Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: In the future, you'll grind just to LOG IN to MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In the future, you'll grind just to LOG IN to MMOs  (Read 4404 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

on: August 01, 2008, 05:24:44 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/08/01/Human.power/index.html

Actually not a terrible idea if one has kids and desires them to exercise. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:29:17 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:12:47 AM

I saw Ed Begley Jr. doing this on HGTV or whatever the new 'green' channel is- he went out on the porch and rode an exercise bike for 10 minutes or so to cover the electricity to make toast. If they could make the initial costs low enough, I think this would be huge, especially if you could roll wind power and solar power into the bargain and let people sell back their excess energy to the grid.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cosapi
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

And another market for botting utilities/paying chinese people is born!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:00 AM

What if I just use a small electric motor to turn the pedals?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 09:38:10 AM

Shit like this will never work on a large scale.  One of the very reasons we have all these different technologies is to make life simpler.  The vast majority will not run on a treadmill for a half hour just to boot up the PC. 

Though I would discount a small niche of people being keen on this stuff.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:41:56 AM

Mom... I want a dog!

followed by: Jimmy, what's the dog doing on the treadmill?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:04:59 AM

I worked for a company once that designed small battery powered devices.  There was a flaw in the hardware causing the battery life to be much shorter on the device than it should have been (and thus shorter than the requirement).  The hardware engineer assigned to the task of solving the problem was in over his head, he couldn't find the issue.

His proposed solution:  He would design a small mechanical device to be placed on the heal of the shoe of every operator so that the device could be charged by the energy harvested from the operator walking around all day.

That was one of the best meetings I've ever attended.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 03:21:38 PM

I think I work with that guy.  A whole building full of him.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 06:56:54 AM

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 06:58:38 AM

What if I just use a small electric motor to turn the pedals?

Grin

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 12:28:29 PM

I have often wondered why someone doesn't come up with simple human powered generator connected to a battery that can run appliances in the home. 

Look at all the people with gym memberships, people who own treadmills or exercycles. 

Not only would they be exercising, but actually using their energy.

Couldn't such a scheme work if it was set up as an option?  In other words, you could run some appliance off either a battery or plug it into the wall socket.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 03:34:02 PM

I have often wondered why someone doesn't come up with simple human powered generator connected to a battery that can run appliances in the home. 
Because it requires a LOT of human power to create even a little electricity. If you'd like exercise to run your appliances get a push mower, a crank-powered egg beater, a wooden spoon or whisk instead of food processor, and wash your clothes in a wooden tub with a wringer. All of those were designed to maximize human power in human ways. Hook pedals to even a spectacular generator and, at the equivalent to 8mph uphill you could possibly power a laptop. Even an athlete would get winded trying to keep a refridgerator going for more than a few minutes... and an electric stove would be impossible without a dedicated team working in shifts. We use electricity because it's an easy way to produce work a long way from the source of power, not because it's particularly efficient.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 06:08:15 PM

Look at all the people with gym memberships, people who own treadmills or exercycles. 

Not only would they be exercising, but actually using their energy.

Couldn't such a scheme work if it was set up as an option?  In other words, you could run some appliance off either a battery or plug it into the wall socket.
It's doable if the power requirements are low. The OLPC was original designed to be powered, if necessary, by a hand crank but they couldn't design it cheap enough to withstand the forces involved so now they've moved to a foot powered "string" attachment of some sort (haven't seen it in action).

As pxib said above for the stuff that requires a lot of power it's just not practical. As a rough measure a world class cyclist doing a time trial will generate a sustained 0.65 HP over a one hour time trial which is roughly equivalent to 500 Watts of power. A recreational cyclist can generate approximately 0.35 HP sustained over a two hour time period or roughly 260 Watts of power.

Assuming a perfect conversion of energy generated on a bicycle hooked up to a generator and battery system (which doesn't happen but I'm not sure what the losses are) you could in fact power a modest computer in "real time" (e.g. for every hour spent on the cycle you could use the computer for one hour).

However something like a microwave oven which are typically around 1000 Watts or more would require a 4x or greater investment in bike time to appliance usage (again assuming perfect power conversion). So to heat something for 10 minutes in the microwave would require 40 minutes+ on the bike.

Edit: OLPC = One Laptop Per Child project and here's a site with an actual bicycle powered generator/battery storage system:

http://www.econvergence.net/electro.htm

They are claiming an average rider will produce between 125 and 200 Watts of power on their system.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:27:24 PM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 06:37:58 PM

I'm not sure why this is in MMOG, moving to General.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: In the future, you'll grind just to LOG IN to MMOs  
Jump to: