Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Adventures of Slayerik and his Mouthbreathing Horde 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adventures of Slayerik and his Mouthbreathing Horde  (Read 9448 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: June 17, 2008, 07:20:00 PM

Lets start off by saying level 52 sucks. Cannibal Cave grind is....well...boring. I found a friend from work that logged on, Dirtymick. He is a level 42 assassin and just made his way to the Fields of the dead. Me, being the ADD fuck that I am, offered to plow some quests for him and my Ranger friend Staggs (50 Ranger) was up for it as well. Dirty, however, is a coworker and happens to be a major PVP guy from Eve as well. We decide it is time to draw our line in the sand.

Anyone that have leveled around 40 knows of the quest givers in the middle of the zone. We decided, none shall pass our bridge. Several poor 40+ guys were killed, and possibly killed again not realizing that we had claimed this space for assholes everywhere. We continued our rule of "if they are on a horse they must die"...we would stun them and my ranger friend had a nice trick of knocking them off the mount and killing them. Now to some of you, this may sound a bit like griefing...until you realize how close the rez point is. These guys formed up quickly, two of them were in a guild already, and decided to counterattack. With the use of proper group healing and focus fire through vent,m we royally trounced our adversaries. With the rez point so close, there were wave after wave of attackers. A conquerer, PoM, Ranger, and Demo finally took us down.

But this was not the end. We rezzed quickly, took cover behind a hill and drew up some battle plans. Obvioulsy, the whore PoM had to die first. But the guys on my side needed to try to come to me for heals, cause i would often get stuned and I could not close the distance myself. We had pissed off probably 5 guys at this point, and things were looking Grim. We backed away from the spot, knowing that we needed distance to stop the respawns that we killed from coming back to haunt us (learned this after PoM whore came back time after time).  Having a ranger really saved our ass, he knew when they were near and we always had the jump on them even with 2 to 1 odds. We continued focus fire and trounced them once again.

Some quick questing for dirty dirty went by and we saw a 60 on a horse. I land my stun, and the ranger lands his WTF owned you off the horse shot and we take him down fairly quickly. Uh oh....another 65 shows up...we fight him down to about 5% life and his friend rezzes, and shows us the way to the pad one at a time. Its finally about time to crash anyways, we give them a GF and log off.

To be continued......damn soon.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:23:46 AM

This write up is like a complete turn off towards the PvP server for me. My Conqueror is 21 and I've been ganked 3 separate times which, remarkably, didn't really bother me. But if the fun of the PvP servers are scenarios like what Slayerik has written above, then I gotta reconsider what I'm doing. I can't say I'm done with my little experiment yet, as I kinda like my Conq and the added feeling of danger, but this is certainly making me think twice about it.

That's not a slam on you, Slayerik. You're playing within the confines of the game and having fun with it. Knock yourself out. I'm just seeing that schild was probably right and those of us that miss RvR type combat are wrong for thinking the FFA PvP servers are going to quench that thirst. Or at least he's right in my case.

If that's the case, I hope Funcom gets the end game RvR type PvP in soon. I really don't want to play WoW and if WAR turns out to be teh suck, I may be done with the genre, period. PvE raids are all well and good, but it doesn't take long for them to kill my will to play.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:27:42 AM

This write up is like a complete turn off towards the PvP server for me. My Conqueror is 21 and I've been ganked 3 separate times which, remarkably, didn't really bother me. But if the fun of the PvP servers are scenarios like what Slayerik has written above, then I gotta reconsider what I'm doing. I can't say I'm done with my little experiment yet, as I kinda like my Conq and the added feeling of danger, but this is certainly making me think twice about it.

That's not a slam on you, Slayerik. You're playing within the confines of the game and having fun with it. Knock yourself out. I'm just seeing that schild was probably right and those of us that miss RvR type combat are wrong for thinking the FFA PvP servers are going to quench that thirst. Or at least he's right in my case.

If that's the case, I hope Funcom gets the end game RvR type PvP in soon. I really don't want to play WoW and if WAR turns out to be teh suck, I may be done with the genre, period. PvE raids are all well and good, but it doesn't take long for them to kill my will to play.

Most people are not as hardcore (when it comes to PvP) as they initially think they are.  It's better to recognize it now than to find out once you have hundreds of hours invested in your character.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:28:27 AM

Yeah I hear you, though what might not have been explained is at any time these guys could have just walked around us. Some did.

It was easy to start a whole mess though, and quite fun (for all involved, the same guys kept coming back and actively hunting us).

Next time out I plan on having some macros and a stupid RP reason, just for lols.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:33:23 AM

Well done, Slayerik. Almost like the good old days, just without any risk or reward other than a few good chuckles.
That's beautiful, and perfectly explains why if you enjoy unpredictability in MMORPGs then worldly PvP is the best thing, even in this bland, most recent forms.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 06:28:04 AM

That's not a slam on you, Slayerik. You're playing within the confines of the game and having fun with it. Knock yourself out. I'm just seeing that schild was probably right and those of us that miss RvR type combat are wrong for thinking the FFA PvP servers are going to quench that thirst. Or at least he's right in my case

I missed this the first time. IMO, FFA PvP is nothing like RvR.  Usually the "best of the best" team up (since they have similar play styles and interests, they tend to become friends fast) and less then hardcore lose.  A lot.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:30:03 AM

If you are looking for RvR like game play, you needed to go on the Cultural PvP rule set severs.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:33:59 AM

Having stepped away from the keyboard for a bit and thinking things through, I gotta say, I'd of loved to have gotten a crew together to kick Slayerik off his bridge or whatever.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 06:47:15 AM

Having stepped away from the keyboard for a bit and thinking things through, I gotta say, I'd of loved to have gotten a crew together to kick Slayerik off his bridge or whatever.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Assuming you didn't mean that in a Green Text sort of way, I agree with you.  His write-up made it sound fun.  Of course, I always tend to forget that I am Le Suck at PvP.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 06:50:55 AM

No I was serious.

But ya, I'm not real good at it either. I can dream though!
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:01:01 AM

Here seems to be the progression for me in most PVP game.

First few times: Overcome the rush. Make solid decisions, don't forget core abilities.

Next twenty times: Figure out actual useful attacks, debuffs, know the timing for rebuffs / re HoTs and DoTs. Make better decisions, learn what each class will do to you.

24+ times: Azzrape.

awesome, for real

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 07:04:44 AM

I think the average player dies a time or two and then says "man, I'm no good at pvp" and gives up.

As with all things in life, azzraping takes practice.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 07:05:58 AM

Well, I've died three times and haven't given up. It's more the play style of the OP that turns me off. But, like I said, kicking him off the mountain would be kinda fun. So, I'm still going back and forth about the whole thing.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 07:27:20 AM

I think the average player dies a time or two and then says "man, I'm no good at pvp" and gives up.

You are right, of course.  Actually, I think I am probably innately rather good at PvP in all forms (owing to being a video game addict for the past 30 years).  I probably just don't care enough to practice, for most MMOs at least.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 09:13:24 AM

Group pvp success boils down to realizing you are not the hero and doing your job.  Most people know at least the basics of their class but as soon as a pvp fight starts everyone turns into johny badass and you end up with meleers charging full groups of people, healers turning into wizards and stealthers not coming out of stealth until they got a guaranteed kill.

I am the .00000001428%
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 09:15:11 AM

Well, I've died three times and haven't given up. It's more the play style of the OP that turns me off. But, like I said, kicking him off the mountain would be kinda fun. So, I'm still going back and forth about the whole thing.

Careful, you might find you like the taste of the dark side!

- Viin
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 11:14:37 AM

Some days I'm good at PVP and some days I get smoked time and time again. Those are the days that I play on other servers. At the end of a play session, I just hope that I was part of killing more players than them killing me.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 02:43:47 PM

(Disclaimer: I'm Slayerik's older brother, long time lurker, don't post much. Glad to meet ya all.)

Well done, Slayerik. Almost like the good old days, just without any risk or reward other than a few good chuckles.
That's beautiful, and perfectly explains why if you enjoy unpredictability in MMORPGs then worldly PvP is the best thing, even in this bland, most recent forms.

I am a huge proponent of unpredictability and total lack of safety. Consensual PVP is for pansies.  this guy looks legit

Here seems to be the progression for me in most PVP game.

First few times: Overcome the rush. Make solid decisions, don't forget core abilities.

Next twenty times: Figure out actual useful attacks, debuffs, know the timing for rebuffs / re HoTs and DoTs. Make better decisions, learn what each class will do to you.

24+ times: Azzrape.

awesome, for real

Talk about a way to learn your class quickly!

PVP is also far superior to PVE (in my opinion) in that, instead of fighting a pre-made script (many times using a pre-made script written up by someone there before me) I'm fighting a real human being who can
react (or not), put up a far more serious fight than a mob, and most likely do something I didn't expect that leaves me dead / in awe / grinning.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Jashan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 03:00:21 PM

This reply, this discussion, is just another thwack on a dead horse for this board. But I just can't help myself.

I am a huge proponent of unpredictability and total lack of safety. Consensual PVP is for pansies.  this guy looks legit

FFA PvP is for sociopaths.

Open PvP attracts the most mean spirited, anti social, cockmongering players that slither through the gutters of MMOs. I honestly like playing in a game that at least provides those servers, so that I do not have to play with the people who are attracted to them.

I will yield the point that playing on a pvp server keeps you sharper than any pve player. It is sink or swim.

But I am old enough to want to decompress after a day of work, and a PvP server is no fucking way to decompress. Like Sgt. Murtaugh, I am too old for that shit. If you think that this makes me a pansy, just wait. Life will check you soon enough.

schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 03:05:28 PM

Bingo.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 03:45:29 PM

This is acceptable as an answer to the "Consensual PVP is for pansies" quote.
Any other use is simply ridiculous.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 03:49:12 PM

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 06:07:47 AM

This reply, this discussion, is just another thwack on a dead horse for this board. But I just can't help myself.

Open PvP attracts the most mean spirited, anti social, cockmongering players that slither through the gutters of MMOs. I honestly like playing in a game that at least provides those servers, so that I do not have to play with the people who are attracted to them.

I will yield the point that playing on a pvp server keeps you sharper than any pve player. It is sink or swim.

But I am old enough to want to decompress after a day of work, and a PvP server is no fucking way to decompress. Like Sgt. Murtaugh, I am too old for that shit. If you think that this makes me a pansy, just wait. Life will check you soon enough.

Quoted for fucking truth.

Hic sunt dracones.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 06:22:42 AM

I really don't care for your 'old' excuse. You are basically generalizing once a-fucking-gain way too much. Sociopath? Anyone who calls a fuckin' PVPer that got touched one too many times in UO and lost their shit. Get over it , it was 10 years ago girls.

I work 40 hours a week (and a 1 hour commute each way), and have a wife and two kids. I have played since launch, and have a level 53 and a level 20. You don't need to be a poopsock or lifeless to enjoy FFA PVP. So take whatever excuse ya want and run with it, all the way over to PvE land.

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 06:23:23 AM

For realz.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 07:55:58 AM

You are a bunch of insane closed-minded humans.

It's like calling sociopaths those who like horror movies because their way of "decompress" (or just being entertained) is different from the mainstream one, which is not even true anymore when it comes to cinema.

But I am old enough to want to decompress after a day of work, and a PvP server horror movie is no fucking way to decompress. Like Sgt. Murtaugh, I am too old for that shit. If you think that this makes me a pansy, just wait. Life will check you soon enough.

Works perfectly to me, and that's exactly what everyone who hates horror movies or even just thrillers usually say "How can you relax with that? What's to like in pain and suffering?! How can you like blood?!?!". I can almost hear my granny talk. She wouldn't approve FFA PVP either, I am sure.
PvP stands to MMORPG as Horrors flicks stood to mainstream cinema back in the old days, and you shold just accept that you don't like it but stop saying stupid things about those who do.
Sure there are sociopaths on PvP servers, as there are probably psycho killers who enjoyed Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That doesn't mean shit.
This whole thing against FFA PvP is ridiculous.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 10:11:03 AM

So take whatever excuse ya want and run with it, all the way over to PvE land.

That's really not helping your cause any.  You like open pvp.  That's great.  It doesn't make you a better gamer nor more hardcore.  They're games.  The only goal is having fun. 

I can see why you'd take exception to the sociopath comment.  Sadly, players on open pvp servers do seem to more strongly demonstrate control issues than on non-pvp servers (i.e. I'm going to have fun at the expense of others mentality).  This type of behavior does smack of some mild sociopathic tendencies.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 10:18:43 AM

You stop bringing your science and reason into an impassioned argument based on conjecture and generalities! Damn liberal!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 01:37:29 PM

{deleted for pointlessness}
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:05:13 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 03:29:19 AM

I love it when I get to use this.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Adventures of Slayerik and his Mouthbreathing Horde  
Jump to: