will sit on the shelf because I'm not willing to invest the sort of time it'll take to give it a fair chance, at this point in my life.  Although I spend a lot of time gaming, I'm not sure I'll ever totally commit to an MMOG the way I did with UO or SB again.  I don't want a game where all my friends out level me when I take a few weeks off.  The quicker leveling in WoW, compared to EQ2, might help in that respect.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 03, 2004, 03:29:13 PM

WoW is very casual until the late game. Raids demand more of a time commitment. I noticed in WoW closed beta that it wasn't uncommon for someone to go halfway through a raid, leave, and someone else join the party. (This works very well if you have a warlock because he can summon another player to your position.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #27 on: November 03, 2004, 03:37:55 PM

I'm still intensely curious about the Battlegrounds.

They need to release all info on that ASAP.

What is the level spread for the PvP instance?
Will it be Alliance mission vs. Horde mission, with both sides trying to complete their end?
What rewards will be given? Will they involve cash drop from PC opponents that don't effect the PC or will all rewards drop at the completion of the instance?  What about experience?  Ideally, I would love to be able to level 50-60 without doing PvE, just chilling in the PvP areas killing equal level peeps.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: November 03, 2004, 03:43:22 PM

If the late game is too demanding, I simply won't play it.  Same with raids.  If my guild becomes too power hungry, I'll find a guild that's more laid back, or I won't have a guild.  I'll just play the bits of the game that amuse me and when it stops being fun, I'll move on.  I don't think I've lost my enthusiasm for MMOGs, I just think I've lost my taste for committment to them.  There seem to be enough games out, or coming out soon-ish, that I should be able to happily flit from one to another, like a drunken butterfly.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 03, 2004, 03:56:53 PM

Quote from: Signe
If my guild becomes too power hungry, I'll find a guild that's more laid back, or I won't have a guild.  I'll just play the bits of the game that amuse me and when it stops being fun, I'll move on.  

You sir, are on the path to enlightenment. Keep going, don't look back.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 03, 2004, 04:03:25 PM

My guild is pretty cool like you want Signe. We're very need before greed and very friendly. I'm not sure yet what server we'll be on in release however.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 03, 2004, 04:26:18 PM

I believe, because it certainly isn't in the game yet, that they intend to continue solo questing as the non-raid, non-PvP progression. Hero classes, perhaps one of the biggest carrots in the game, would have been perfect as a raid motivator. But instead they stated that it would be a quest which, while hard and long, could be done solo. The design seems to call for PvP, solo, group and raid end-games to exist concurrently.

Of course that represents an enormous amount of content, and there's no indication they have that much up their sleeves or the ability to create it in any reasonable timescale. Still a nice design goal though. Beats the stuffing out of EQ's raid only model.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 03, 2004, 06:40:27 PM

It might work if they designed the game to add quests easily.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 07, 2004, 07:02:23 AM

On a tangent,  since I just found out that I would have to buy  Sony Premium
Access to play planetside again, anyone got a key for the actual WoW Stress-Test  lying around ?

I have the strange feeling that I will not be able to play the open beta ...

<--- Europe,bored, finaly burned out with CoH

Come on, I just know you all are fileplanet subscribers ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: (WoW) File Planet subscriber stress test open now  
Jump to: