Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:59:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Closed Beta Ends 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Closed Beta Ends  (Read 47895 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 31, 2004, 12:59:07 AM

If darkfall ever gets released, which from their website looks like a 50-50 chance, I'm definitely going to be reading the boards. That game design should be extremely entertaining in practice.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 31, 2004, 01:20:06 AM

Quote from: HaemishM

Look here. We KNOW these two releases really shouldn't be releasing this early. We know they aren't finished, nor are they in a release state. Both have some serious issues or missing content that should be there in release, in a world in which the industry gave a fuck about its own standards of quality. Are they playable in beta? Sure. So was Shadowbane.

Just out of curiousity what content do you see WoW as missing? It is missing talents for two classes but they are in the next patch. (if they don't show up in the stress test we'll know that was BS) and it is missing 1 or 2 warlock pets.

I also don't see any serious issues in WoW. I can't remember the last time it crashed or did something bad to my computer. Probably early summer.

I just think maybe a bit of your burnout is bleeding over.

EQ2 feels slightly less finished than WoW. However, both of them feel much more complete than alot of other launches I can think of. (EQ1, AO, SWG, I can think of more if I put my mind to it.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Masuri

Email
Reply #72 on: October 31, 2004, 01:54:06 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe

I also don't see any serious issues in WoW. I can't remember the last time it crashed or did something bad to my computer. Probably early summer.

Golly.

I played a guildmate's account for about the last 8 days and wowie did that sucker crash a ton.  Lots of crashes to desktop, sadly.

As far as bugs go, I didn't really see too awful many things.  However, the one glaring problem I found was a loss of status updates.  I'd stop running but the game thought I was still moving.  I quit fighting but the game didn't realize it.  I was done casting but the game was sure I was still doing so.  And it wasn't confused for a couple seconds, I mean it didn't realize it ever.  Also, mobs warped around a ton due to the same issue, I imagine.  This killed me repeatedly, because the mob would register as having moved past me and I'd get the fateful "The target must be in front of you" message about 4 times, then he'd appear in front of me and I'd be dead.  Not fun.

Mind you, this was as recently as Thursday night.

I hope they aren't rushing this game out.  I had a blast playing my undead mage, I got to level 19 and I liked the quests and the storyline for undead.  I don't know if I will buy this, but if I do, I'd be plenty pissed if this stuff was still an issue.  Maybe it can be tuned during a stress-test, I don't know.  Still, I am underwhelmed by such seemingly basic issues still occuring so late in the beta testing.  Although I've only played a couple of their games, I've always heard Blizzard's titles were tested fanatically and not released until ready - maybe they decided it wasn't worth it to apply the same quality to their MMOG.

--Masuri
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 31, 2004, 01:33:19 AM

Quote from: Resvrgam
So sad yet comforting at the same time: It looks like even the socially inept can find a niche for themselves in this world.

*shrug' It's just "cosplay" related to an MMORPG instead of anime or console RPGs. What's the big deal? Certainly looks more socially "ept" than sitting in front of a computer pretending to be strange people.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #74 on: October 31, 2004, 05:39:30 AM

Quote from: AOFanboi
So sad yet comforting at the same time: It looks like even the socially inept can find a niche for themselves in this world.

*shrug' It's just "cosplay" related to an MMORPG instead of anime or console RPGs. What's the big deal? Certainly looks more socially "ept" than sitting in front of a computer pretending to be strange people.

Cosplay gets the same level of respect as furries around these parts.

"Why?" you ask.

Because of 35 year-old men who weigh 280 pounds and stuff themselves into Sailor Moon outfits.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
esad
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 31, 2004, 07:02:25 AM

Quote from: AOFanboi

The difference is, I can sit at home in front of my computer and do anything I like and nobody has to know about it. For these folks it's a very public lifestyle.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #76 on: October 31, 2004, 11:13:49 AM

So because they engage in their hobby around other people, i.e. in a social setting, they're "socially inept", whereas you who shut yourself in a room alone for your hobby are "sociable"?

Did I miss the memo about it being Bizarro Day?  :P

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 31, 2004, 11:17:39 AM

Quote from: Samwise
So because they engage in their hobby around other people, i.e. in a social setting, they're "socially inept", whereas you who shut yourself in a room alone for your hobby are "sociable"?

Not necessarily, but if you feel like dressing up like some queer fucking anime character at least have the decency and good judgement to keep your ass out of public view.

Really, that's just common sense.
Neph
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 31, 2004, 12:40:16 PM

Quote from: Big Gulp

Not necessarily, but if you feel like dressing up like some queer fucking anime character at least have the decency and good judgement to keep your ass out of public view.

Really, that's just common sense.

Can we still dress up as medieval people?

BTW most of those costumes were quite well made and was good to see people not going about it half-assed.

Your nightmares are real.
esad
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 31, 2004, 08:44:35 PM

Did I miss the memo about it being Bizarro Day?  :P

You missed the relevant point of my post methinks.  The key word there is "social." Society doesn't have to know anything about one, but can know everything about the other.

As far as society at large goes I could be cleaning the kitchen, writing a letter to my mother or watching CSI like everyone else.  Unless I bring it up in a social setting,  it's nothing that society is aware of.

Dressing up like a anime character and parading around the local square is another kettle of fish altogether.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 31, 2004, 10:47:20 PM

Yay! YET ANOTHER thread derailed into the furry/dress up/loser debate!

Quick, I think there's a thread on page 3 somewhere that hasn't had this dead ... no, mummified ... horse beaten into submission! Hurry!

Um, never mind.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #81 on: November 01, 2004, 10:23:45 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe

Look here. We KNOW these two releases really shouldn't be releasing this early. We know they aren't finished, nor are they in a release state. Both have some serious issues or missing content that should be there in release, in a world in which the industry gave a fuck about its own standards of quality. Are they playable in beta? Sure. So was Shadowbane.

Just out of curiousity what content do you see WoW as missing? It is missing talents for two classes but they are in the next patch. (if they don't show up in the stress test we'll know that was BS) and it is missing 1 or 2 warlock pets.

The missing talents will not have proper time to be tested. By some accounts, content for the true catass bastard will run out really quickly. You do not add new things like that to classes in the two weeks before release. It smells of the "supR seKRIt" gold client that is supposed to cure all ills and make everything rosy automagically before release.

In other words, same as it ever was.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #82 on: November 01, 2004, 10:39:30 AM

Quote from: esad
Dressing up like a anime character and parading around the local square is another kettle of fish altogether.

I saw no evidence that any of the people from those photos were parading around the local square.  For that matter, most cosplay nuts seem to confine their activities to gatherings that for the most part consist of like-minded people.

But even if it WERE out in public, I'd say having the cojones to engage in their hobby out in public makes them far more socially capable than someone who locks himself in his basement.  Nine tenths of being "sociable" is self-confidence.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: November 01, 2004, 10:39:40 AM

By some accounts, content for the true catass bastard will run out really quickly.

I certainly won't mind if catassers bypass WoW altogether. I like that the game doesn't cater to their obsessive/compulsive playstyle.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: November 01, 2004, 10:47:07 AM

Agreed, AcidCat. One of the appeals of WoW to me is that maximum level is actually achievable in my lifetime.

Um, never mind.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #85 on: November 01, 2004, 10:59:45 AM

The missing talents will not have proper time to be tested. By some accounts, content for the true catass bastard will run out really quickly. You do not add new things like that to classes in the two weeks before release. It smells of the "supR seKRIt" gold client that is supposed to cure all ills and make everything rosy automagically before release.

Haemish,

I see eye to eye in a lot of your posts, but so far with WOW, the only bitch issue is the lack of talents and non-tested raid content.  At least that I have seen, but I have not heard any of the SOE patented lies that have been handed down.  To the best of my knowledge Blizzard has not played the super secret card, they have played the lets be honest and admit what works and does not so far.  Hell the fact the beta has been NDA free for how bloody long is pretty damn remarkable.  So far the only one playing the Sekret Card is SOE.

I do agree that Blizzard should not push the product out the door, but what I saw in the stress was very playable (at least on my box).

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #86 on: November 01, 2004, 11:13:26 AM

I'm sure WoW is playable. I've seen it played. I'd like to get in the open beta just to experience it myself. Friends of mine love it. But having watched it, I can't muster one iota of actual interest in it, only wanting to play the beta just to say I've played it.

But EQ2 is playable. And both have what I consider vital pieces that have not been tested yet and can't be tested properly by release. That's one of my main pet peeves with the MMOG industry. I'm not going to pay for a beta that is being called release. From all I know about WoW, talents are a pretty big deal for classes.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: November 01, 2004, 12:44:21 PM

Horizons is playable. If that's the highest and lowest definition of a game it's not a very useful one.

To me the fact that one is incomplete (remaining talents in the next day or two) and one has systemic problems (is this actually fun? what is the the real difference in the classes) and is incomplete puts them in entirely different categories.

No MMORPG, barring unlimited time and budget, will launch with enough content to keep the hard core occupied forever. But they're also the most tolerant of a hamster wheel as long as the pellets are fresh.

- Simond
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #88 on: November 01, 2004, 01:28:35 PM

Quote from: Kageru
To me the fact that one is incomplete (remaining talents in the next day or two) and one has systemic problems (is this actually fun? what is the the real difference in the classes) and is incomplete puts them in entirely different categories.

Yup Yup, that was the aim of my post.  Horizons was never playable, at least not in what I would term a 'Fun' fashion.  World of Warcraft is fun for me and will have my greenbacks.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 01, 2004, 01:43:02 PM

Stress test is open for fileplanet subscribers.  The actual OPEN stress test will come later.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: November 01, 2004, 01:50:11 PM

I mainly found that WoW wasn't a giant "potential" of fun but actually delivered in most regards.  I didn't find myself trying to level so I could actually enjoy the game (as made blatant in EQ2) and liked the pace and overall straight-forward gameplay.

I did run into the occasional mob that seemed to fly past my avatar and out of hitting range and I really hope that gets fixed before release but, if that's the only game-shattering flaw I encountered in a stress test (several weeks ago), that's not half as bad as the corrupt TCP/IP problems, non-highlighting gates in Freeport, crashes, broken quests, missing people & aimless instructions I encountered in EQ2 (which is due to ship in less than a week).

I feel more confident in WoW's stability and overall superior game design over SOE's LevelQuest 1.5 w/ the shiney that runs and looks like arse on high-powered systems.

"In olden times, people studied to improve themselves. Today, they only study to impress others." - Confucius
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #91 on: November 01, 2004, 02:03:28 PM

Quote from: Mesozoic
Stress test is open for fileplanet subscribers.  The actual OPEN stress test will come later.

Heh.. file planet is broken.  I've got a sub and I went to download it, and I can't I can't even login. I keep getting a "server is too busy message."

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 01, 2004, 02:17:22 PM

Quote from: Merusk
Quote from: Mesozoic

Heh.. file planet is broken.  I've got a sub and I went to download it, and I can't I can't even login. I keep getting a "server is too busy message."

The irony overwhelms me.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #93 on: November 01, 2004, 02:57:23 PM

Evidently, Fileplanet has 'broken' their customer support also.  People were complaining that clicking their support link to find out where their final stress test email is directed them to a blank page.  I tried it and that's what I get, too!  heh.

I don't know if you need the email to direct you to the download (I can't remember!) but I assume you would.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #94 on: November 01, 2004, 03:12:02 PM

Quote from: Signe
Evidently, Fileplanet has 'broken' their customer support also.  People were complaining that clicking their support link to find out where their final stress test email is directed them to a blank page.  I tried it and that's what I get, too!  heh.

I don't know if you need the email to direct you to the download (I can't remember!) but I assume you would.

I finally got through.. when you get all signed-up the next page says that keys will be released shortly, and in batches.  When your batch is released you will get an e-mail, but not before that.

Since Fileplanet has broken from all the people trying to access it (Good god they must be making a mint off of this) a lot of people are probably timing-out before reaching this page.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 01, 2004, 03:17:15 PM

x * 100k * $8 or $16 = mint, yes.

On the other hand, same x * 100k * 2500 MB = huge bandwidth costs.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #96 on: November 01, 2004, 03:25:26 PM

Thanks, Merusk.  I went ahead and signed up and got through right away.  They must have a ton because they still seem to be available.  I thought that contest was a different thing altogether but it looks as if you are automatically entered when you sign up for the stress test.  I don't really fancy having an NPC named Signe around... it would confuse me.

I'm pretty sure that everyone who wants a key will get one, or already has one by now.  I might be able to hold on to this one for a change.  Although if schild or Haemish need it for another write up, I don't mind.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 01, 2004, 03:32:43 PM

Well one thing is for sure:  As of now, Blizzard's forums fucking suck.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 01, 2004, 03:38:16 PM

no... that would be blizzards forums continuing to suck.

- Simond
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #99 on: November 01, 2004, 03:46:52 PM

"Embrace teh suq!"

Oh wait... wrong game.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #100 on: November 01, 2004, 03:48:34 PM

Quote from: Kageru
no... that would be blizzards forums continuing to suck.

At least with the forums sucking so badly, its ONLY the forums sucking. Not the forums AND the posters.

Any first time WoW people need any questions answered, you can ask me or PM me, I have been playing quite a while.
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: November 01, 2004, 04:41:27 PM

Screw BitTorrent.  Fileplanet servers for teh win.  If you go back to Fileplanet and "re-apply" for the Stress Test, it will issue your key immediately on the page and provide a download link on the same page as well - at least it just did for me, and this is after saying that it would be issuing keys in waves via e-mail.  I'm getting 380kb/sec from the server... definitely beats the 80kb/sec I was getting from BitTorrent.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #102 on: November 01, 2004, 04:59:30 PM

Quote from: Liquidator
Screw BitTorrent.  Fileplanet servers for teh win.  If you go back to Fileplanet and "re-apply" for the Stress Test, it will issue your key immediately on the page and provide a download link on the same page as well - at least it just did for me, and this is after saying that it would be issuing keys in waves via e-mail.  I'm getting 380kb/sec from the server... definitely beats the 80kb/sec I was getting from BitTorrent.

Strange... I'm getting on Fileplanet what you got on BitTorrent.  Slowest I've ever seen it.

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #103 on: November 01, 2004, 05:01:07 PM

I downloaded from the "undercity" server on Fileplanet at about 350kbps.  No complaints here.

Zip file is 2.5 GB.  Unzips to a 4 GB installer.  Delete the zip file after it's unzipped, you won't need it.   The installer says the installed game is at 6.6 gbs, I think.

Well, signup server is lagged to snot.  Might have to wait until late this evening or early this morning in order to actually register an account.

Kairos
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: November 01, 2004, 05:28:51 PM

The very fastest I've been able to get from Fileplanet is a steady 60 kB/s. Which, unfortunately, is superior to what I was getting on BitTorrent.

Oh, well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Closed Beta Ends  
Jump to: