Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: PAX '08 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PAX '08  (Read 21883 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: July 22, 2008, 03:03:12 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:43:44 PM

Yes.  Been meaning to go for the past couple of years but never got around to it.  Figure I should at least go see it once before it goes the way of E3.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:19:02 AM

Considering it, it's only a two hour drive.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:29:13 AM

I haven't been since the first one, but I think I'll go back for the 10th. So couple years to go for me.

- Viin
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:21:32 AM

Yea, so I am going to go. Just ordered my tickets. Probably just going to drive down for the Saturday.

Here's a link to the show floor listing all the exibitors: http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/pax08_exhibithall.pdf

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:23:20 PM

I'll be volunteering there this year. I skipped last year, breaking my streak of going since the first one.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:12:49 PM

I'll be there. I haven't gone in a few years, not since it was at the old convention center in Bellevue, so this should be interesting.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:13 AM

So I've never been and I'm kind of put off by the sheer volume of ads:  http://s3.amazonaws.com/download.penny-arcade.com/pax/paxguide.pdf

I thought PAX was more about gaming -- this seems an advertising jamboree.  I don't want to be shilled at from every corner.  Wrong impression?
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:36:10 AM

Pax has been about ads since E3 died. Only since they don't have to cater to the press, they don't have to make any new announcements. They just have to make sure that their games are mouthbreather friendly.

Not to mention now it's about as intimate as exposing your junk in a professional football team's locker room.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 02:09:38 PM

Looks like a few interesting things to see. I'm sad I won't be there on Sunday to see Wil Wheaton though  Cry

Still going through the program to see which talks I want to duck in on. I could go listen to the NCSoft presentation and have a chance to get my DNA uploaded to the Tabula Rasa Immortality Drive!   ACK!

I just noticed that the Warhammer preview and the Fallout 3 preview overlap by 30 minutes. Sorry Mark, Bethesda wins here.

I may go to the WotC How to be a DM thing, just so I can yell at them about Orc Warriors having +14 Attack bonus for no apparent fucking reason.

There's a "pitch your game and win swag while someone else there uses your idea to make money" presentation. Alex Macris of Themis is one of the judges  Ohhhhh, I see.

I might even enter a Settlers of Catan tournament.

Anyway, I'll take my camera along and prepare a big report for everyone on how lame, or not, the whole thing is.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 11:14:36 AM

I was wanting to go but my Crohn's is kicking my ass right now. I might be able to make it on Sunday. That dude with the pony tail and the "Kobe Valley" hoodie? That'd be me! Like that'd help pick me out of a crowd of thousands. But anyway. Say hi if you see me.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 11:55:01 AM

AGC has a pitch your game thing also. Dumb as fuck that is.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 01:38:51 PM

Pitch Your Game Idea has been a mainstay since the start in 04 and has always been entertaining.

I'm working the Tournament Sign-up from 2pm to 6 pm on Friday if you want to say Hi. I'm also helping out with the WoW Arena Tournament from 12pm to 4pm.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 02:14:37 PM

I've actually got a good idea for one.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 02:25:19 PM

I've actually got a good idea for one.
Is it called "Loot: You are likely to steal something from a Grue," because if it isn't, it should be.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 02:47:50 PM

Actually, it has no loot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 02:51:29 PM

Your game sucks.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 03:58:10 PM

Ha.

My take on it is, since I have an idea for a game, I'm going to put it into code of any sort (even crappy) so I might be able to capitalize on it somehow.  I have several ideas for games (who doesn't?) but I'm not blabbing them to everyone.  Especially not to people who say up front that they are going to take my ideas from me.  Poppycock.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 10:19:34 PM

Pitch Your Game Idea has been a mainstay since the start in 04 and has always been entertaining.

I'm working the Tournament Sign-up from 2pm to 6 pm on Friday if you want to say Hi. I'm also helping out with the WoW Arena Tournament from 12pm to 4pm.

Only coming in for Saturday. If you see this before 6:00 am, let me know where you might be on Saturday.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 03:24:58 PM

Rock Band 2 is completely underwhelming.  It's the exact same instruments and 80% of the setlist is available in RB1.  One minor UI  improvement: hammer-ons have white edges now in addition to being smaller.

The Guitar Hero drumkit rapes face.  If I were the guy who'd designed the RB drums I'd commit seppuku right now.  The pads are quiet, they're arranged better, and the whole thing feels really solid, including the pedal.

Not sure yet about the new GH guitar.  The strummer still clicks, but it's much quieter.  Can't say yet whether it's less responsive for it, although it's way better than the RB one, obviously.  The fret buttons feel really good (no sticking, good spring pressure), and the new touch bar is cool; you can use it instead of the strummer if you so choose.

Oh, and bass in GH4 has open notes, which is a cool addition (and no chords in any of the tabs I saw).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 10:34:55 AM

Rock Band 2 is completely underwhelming.  It's the exact same instruments and 80% of the setlist is available in RB1.  One minor UI  improvement: hammer-ons have white edges now in addition to being smaller.

The Guitar Hero drumkit rapes face.  If I were the guy who'd designed the RB drums I'd commit seppuku right now.  The pads are quiet, they're arranged better, and the whole thing feels really solid, including the pedal.

Not sure yet about the new GH guitar.  The strummer still clicks, but it's much quieter.  Can't say yet whether it's less responsive for it, although it's way better than the RB one, obviously.  The fret buttons feel really good (no sticking, good spring pressure), and the new touch bar is cool; you can use it instead of the strummer if you so choose.

Oh, and bass in GH4 has open notes, which is a cool addition (and no chords in any of the tabs I saw).

The songlist is nothing like RB1. The instruments aren't going to be released for more than a month. I've seen videos of both the new set lists and the new instruments, and the guitar is simply a refinement of the issues, not a complete makeover (which wasn't needed in any case).

I think what you may be confused about is the fact that DLC is completely cross-over between the two, and you can burn songs from RB1 onto your hard drive, and then play them in RB2. In other words, it's old + new, not new = old :P

Rumors of War
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 11:50:56 AM

I'm not confused, just noting that old is about 4x as big as new.  I only mention it because it was so striking to look at the setlist at the RB2 demo and see what a small fraction the new songs comprised.  The huge amount of DLC really throws the ratios off.  Once RB2 has been out for a year and there's a big pile of RB2-exclusive DLC it'll look better.  For right now, I don't think RB1 owners are going to get a lot out of the upgrade.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 12:38:08 PM

Okay, back from PAX.

Pros:
1) E3-esque expo floor with lots of upcoming attractions demos.  My big goal for the expo was to get my hands on the GH4/RB2 instruments so as to be able to plan my future purchases, and I was able to accomplish this goal.
2) Lots of tournaments for those into that sort of thing.  If I'd had a few TF2 players in my party I would definitely have entered that one.
3) Good assortment of passive entertainment.  Movies, concerts, panels, lectures.
4) Freeplay areas for everything.  PC games, console games, even tabletop games, with a sizable lending library.  If all the panels suck, go check out a board game, hold up an LFG sign, and make a new friend.
5) Good hours.  Everything but the expo hall stays open until 3am.
6) Good location.

Cons:
1) Long-ass lines for almost everything.  It's like goddamn Disneyland.
2) Crowded as fuck.  This ties in closely with (1).
3) Staying in downtown Seattle is not cheap, and the hotels filled up quick.

If I were to go again I'd try to go with a larger crew to cut down on hotel costs and open up some tournament options.  And I think they need to either find a larger venue (hard to imagine where that'd be, though) or limit registration more.  Still had a great time, though.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 02:16:53 PM

I'm glad to hear it was a success, and it's still about playing games and having fun. I'm bummed I couldn't make it, but damn, I woulda passed out from the sheer crowdiness!

Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 04:18:00 PM

I'm not confused, just noting that old is about 4x as big as new.  I only mention it because it was so striking to look at the setlist at the RB2 demo and see what a small fraction the new songs comprised.  The huge amount of DLC really throws the ratios off.  Once RB2 has been out for a year and there's a big pile of RB2-exclusive DLC it'll look better.  For right now, I don't think RB1 owners are going to get a lot out of the upgrade.

I still don't see the viewpoint, myself. For $60, I get 80+ new songs to play--and I still get to play all of the ones I enjoyed from RB1. That's much much better than being forced to pay $160-$200 for those same songs, plus a bunch of instruments I may not necessarily want anyway (although i do plan on grabbing the guitar).

Btw, for the record, there is no such thing as "RB2 exclusive DLC". RB 1 and RB2 will share DLC pretty much here going forward, which is also a good thing in my opinion--again, giving players choice instead of forcing an upgrade for no real reason.

Rumors of War
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 05:18:32 PM

Oh, at $60 it's totally worth getting if you've already got instruments to play with.  Less than a dollar a song is a decent deal even if you don't like half the songs.  But I'd strongly recommend test-driving the "new" instruments before paying for them.  As far as I could tell they're just the old instruments with a new paint job.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 05:20:43 PM by Samwise »

schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 06:22:12 PM

As far as I could tell they're just the old instruments with a new paint job.

Hahahahahahahaha. Seriously. Ha Ha.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 11:50:58 PM

The convention rocked.

The after-party was better.

Rock on.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 07:38:52 AM

So they didn't fix the horrible drum loudness?

Ugh.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 06:01:46 PM

They had the sound at the demo cranked so loud that you wouldn't have been able to tell if they had made them LOUDER.  So I can't say for certain, but I didn't see any obvious signs of overhaul in that area, like different-looking material being used for the pads or anything like that.  And the pedal looked just as crappy; one guy had even brought his own from home so he wouldn't have to use it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:04:19 PM by Samwise »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: PAX '08  
Jump to: