Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 10:29:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wall-E 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wall-E  (Read 9542 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

on: June 26, 2008, 01:50:57 AM

I bow before the awesome that is Pixar.

I swear, these people probably have a Raptor Jesus movie sitting in their vault, and are only refusing to release it because the sheer awesome would burn our retina out thereby preventing us from watching all the other awesome stuff they put out.

Seriously.  Watch it.  Then watch it again.

I swear, pixar is probably single handedly keeping disney's animation department alive.

Only they could make a movie where the two main characters probably speak less then 10 individual words through the entire movie, yet you are still left with more emotional attachment to them then you develop with the entire cast of most stuff put out by disney proper.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:54:49 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:10:17 AM

So it turned out to be good huh? I've seen the preview twice but it didn't do much for me.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:13:43 AM

So it turned out to be good huh? I've seen the preview twice but it didn't do much for me.

I'm always that way with Pixar movies. Their trailers are unappealing (to me), but I rewatch the movies again and again. I figured this out somewhere between Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. So I'm just going to trust them and watch their movies. If they ever turn out a stinker, at that time I will reevaluate my policy :)

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:16:18 AM

Cars is really the only movie that doesn't "do it" for me as a whole.  I enjoy parts of it but I don't like watching the whole thing.  So of course it's my son's favorite movie ever... after Episode III.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:26:22 AM

I this guy looks legit Pixar movies. I have to make the horrible choice of getting certified for using a forklift at work or going to see Wall-E. I'm actually considering going to see the movie instead.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:46:14 AM

I have really enjoyed some of the Pixar stuff in the past (Nemo and Monsters Inc), but the extended preview I saw of this looked really, really dull.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 08:48:10 AM

Isn't Wall-E basically a not-so-subtle shot at consumerism?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:03:32 AM

Yes.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 09:13:06 AM

Wall-E looks like it will be fantastic. But then again, I'm a big fan of Pixar films, so grain of salt. All of the previews and trailers for this one make me laugh, and I like some of the work they've done with different camera angles and cinematography for it. Looks like Pixar is still pushing the limits of animated feature films.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 03:23:50 PM

Pixar + R2-D2 = YES PLEASE. Have to see it this weekend and I haven't been to the movies in probably a year.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:32:33 PM

It can't be any good, Brian Orndorf disapproves.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 05:12:03 AM

Was

supposed to =

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 06:02:58 AM

Was that a question? The answer is no if it was, according to interviews.
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 07:17:59 AM

I saw this on Tuesday, and while I wouldn't put it up at the same level as The Incredibles or Finding Nemo, it is definitely better than Cars.  And even then, Cars, being the worst Pixar movie, is still better than 90% of family oriented stuff that comes out.

WALL-E is definitely worth seeing.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 07:32:59 AM

It was. Obviously Wall-E looks like a little Johnny-5 (child of?)and I did not know if the two movies were related in some way.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 07:33:39 AM

Yeah, the Wall-E preview during Kung Fu Panda did nothing but give me Short Circuit flashbacks.  All it needs is for Steve Guttenberg to do a little voice acting and a robot having sex with Ally Sheedy while singing "More than a woman".  

Pixar is a fine company with some incredible people behind it, but the similarities were a bit too much.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25:22 AM

Cars is really the only movie that doesn't "do it" for me as a whole.  I enjoy parts of it but I don't like watching the whole thing.  So of course it's my son's favorite movie ever... after Episode III.

Rata...Rato...err..the Rat chef movie is this way for me.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 10:29:02 AM

I'm not going to hold it against Pixar that they make good animated versions of movies I have already seen.  Cars = Doc Hollywood, but it's OK.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 12:06:04 PM

If there is no pixelated version of a stunningly nude Julie Warner, it ain't Doc Hollywood.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 12:31:59 PM

If there is no pixelated version of a stunningly nude Julie Warner, it ain't Doc Hollywood.

Amen.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 09:29:40 PM

It was. Obviously Wall-E looks like a little Johnny-5 (child of?)and I did not know if the two movies were related in some way.
Wierd.  I have seen all the Short Circuit movies (yes, even the terrible sequels), and I never matched the two together.

Something about the difference in main body shape i guess.

And no, they really have nothing in common,

Johnny-5 was a military prototype robot.  Wall-E is basicly a self propelled Trash-Compactor (main body is essentially a garbage truck, he scoops up garbage, crushes it into cubes, and stacks them into scyscrapers).  Wall-E is actually an acronym for Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 01:19:14 PM

Great film. Definitely go see it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 03:58:01 PM

I saw it today.

I really liked it from a tecnical level.

And it wasn't that the story was inherently bad, or badly done. Just gave me the same underwhelmed feeling I get from just about every Pixar movie. It probably has to do with the family theme and me being a synical bastard with no kids.

I really liked the Presto short at the beginning, though.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 05:08:01 PM

Well done movie. Very dark, though.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 08:20:55 PM

Well done movie. Very dark, though.

That's one of the things I liked about it. It is as dystopian as pretty much any modern sci-fi.  It's like if Charlie Chaplain made A Canticle for Liebowitz.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 08:32:31 PM

I reeaaaally want to see this. The stupidity and requirement for translation in Norway won't put this film on bigscreens before late August. *.dvdrip I guess  Ohhhhh, I see.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 04:23:32 AM

I'm not going to hold it against Pixar that they make good animated versions of movies I have already seen.  Cars = Doc Hollywood, but it's OK.

Fuck, now I have this song stuck in my head.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 11:32:59 PM

Excellent movie, I was plesantly surprised. The trailer didn't impress, at all, but the social commentary aspect of it was very enjoyable. The magician/rabbit short in the beginning was also DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 12:56:44 PM

Just saw it last night, finally, at a digital cinema. 

Amazing movie, very touching and very funny at times.

I am pretty sure that Pixar could do a movie about bacteria on a sponge at this point and still rake in half a billion easily.

Also, just bought the rabbit short on the Apple store.  So hilarious, well worth two dollars.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 06:45:21 AM

We saw it yesterday afternoon.  I didn't think much of it when I saw the trailer.  I was expecting a different movie, even.

We all really liked it though.  I was impressed (as always) how many references they managed to stick in there for adults without beating you over the head with them.  Their ability to tell a touching story without a lot of words is impressive.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 01:40:44 PM

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 01:49:54 PM

My god.

I don't think the Slate person even saw the movie, or they missed the fact that the pre-diaspora people were all shown as skinny and healthy except for the grandma who they used to introduce the floating couch-o-doom.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 03:17:28 PM

Well what did they expect from a thief.  Wall-E is clearly a lowlife scumbag and should be removed from the cultural hivemind before he takes root.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 03:47:22 AM

My god.

I don't think the Slate person even saw the movie, or they missed the fact that the pre-diaspora people were all shown as skinny and healthy except for the grandma who they used to introduce the floating couch-o-doom.

The scariest part of that Slate article is how the writer seems to think that overeating and dieting have a negligible impact on weight for most people, and backs that up with links to some random blog, and a book review (oddly enough written by a senior editor at Slate).
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 04:50:36 AM

Yeah Wall-E pushed my shit in. That movie was really damn good. I Still think my favorite Pixar movie is Ratatoullii, but Wall-E was just fucking awesome.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wall-E  
Jump to: