Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:03:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Demonologists 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Demonologists  (Read 15096 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: June 07, 2008, 03:05:56 PM

How are they in the 1-20 game, 30-40, PvP? It's the one class I didn't spend much time with during beta so am thinking that'll be my first one tonight.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 03:24:18 PM

They are pretty awful at everything right now.  They are actually on the "to do" list for the devs because they are so bad.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 03:37:37 PM

ok, so then for ranged facemelting, stick with ToS? I loved it in late beta and schulz recommends that or PoM in the general MMO AoC thread. PoM seem too healer for me.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 04:56:08 PM

I'm a PoM and the only time I heal is via my great DPS spells DRILLING AND MANLINESS.  I hear ToS are more powerful though.

PoM don't really get too strong until a bit later though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 05:10:59 PM

BS! My PoM was strong the moment she got Repulse. From then on it was pure face meltage.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 05:11:40 PM

That was 30s something though right?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 05:18:54 PM

Funny how the Demonologist thread is about how the healer types are better nukers.  I quit my Demo at 14 because I couldn't take the pain anymore.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:23:29 PM

I guess I like pain (but not leveling). Seems like a fine class to me with a level 27. Better than an assassin or a conquerer. I will say though that rangers stab shit to death.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 07:49:22 PM

Demos are pretty poor.  They're not quite as bad off, IMO, as necros since they get decent mileage out of their nukes.  Necros go OOM very easily and their spells scale very poorly.

The problem you have is that you're a squishy clothie with only your damage absorption spell preventing you from becoming a grease spot.  You have one root (at this point), and it's a ground target. The class could really use a nice knockback. Unlike a ToS, your spells are mainly single target with very little (and often non working) splash damage.  Any 3+ pull, you better AE it to death, and when they nerfed AE cooldowns (did they unnerf it?) it became a lot harder to live.  Lightning tree has some more CC built into it, but I found the cast times problematic (there are feats to reduce some of this) and a ToS does it better anyhow.

Demos start off rather godly and then run into scaling problems with their main nukes.  Mob hp goes up and up, and you go from 1 shotting, to 3-4 shotting to at the point I was at, needing 7+ casts of a 2 second nuke to take down a single even con.  The problem with certain finger wavers is that you don't have combos with directional attacks that will sweep over a group of enemies.  I toss a giant fireball into pack of bandits and my main target takes 300+ damage standing near his elbows take maybe 30 damage if any. Channeled cone based spells are a good way to make yourself dead towards your mid twenties as your absorption spells won't stand up to that kind of pounding.

And before anyone says it, there's issues with aggro that make starting off with an AE spell problematic.  Mob linking and aggro still are not working very well and your intended 2-3 pull could end up pulling 5+, which means start sprinting backwards.

Unlike most classes that I felt got stronger and came into their own at around lvl 24-25, the demo and necro just felt like their weaknesses were starting to show. You're too squishy, your damage scales poorly, your feats a) suck b) make no sense and/or c) don't work, and in the case of the demo: your pet is a fucking joke.  If you want to play a finger waver now, pick a ToS or PoM. 

You could always get one to 20 and shelve it.  I did (for both necro and demo @25).

Edit: Havoc tree has knockbacks, too bad you'll be minimum lvl 50 before you see them.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:01:00 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 09:14:03 PM

BS! My PoM was strong the moment she got Repulse. From then on it was pure face meltage.
By "a little later" I meant once you are off Tortage.  At 57 I just love my damage, I can grind in the cannibal cave to no end because I just love doing so much dps.  I have to stop myself from giggling.

We are going to get nerfed so hard at some point...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:16:58 PM by Miasma »
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 02:13:10 AM

Pretty sure I'll be 80 by the time they get nerfed.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 07:13:41 AM

I did the expected thing and rolled a ToS smiley However I was bored by 7. So ignoring the problems, I ended up rolling a Demonologist and am now 17, back in the Daytime quests between Awakening III and The Final Battle in Tortage.

I'm loving it. I can still take on 2-3 my_level+1 NPCs (Picts are easier than Red Hand and ranged is easier than Melee). My one root lasts just long enough and my AOE is damned good. However the difference between 2 and 3 NPCs is the difference between me being food/drink stat buffed or not. So I'm addicted to consumables for now.

I didn't play enough before Tuesdays class buff to really see the difference. And I'm not high enough to really feel the benefits of Feat speccing. I am missing the inability to respec though as I made the bannable offense of choosing by "what looks cool": that should be illegal in games or levels without respecs.

So far so good. I'm loving the class but mostly because I love the pew pew fire burning archetypical wizard. Yea, it's pretty much the same as other MMOs, but the operative word for me in AoC is "pretty". Goddamned this game looks good. I've stopped taking screenshots because the oh-wow moments are near constant for me.

Unless it's the stupid too-repeated run from Mithrelle's lair to Tortage. Yea, I don't ever need to do that again.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 07:47:34 AM

Pretty sure the game is balanced around using consumables. You will be always using them, for the life of your character, regardless of class.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 08:08:07 AM

As this thread already is about demons:

What about the Herald of Xotli?

From the sound of it, for me it's either that or the Demo.

Yeah, I was forced to go to church far too often....

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 08:30:21 AM

Pretty sure the game is balanced around using consumables. You will be always using them, for the life of your character, regardless of class.

Ah, well that makes sense. Can we craft them yet?
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 08:31:43 AM

I've played a HoX to the low 20s.

Pro: you BURN THINGS. you BREATHE FIRE AND BURN THINGS while swinging a REALLY BIG SWORD and things DIE in FIRE. All your combos do WTF massive AOE damage. You can also turn into a demon for even more burnination, assuming things are not already burned to death. Eventually you get Fire Lance through a talent which can do thousands of points of burst damage. HoXs are good if you like the combo system, like spells, and like making things burn. in fire.

Con: you have no armor. you have no survivability. Every combat is either you kill everything massively or you fall over dead. Fire Lance just got nerfed (surprising exactly no one).  If you dislike dying you may want to try something else.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:34:00 AM

Ah, well that makes sense. Can we craft them yet?

I don't think anyone knows much about crafting at this point, other than much of it is broken.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 08:50:36 AM

Egad, someone spelled Herald right.  Wow.

I've heard good things about them at high levels, but at low levels, they are quite squishy.

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 01:34:07 PM

I've heard good things about them at high levels, but at low levels, they are quite squishy.

Honestly, I had it "Herold" but then had to look up Xotli and decided to just c&p the whole name ;)

Well, I'll test out both demo classes as soon as I get my copy of the game xD

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 02:37:06 PM

Honestly, I had it "Herold" but then had to look up Xotli and decided to just c&p the whole name ;)

Well, I'll test out both demo classes as soon as I get my copy of the game xD

I play a HoX as my main. He is 37 on the RP-PVP server. Lum pretty much summed it up. You burn shit to death, hit it with a big ass two handed sword, and turn in to a demon. Fun concept. But it has some problems. The first being that several of the defensive PVP feats completely dont work. Also cloth + melee can be  very brutal some times.
I find most fights last at maximum 20 seconds, and ether I am surrounded by a big pile of burnt corpses or I am surrounded by a bunch of monsters emoting "corpse rape" over my body.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 09:43:13 AM

Like I mentioned in a different thread...HoX plus ToS = Nasty

My ToS gave some survivibilty to the huge burst damage that is a HoX. We were beasting people.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 05:01:03 PM

I got a demonologist to level 12, at which point I couldn't take any more of the incredibly frequent, obnoxious and repetitive pet noises.  I mean, seriously, goddamn.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 05:04:07 PM

I have yet to find any real reason to have the pet out. It does no damage of relevance. It barely a 5% mana boost. And it gets stuck all the time. Seriously, there's no "Demon" in the Demonologist for me. It's a Wizard that I don't get a mana buff for. Big deal.

Now maybe someday that Demon will matter. But for now I'm all about the fire.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Demonologists  
Jump to: