Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:35:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Anyone still using their PS3? It's more Xboxy! CONSOLE GUI CRIPPLE FIGHT HERE!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone still using their PS3? It's more Xboxy! CONSOLE GUI CRIPPLE FIGHT HERE!!  (Read 7121 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: July 23, 2008, 08:01:33 PM

OK, I'm only downloading the 2.41 firmware, haven't played around with it.  Two interesting things in this one: pulling up the XMB while in a PS3 game and trophies.  There's a bunch of other shit too, like upscaling of BluRays, but I deem those things minor.  I'm interested in the tail-chasing I see, what with the 360 trying to look like the Wii and the PS3 trying to look like the 360.  The next move might be the Wii sporting dual A/V outputs, trying to look like the DS.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:56:42 AM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:19:15 PM

The PS3 will never have a menu system as lousy as the 360. Particularly not the new 360 menu system.

I would play games on the Wii if it had the power to output to 2 tvs.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:01:03 AM

OK, I'm only downloading the 2.41 firmware, haven't played around with it.  Two interesting things in this one: pulling up the XMB while in a PS3 game and trophies. 

Have trophies been added to more than one game yet?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 02:11:01 AM

So my DVDs do upscale on the PS3 now and I can replace my DVD-Player?

Yeah, gaming whatever. I look for a cheap Blueray player.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:12:45 AM by Tebonas »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:43:09 AM

OK, I'm only downloading the 2.41 firmware, haven't played around with it.  Two interesting things in this one: pulling up the XMB while in a PS3 game and trophies. 

I know they are in Super Startdust HD but haven't noticed any others.  I am going to assume that this is another example of Sony's software lagging behind again.  I should get a trophy for having so many distinct PS2 saves on my hard drive.

The PS3 has upscaled DVD for a while, I think.  Now it upscales BRD as well.

Current PS3 firmware notes are here.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 05:45:26 AM

Particularly not the new 360 menu system.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 05:57:43 AM

The PS3 will never have a menu system as lousy as the 360. Particularly not the new 360 menu system.

Microsofts inability to come up with a decent menu for X360 is pretty nuts.  It's like they have no clue what people want to do with it.

Hello?  I want fast access to games and videos followed by fast access to the game and video stores.  I want the stuff in the lists to be organized so that I can find things quickly.

I hope to god that MS isn't doing the gui for the Netflix queue on X360.  Screwing that up could take the one thing that could easily put them in position to win the console war and make the 360 a distant, no contest, 3rd place.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 06:45:09 AM

I know they are in Super Startdust HD but haven't noticed any others.  I am going to assume that this is another example of Sony's software lagging behind again.  I should get a trophy for having so many distinct PS2 saves on my hard drive.

The PS3 has upscaled DVD for a while, I think.  Now it upscales BRD as well.

Current PS3 firmware notes are here.

There are a ton of games that have trophies, they just had nothing to do with the network/account.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:58:01 AM

Sure I've only had a 360 for a month now but I don't see anything wrong with the GUI.  Maybe astetically (yes I suck at spelling) it doesn't look great but functionality wise I can find everything I need very easily because of the tabs and it's obvious where everything is. 

Sure it could use a better category system for sorting through the game store but beyond that I haven't had any trouble navigating through downloaded content (games and non-games) nor finding whatever feature I wanted to use at that particular time.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 07:58:40 AM

we luv the PS3 in our house

It's not only our BluRay player its our streaming media server vi a Winamp's The Orb.

I really recommend the Orb.  With it we stream our collection of vids and music directly to the PS3.  It's very cool, wifi enabled.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 08:55:04 AM

So my DVDs do upscale on the PS3 now and I can replace my DVD-Player?

Yeah, gaming whatever. I look for a cheap Blueray player.

PS3 Has upscaled DVD's since i got mine over a year ago.  I'm pretty sure its restricted to the HDMI port though.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:10:35 AM

A full list is here of games supporting/announced support for Trophies.

Edit: url typo
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 09:18:59 AM

Sure I've only had a 360 for a month now but I don't see anything wrong with the GUI.  Maybe astetically (yes I suck at spelling) it doesn't look great but functionality wise I can find everything I need very easily because of the tabs and it's obvious where everything is. 

Sure it could use a better category system for sorting through the game store but beyond that I haven't had any trouble navigating through downloaded content (games and non-games) nor finding whatever feature I wanted to use at that particular time.

Go try and find a movie to DL using the menu nav.  Now imagine doing that with 800,000 movies available.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 09:55:37 AM

I find the 360 GUI to be illogically organized and a pain to navigate.  I could lay out a better one in ten minutes with crayon.  Also, every theme I apply to it still looks like fried ass while the PS3 XMB looks slick no matter how retarded the theme.  Allowing me to pop up the XMB while in a game is only giving me more of something I love... I wish I had it available while running the PS2 emulator.

The 360 dashboard could do with some autocomplete as well.  More points to XMB.  Really, I am not upset at any suggested redesign of the dashboard, even if it looks more Wiiish, because the current state is horrible.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 11:19:21 AM

I find the 360 GUI to be illogically organized and a pain to navigate.  I could lay out a better one in ten minutes with crayon. 

Do you have paint on your computer???

DO IT!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 12:07:47 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 12:09:15 PM

Le art.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 12:17:58 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34:26 PM

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 12:40:26 PM

Shit would work fantastic with some sort of cloud design.

Market Place
                                |
                                |
      My Games---------Play--------------My Media
                                |
                                |
                             System
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 12:41:57 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 12:58:26 PM

I like that, like this?

And then it kind of branches off like the PS3 gui except more prettier.

schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 01:02:47 PM

Pretty and Microsoft are like oil and vinegar.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 01:05:16 PM

Pretty and Microsoft are like oil and vinegar.

YOU MEAN THEY'RE DELICIOUS TOGETHER??

and go well on salad?

schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 01:07:40 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 01:14:28 PM

I like that, like this?

I do like that.

I also like vinaigrette.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 03:09:34 PM

I like that, like this?

Mostly what I was thinking of.  Not sure that's an exactly graphical representation since I'd have lines from the center PLAY going to each option.  But I think that's what you've basically got captured here.

Reduces the overall amount of selections needed to be made in order to do what you want to do while keeping all of your relevant options front and center.  This also compensates for the fact that you're navigating with a controller and not a mouse.  Left Nav/Top Nav is a bad holdover from PC land here. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:15:55 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 03:35:16 PM

A full list is here of games supporting/announced support for Trophies.

Edit: url typo

I know at least one game missing there which will get trophies  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Anyone still using their PS3? It's more Xboxy! CONSOLE GUI CRIPPLE FIGHT HERE!!  
Jump to: