Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Expansion announced 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Expansion announced  (Read 17653 times)
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

on: July 28, 2008, 06:28:55 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:36:35 AM

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:37:49 AM

Any bets that amazing new DX10/11 features are in this expansion?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:46:20 AM

The safe bet is saying it'll never release.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:06:04 AM

I think the most shocking thing is that it shows how unaware Funcoms management is of the state of the game.

While the technical issues they have may be fixable, the damage to the games reputation is already done. People aren't going to come back.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:13:17 AM

Wow.. are they for real?   ACK!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:48:33 AM

ACK!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:58:08 AM

I think the most shocking thing is that it shows how unaware Funcoms management is of the state of the game.

While the technical issues they have may be fixable, the damage to the games reputation is already done. People aren't going to come back.

Devils advocate:

You know, it could be that we, as players, have no idea how well or badly subscriptions are doing. In fact last they said, they had 700k subscriptions. We all know that those that post on forums are but a minority of loud players, able to turn small issues into mountains. From my personal experience, the game was improving, and things that I encountered were getting solved/better.

/Devils advocate

Otherwise, your right, a lot of players burned by their experiences will mostlikely not come back.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:19 PM

Devils advocate:

You know, it could be that we, as players, have no idea how well or badly subscriptions are doing. In fact last they said, they had 700k subscriptions. We all know that those that post on forums are but a minority of loud players, able to turn small issues into mountains. From my personal experience, the game was improving, and things that I encountered were getting solved/better.

/Devils advocate

Otherwise, your right, a lot of players burned by their experiences will mostlikely not come back.

Yeah maybe its not AS bad as we think it is.  Not playing doesn't mean not subscribed after all, a lot of people might just not be logging on till the pvp patch.  Or whatever future patch that "fixes" their pet issue.

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 12:13:53 PM

Devils advocate:

/Devils advocate

Yeah maybe its not AS bad as we think it is.  Not playing doesn't mean not subscribed after all, a lot of people might just not be logging on till the pvp patch.  Or whatever future patch that "fixes" their pet issue.

I know I've been guilty about doing this myself in the past (/eyes DAOC) but as an outsider, the Conan backlash feels sort of different to me. Maybe it is the whole '20 levels of great detail followed by 60 levels of not' thing making people feel like they got taken for a ride, but it seems like the hate is a lot more specific or virulent or something.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 12:15:52 PM

You take a big risk when you target the hardcore as the marketing demographic (stiff system requirements + mature themes). 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 02:11:28 PM

Nah, this games dead. The forums are even worse then Vanguards were.

I think Funcom's upper management actually believe the bullshit numbers they're showing their investors.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 03:57:27 PM

um, when reading that picture, does the accent go on the first Ha or the second?

Is it "ha HA!" or "HA ha!"?

just curious

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 04:50:17 PM

um, when reading that picture, does the accent go on the first Ha or the second?

just curious

The second.

Hic sunt dracones.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 05:54:11 PM

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 06:01:51 PM

just curious

The second.

Wrong, a Nelson laugh is the laugh of mockery. There's no emphasis on either, hence "Ha Ha!"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 06:27:32 PM

I think Funcom's upper management actually believe the bullshit numbers they're showing their investors.

I don't buy that. Being unruly on MMO forums seems to be the new "thing to do".

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 06:38:39 PM

just curious

The second.

Wrong, a Nelson laugh is the laugh of mockery. There's no emphasis on either, hence "Ha Ha!"

In this instance I think it's one of those laughs that cuts out on the second 'ha' and trails away into a pitying incomprehensible silence.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 02:56:37 AM

Maybe it is the whole '20 levels of great detail followed by 60 levels of not' thing making people feel like they got taken for a ride, but it seems like the hate is a lot more specific or virulent or something.

This is something they could fix with an expansion. (Hint hint!)
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 05:50:27 AM

Then you haven't been playing MMO's very long. Anyone remember the UO boards when Trammel was released?

The problem isn't the number of negative posts... the problem is the complete, total lack of "How do I finish this quest" type posts.
Basically no-one is using the forums for anything but complaining. If I were funcom, I'd actually just shut them down. They are just bad publicity at this point.

Go look at Vanguards forums... a lovefest in comparison. Now that's saying something.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 05:57:27 AM

If I were funcom, I'd actually just shut them down. They are just bad publicity at this point.

They shut them down and the chatter goes to lots of other forums where they have no input at all in moderation.  I'd think that it's easier to fight a localized fire than it would be to fight one spread out all over the place.

The bigger issue is that Funcom doesn't seem to recognize that there is a fire. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 05:58:22 AM

I don't think ostriches can hear you when they have their head buried under 6 feet of dirt.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 06:00:38 AM

I don't think ostriches can hear you when they have their head buried under 6 feet of dirt.

Now who is the negative Nancy?

tongue

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 06:03:29 AM

Then you haven't been playing MMO's very long.

rolleyes

Please.

Anyway, no something has happened in the past few years, it doesn't even matter if the game is good, shitt, i mean a perfect game could come out, and people would still post like asshats.

Most of it is tone, and people not conveying what they are saying clearly. Every single post every where is always some form of "One upping" the last poster. There is no discussion, just thousands of people flaming for the most part. The larger the player base, the worse it is.

Its like a whole "generation" of gamers do not know how to do anything but insult games, developers, and other players as a form of normal communication.

It can't be just me that has seen this.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 06:11:30 AM

It's not.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 06:16:22 AM

Its like a whole "generation" of gamers do not know how to do anything but insult games, developers, and other players as a form of normal communication.

Internet anonymity is such a lovely thing.  Brings out the best in people.

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 06:31:10 AM

I don't know why but all this expansion talking has made me want to play Dark 'n Light.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 07:36:50 AM

Are there really 700k subs? And players get burned out by little content?

Doesn't it strike you as important as hell to push out an expansion, hope you sell half a million copies before more people get disgruntled, if that's even the case?

Sounds like a solid business plan to me.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 07:54:25 AM

This was not an official announcement. It was a passing comment in an interview that amounts to "We are thinking/doodling with an expansion", on a fan site.

AFAIK its the only site running it, because he said it to them. lol.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:01:17 AM by Mrbloodworth »

CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 08:42:09 AM

This was not an official announcement. It was a passing comment in an interview that amounts to "We are thinking/doodling with an expansion", on a fan site.

AFAIK its the only site running it, because he said it to them. lol.

Erling Ellingsen, the Product Manager of Funcom... basically the "Voice" of Funcom said,
“We’re of course working on an expansion, though we’re not really ready to talk about that now. We do think it will launch early next year, though. We’ll start leaking more information about that soon, though.”

Not, "They are thinking about it"
They are actively working on it.
They even have a ruff launch date.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 08:46:04 AM

What's so weird about it?
That's the norm in MMORPG world and it's not just the norm, it's expected.

It may sound ridiculous given the problems that plague AoC, but that's not even a news I think because in MMORPG world you always assume they are working on the next expansion unless they state the opposite.

The name of the expansion and a rough feature-list will make the news. This, is nothing.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 08:37:26 PM

There's nothing weird about it. It could even be a positive thing. It's just that announcing an expansion before they've actually gotten the promised base game off the ground is not good PR. It reads as "the game is done, now we're looking to expand it". Expansions usually mean new game systems and huge ramifications for the entire game and Conan is not ready for that.

Although, do consider we don't really know what Elling's "expansion" means. He doesn't say if it's really just a major content patch (a good thing!) or a retail box (kinda stupid).

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 12:42:20 PM

Then you haven't been playing MMO's very long.

rolleyes

Please.

Anyway, no something has happened in the past few years, it doesn't even matter if the game is good, shitt, i mean a perfect game could come out, and people would still post like asshats.

Most of it is tone, and people not conveying what they are saying clearly. Every single post every where is always some form of "One upping" the last poster. There is no discussion, just thousands of people flaming for the most part. The larger the player base, the worse it is.

It really isn't anything new. The internet dialogue around MMOs and MMO-like games has always been like this, right back to the flame wars that Threshold MUD guy used to start on Usenet.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 02:11:14 PM

Essentially : http://xkcd.com/386/  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 05:54:50 AM

just curious

The second.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Expansion announced  
Jump to: