Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Look out....another Slay led excursion to free UO land! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Look out....another Slay led excursion to free UO land!  (Read 31349 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: July 21, 2008, 04:23:24 PM

Looking at maybe firing up a guy on a freeshard. The one that caught my eye this time was

www.game-master.net , Adam Ant's server (look up his stories on the left, pretty cool)

Just curious if anyone else might be up for it. We had a pretty good run last time, but it seems that server is gone now. Chin, you there? CHINNNNN!!!!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:23:34 AM

Wow, he has really done a lot.  I may check it out!

edit.  Downloading now.  Suggested bit torrent link to get the right client:  HERE. 
edit 2.  Torrent is crapola.  Better off downloading from download.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:08:47 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:46:37 PM

I am doing things different this go around - I am going to focus on crafting, then switch to a more adventure based class.  Mining even as we speak!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:40:07 PM

I sent out a few PMs to some of the old gang, see if we get any bites...

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:48:15 PM

Protip:  When you first log in take a few shovels out and mine mine mine to 100 str - this is the best way to max strength and will give you 1k ingots or so to sell.  Beat on a drum for dex (can use razor to set this up so you do both at the same time).

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:27:17 PM

I made a guy.  Went out into the woods, beat cows to gain mace skill, sold hides to the NPC for some money.  Got bored, logged out.  I'll be around.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:59:36 AM

Incredibly bad, laggy performance.  And I can't actually sell anything to the NPC for money, they just take my leather or whatever and give me nothing.  Wow, I'm totally immersed in the player run economy.  I wonder if that one naked guy AFK at Brit bank wants to buy leather.  He's the only person I've seen.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:36:30 AM

Just got in game, there are people runnin around. Not sure about performance as Im at work and cant really play.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 11:45:43 AM

...and my adventure ends as the unattended macro check pops up. Bummer.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 11:59:26 AM

Incredibly bad, laggy performance.  And I can't actually sell anything to the NPC for money, they just take my leather or whatever and give me nothing.  Wow, I'm totally immersed in the player run economy.  I wonder if that one naked guy AFK at Brit bank wants to buy leather.  He's the only person I've seen.

-Network the servers are on was having issues; its been cleared up.
-You cannot sell items to NPC's - there is a consignment system; you give the item to the NPC, he gives you a check when a player buys the item. 
-Unattended macroing check only happens when mining or chopping wood. 

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:54:56 PM

Oh, ok...well maybe ill keep going then :)

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:18:00 PM

There's no way I'm clubbing goats for the amount of time needed to get up to a useful level of skill.  Not in 2008.  I'm out.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:54:28 PM

There's no way I'm clubbing goats for the amount of time needed to get up to a useful level of skill.  Not in 2008.  I'm out.

l2macro with a healer alt :)

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:56:15 PM

Thanks for the invite, but I'll pass.  I could never really get into the whole freeshard thing.

-Rasix
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:43 PM

So I decided to see if there are any RP freeshards.  Because I'm, you know, a Trammie roleplayer fag.  And RP would give me something else to focus on besides beating goats or whatever.  So I'm sitting in the IRC channel of an RP shard, when someone goes "Hey, are you WUA from F13?"  Turns out one of them lurks here.  I totally felt internet famous for a second.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 05:55:45 PM

I might just join you.  I am debating between EVE Online or this.  I thought all UO shards were dead (decent ones at that w/o the trammie crap) and that you guys had given up until I found these forums.  I think if anything I will log on for a few hours a day.  Unattended macroing check?... not too horrible.  I have to now get reacquainted and get all setup with macros again... ugh.  Oh well... I'm all for it ;-).

What has my attention on this is that its FREE.  I'm not too keen on the whole pay to play thing yet from a financial point.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:58:20 PM by Chinchilla »

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 06:11:44 PM

I am still playing - working on crafting still.  Hoping to be mostly done this week or next.  I am 100% focused on it so I do not get sidetracked!

Server is extremely stable.  There are not as many concurrent players as was on Metro - maybe 40 or so whenever I log in. 

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 06:23:56 PM

40 isn't too bad.  I'm happy with that.  Metro had at its best maybe 100, but that was on good days.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 02:56:58 AM

One thing I forgot to mention; the player base on AI is pretty awesome. 

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 04:47:06 PM

One thing I forgot to mention; the player base on AI is pretty awesome. 

Now THAT is very important as Metro had some major freaking asshats in it which was the majority of the people.  I wonder if we could get I Love Lamp in here.  I like that guy.  He's so easy going and cool.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 04:28:23 PM

Downloading UO as we speak.  I Love Lamp is still around.  He will be joining us!  WOOOHOOO!  Family is coming back for another go.  Boy has stuff changed since I last regularly played.  Just a brief summary - divorce, father passed away (this totally sucked to put it lightly), moved about 1,200 miles away (up north to PA, quite a change from FL), started a whole new life.  And that's the short version.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 05:17:11 PM

Downloading UO as we speak.  I Love Lamp is still around.  He will be joining us!  WOOOHOOO!  Family is coming back for another go.  Boy has stuff changed since I last regularly played.  Just a brief summary - divorce, father passed away (this totally sucked to put it lightly), moved about 1,200 miles away (up north to PA, quite a change from FL), started a whole new life.  And that's the short version.

Wow, sorry to hear about the strife.  I posted a link for one of the older clients which you can bit torrent - took me about 5-10 minutes to download.  Also, I just hit GM Blacksmith - I will be working on carpentry a little bit next, but want to shift more towards and adventuring class.  Still debating on what path to take; I am definitely going to have a poison archer for PvP stuff, but may make a stealth chest picker for money purposes- once I get some cold hard cash I will probably get a tamer up.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 06:46:10 PM

The divorce in all honesty was a good thing.  Even though she may sound "great"... don't judge a book by hits cover.  She likes horror movies and video games... sounds good right?  WRONG.  Horrible attitude and totally disrespectful attitude and lazy as f*ck.  I so thought that's the type of girl I wanted.  I was wrong.  My new GF may not like video games and gets terrified of horror movies, but she loves and respects me more than anything else in this world.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 07:53:09 PM

The divorce in all honesty was a good thing.  Even though she may sound "great"... don't judge a book by hits cover.  She likes horror movies and video games... sounds good right?  WRONG.  Horrible attitude and totally disrespectful attitude and lazy as f*ck.  I so thought that's the type of girl I wanted.  I was wrong.  My new GF may not like video games and gets terrified of horror movies, but she loves and respects me more than anything else in this world.

BUT, does she play UO?

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 08:13:49 PM

I'm playing a really nifty RP freeshard that's basically a new game built in the UO engine.  Custom map, items, combat system, and so on.  It's small and you have to send in an application to create an account, but the pre-screened playerbase lets them get away with shit you could never do on a shard open to the general public.

Like it's open PVP with the (thankfully remote) potential for permadeath, there's a system for house break-ins, and so forth.  But if you're just using those systems to grief, they'll just throw you out.  Fuck having a huge playerbase of random loltards.  I'd rather have a high enough GM/player ratio that you actually CAN "have nice things".

There's no robots, elves, ninjas, or neon weapons.  I'll probably never go back to "real" UO.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 03:09:47 PM

What's the link WUA?  I'm curious to look into it.  Since my GF works until 11pm most days I have lotsa time.

Oh and my ex-wife... she did play UO for a little while.  She was cool to team up with in UO, but in RL she sucks.

Currently patching as we speak.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 05:41:34 AM

I'm on and macroing up my stuff.  I'm trying to get a crafter first just like I had in Metro.  I had Chinchilla my crafter guy that could do tons of stuff.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 03:22:44 PM

Stealther is coming along fine - definitely a good money making template that consists of 90% macroing.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 12:04:50 AM

I quit my RP freeshard.  As neat as it was in some regards, the grind was absolutely ball-crushing, the custom combat system was not any fun, and dying in the wrong place could wipe out a week's work.  RP is neat and all, but at some point I need to go out to make money and not feel like I'm punching the clock.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 08:06:47 PM

I quit my RP freeshard.  As neat as it was in some regards, the grind was absolutely ball-crushing, the custom combat system was not any fun, and dying in the wrong place could wipe out a week's work.  RP is neat and all, but at some point I need to go out to make money and not feel like I'm punching the clock.

Wow, that sounds like old Everquest 1 flashbacks.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:54 PM

The RP was fantastic, but as a game it just didn't work very well.  Skill and stat gains were absurdly slow, making money as a newbie was even slower, and trying to have a totally player-driven economy on a shard with a peak concurrency of like fifteen people was just bad.  I mean there are player-owned NPC vendors selling stuff, but it's all random clothes and bits of armor that hasn't been restocked in a month.  Good luck just buying a torch or a pair of scissors.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 04:07:32 AM

Man, roleplayers are retarded.  All I'm looking for is a freeshard that isn't a bunch of PVP LEETZORS AFK MACRO FTW stupidity, but I keep running into other stupidity.  This other RP shard I was just looking at seems to enjoy jumping it's narrative back and forth centuries in time, for months on end, with characters from one era being unplayable in others.  Yeah, let me register just in time to get deleted, jackholes.

swamp poop

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 04:32:25 AM

Triple-post for the win.  So there's this one.

7 Year-Old reliable, friendly PvM/RP shard without the cybersex, "RPed PvP" or applications longer than a job app. Custom world, professional staff and developers, and the best players anywhere. Try us!

Sounds like a contender.  So far the production values are the best I've seen.  I haven't logged in yet, but getting set up is ridiculously easy.  Instead of laboriously modding the client with tons of custom graphic files and shit, you download one file and it does everything.  It even has it's own patcher.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 05:21:52 AM

I know I just keep posting, but this shit is so fucking assinine.  That last shard I linked?

First things first; We are a 'cooperative' role play game, much like a traditional pen-and-paper role play game with friends, around a table. In no way do we encourage or support antagonistic relationships between players or their characters. Friendly, mutually agreeable rivalries are fine, provided any involved parties entirely agree on the scope, duration and intended result of any such situation.

Due to the 'cooperative' nature of role play on Shadowcove, it is strongly frowned up for any player to role play any sort of opposition to the Crown. Morgaine allows her subjects to enjoy great freedoms, and in return asks only that when her people need her, that they also obey her.  Players who might consider opposing the Crown in any way must understand that eventually, such role play would lead down a path that would end very badly for the offending character; perhaps as far as 'perma-death', where the character would be captured, tried and imprisoned or executed, meaning that the character itself, and any of its possessions, would have to be deleted.

Their "roleplay" forum is a ghost town of people sporadically advertising their vendors and having scavenger hunts for missing flowers and shit.  As far as I can tell, there's no actual RP at all because the insane Nazi carebear who runs the place has shut down all forms of human conflict.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:24:06 AM by WindupAtheist »

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 04:38:07 PM

Damn bro, you are striking out like crazy :(.  I'm still in Angel Island and macroing my skills up.  Probably not what you want, but I'm enjoying it.  Hoping to have more time soon so I can actually sit down and play.  GF was sick and off of work for the whole week so no PC for me during that time.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Look out....another Slay led excursion to free UO land!  
Jump to: