Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Is it possible to run this thing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it possible to run this thing?  (Read 6113 times)
Phunked
Terracotta Army

on: June 27, 2008, 08:12:20 AM

I know, I'm sorry for being a mouthbreathing retard who whines about high system reqruiements.

Right now, I'm on the road a lot, so if I'm playing anything, it's on my laptop.

Specs:

nvidia geforce go 7600 (256 mb)
2 intel cores running at 2ghz each
2 gig of ram

more if you really want it (and or it'll help).

I got the damn game, installed it (took a day) and tried to play... a slide show with sub eq graphics.I know my rig isn't anywhere close to being the best (my desktop would certainly run this much better), but will it be possible to play this, at least at 20 fps on the lowest settings? Is there something I'm missing, or do I need to figure out a way to scale down my desktop to fit in my laptop case?

Thanks in advance.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:22:32 AM

I find it odd that you say sub EQ graphics, even on the lowest setting AoC looks amazing.

Have you tried increasing the game page file? It's a slider on the advanced menu specifically for laptops with shitty laptop video cards, that might help.

Aside from that, make sure shadows are off, you're on shader 2.0, and put the draw distance to maximum.  I know it sounds odd to put the draw distance that high, but the stuttering is all the loading of new textures, if you set it as high as it'll go, it will load all the textures and you'll get one big stutter followed by none.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:23:27 AM

Can't comment on the hardware, but my advice would be to cut, or completely turn off shadows, and use the new particle option in the advanced tab. I don't think simply setting to low does the trick, you need to go into your options and line by line, turn on what you cant live with out, and turn off, or really lower the quality (or what ever the option gives you) of everything else.

Major frame eaters are shadows, and particles.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25:39 AM

You should certainly be able to tweak it enough to play AoC.  I have a laptop with virtually the same setup, though I have even slower cores than you have (1.7ghz each, I think).  I was able to get approximately 20 fps on average in Tortage, and better outside the city.  Not great, but playable.  

Oh, and pay attention to some of the other threads regarding tweaks.  Start on high and scale back.  Definitely get rid of all shadows and the 3d occlusion (or whatever).  You should be able to fiddle enough to get it playable.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:27:55 AM

What they said.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:33:50 AM

I've got a shitty computer, the secret is use shader 2.0 (not 2.x), run at 1024*768 resolution and use "high" settings then tweak them by disabling shadows.  That gives me the best possible performance.  An unfortunate side effect of shader 2.0 will be not seeing the majority of spell effects but that's a trade off I can live with for now.
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:30:43 AM

I should also add that I'm running dx 9.0c, with windows xp sp3.

Which is probably why the lowest setting looks like ass.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 10:47:01 AM

DX 10 doesn't work yet in AoC.
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 12:03:30 PM

Good to know.

Also, I tried to do what you all suggested and I'm getting ~20 fps of EQ level graphics. What should I scale up to get a little more kick out of it?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 12:27:02 PM

EQ level graphics?  swamp poop

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:34:23 PM

Some will argue, but 2.0 level shaders make this game extremely ugly.  I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did if I couldn't get things running adequately using shader 3.

The character models at their fugliest are better than EQ1.  Also.. hyperbole. 

-Rasix
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 12:46:47 PM

You're kind of screwed, this game is particular about your hardware and apparently it doesn't like yours.  Oh well, the more you wait the better it will get, on PvE servers at least.

And remember: Rasix can't be trusted as he hates AoC.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 12:49:46 PM

Good to know.

Also, I tried to do what you all suggested and I'm getting ~20 fps of EQ level graphics. What should I scale up to get a little more kick out of it?

Whats everything set to now?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rasix

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 03:47:56 PM

And remember: Rasix can't be trusted as he hates AoC.

You guys are hilarious when you're playing MMOs.  It's like you're seeing the world through virgin fanboi eyes.  Every word of minor criticism is an attack of a hater. Then again, you're likely just messing with me.  If not..  ROFL

AoC I do not hate. I don't think it's worth me running a sub to 2 MMOs for.  Out of any MMO out there, it's the only other one I'd consider paying for.  High praise, right?  undecided

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 03:51:43 PM

Not when the other one is WoW? hahahahhaahhahahaha aohhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahaha
Rasix

Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 03:55:33 PM

Not when the other one is WoW? hahahahhaahhahahaha aohhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahaha

Woe is to me playing a working, complete game I enjoy with friends that'll help me out when I ask.   rolleyes

Edit: Removed ANGAR.  Sorry, short fuse today. Neckpunches for everyone next time I'm in town.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:33:44 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 04:01:32 PM

Hey guy. Don't take it personally. I wasn't defending AoC. I was Just Making Fun of WoW. As in, that comment could've been made about Lineage 2 and I still would've responded to WoW. Yeesh.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 05:39:55 PM

Wow is a good game. You like dishing heavy hate towards AoC...and most of it deserved. Maybe as a fanboi I feel like all you do is rag on it and give it no credit, that's my only gripe.

Maybe it is totally undeserving of credit, but I think we all know here it's not true. It is like a big turd with diamonds in it, that could eventually be dug out to a great game. Some people see the diamonds already and will pay to see em cleaned off, others just see the turd...or at least the smell of it is enough to chase them off.

In the end, the game will shed 2/3's of its initial purchasers and hopefully, over time, produce a full game worth paying for. Some of your arguments, Rasix, could be said for WoW at launch. In the end, most of my friends came to AoC...about a third have left, maybe a third more will go to WotLK until they realize...it's BC all over again.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 05:49:25 PM

It is like a big turd with diamonds in it,

Yes.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rasix

Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 06:45:56 PM

You like dishing heavy hate towards AoC...and most of it deserved. Maybe as a fanboi I feel like all you do is rag on it and give it no credit, that's my only gripe.

Sweet merciful Jeebus, I fucking hate fanbois.  You are absolutely unable to discuss a game in any manner that even hints that it isn't the robot messiah.

Heavy hate? I've said the following things about AoC: it's incomplete, it's a PC hog, a snarky comment on their bad patch, and shader 2.0 looks bad. Ohh, and that Bat Country sucks as a guild.  If initial posts were negative it was because I had a hell of a time getting this game playable.   

I like the game.  The combat mechanics are great, the world is well done, the audio and visual aspects are fantastic, but ultimately, it fails as a MMO for me.

From my own, "why am I not playing" post.  awesome, for real  I can see this game getting a EVE style rebirth in success once it's in a finished, stable state, but they still have to get there and I'm not going to give them a free pass because it's shiny or allows me gank with impunity.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:47:56 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 07:31:25 PM

It is like a big turd with diamonds in it,

Yes.

That gem was just for you :)

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 07:33:36 PM

I am not sure whats going on, but I had to log for the eve.  Everything was fine until an hour ago, then I got spurts.  I would be fine, then 1-3 second STOP, then fine again.  Was happening about every 20 seconds.  

Now that I think about it I had it earlier, and it kept getting worse.   I rebooted computer and did some other crap, same effect.  Dunno, maybe server is gonna go tango uniform.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 08:49:09 PM

You like dishing heavy hate towards AoC...and most of it deserved. Maybe as a fanboi I feel like all you do is rag on it and give it no credit, that's my only gripe.

Sweet merciful Jeebus, I fucking hate fanbois.  You are absolutely unable to discuss a game in any manner that even hints that it isn't the robot messiah.

Heavy hate? I've said the following things about AoC: it's incomplete, it's a PC hog, a snarky comment on their bad patch, and shader 2.0 looks bad. Ohh, and that Bat Country sucks as a guild.  If initial posts were negative it was because I had a hell of a time getting this game playable.   

I like the game.  The combat mechanics are great, the world is well done, the audio and visual aspects are fantastic, but ultimately, it fails as a MMO for me.

From my own, "why am I not playing" post.  awesome, for real  I can see this game getting a EVE style rebirth in success once it's in a finished, stable state, but they still have to get there and I'm not going to give them a free pass because it's shiny or allows me gank with impunity.

Ok, you made ONE line in 800 about Conan that said a good thing or two. The rest is criticism and shit, don't fuckin' facepalm cause of that man. Seriously, look at some of the other threads....you quoting yourself once doesn't make you fair and balanced :)

Rasix

Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 09:23:29 PM

Are you fucking retarded? 

Feel free to look up my posting history.  I think the last 3 or 4 pages covers most of my AoC postings if you want to get all stalkerish over it. Facepalm stands firm and in place.

Edit: Anyhow, help poor Phunked.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:45:17 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Is it possible to run this thing?  
Jump to: