Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Game On 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game On  (Read 43744 times)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: October 31, 2004, 12:50:27 PM

I think the items may still drop in a henchmen group. The henchmen pick them up and wear them. For example I believe in one group the warrior henchmen changed his helmet.

They also just patched in 8v8 PVP and the PVP kills give you exp.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #106 on: October 31, 2004, 12:59:07 PM

Quote from: Krakrok

They also just patched in 8v8 PVP and the PVP kills give you exp.

Mmmmm.  What about items for winning around? To the victor go the spoils?

Also, I wonder what kind of prizes(decorations) you get for guild battles.
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: October 31, 2004, 02:39:02 PM

Did some of the tombs pvp earlier today, and had a blast.  As was said, it's 8 player teams now, with experience per kill.  And you also gain 1 fame point per win.  Make sure you get an 8 player group before going in.  DON'T rely on henchmen.  Possibly one monk if you are really desperate.

I was playing with my level 18 (19 now from the experience)  Necro/Mesmer.

I have Dominate maxed out at 12, and Blood (I think) at 10.  Yes, I realize 6 out of my 8 skills are in my secondary, very anti-spellcaster.  I normally have a few other necro skills (like level 13 bone horrors), and another curse or so.  But specializing so I can max my attributes is very useful:

Chaos Storm: 10 second AoE DoT, each second does 7 points of damage.  Each time it hits someoen casting a spell, they lose 14 energy.

Diversion:  Next skill target casts takes an extra 56 seconds before they can cast it again.

Backfire: For the next 10 seconds, any time target casts a spell, they take 70 damage.  I LOVE this one.  Especially for healers.

Shatter Hex: Remove a hex from target ally, any enemies near them take 70 damage.  Problem is it's hard to tell who's hexed outside of their life bar sometimes changing color.

Shatter Enchantment: Remove an enchantment from foe, if they had one, they take 50 damage.  Same issue as Shatter Hex with not being able to see who has what.  Elementalists pretty reliably have one up, and rangers that don't seem to be taking damage as well.

Shadow of Fear: Target based AoE - Slow attack speed for 22 seconds

Life Siphon: Target gains -3 health regen for 20 something seconds, you gain +3.  Fun when you cast on multiple people.

Energy Burn: Target Enemy loses 10 energy, and takes 4 damage for each point of energy (Instant 40 damage, and 10 mana burn)

You start out in a PvM area where you get jumped by level 20 and higher mobs.  I haven't had a team wipe out here yet.  The idea behind this, is if you can't survive these mobs, you shouldn't be playing PvP.  And helps makes for semi-decent battles where one team doesn't insta-nuke the other.

You are on a platform, and have to keep your ghost warrior alive.  He's level 28, so fairly durable.  You get attacked on multiple sides by level 20 ghouls with no real special abilities.  Then a little after by some higher level mobs like archers/mages/or these shadow beast things that look really freakin cool.  There's also huge level 28 guardian things around the perimeter.  They don't attack you on their own, but you can run out and attack them if you are quick, and they usually drop good/rare loot it seems.  I've also had one moron pull 3 of them and wipe the whole party except one, and then the timer ended and we won luckily.

Basically, you just need to survive the couple waves they throw at you, and then you automatically move into the PvP area.

The PvP arenas are all different in multiple ways.  Some have two teams of 8, some have 3, some have 4 (I think).  A few other things that are in some missions:

A priest with a rez circle - every team will get a priest that mass resses the party.  Kill the opposing team's priest to stop it.

A flag - grab your flag and bring it to a stand to get a morale boost.  Sometimes it will be a lightning thingy instead.  Where once you activate it, it hits any opposing player for damage periodically while they are near it.  For example, a warrior was chasing me that I had whittled down.  I ran to the flag outpost with him right on my ass, turned around and casted Energy burn for 40 damage, and then the lightning hit him right after.  He fell over dead with his axe in the air. :)

We had one oriental looking 2 team arena, it was a small flat rectangular one where you could see the whole thing at once.  It had doors you could throw up on either side of the perimeter to block the opposing party.  Died here when some morons let them get by and kill our priest.

The huge 4 way team battles were a blast (I think it was 4 teams at least, maybe they only go to 3).  But the maps are huge, with a lot of opportunity for maneuvering and flanking.  Will definitely be interesting if Ranger get a decent sneaking ability.  Just make sure you stick with your team and use the mini map and use control-click to call targets.  Good thing about this is if you get a bad team, you can just grab a different mix and jump back in.  And eventually you always seem to hit a good mix, and last multiple battles.

So, got a few fame points myself, and having fun ganking koreans with names I can't type.

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 31, 2004, 02:49:40 PM

Nice write up Azh.

I didn't know you could Ctrl-Click things to call them out -- that's great. Also didn't know about soloing w/o henchmen to get drops.

If anyone likes exploration/hunting instead of missions or PvP, here are names of the areas linked to the mission gathering areas:

Wild Lands > Sage Lands (from here you can go east to Majesty's Rest -- be warned -- Bone Dragons and a shit load of undead are in this area)

Bloodstone Fen > Silverwood (from Silverwood you can go south into Ettins Back or east into Mamnoon Lagoon)

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: November 01, 2004, 12:05:46 AM

Game off.

What a fucking fun game.  Haven't had this much fun with pvp in a game since quake 1 (I wonder if that invalidates my opinion here?  oh well).
AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: November 01, 2004, 05:47:02 AM

This is a must-buy.  Hell I'd buy GW in its current condition.  Another 3 months and they have true gold.  

Good to learn about the way henchman drops work.  I was wondering how some of the teams in the Tomb were decked out in full steel armor.  Of course, I suspect some of them are guild teams from Alpha.  I was hunting for materials solo with 3 henchmen, and it was just a wee bit slow.

Can't wait for the next event, for pre-order folks.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #111 on: November 01, 2004, 06:29:24 AM

Quote from: AlteredOne
This is a must-buy.  Hell I'd buy GW in its current condition.  Another 3 months and they have true gold.  

I too was pretty amazed how stable it was even in its current barely-out-of-alpha stage.  If they don't seriously screw it up, they have a winner on their hands.

I guess what's mostly coming is content? If there is one thing the game is weak on, that's what it is.  Not that they need a lot given how PvP-centric it is, but the more content, the longer the game will not seem stale.

Witty banter not included.
AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: November 01, 2004, 06:55:03 AM

As for content, I found plenty for 3 days, but yes I expect that's what they are adding.  I wandered a lot in the "explorable areas" and found a lot of zones, including the Farmer's Market oasis with advanced crafters.  There were some interesting undead zones with very tough battles, including one where I got wiped in a full group of level 18-20 players.

I don't know if anybody has done a map of all the explorable areas, but they are pretty cool, and I'm hoping there are other such areas still in construction.  To the N of Lion's Gate, I did find one non-functioning zone line that kicked me out of the game, which I presume is one of the unfinished areas.  I personally saw about 15 mission and explorable zones, and I hope they have at least double that total for February.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: November 01, 2004, 10:15:41 AM

I played mostly pvp the entire time and found some ridiculously good spells for my me/mo.  I was pretty split betwen domination, healing, protection, inspiration, and fast casting.

1) Mark of Protection (elite):  This is the best spell in the game that I saw.  If the other group doesn't have break enchantments its pretty much a 10 second full heal.  Every hit up to 20-something damage for a 10 second period of time heals the person getting hit instead of damaging.  Absolutely hilarious to watch 4 tanks beat on someone and their health jump to full in 4 seconds.

2) Orison of Healing:  The old standby, with this and mark I was the main healer for most of my groups.

3) Pacify:  17 seconds, they can't attack unless they are damaged.  Very useful when that annoying tank gets on you and won't go away.  Annoying because party members often break it.

4) Energy Burn:  As stated above.

5) Chaos Storm

6) Backfire

7) Energy Tap:  This is a huge spell for me.  Every 20 seconds drain 12 mana from someone?  Groovy.  Lets me get off that mark of protection or chaos storm when im low on mana.

8) Rez

There were arenas with 4 teams and 6 teams as far as I could tell.  Ending up on top of one of those games is a great feeling =).

Oh, BTW, Diversion is brutal...very brutal.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: November 01, 2004, 10:30:54 AM

That backfire spell is DEADLY.  My mesmer had tons of fun with it, backfire ->conjure phantasm (mean dot that makes your health bar purple) -->energy burn (target loses 40hps and 10 energy) on a monk and they are dead in less than 5 seconds.

I am the .00000001428%
AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: November 01, 2004, 10:39:58 AM

Yeah Backfire is pure evil.  It also seems to work well in PvE missions, where many of the boss monsters are casters.  Pop Backfire on them when they try to heal up at low health, and bam they're dead.  Admittedly most PvE fights don't require much brainpower, but hey it's nice to have tricks for the rare tough ones.
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: November 01, 2004, 11:08:29 AM

Quote from: trias_e
1) Mark of Protection (elite):  This is the best spell in the game that I saw.  If the other group doesn't have break enchantments its pretty much a 10 second full heal.  Every hit up to 20-something damage for a 10 second period of time heals the person getting hit instead of damaging.  Absolutely hilarious to watch 4 tanks beat on someone and their health jump to full in 4 seconds.

This must have been what one ranger (forgot secondary) I was fighting in PvP had up.  As a few of my skills are DOTs the usually do 10 something damage a second.  His life would abrely go down, and when it did, it would pop right back up.  I eventually cast shatter enchantment, and his life promptly dropped down to half or so (as I'm guessing my other stuff kicked in at that point when he tried to heal). :D

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #117 on: November 01, 2004, 11:30:47 AM

The PVP is a blast. Some bastard kept casting Edge of Extinction in a few of the games we had, causing neither side to win. What EoE does is that every time anyone dies, everyone takes like 25 damage or some such within a certain range. VERY nasty.

I found that my Warrior/Ranger combo wasn't working like I wanted it to. I ended up not using the bow very much at all, because it just slowed me down. May want to go Warrior/Monk or something else when I get into beta.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #118 on: November 01, 2004, 11:35:46 AM

Quote from: HaemishM

I found that my Warrior/Ranger combo wasn't working like I wanted it to. I ended up not using the bow very much at all, because it just slowed me down. May want to go Warrior/Monk or something else when I get into beta.

Warrior/monk is nice for PVE and seemingly good for PVP (didn't PVP with that char).  You can get rid of cripple/blind/poison and deep wound rather easily, which are great when you've got a monk who's already got too much to do.   Plus, there's some nice buffs or other utility heals that you can utilize to increase your survivability.

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #119 on: November 01, 2004, 12:03:46 PM

My impressions (short version):

Graphics:

Good, passable, didn't kill my computer.  Not enough character options.  I really hope by release they have more than one race or appearance type for the characters or more customization options. Everyone looked the fucking same.

Interface:

Clunky.  Buttons are too big and the chat mechanism SUCKS.  A lot of it was non-intuitive.  Targetting at times was difficult.

Combat:

Fast paced and fun.  The PVP was a blast and the PVE was also pretty fun.  Hooray for a game that made non-retarded AI for henchmen.

Reminded me a lot of Diablo but without some of the gross imbalances and the need to wade through 10000 monsters on your screen at the same time.

Missions were for the most part well done and towards the end very challenging in parts.  Keeping your monk bitch alive can be a chore. Explorable areas need a denser monster population.

Didn't get to play PVP much, but it was fast paced almost to the point that I felt lost out there. I'm not going to be able to play a healer type in this one I don't think, not offensive enough for me.  Should be great fun, but I hope it's just not going to be 8 man teams.  I'd like the option for smaller groups.  

Loot/Crafting:

I liked the relatively low power differential between weapons.  This should allow PVP to be less of "who has the massively brutal king's sword of haste".   I liked how loot got dispersed within a party although sometimes it felt like the random number generator broke at times.  Really, it should just use a rotating loot order.

This crafting system is somewhat cool, but it's going to be a PITA for a heavily gear influenced class.

Gripes and crap I never figured out:

How the hell do you customize your armor?  I know the stuff you start off with is, but how do you accomplish this?

How do you get weapon upgrades?

Why don't they allow for waypoints to the different settlements? Running to that one guy north of LA was a chore after the first time.

Henchmen eat up too much of the drops when you play alone.  I feel like I get more loot when I'm in a full group.

Can they please make the crafting experience a little less catassy? This is really going to blow for meleers and unless you really like spending a lot of time gathering components.  If you're forced to deal with this from level 1.. it could get ugly.  

How the hell are they going to balance this economy unless they start us out at level 1 and go from there?  Stuff right now doesn't drop a lot of gold + worth while loot. So, how bad is this going to seem just starting out? Or is the entire dropped loot enconomy a constant scale throughout? How are they going to adjust skill buying if you've been buying since level 1?

The cutscene writing is terrible. And they're long too.  I hope the creative person there is busy writing AI scripts or something, because I shudder if it's their fulltime job. I think I wrote better fiction in 2nd grade.

Overall:

This is a game I will buy as long as it stays off the crimson road of catass.  It's fun, it's casual, it's decent looking, and it doesn't kill my computer.  It's something that I wouldn't feel the need to play 24/7.

It's got some sore spots (crafting/interface), but it's a beta and it's stuff they should be able to work through and fix.  

Instant gratification of my impulses without the compulsory MMORPG genre bullshit.  HOO-RAY.

-Rasix
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: November 01, 2004, 12:16:42 PM

I fucking hate EoE, its just ridiculous.

Crafting definitely was way too much catass for my tastes, so I avoided it and it didn't seem to affect (is it affect or effect in this case?) me too poorly in PvP at least.  I wasn't a melee class however so that might be why.  The combat interface doesn't bother me at all, I just clicked the box to disable mouse movement and often used keys to target instead of the mouse.  The chat interface is weird.  They need a reply key desperately.
Rasix

Reply #121 on: November 01, 2004, 12:20:46 PM

Unclicking mouse movement would have helped me a lot.  I never bothered to see if I could do that....

-Rasix
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #122 on: November 01, 2004, 12:44:02 PM

Hmm..

I could not get into the game.  I tried a variety of class combos and just nada.  The advent of the npc hirelings was nice, some of the quests were okay, but it just felt lacking.  I was not a big fan of dungeon seige and it felt a lot like dungeon seige, so that could easily have been the issue.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: November 01, 2004, 01:03:30 PM

I hated dungeon siege and didn't find Guild Wars to be particular similar to it at all, but again, I played 75% of the time in PvP.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #124 on: November 01, 2004, 01:20:20 PM

One thing I found that you might not know about. Go to your Guild Hall, once you get invited to a guild. That is apparently a place where you can set up guild vs. guild fights (instead of random PVP matches). I think you can either have specific challenges set up or you can have make matchups. I don't know if this is 8v8, or open battles or what. But it does bode well.

I didn't realize you could take off mouse click movement. That would have helped me a lot in PVP. I also had a LOT of lag last night around 9-10 pm CST.

My wife fell in love with the game. It's got the trader's economy she loved from EQ (with crafting materials), it's fun, and the PVE is decent too. She got to level 19, and was in a mission fighting the bigass level 24 dragon (which looked cool as hell).

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: November 01, 2004, 05:42:19 PM

I played one of the guild battles. It was 8v8 castle vs. castle assault. Kill the enemy lord. It also had flags and morale capture points. You needed a thief npc to open the enemy gate and there were npc guards at castles.

----

I couldn't figure out what I was doing with my warrior/ranger either. In the E3 preview I did warrior/elemental and that seemed much better. This time I started out with hammer only until maybe lvl 19 or so then switched to sword and finally bow+sword/shield+pet. The ranger gets all kinds of buff skills for the pet (like 10 lifesteal, +110 health, 5 base dmg reduct, 33% faster attack, 34% armor piece) and the buffs lasts 30-120 seconds depending on the buff.

I also used the shout skills the warrior gets. One does AE +20 armor for 10 secs and the other I was using was AE + runspeed for 10 seconds. Last two skills I used were troll ungent and healing sig. The troll ungent heals 8 per sec for 10 secs and healing sig is instant +70 heal. That template seemed to work well in PvP and suck in PvE (does little dmg but major buffs for friends).

With the above I seemed to be able to assure a win in 2 out of 3 random 8v8 PVP. Buff my pet at the start and then rush through the center attacking healers and spell casters with the bow, sucking up their damage, and using the shouts. The TAB key cycles targets and SPACE key attacks the target. I kept switching targets to freak the casters out. The pet was a pretty crappy dmg dealer but it sucked up dmg and distracted them at the same time.

The sword in the sword/shield combo had flaming effect plus crappy dmg and the shield was +15 armor. I'd have 2-3 guys beating on me and sometimes lasted until after my whole team had been wiped or we routed them and won.

I leveled from 20 to 21 on Sunday doing that in PVP only. I tried out a mesmer/warrior on Sunday as well but even using that backfire spell etc. I didn't seem to be doing too well. I don't think I'm cut out to be a spell caster.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: November 01, 2004, 05:51:09 PM

I started off with a Ranger/Mesmer but it wasn't aggressive enough for me. The ranger part was fun but I had a hard time utilizing my Mesmer skills affectively. Granted, I only got to level 17 and mostly PvPed, so I didn't capture any of the cooler mesmer skills.

I ended up playing a Warrior/Necro which was a load of fun. Aggressive enough and allowed me to Syphon enemies for my own health regen and also Bleed them with my sword skills. Tended to have problems with the other warriors that had the nicer armor and weapons, but only when I was stuck by myself.

All in all, I had a blast and can't wait for the next world preview event!

- Viin
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: November 01, 2004, 07:29:55 PM

Playing a Mesmer/Elem in PvP was tough -- without good healer support I'm toast. Biggest problem was that even in 8v8 at the tombs -- which became 4 groups of 8 a after we won the first battle -- with no player combo coordination I found it hard to be effective. I wound up taking more elementalist skills just to dish out damage.

I love Backfire, and I captured a skill called Empathy which, for 10 seconds, causes 10 points of damage each time an opponent "attacks". Casting Backlash and Empathy on the same opponent means they take damage whether they cast spells or attack, which was a nice combo.

My favorite up-close melee spell is Lava Font -- does tons of dot in close AE and is fast to cast and recharge.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 01, 2004, 08:16:14 PM

Necros are a little too weak for a primary class.  Thier class trait, regening mana based on the number of corpses around you, really isn't that great.    

I found my necro/mesmer a bit weak in PvP.  You're basically all support, no damage.  One or the other is alright, but together, you're just not well rounded enough.  The second an archer decides he wants you dead, there's nothing you can do unless someone draws the archers attention or you get a healer spamming you.   I ended up taking a few elementalist skills just to be more usefull in groups.

I think part of the problem in the combo is you need to be extremely calculating, stay back, raise minions when possible, and assist your melee's with debuffs.   Unfortunately, because of the terrain, it's often really hard to see your allies, and that "hit T to attack what I'm attacking" crap doesn't seem to work.  You  really need to be able to select an allies name, and auto-assist them if you try to attack them directly.  Also, most matches were over way too fast, in which you really don't get a chance to shine at all.  Some of this was due to playing in pick-up groups, but who knows how much that would change later.

They need to work on some things though.

1) You need to be able to customize the gui more
2) Chat needs a major overhall.  Need to use/support typical mmorpg chat switches, and you need to be able to capture the damage you do/take to screen.
3) Remove being kicked from the tomb if you lose.  Doing the 3 minute entry test everytime your team takes a lose was annoying.
4) Loot distribution was horrible.  I'd see people get 10+ drops, and I'd usually end up only getting 3-4.
5) Crafting felt too grindy.  
6) Big disparity between average weapon drops, and great weapons.  Too wide.  I think it needs to be a bit lower.
7) Alot of skills need better descriptions, and you should be able to see the cool down/cast time/mana consumption for skills when you're looking at them at charm crafters.
schild
Administrator

Reply #129 on: November 01, 2004, 08:18:08 PM

The necros little death minions you get from corpses seem to cast corpse explosion. Made me a more potent soloer. At least I assume they were casting corpse explosion - as they were exploding and killing. Also, necro minions don't take lewt. Which is awesome.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 01, 2004, 09:32:21 PM

At the tail of the preview I got a Monk/Necro mix in PvE to level 16. I really liked the possible combos between these classes -- use blood magic (Dark Pact) drain your own life to cause dmg then use a small heal to restore the life -- both spell recharge fast and have minor energy costs.

The Retribution enchantment is also a great henchman/friend buff.

But I found myself missing two elementalist glyphs I used a lot with my Mes/Elem: Lesser Energy (next spell takes 15 less energy to cast) and Glyph of Renewal (next spell recharges in half the normal time).  Lesser Energy really helped me cast high cost spells when my energy was low.

Side note, I have a feeling a number of the animations for spells were placeholders. For example, Meteor was just plain non-existant -- a yellow flash down on someone's head doesn't look like a meteor to me.

Looking forward to playing again this weekend.

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: November 01, 2004, 09:33:15 PM

Bone Horrors?  I never saw any one mine, or that of other people cast corpse explosion.

Maybe Bone Fiends do, but I didn't capture any elite spells (wish I did, since those fiends are alot tougher than horrors).
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #132 on: November 01, 2004, 10:08:21 PM

Quote from: Sobelius

Looking forward to playing again this weekend.

Wha-Wha-What?
schild
Administrator

Reply #133 on: November 01, 2004, 10:16:21 PM

Pre-Order people get a private weekend (the first weekend of each month) until the second week of february when it's released.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #134 on: November 02, 2004, 09:44:03 AM

Do the ranger pets require you to capture an animal? Or does "Charm Animal" really just summon a pet? The name of the spell led me to believe it was a PVE only spell, and thus worthless in PVP, so I never got it.

RTFM, I know, blow me. I have questions. You have answers.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 02, 2004, 09:52:05 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Do the ranger pets require you to capture an animal? Or does "Charm Animal" really just summon a pet? The name of the spell led me to believe it was a PVE only spell, and thus worthless in PVP, so I never got it.

RTFM, I know, blow me. I have questions. You have answers.

You had to find an animal to charm and level him up, after that it followed you everywhere as long as you had the charm animal skill equiped.  That is until people figured out they could charm other peoples pets in pvp and stole your lvl 20 lynx :P

I am the .00000001428%
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 02, 2004, 10:03:51 AM

Quote from: Threash
You had to find an animal to charm and level him up, after that it followed you everywhere as long as you had the charm animal skill equiped.  That is until people figured out they could charm other peoples pets in pvp and stole your lvl 20 lynx :P

ROFL -- never saw that happen but just the thought of it strikes me as wickedly funny. Makes me like this game all the more.

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: November 02, 2004, 10:15:40 AM

Quote from: Threash
That is until people figured out they could charm other peoples pets in pvp and stole your lvl 20 lynx :P

LOL. Luckily no one figured that out against me yet.

I'm really interested in the 9th slot for the temp 24 hour skill charm. You could use it for all kinds of things like the pet charm skill or one of the fire area effects, or the necro minion spell with any character combo. Or two pets (that's speculation of coarse)?

Necro minions and a pet at the same time? Plus 4 henchment? Could really get your own army going on there.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: November 02, 2004, 12:30:31 PM

Quote from: Krakrok
I'm really interested in the 9th slot for the temp 24 hour skill charm.

I'm not sure where this idea came up but there is no 9th slot. What you get is a skill in your skill list that you can use for 24 hours -- but you drag it into your usual slot bar of 8 skills.

I took a monk healing skill for use with my mesmer/elem; while it was nice to try out the healing skill from a different profession, the downside was it prevented me from taking any other special non-class skills such as Resurrection Signet.

Perhaps the charm that lets you temp learn skills from your own profession creates a 9th slot? I tend to doubt it -- the 8 slot limitation is one of the ways I find this game balances out those who may play a lot (and therefore have 150 skills to choose from) and those who play only casually (and thus only have 50 skills) -- yet the number of skills, and time played to get them, does not override skillful play by the player with fewer skills to choose from.

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: November 02, 2004, 01:30:22 PM

Quote from: Sobelius
I'm not sure where this idea came up but there is no 9th slot. What you get is a skill in your skill list that you can use for 24 hours -- but you drag it into your usual slot bar of 8 skills.

Someone mentioned it here on the forum so it could be a myth.

I never got around to testing the charm necklaces? Is that what you used got the healing charm? Did you try the basic and the advanced necklace?

Edit: Here are 114 screenshots I took during this preview.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Game On  
Jump to: